Comments By DeJuan J.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/128.jpg avatar
  • DeJuan J.
  • Comments:

Frustrated isn't the word for this new truck driver!!!!

Are you going to get breakdown pay? Did your DM say anything about getting you in a different truck?

Yeah that only bad part is I don't think the breakdown pay kicks in until you've been down 24hrs

Dang dude, straight into the fire! shocked.png

Don`t sweat any of this. Keep all of your receipts and definitely check into the 24 hr thing for breakdown pay. My company starts it after 2 hrs (4 if doing a PM). Keep a good attitude at all times toward your DM, the mechanics and other drivers at the terminals (you never know who you may be talking to). It will pay off.

Just come on here and release your frustration like I do smile.gif

Y Yeah my DM sent me a text apologizing that I had to go through all of this. I guess he couldn't let no one hear him being soft!lol

Frustrated isn't the word for this new truck driver!!!!

Hmm...since they sent you to pick up a truck the mechanic had told them wasn't right in the first place, seems like they could spring for breakdown pay from the git-go. Especially since you paid cab fare. But maybe they'll recognize your good attitude and reward you. Good luck!

Yeah man this cold weather isn't making it any better. The shop is closed all next week so that doesn't give me a lot to work with.

Frustrated isn't the word for this new truck driver!!!!

Frustrated isn't the word for this new truck driver!!!!

Well they all warned us there will be days like this, but instead of whining and complaining you seem to be taking the high road for real! I have to say that is some big test they are giving you on your solo run. Hopefully you are rewarded down the road for this adventure. I am sure the check mark will look good to your DM. Stay warm and positive and just consider it a little test. Also joke with your DM that you deserve a New Truck for this.

Yeah I agree with this just keep your head up and show them u can understand and that its not your FMs fault and trust me u should get breakdown pay and if u keep the receipt from the cab they will pay you back for it and they should put you in a motel till the truck is fixed..... Who are you working for

They just put me in a motel. I work for Knight Transportation. Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Frustrated isn't the word for this new truck driver!!!!

My first mission as a solo driver was to go by Greyhound from Birmingham, AL to Chicago, Illinois then catch a cab 50 miles away to Joliet to our yard to recover a truck then head to Indy, then my home terminal in Atlanta to get my own truck. Monday afternoon I left on the bus headed to Chicago. I got to Chicago Tuesday at 2:30pm, my FM gave me $100 for cab fare, it ended up being $160.00 so I spent $60.00 of my own. I get to the yard to grab the truck and look for the trailer on the yard that I'm suppose to be getting and its not there.

Night dispatch tells me there's nothing they can do so wait until the am, alright fine but its 20 degrees outside and the truck won't idle. It keeps cutting off and the heat won't get hot and the bunker heat is broken completely. Have yall ever had to sleep in 20 degree weather? My toes were literally numb but I survived. I look around the truck for paper logs because now the Qualcomm is broken, guess what? There's no paper logs! My FM tells me to go buy some smh.

I try to leave the yard and get out of the gate but guess what I have no badge because when I tested out at the Memphis terminal he told me my home terminal would give me a badge so I had to wait 30 min for someone else to leave and I followed him out of the gate. Alright no harm no foul, I begin to head towards the interstate and I see a pick up truck speeding from behind I pay him no mind so I get on the interstate and notice I can't accelerate past 30mph then all of a sudden the truck shuts down in the middle of the interstate.

I wiggle to the shoulder and the guy from the pick up truck get's over with me and says I'm the mechanic from the yard where are you trying to go in that truck because it won't be far its a piece of crap! I said I was told to come recover it. He said this truck hasn't run right since October and when I saw you I knew you would be on the side of the road soon. He said there's nothing he can do with it, so I called break down and they sent me to the International dealership which just so happened to be on the next exit.

I get to International and guess what they tell me? They're backed up because of the holiday's so it'll be a few days. All I've done was lose money this week I haven't made a dime, and the mechanic from the yard told me he has let them know numerous times the truck was undriveable but I would be the one who was sent to go get it. A bad way to start my trucking career. Smh

Recovering a truck

I'm leaving out of Birmingham tonight via Greyhound going to Chicago then catching a cab to Joliet to recover a truck which I have a feeling is going to be my own for a while. Question. My FM told me to catch a taxi from the bus station to Joliet which 41 miles away to my understanding and he said keep the receipt and he'll reimburse me. My question is why do I have to come out of pocket for that ride? Also I don't ride taxis requently so I have no idea what to expect as far as cab fare for traveling 40-50 miles. Seems expensive.

