Profile For December Hopeful

December Hopeful's Info

Dayton, OH

Company Driver In Training

4 years, 10 months ago

December Hopeful's Bio

December Hopeful because I am hoping December will see me with my CDL !!

Trucker pay has fallen when adjusted for inflation

I don't want to get completely on my soap box here, but you left out one big word that explains why wages across all industries are stagnating while corporate profits, corporate liquid assets (cash), and corporate executive salaries are all at record highs: greed.

Ah, greed. One of the seven deadly sins. Did anyone on the boards ever doubt huge corporations are driven by it. Pardon the pun. It just worked out that way. But I'm still making more here soon (just started this week) than I've ever made in my life in any pink-collar jobs. But I do seriously consider the work and the money. I think it's so very sad that the govt. has basically sucked the life out of the general population. People are just being used up to support the establishment and the politicians. (One and the same?) Maybe. Just remember, they can't take it with them, and everyone will one day face their Maker.

Are you really sure that this is what you want?

Lol you laugh boots but my last trainee dropped me off at the nail salon TWICE! Id be more than happy to train any lady trucker that truly wants to learn!

I've had fake nails only briefly 3 different times in my life and considering them again, if only for something fun and lady-like to do, but heard about gel only nails from a lady trucker who is now in an office at my truck school. Not sure what I'll do, but it was just fun reading this comment about getting dropped off at the nail salon...twice !! Ha-ha !!

What's your favorite sign?

Speaking of signs, is there anybody here who doesn't like or want a collection of these signs? ---> $$$$$$$$$$$$ dancing-dog.gif

Hoping to collect enough of that very sign to pay off both my CDL school loan and my college debt !! And much more...

What's your favorite sign?

"PORT OF ENTRY". First time I saw this I pulled off the road to find my passport 😊. Merry Christmas all.

That's hilarious !!

Getting ready for CDL training. Scared my relationship is going to suffer

I don't know about that man of yours. But if trucking is what you need to do, you have to be fully into the responsibilities it entails. You say you have 4 boys. What kind of trucking are you undertaking with them all living at home and you needing to be as you say, both mother and father? Which is impossible by the way. You're the mom. The single mom cannot also be a dad. Hopefully, they do see their dad. Back twenty years ago, my truck-driver brother yelled at me that I had to be both mother and father. I'm sorry, but the father jumped ship and left me to be a single mother. Now as far as earning a living, we did have to do that, right, single ladies? My daughter is grown now and she's my advocate in all this new adventure. I just learned the account I wanted is not all it was made out to be. I'll have to find another account hopefully that will allow me to go home every weekend or so. I want to be fairly close to my home state and stay east of the Mississippi for family responsibilities. (Aging mother, and about to get a place with adult daughter who needs mom again). My training, however, will take me to any number of the 48 contiguous. I'm excited and looking to see what I can see for these upcoming weeks of company training.

Just be sure to do your homework on getting the company and the account that will work for you and your family. Best of luck to you. Let us know what you decide.

The good, the bad, and the ugly about women in trucking

Anyone heard anything more from original poster, Regina S. as to her decision to go for it or leave it alone? It's the day after Christmas 2014, and I'm in hotel in Columbus, Ohio, waiting for my new trainer's Freightliner to get fixed at the dealership with an issue under warranty. We just left the terminal in Springfrield to come here after other repairs were being done there. What a whirlwind was orientation and immediately being assigned a brand new trainer! I'm her first trainee! Again, I'm all about the adventure! Ha-ha!

My training at Millis Transfer in Alvarado, Tx

Thanks for the quick reply! I hope you are enjoying your time with your trainer.

No problem. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I passed my CDL last Friday but, I don't go out with my trainer until after xmas. I passed with a 90 YAY!! lol

Great Score !! Hooray for you, Photogirl !!

Driving Footwear

Thanks for all the advice!! I've got decent footwear for when I jump out of the truck, so I'm just more wondering about footwear that'll keep my feet warm during the cold winters and are comfortable to wear driving. I like the thought of slippers for driving in and plan on buying some for in the truck so I'm just wondering what all my fellow lady drivers are wearing if they drive in slippers.

