Profile For Old School

Old School's Info

Nacogdoches, TX

Experienced Driver

Old School On The Web

6 years, 6 months ago

Old School's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Old School's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 29

Posted:  10 hours, 53 minutes ago

Thinking of Packrat...

PackRat, I like tough guys. You are the new poster child for them as far as I'm concerned.

We're all thrilled you are doing so well.

Posted:  10 hours, 58 minutes ago

Motorists soon may encounter a different kind of truck convoy

I've never picked up a load going to one destination that needed 6 or 7 trucks to get it there. This is extremely limited in it's usefulness, and very heavy on liability issues.

It's nice to be needed for our job, and the ideas that these brainiacs keep coming up with to improve the efficiency of logistics are improving our job security level exponentially.

Posted:  2 days ago

Ok CB poll

Cobra 29 - it's as solid as a rock. It's so solid you won't even need a backup. PackRat has probably had his backup unit for twentysomething years. He's still going strong with his original radio. smile.gif

My Cobra 29 is over twenty years old.

Posted:  2 days ago

Sold on Leasing... no, Lease Purchase!

Jason, I've been a business owner most of my life. I've signed way more paychecks than I will ever receive. I've even owned a few big rigs.

Do you ever stop and ask yourself why isn't everybody jumping headlong into leasing or lease/purchasing? If it was a clear cut windfall we would all be right in there. We all make a ton of sacrifices to be in this career. Don't you think we would all be leasing trucks if it had such potential to bring us higher incomes. Everybody wants to maximize their income, just like you do.

It's funny how the guys who are brand new to trucking can always get it all figured out. Some of them think it's the type of freight you haul that will make you rich. Others think the big money comes from working for the small "family run" trucking companies. Some think you have to own the equipment and be able to select your own loads. Everybody has their own theories, but they're all void of what it really takes to be successful at this.

Every successful driver I've known, be they Owner/Operator, or company driver, knows how to get things accomplished out here. They don't simply rely on specialized freight or put all their hope in specific companies. They make sacrifices, they take calculated risks, they have an inner motivation to be the best of the best. They are working while others are sleeping, they know how to get the most out of their time management practices, and they have great relationships with the support people/staff/dispatchers in the office. They are like the star athletes on a team. They are always going to score when they get the ball.

To put it simply... they make things happen. None of that has anything to do with setting up an LLC, or structuring some goofy corporate arrangement to get yourself a real paycheck. It's all about motivation and execution. Motivation seems easy to come by for some, but execution is where reality starts to come into focus. There are a lot of failures in trucking. Many are willing, but few are able.

Jason, my advice would be to learn how to execute your newfound craft as a company driver first. Make sure you are really good at making things happen in your favor out here. That in itself is a tall order. If you can't prove to be a really awesome company driver, you'll likely never make it as a lease/operator. You'll realize pretty quickly if you've got the mojo it takes to be at the top of your game consistently out here. Very few have that ability, but that's the only thing that will set you apart and mark you for success out here.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, but I still feel better for doing it. Good luck my friend - you will definitely need it!

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

Sold on Leasing... no, Lease Purchase!

Actually weekly settlements can be very misleading. They don't include all the expenses that a lease/operator has. What you want to see is how much income they report on their income tax return.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

Sold on Leasing... no, Lease Purchase!

Don’t misunderstand- I have no intention of being an owner/operator.

I'm not sure why you think we're misunderstanding something. I'm pretty sure you are the one misunderstanding what you're getting into.

Posted:  2 days, 2 hours ago

Sold on Leasing... no, Lease Purchase!

Jason, do you want to be a trainer?

Posted:  2 days, 8 hours ago

Want to know why there are bad trailers out there?

Can't get it done much better, professionally, reliably, or safer than off the clock on a 34, in a well lit, open parking lot where no other trailer can block access to my trailer with enough notice so that I can drive safely down the road to my con.

Hey Solo, you've got the right attitude when you say this...

every day is a learning lesson, which I like.

Here's something I tend to tell the new guys on my dedicated gig. "Don't try to figure out the best way to run the company. Your job is to run your truck in a way that makes you money." To do that you've got to learn how the company likes to do things, then you coordinate your efforts so they mesh well with their policies. Had I been in this situation, I would have planned on parking for my break at a Loves or a TA that has a mechanic shop and tire service. Because I already know that's where they will send me. None of these companies want to pay for road service if it can be avoided.

A big part of learning how to be successful out here is to learn how your company likes to operate, and then making sure you are making every effort to make it easy on them to keep you rolling. This is nothing more than a rookie mistake on your part, and a step in the right direction if you learn some valuable lessons from it. Don't try to figure out what you think is best. Always go with what they consider best.

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

Moving while out of hours?

Is he going to give you a blue truck? That could be a deal breaker, if you get a turd brown truck!

Posted:  2 days, 15 hours ago

Moving while out of hours?

I hope that's a good move, but I have my reservations. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but sometimes it can really be a PITA at a small trucking company. It may suit you well, and of course I hope it does. Best of luck man!

Posted:  3 days ago

Moving while out of hours?

Bruce, each company can set their own parameters on how this works. What Keith is saying is specific to Knight Transportation.

Posted:  3 days, 6 hours ago

Prepass question

Pretty sure it's your batteries. It will still light up randomly for thirty minutes or so after going by a scale. All 3 colors lighting up is usually a low battery.

Posted:  3 days, 12 hours ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

Brett, I'm not sure I did mine as a diary. It seemed I just posted my experiences in various different threads. Plus, I'm pretty sure that took place in our old forum.

Posted:  3 days, 13 hours ago

Prepass question

I think you need to replace your batteries. I'm pretty sure that when all 3 lights come on that's an indication that your batteries are weak. Try that and let us know what happens.

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Thinking of Packrat...

Congratulations PackRat!

It sounds like you're doing very well. An American Soldier never gets distracted with all the difficulties and chaos going on around him. He's focused on his mission and makes it happen. Those same qualities make for great truck drivers. It looks to me like you're at the top of your game. Keep it up, and next time we end up parked at the same truck stop, I'm gonna find you and be very proud to shake your hand!

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

CDL REVOKED

The only entity with authority to revoke your CDL is the state from which it was issued. This really seems odd. It doesn't matter how many surgeries one has. As long as you can pass the physical you can keep your CDL. Trust me, I've seen plenty of drivers that seem like they can barely get in and out of their truck, but they're still getting a paycheck from driving a truck.

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

CDL REVOKED

I've never heard of anything like this. I seriously doubt if this letter exists. I'd sure have asked him to show me a copy of it. I have no idea why he would tell you this if it's not true, but something just doesn't sound right about this.

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

Is Freight Slow Right Now?

Jewel in Chicago anyone?

Haha, no thanks!

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Trucking as a new career

Welcome Alfred!

You should consider the Paid CDL Training Programs. They will determine if they can hire you before you start their school. You didn't mention your medications. That is one thing that my cause you some problems with being considered for employment. Remember we are in a very safety sensitive position. These companies want to move freight, but it has to be done responsibly with as much limited liability as possible.

You're diagnosis won't keep you out. We've seen other folks that are bi-polar get hired on, but the stress of the job may be a trigger that you don't need. Start a conversation with some recruiters you contact after reading that link I provided. You may need to get your doctor to change your medications. You'll need to start a conversation with some recruiters and find out how to proceed.

Have you seen these? They are full of great information for you.

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Game: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

I love Turtle's response. That's how I am. I was Born Ready! Listen to the video in that link. It describes me.