Comments By Matt S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Matt S.
  • Comments:

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

I found that placing one hand at 12 o'clock and only using small 1/4 turns to make your corrections makes for the easiest straight-line backs.

Thank you for the tip. I think you helped me realize I was maybe over steering.

[A Certain] Trucking School - An Honest Review

Larry B.,

You're the same guy who told me that I have no integrity a few days ago. All about a situation that you've never been in but somehow you know all about what to do even though you haven't turned a single mile.

I'm going to post in this thread once and then I'm out, nothing good can come of it and I can't believe it takes three experienced drivers to tell you something without you blowing it off. Go ahead and rule Brett out, after all, he hasn't been in a driving school in many years right?

Alright, so maybe I can shed some light on this considering I went through what the poster went through. I went to a school, I drove on an ancient 1992 Freightliner with about 1.4 million miles on it. I also did my training in the winter time. That trucks transmission was worn, the heater didn't work, and there was 4" of mud on the ground. And guess what? This was a multi-million dollar company running this school. If they can't afford to put us in a brand new truck then how do you expect an independent private school to?

And why do you even deserve the best of the best? You're just someone coming in trying out for trucking. Just because you can fork over 5 grand doesn't mean you'll survive this job. Fact, my class started with 10 and ended with only 2 graduating. So why have great trucks for students when the typical student doesn't even graduate? Your 5 grand means nothing compared to the cost of a decent truck, not to mention the fuel costs that the student racks up driving it as well as all the damage to the transmission that each student causes with their grinding.

If people would stop being customers to these "low budget trucking schools" then they would close down. The last thing they'll do is buy new equipment for their students to destroy within a week.

So lets get back to my experiences.

I never complained about having to drive that 1992 Freightliner. In fact, I fell in love with it. I complained only about one instructor and that was to my wife because this particular instructor just wasn't a good teacher (not all of them are). The transmission sucked but I dealt with it and I bought myself boots for the mud. A successful future driver doesn't complain, they make it happen.

In that school I learned on three different trucks. When I went to take my test I did it in a completely different transmission and truck. I still passed. Why? Because I got to studying instead of going online complaining.

You're right about being a paying customer, but you're forgetting that there's a million grey areas in trucking.

We can't really explain it to you any better. You just have to figure it out on your own when you get out here. But judging from your previous posts, I think you have it figured out better than anyone of us do.

As for OS, respectively, get off his ass. The man makes one "bad" post in 2,000 posts and you raise your pitchforks like you did with me.

Anyways, good luck out there.

Daniel thanks for still talking to me even though you are still mad. I don't have anything figured out. You guys are the experts out there on the road not me. If you re read this thread maybe you will see I was just standing up for someone I felt was unjustly attacked because he gave an honest review of his experience. Just facts. He probably felt the same way you did when you thought I questioned your integrity. Think about that for a second. And it looks like we ran him off so all this is a mute point anyway. He came here trying to help and look what we did. Oh well, he never would have made it out there anyway right?

We don't really know if Jason's review of his experience is accurate or objective. Larry, it's good of you to give him the benefit of the doubt but people who get upset tend to lash out in hyperbole and exaggeration. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, we forget the role that we play in our own upset. I know, I've been there myself. But sometimes even if you feel you've been mistreated, it still helps to be polite, conciliatory, and respectful. You never know, this Mrs. T might actually be a decent person having a bad day or going through a rough time.

While in company paid school, I got yelled at but rather than getting my hackles up, I simply listened. We have the power to control our own reactions to a situation. Sure, I still failed out but they worked with me as much as they could, above and beyond. The instructors even suggested going to a private school because they felt I was close to getting the straight line backup, I just needed a slower paced learning environment. Attitude is key! So, since I was able to maintain composure and professionalism, I got positive support and am now going to attend the school that one instructor recommended.

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Today I was unable to pass the straight line backing exam so I will be headed home tomorrow morning. I came very, very close so I'm anything but upset. In fact, I feel positive and motivated. I've learned that I am academically very strong but need a little more hand holding when it comes to the range. In light of this and at the advice of the very competent instructors, I will be seeking private schooling. One of the instructors even mentioned that C.R. England's schooling environment may be better suited for folks like me that need extra help. This much said, I had one helluva fun time sitting up in that big rig and I have so much respect for truck drivers: you are the consumate professionals! On Monday, I will be going for private schooling as soon as is possible.