I'm a little confused. Slippers are unsafe for driving, so doubtful that you will be advised on brands to wear for that purpose. Your truck's heater should help your feet and legs stay plenty warm. Be safe. Drive only in approved footwear. You have double-clutching and all that shifting to do. Common sense, you know?

December 19th = Date I passed my CDL road test and have my certificate from truck school.

Thanks again, everyone. And thanks, Jolie !! We exchanged phone numbers and our hometowns are in Ohio, have spoken on phone several times, but have yet to meet in person.

I have a great new trainer, Terry. She and I are at hotel waiting on Freightliner dealer to fix a computer issue under warranty on the truck. Back in of all places, Columbus, Ohio. LOL !! Not sure how to correctly describe this, but I have to get used to whole new shift locations for the numbers as it's a 10 speed rather than 8 speed. Terry trained on one in her truck school, but I trained on the 8. I've already learned that it's often a lot of hurry up and wait when it comes to the truck. What an adventure this is gonna be.

Schooling

I consider myself among a select few, I guess when I read stuff like this. By the grace of God, go I. I could have been drug or alcohol addicted, namely nicotine or beer/wine, but I have such a low tolerance and experience watching numerous family members flounder in that portion of their lives, that I never wanted those substances in excess. As for fighting or theft, that too just was not me. No matter the felony, I would have to say, if you did your time, followed up promptly with all probationary processes, etc. and this one company out of North Carolina is offering you an option to start training with them, why not raise the funds in some legal manner yourself and go on out there? You have an opportunity. I say, cease it while they say they will take you and your past. Build toward your future. You know?

My husband is just getting started in Trucking and I want to go OTR with him.

I just wanted to say that I find that reply very uplifting. I also like the original posted questions. I love seeing men and women truly in love with their spouses. It kinda gives me hope for my own future in that personal realm. I walk with Jesus Christ, and would like to walk beside a man who will love and protect me like I have never known truly before. Thanks for that glimmer. Peace and Joy to you all in the Christmas season.

I would like to get a CDL

I would like to get a CDL. I dont have experience but i am study too hard. I am a kindergarten teacher and i have been working for 20 years. Now, I want to be a driver. I would like to know how is the real world. I know to world trough books and how to form the future men. I hope to get entering the new year 2015.

Also, just to clarify, Oscar, you are inquiring in the Ladies Category, rather than in other open sections for men and women. You might get a wider range of answers to your inquiry if you post this in one of the other main categories. Just a suggestion.

I would like to get a CDL

I tried to preview it for grammar. I hit the wrong key. The ending part of that last sentence should read, "...which has, in fact, been long proven to be a terribly flawed concept."

(Sorry about that!)

I would like to get a CDL

Okay, I will bite. If you are an actual teacher in Texas, USA, you better be for the Spanish speaking, because that other comment is right on the money. I appreciate all languages, but your English in written form, at least, is clearly not up to the level you would need to teach kindergarten or higher grade levels in the USA. I am not being mean. It's truth, which is part of the name here. Trucking Truth is going to help you get an idea of what to expect in this particular career field. All the CDL study helps and terrific articles are yours for the taking, absolutely free to you and all of us. I hope you do well in whatever path you choose. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

P.S. Again, I appreciate many human languages and am not trying to insult anyone. We have to know our teachers are really able to teach our children and our children's children. I'm admittedly, "old school", and prefer the basics for the young ones. Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Geography and History. Sciences without the politics of evolution which has in fact, been long been proven to be a terribly flawed concept.

It's Official - Another Lady Driver!

Yeah for you! Happy to hear it! Let's hear more as time goes by with your new job. Be safe and have a very Merry Christmas, Deb R. !!

Thanks so much for all congrats posts!! I am so jazzed and I finalized my process with hair and makeup of course done by me, (LOL !!) and went to the BMV locally in Dayton area to get the license. It didn't turn out half bad, and I even weighed myself this morning and am down to 159 lbs at 5'5", and now I am an official size 12 women's pant again !! I am hoping to work out to build muscle and strength and increase stamina. I don't really drink sodas much at all. I know working in truck is going to be tough to not snack so much. Hopefully will eat veggie snacks a lot after getting a few pay checks. This is exciting and scary. I was driving automobile on I-70 round trip tonight. Saw one Werner truck, and lots of other companies, too. When I passed the Werner truck, I said, hey, that's gonna be my truck one day soon. You know what I mean, ladies. We are just wanting to support ourselves and families. We don't expect to run the world or get rich. We pray we will be careful and timely. We just want to feel a little more freedom than being chained to a desk and a telephone. That's my case. Love to hear yours. Why did you enter this field?

