Profile For Old School

Old School's Info

Nacogdoches, TX

Experienced Driver

Old School On The Web

6 years, 5 months ago

Old School's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Old School's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 29

Posted:  3 hours, 12 minutes ago

Want to know why there are bad trailers out there?

Can't get it done much better, professionally, reliably, or safer than off the clock on a 34, in a well lit, open parking lot where no other trailer can block access to my trailer with enough notice so that I can drive safely down the road to my con.

Hey Solo, you've got the right attitude when you say this...

every day is a learning lesson, which I like.

Here's something I tend to tell the new guys on my dedicated gig. "Don't try to figure out the best way to run the company. Your job is to run your truck in a way that makes you money." To do that you've got to learn how the company likes to do things, then you coordinate your efforts so they mesh well with their policies. Had I been in this situation, I would have planned on parking for my break at a Loves or a TA that has a mechanic shop and tire service. Because I already know that's where they will send me. None of these companies want to pay for road service if it can be avoided.

A big part of learning how to be successful out here is to learn how your company likes to operate, and then making sure you are making every effort to make it easy on them to keep you rolling. This is nothing more than a rookie mistake on your part, and a step in the right direction if you learn some valuable lessons from it. Don't try to figure out what you think is best. Always go with what they consider best.

Posted:  4 hours, 47 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

Is he going to give you a blue truck? That could be a deal breaker, if you get a turd brown truck!

Posted:  10 hours, 18 minutes ago

Moving while out of hours?

I hope that's a good move, but I have my reservations. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but sometimes it can really be a PITA at a small trucking company. It may suit you well, and of course I hope it does. Best of luck man!

Posted:  19 hours, 1 minute ago

Moving while out of hours?

Bruce, each company can set their own parameters on how this works. What Keith is saying is specific to Knight Transportation.

Posted:  1 day, 1 hour ago

Prepass question

Pretty sure it's your batteries. It will still light up randomly for thirty minutes or so after going by a scale. All 3 colors lighting up is usually a low battery.

Posted:  1 day, 7 hours ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

Brett, I'm not sure I did mine as a diary. It seemed I just posted my experiences in various different threads. Plus, I'm pretty sure that took place in our old forum.

Posted:  1 day, 7 hours ago

Prepass question

I think you need to replace your batteries. I'm pretty sure that when all 3 lights come on that's an indication that your batteries are weak. Try that and let us know what happens.

Posted:  1 day, 10 hours ago

Thinking of Packrat...

Congratulations PackRat!

It sounds like you're doing very well. An American Soldier never gets distracted with all the difficulties and chaos going on around him. He's focused on his mission and makes it happen. Those same qualities make for great truck drivers. It looks to me like you're at the top of your game. Keep it up, and next time we end up parked at the same truck stop, I'm gonna find you and be very proud to shake your hand!

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

CDL REVOKED

The only entity with authority to revoke your CDL is the state from which it was issued. This really seems odd. It doesn't matter how many surgeries one has. As long as you can pass the physical you can keep your CDL. Trust me, I've seen plenty of drivers that seem like they can barely get in and out of their truck, but they're still getting a paycheck from driving a truck.

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

CDL REVOKED

I've never heard of anything like this. I seriously doubt if this letter exists. I'd sure have asked him to show me a copy of it. I have no idea why he would tell you this if it's not true, but something just doesn't sound right about this.

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Is Freight Slow Right Now?

Jewel in Chicago anyone?

Haha, no thanks!

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Trucking as a new career

Welcome Alfred!

You should consider the Paid CDL Training Programs. They will determine if they can hire you before you start their school. You didn't mention your medications. That is one thing that my cause you some problems with being considered for employment. Remember we are in a very safety sensitive position. These companies want to move freight, but it has to be done responsibly with as much limited liability as possible.

You're diagnosis won't keep you out. We've seen other folks that are bi-polar get hired on, but the stress of the job may be a trigger that you don't need. Start a conversation with some recruiters you contact after reading that link I provided. You may need to get your doctor to change your medications. You'll need to start a conversation with some recruiters and find out how to proceed.

Have you seen these? They are full of great information for you.

Posted:  3 days, 3 hours ago

Game: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

I love Turtle's response. That's how I am. I was Born Ready! Listen to the video in that link. It describes me.

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Flat-bedding Is Easy!

I'm a little busy right now, but I'm going to answer the questions you guys raised tomorrow when I finish this load.

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Grabbing wrong trailer?

Don, on my account we almost always pick up pre-loaded trailers. I've seen this happen several times. The drivers get in too big a hurry, and grab the wrong trailer. Sometimes I've seen it happen where the shipper accidentally puts the wrong trailer number on the paperwork - that's a mess. We're pulling flatbeds though. I always confirm the tags on the material as being the load I'm supposed to get. Once I picked up my load and the shipper had put the wrong bay number, and the wrong trailer number on my paperwork! I still found the right one, but I had to do a little investigating.

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Thinking of Packrat...

Maybe I could use the handicap parking spots at the TS now?

You sure could. I'd be glad to see you in one. Hang in there my friend. You've got a lot to deal with right now. We're all glad to hear from ya!

Posted:  3 days, 23 hours ago

Flat-bedding Is Easy!

Well, not always, but when you get a load like this one it sure seems easy. I just came off of 6 days at home and here's my first load. We call these crazy things "logs."

0751307001553039857.jpg

This stuff is easy. You just throw your straps, buckle your seat belt, and point that truck in the direction you want to go. It's got 1,200 miles of driving on this load, and nothing could be easier. I love it!

Here's an intriguing thing about this load. I need the rear axles closed for one state I'll be in. Check out the weight on my rear tandems.

0357701001553040135.jpg

Life on the edge! It's always more fun that way!

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Testing out to go solo

Congratulations!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

I never tire of seeing you new guys make this announcement of success. It's a great pleasure to share advice with you along the way and watch you progress and develop. Again, Congratulations!

Posted:  4 days, 4 hours ago

Regrets

Kim, this is a great discussion.

You are going through all the tough emotions and adjustments every new truck driver goes through. I find it interesting that you keep mentioning the negatives as being parking difficulties, getting tied up at shippers/receivers, and insufficient home time. For the most part those are rookie issues. Experienced drivers seldom have those issues because they know how to capitalize on them, and use their knowledge and street smarts to turn what rookies consider as obstacles, into opportunities to get more accomplished.

All of us were surprised when you quit abruptly. We supported you, but secretly were disappointed. You hadn't done what we teach all the time - to stick it out for one year. That commitment makes such a difference. It is just that - a commitment. I would always rather see a new driver decide to quit after that trying first year, than immediately following their training time. There is a world of difference in their vantage point and their enjoyment of this career at that point.

I'm glad you're still considering this, but I would also recommend that you strongly consider that one year commitment also. You may very well decide to get back to a terribly boring office job, but you'll have such a greater vantage point to base your decision on after gaining some valuable experience. Trucking is tough, especially getting started in it. I love what I do, but I second guessed myself a thousand times during that training period and rookie year. There's no looking back for me now. I'm "all in." There's plenty of others like me in here, and we would be more than happy to help you and give support and advice whenever you ask us.

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

Prime CDL Training - Springfield, MO

I completely agree with Rainy. Britton, every one of us knows the struggles you dealt with. This job is tough on married couples and parents. There's just no getting around that. Congratulations on finding local employment. Be really careful and cautious - you're the new guy - you're the easiest to let go. Those jobs can be real tough, and oftentimes require the same long hours as an OTR driving job.

We would love to hear an update every now and then. You could provide some helpful insight to starting out as a local driver.