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Today started out tough! Never in my life had I imagined the difficulty of straight line backing. I'll get some more time to train this afternoon and then two attempts to pass. It's difficult for me to know which way and how much to turn the wheel. I was either under or over steering.

I'm still hopeful that this will click in time to pass on either the first or second attempt. I want to slow down, adjust my mirrors, and relax. Also I want to hold the steering wheel at 9 and 3 as my instructor suggested.

No matter how this afternoon plays out, I won't quit. If I have to buy an additional week of training, I'm prepared to do so. I'm discouraged but not down and out!

Starting with Prime Dec. 1st

Thanks Matt. I will. One thing I've finally learned in life is "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

I don't look forward to a 20 hour bus ride to Springfield, but I'm looking forward to a new career.

Yeah, the grey dawg ain't no fun nohow! But, like you said, it's a beginning to a new chapter! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving from Irving, TX!

Happy Thanksgiving from Richmond, VA. May everyone be happy and healthy! May all truckers and students have many future successes

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Tomorrow is going to be a rather critical day at the Swift Academy at Richmond: one of these make or break days that could be the great eliminator. It will be day 1 on the range with a straightline backing exam. I'm a bit nervous about this as the largest thing I really ever drove was a 24 ft. box truck and let's just say I didn't even drive it long enough to get any experience that matters. It will be just time to be a sponge and soak in as much information as possible and ask questions when unclear. According to our classroom instructor, we will be broken up into three groups according to our driving experience. I think I'll just go with the absolute beginner group as I want to make no assumptions about my ability. I'd rather the training be a little bit elementary than be completely out of my league. The old adage applies that you can learn something from anyone applies. Please wish me luck ... I want this very badly!

Just got hired by Swift!

Russ, sorry I had forgotten about this old thread. Started a new one for Nov. 24th.

Permit achieved now off to CDL school

Hi Mark! All the best man!

Starting with Prime Dec. 1st

Well, I've passed my Colorado State CDL permit test and added a few endorsements. I've been accepted on at Prime and start my schooling/training Dec. 1st. The process to get through all the background checks etc. wasn't too tedious and the recruiter I've been working with was helpful, thorough and professional.

Hopefully I'll get a good trainer and our personalities mesh. I'll keep an update date going thru the smart phone.

Wish me luck!

Excellent man! Dec. 1st is right around the corner and you should be good to go. Keep positive and keep working hard! The only easy day was yesterday ;-)

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Today the seriousness of the whole profession sunk in for four more people. We had the map reading exams consisting of two separate tests and four people got sent home. The class started with 16 and we're down to 11. On the 3rd day you can tell who is really serious and who is not. I met one other guy who seems to have my same level of determination and drive. While he is only 29, his work ethic and attitude are impressive beyond estimation. He doesn't have much money so I treated him to a decent lunch today. This guy has a young wife and a son whom it's obvious that he loves dearly and wants to do everything possible and legal to get them out of poverty. I really admire the way he talks about and adores his wife. He speaks lovingly of how she keeps him in line and cares deeply about him. I want to see this guy succeed and I'm gonna do everything I can to help him. Thus far he's failed nothing and in no danger whatsoever. We're off for turkey day but the two of us are going to get a jump start on studying pre and post trips so come Saturday morning, we're dreaming about slack adjusters, pittman arms, and air compressors. Y'all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Today we had the three exams on logging. Exam 1 and 3 were 100%. Exam 2 was 95%.

Turned in the 4 open book exams early. First three were 100% and the fourth was 87%.

Tomorrow will be a half day due to the holiday and the two map exams in the morning.

No rest for the weary :)

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Oh and let me pay some additional homage to the High Road Training Program. It literally reduced the amount of textbook reading that I had to do by an order of magnitude. I found I could literally take many of the open book exams based on the learning from HRT. The amount of time savings cannot be underestimated. It has freed me up to do a lot more studying on the pre-trip, a 116 item behemoth checklist.

