Comments By Chicon

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete3.jpg avatar
  • Chicon
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Got this friend

Hey all, seriously, I've got a buddy, who is done with school, waiting to test. He is having a hard time getting a pre hire from anywhere, because of work history. He owned a business, and doesn't have any 1099'S to prove this. What are his options?

Advice, help, anything

Ok, so I attended driving school, I completed the 180hr course. I scored high on my AP, another guy and myself were the best drivers in the class, for 2 weeks I did pre-trip everyday with a instructor, they all said I wouldn't have a problem passing at DDS. Well I failed twice, which, I shouldn't have. I was failed once for not mentioning something I was told to wait and they would let me know if I needed to call it. Next time I was told that I didn't press the brake during my applied pressure loss test. Now the school won't answer and to set up another test date, I have waited the seven days. I know there are companies that will pay for cdl training, but are there any out there that have like a one week course or something to help you get your cdl?

This is something I have always wanted to do and it's off to the worst start. I'm now out, money for school, I lost $262 on a plane ticket, I'm down to $80, with no income coming in, I'm a week behind were I should be. I should've started orientation this past Monday. I'm just agravated with this at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any input

DDS in Georgia

Chicon, my advise is to be very verbal during that whole procedure. What I mean is tell the tester what you are doing. Like this: "I am now putting some foot pressure on the brake pedal as I watch the air gauges to see if there is any air loss while I hold pressure on the line." Verbalize everything, and I think that will help you remember each step along the way, and keep the tester fully informed of what you are doing.

Don't sweat the fact that you failed. Get back out there and do it again. Odds are that you will have a different person next time and the one you had this time may have been having a bad day or something. Just keep your cool and get back out there and show 'em how it's done!

Well, that's exactly what I did the second time, that's why it bothers me so much that he failed me. I just don't get why he would have thought that I wasn't applying the brake either time I did the test with him. I said, I'm going to shut the truck off, I'm going to release the parking and trailer brakes, I'm then going to apply the service brake and I shouldn't loose no more than 4 psi in one minute in a combination vehicle, of course I did what I said, but he didn't think so. Well thanks for the vote of confidence old school, if I don't pass it this time, then I will definitely be convinced something else is going on.

DDS in Georgia

So, I'm done with school, I tested on Tuesday, failed pre-trip, the examiner said I didn't mention the coupling system. Before the test started, she said do the drivers door and the back of the tractor, I asked just the back of the tractor, not the coupling system, she said she would let me know. So you can imagine my frustration when she failed me for not talking about something she didn't tell me to. So I get another shot on Friday, the examiner gave me the front of the truck and the engine compartment, everything went great, next up in cab, got to my air loss test, and half way through, I realized I hadn't turned the key on, so I stopped, told him I didn't have the key on, he said no problem, went through everything and when I got finished he asked did I want to do it again, sure I said, he's giving me a second chance because of the key, got finished, he said I did an excellent job outside and inside, but during both times of doing the air loss test, I didn't have the service break applied. Seriously, I saw the needle move both times when I applied the break, do you honestly think that I'm going to tell you what I'm doing, why I'm doing, and what I'm looking for and then not press the brake pedal. His response was the same, you didn't press the brake pedal. So now, I have to wait 7 days to retake the test. Oh another thing, I've arrived 20mins before my scheduled test time and both times the examiner didn't come out until 15-20 mins after my scheduled time, so that buts my 2HR window for the test down. Has anyone else had problems like these?

New cdl permit hoder

Started the day off at school doing some review test before they let us go at noon to go take our test. We took the air brake test first...I scored 50 of 50, next we did the combination test, 49 of 50 on it, next we did general knowledge, I scored 92 of 93. Needless to say, I'm feeling good, ready to take the real thing. They let us out at noon, and straight to the dds I go. Get there, first up general knowledge, made a 94, the questions I missed, I never have saw before, not at school and not on the high road training program. ...crazy right? It gets better, now I'm on combination, I'm on question 15 of 25 and at this point, not only am I getting extremely posse at this test, I'm 10 questions away from finishing and can only miss one more and still pass, I'm thinking how is this, 2 hours ago I answered 49 of 50 of these questions right, I carried on, with that bright red 4 wrong staring me down, question 25.....done, passed with an 84. Once again, same thing , I had never seen anything on the questions I missed. Now I'm on air brakes, 10 mins done and a 100, so I now have officially became the holder of a class A cdl permit holder, now to get the real thing. Thanks trucking truth!

Tmc drivers

Hey guys, want to hear from some tmc drivers. Just a couple of questions. Do the trucks come with tvs and refrigerators ? If not do they allow you to install them. Are you pretty much driving one side of the country, or does that change week to week? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Official

Have fun!

I'm excited

Official

Congrats, enjoy this week after that you'll stay very busy

I'm more than ready, I wanted to start last year, but the timing wasn't right. I'm excited. Thanks to everyone that made this site possible.

Official

It's been a long time coming, but I can officially say I enrolled in school this morning and will start class on Monday.

Ticket

I'm a police officer in PA. Here, when someone is issued a citation it goes to the local magestrate. You don't get arraigned on a summary offense, such as a traffic citation. Arraignments are for misdemeanors and above. You will plead guilty or not guilty though. In my experience its common for deals to be made between you and the officer before the hearing. If it were me I would plead not guilty, show up to court and conference with the officer before the hearing. Explain your situation to him and ask that he change the citation to a non moving violation or just ask him to retract it. More times than not he will change it to something else. I usually will change it to "obedience to traffic control device". It's a catch all that has no points and won't be reported to insurance. It also won't look as bad as a speeding ticket. If you want any help for fighting let me know. Does it show on the citation how he timed your speed?