Try this...Cab Fare Calculator

Looks like close to a $100 fare.

Thanks that was an huge help

Recovering a truck

Lower back soreness

This may provide a little help. I have had the same problem driving military trucks.

Thanks it was very helpful

I'm a good candidate for school, except for my credit score.

Lol. If they look at your credit score then there wouldn't be very many truckers!

Lower back soreness

I'm 6'4 and I have always sat high in the chair. I also push the seat as far back as possible. Sometimes I catch myself leaning forward while driving, putting more pressure on the lower back. Try to make a conscious effort to stay back in the seat at all times. I also keep my chair back up as far as possible. Lots of drivers like to lean back but I prefer the support. Very important to find a comfortable driving position. Good luck

I finally figured out the problem! I lean forward a lot while driving instead of sitting back! You are exactly right!!!! That's what I'm doing! I will get that back brace also

Lower back soreness

I'm 6'5 and having problems finding my correct comfort zone in the seats. When Let all the air out of the seat and sit low it hurts my butt but supports my back. When I raise it high it doesn't hurt my butt but it makes my back sore when done. Not sure if any of you are tall but do you have any suggestions for my seat?

A Hard Truth Realized

Prayers up

Class A in hand & a BIG THANK YOU!

Congrats!!!

Local Companies

This is why I say if your looking to go local apply any and everywhere! Worst they can say is no, or not call you back.

Absolutely!

Local Companies

Dejuan, sometimes what they say and what they actually do are two different things. Usually if they are needing drivers bad enough they may go against their usual standards, but it is also a buffer to try and keep hundreds of inexperienced drivers coming in and applying for jobs wasting their time.

Yeah I see what you're saying.

Local Companies

I see a lot of local driving jobs require 2 years of verifiable tractor trailer experience but I always see guys who've been driving for less than that in their trucks. So is that something they just say? I always thought you only needed 1 year. Is it really 2 years?

Before direct deposit existed

Dejuan, there was a time when most drivers had their pay transferred to a card like Comdata where they could get access to it at the truck stops. Before that, as strange as it may seem, the trucking companies would try to route their drivers by the office once every two weeks so they could pick up their check, or in some cases their family members might live close by the terminal and be allowed to come get the check, or it could also be mailed to your home address.

Imagine having to mail your BOLs and your paperwork in for payment, or having to use a pay phone at the truck stop so you could call home, or find out what your next load will be from your dispatcher. Back in the day there were pay phones at the tables in the truck stop cafes, or a separate room set aside with 10 or 15 pay phones lined up against the wall with a bench full of anxious drivers trying to find out what they needed to do next. Yes, times are good today. I still remember when if a truck driver had a flat tire he would pull over to the side of the road, remove the wheel and start breaking the bead with a sledge hammer so he could get his spare tire on to the wheel, then put it all back together so he could get rolling again.

We've a new generation of drivers today who have little or no sense of what their forerunners went through to survive at this career. We've got it so good, but if you look at our prevalent attitudes on the internet you would think we were a bunch pansies who are afraid of hard work and long hours. I'm proud to be in this profession, and I'm so glad to see young guys like you, and the many others we share with in this forum getting into this career. There is a lot of history and tradition in this business that is being forgotten, but the will and the determination to succeed and the sacrifices that one makes to be a reliable and professional trustworthy driver are still in demand.

I was at a truck stop somewhere I believe up north where I saw all those phone jacks slots removed inside an Iron Skillet I thought to myself why did they have phones at every table and now you've amswered it. I bet you had to have a very strong wife to last in the trucking industry back then! Changing your own tire???whew

Weird

Yeah I'm staying put as long as I can because the last thing I want to go through again is going out with a trainer.

Before direct deposit existed

How in the world did driver's get their money before direct deposit existed?

Weird

Hey Dejuan, there is no telling what info about you is being made public to other companies (minus the obvious DAC report). Here`s a funny thing though: I was being hounded by companies that had refused my application from when I finished school up to a few months ago, and now, nothing. I guess they figure if I lasted a year here they have no chance... They are right. I got lucky and found my fit.

Lol. Yeah its weird some companies still call me at least once a week you would think they've given up by now.