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Congrats and good luck to both of you. I am looking at Swift as a possibility for myself. I talked to my recruiter at Swift today and I having difficulty where I currently reside in Florida (to far south). Lucky for me my parents own a few condos in Tampa and will rent one to me so I can be better located so companies will hire me. My recruiter at Swift told me to move and change my address to the Tampa home and they will send me to their training site in Tenn. I am scheduled to take my permit on Jan 8th. I look forward to your experiences in school. Brian

First day was a lot of paperwork and a drug test. We have three chapters worth of homework to do. Woohoo! I'm writing this during my class break because there will be no rest for the weary tonight :-)

Sean S, hope it's going well for you. Day 1 we ready lost someone due to not bringing their driver's license to school. This one left me scratching my head. How do you come to a driving school without your basic license in hand and ready to go!?

Swift class start date of Nov. 24th is finally here

Well, after a long couple of months, I'm finally here in good old Richmond, VA for the Swift Academy. I decided to drive down instead of take the grey dawg simply because I want some freedom and the trip was only about 4 hours versus a 6 or 7 hour bus ride. My roommate is a pretty cool guy, laid back, and on his 3rd and final week. The hotel Swift put us up in is actually really nice: the Candlewood Suites. It's clean and comfortable.

There was no time like the present to tap my roommate for advice and he said be prepared to work extremely hard and have a good, positive attitude. I can thank truckingtruth.com for already preparing me on that front. I found out that I will most likely be training on the Volvos and they have 8 speed transmissions. Well, I'm nervous and excited as hell. More to come tomorrow night.

The time has finally come...

Hello all. I ran across this site a couple of months ago when I first decided to look into trucking for a living. Since then, I was accepted into Swifts training (through a 3rd party recruiter), only to have that rescinded for reasons I thought were odd, but...

Since then I have started taking the high road training and looking into alternatives. Most companies I looked into weren't taking new students from my state (I'm in Maine) so I had to find another way to make it happen.

For the last 6 weeks, I have been working with my local career center to get a grant to pay for private schooling. It took a ton of running around and getting local pre-hire letters before even starting training, but I just signed the paperwork and am on my way to complete my enrollment paperwork at the local private truck driving school.

If this is really what you want, do what you have to do to make it happen. I couldn't afford private school, but was able to put in the legwork to get it paid for and I can't wait to get started.

Thanks to Brett, Daniel B, Old School and all of the other great contributes here for giving so much of their time and knowledge to help people like me get prepared for a new phase in life. The information you have all provided has been priceless.

On to the next chapter...

Wishing you the best! dancing-dog.gif

Getting very frustrated...

Thanks for all the advice everyone, sounds like it might be just another struggle of starting in the industry, maybe I'll throw some extra blankets in the truck haha or an arctic sleeping bag

I used to do a lot of cold weather camping. Why not just pick up a 0 degree sleeping bag and you should be fine for all but the most extreme of conditions. At least your struggles are happening in cold weather as it's so much easier to warm up than it is to cool down. Keep your chin up, bud!

Leaving for Swift school this Sunday in Corsicana Texas.

Yes And I leave for Swift richmond on the 1st of decemeber

I hope to see you down there! :-)

Leaving for Swift school this Sunday in Corsicana Texas.

Hi all... I've been reading and leerking for over 2 yrs now. I feel like I know a lot of you just from your post. Quick low down, I've passed all 5 written test in Texas and I hold a CDL permit and I'm finally headed off to school this Sunday, needless to say I'm a little freaked out but excited at the same time. I don't want to ramble so here it is... any advice for winter time training or any training would be greatly appreciated. I've got my georgia boots and a duffle bag and I'm ready to do this. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it. You guys are all great...

Nice! Wishing you all the best. I'm leaving for Richmond this Sunday.

This week will just about kill me

I'm chomping at the bit to get started on training for Swift Transport in Richmond on Nov. 24th. I just know this week is going to drag by. I'm marking time and trying to keep busy by reviewing HRT.