-Rob

It says laser. I don't know if you read all the post between myself and others, but it says in Georgia, that it doesn't show on my mvr and is not reported to insurance. I'm confused, it just sounds like a money thing to me. I would and do appreciate in advice you have given and anymore you may have. I'm going to call my cousin who is a officer in the same county and see if he knows the officer and can talk to him.

Ticket

I purchased a ticket to the California Highway Patrolman's Ball, about two years ago. He never said anything about it NOT going on my record.

Dave

Well, you just taught me something....I didn't know highway patrolmen, had balls...lol. thanks for your advice.

Ticket

I would still fight it. The cop might not even show up. If you fight it, the court date will be months in the future, hopefully by then you will have secured a job. A ticket will only go on your record once you are convicted. If you keep fighting it, the conviction get's put off into the future, and as you said, even then if it is 14 mph or under, according to GA law, it will not show on your record. Were there other cars on the road when you got pulled over? Could it be that it was someone else's car that the cop radared? Good luck with this and your school. Even if this is the only ticket that shows on your record, you are still 'hireable'

Unfortunately,no there weren't any other cars, it'S not a busy road on the weekends at all, was shocked to see him there really. I agree I'm very straight forward and honest with people, but I just didn't know if this was a reason. I'm gonna call my recruiter Monday and let them know and go from there. I don't want to go to court because I will be in school. Thanks for your advice.

Ticket

I"d like to see that GA law you're talking about. Do you want to post it?

The ticket should have a court date on it. What court date does it have?

Your first appearance for your Georgia speeding ticket is just an arraignment and the officer may or may not be there. The judge will allow you to enter a plea and pay your fine so take cash since they will not accept a check. Most courts will offer to reduce your speed by 3 to 5 mph in return for a guilty plea. This is important since a 14mph or under speeeding ticket will not be posted to your record and not increase your insurance premiums.

Wow- good for you! This is new to me, so the next thing I would do is start asking questions of a sharp lawyer. What is the penalty for a second ticket?

Trucking companies do not want to see speeding tickets on your motor vehicle record, so my advice has not changed.

Yeah,I know what your saying, that's the first speeding ticket I've had since I was 17... I'm 37 now, I just didn't know if I should even say anything with the law being that way.

Ticket

I"d like to see that GA law you're talking about. Do you want to post it?

The ticket should have a court date on it. What court date does it have?

Ticket

So, I'm set to start school on the 11th of January, I just received a speeding ticket in my personal car for 49 in a 35 (I honestly thought the speed limit was 45, I drive that speed every time I go down that road). The officer informed me that it would not go on my record,and would not increase my insurance. Have I ruined my career before it even started? I don't have anything on my record. Thanks IN advance for comments and suggestions.

What you said about the officer does not make sense- Did he give you at ticket or not? Maybe a warning? Maybe a verbal correction?

BUT if he handed you a ticket:

Suggestions? Get a lawyer, have him fix it to a non-moving violation such as a parking ticket- ( or something else- the lawyer will know- if he doesn't get a different lawyer). Not cheap- I have paid maybe $200-$300 to a lawyer- in the past. Now I'm more careful.

Because your record in the past is clean, the lawyer should have no problem arguing it to a smaller violation. Better to start your career out clean.

Companies will ask if you got any tickets in the past three years. Your answer- Yes.

I clearly stated that I just received a ticket. You can look up speeding laws in Georgia and it says what the officer told me.

Ticket

Posted:  4 years ago

Help

Chicon, you just have to keep on working on the questions that it gives you. The system is designed to give you review questions on the portions where you are not performing well. Once you get those ones you are missing correct a few times then the halt will be lifted. Read the questions slowly and make sure you are understanding what it is asking for. Sometimes they are worded trickily because that is the way it is at the state exams. The words "not" or "except" should be red flags that you need to read it carefully. Do not guess at the answers, that will surely get you halted. The program shows you where to look back and find the answer, always click on that link and review the material until you see the answer, and then you can get it right. That's not cheating, it is an excellent way to learn by re-enforcing the correct information into your mind - it works extremely well when trying to contain a lot of new information.

Thanks old school, I figured it out right before you replied to me. This is Great stuff and it does make learning easier.

Posted:  4 years ago

Help

My progress has been halted on the high road program for like a week, I got confused and clicked on the test instead of going to the next page. How do I get un halted.

Posted:  4 years ago

TMC...Melton....Maverick....Roehl

Anchorman....are you still with McElroy? I was trying to find a review on here about them and came across a post saying that was where you were going.

I narrowed my decision to Crete or McElroy. In the end, I went with Crete Carrier.

I actually looked at Crete, but the school I'm going to have to attend, isn't on their list of approved schools. I assume they are treating you right, over there.

Posted:  4 years ago

TMC...Melton....Maverick....Roehl

All of those companies you listed are all great companies this is the time you need to focus on what it is you are looking for in a company such as hometime training etc. It's not all about what some companies pay because if you work hard enough and prove time and again you are reliable the money will be there at any of those companies. For example when I chose to join this industry I chose roehl flatbed not because of pay but they had a terminal 4 miles from my home they had great home time and they offered company sponsored training. I enjoyed my time at roehl but my home life changed so I needed a local job and at the time roehl had no local positions open. However the only negative things I have to say about them is I wish there cargo securement training was just a little longer and more in depth and I wish there time spent driving with a trainer was longer other then that if my home life were to change again I would go back there no problem.

Thanks, this is the kind of input I'm looking for. To be honest, home time isn't that big of an issue for me, I mean two weekends a month would be ideal, more would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm more worried about proper training being a safe driver, and pay, but I'm not willing to sacrifice any of the three. I currently have a county job at the moment and while the benefits are awesome, it's not quite making ends meet. Sure , I'll be set for a good retirement, but not like I think I could be as a truck driver.