Just excited to finally get the road test passed in Columbus, Ohio through Roadmaster. Starting on Monday in orientation at Werner in Springfield, Ohio. Ladies, it can be done! Merry Christmas everyone!

Medications your allowed to take?

Hello everyone, I'm new here but I wanted to post some facts, since this is a nationwide problem that I've been experiencing.

If you are diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed a medication like ADDERRALL as I am, and the company finds out about it and refuses to hire you, IT IS A FEDERAL VIOLATION OF ADAA LAW AND ACCOMMODATION.

I am in the middle of several suits against trucking companies for doing clear discrimination against me. One of the last ones, I even had a man from the EEOC in Washington, D.C. on the speaker phone, and he was yelling at the individual in the office, who refused to comply with the laws.

Now, I have a perfect MVR, and also DOT Physical, and each and every single MRO has passed me because my Rx is LEGALLY PRESCRIBED and this last one called me the other day to tell me to SUE THE HELL OUT OF THEM for violating not only the laws, but also my rights. He freaked out because I was cut loose BEFORE HE EVEN HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO CALL ME REGARDING MY URINE TEST SHOWING POSITIVE!!! Once I told him my Rx, offered to send photos of the Rx and my physicians letter, all is LEGAL....JUST NOT THE TRUCKING COMPANY....

You see, this yahoo with the company that has nothing to do with hiring, and he went through my private medical information (which I've also been told was illegally acquired - Demanded prior to hiring, under threat of not providing it would ban me) and once he saw my disclosure on my long form approx. 10 months earlier for another company, he deemed me "Disqualified". He stated, "Anyone that comes to us with ADD or ADHD and is on Adderral, they are immediately DISQUALIFIED!"

Well, as the EEOC gentleman explained; I have an excellent case and to immediately file against them, since I will get a free attorney, and they'll not only sue on my behalf for my rights being violated, but they will also be forced to comply with the Federal Laws. He stated over the speaker; "This isn't going to cost hundreds or thousands, but hundreds of thousands of dollars, and while you may want to work for these people now, the payoff will be huge later, and no matter what YOU do...these jerks are NEVER going to hire you because they have it out for you!"

I went back to the hotel, filled out the form, and waited for the call. The next morning, this same A-Hole whom had gone through my private medical information stated once again, that even though he is reading the actual Federal Law, WHERE IT IS WRITTEN "EXEMPT IS BY PRESCRIPTION", he states that THEY CAN MAKE THEIR OWN COMPANIES RULES STRICTER! At that moment, I clicked SUBMIT! You see...THEY CAN'T!!!

FEDERAL LAWS SUPERSEDE EVERYTHING!!!

I've had it with these jerks. I am a FANTASTIC driver, have been around it my entire life, score perfect on all tests, can work on my own rig, drive anything you put in front of me, livestock, flat, reefer, box, straight, farming, construction....all of it. I've had no issues ever.... but yes, there are many whom are refusing to comply....so take my advice and tape record your meetings, phone calls (as I do), keep records AND FILE WITH THE EEOC! It's blatant discrimination! They complain of -100% rate...it's their fault!

Oh and for these idiots to say it's okay for us to drive with a diagnosis of ADHD and NOT be on our meds...that's INSANE!!! IF we get into an accident, it's the same as a DUI!!! Oh but they says it's okay for us to be driving an 80,000 bullet in rush hour traffic, not being able to focus and pay attention??

Soon enough, the media will be knocking on some doors.....and I have a very long, and continually growing list of offenders of the Federal Laws....They're going to look pretty silly on National TV.

Good Luck all, and don't let them screw you over! You worked hard to get where you are, demand compliance oh AND IF they refuse, sue them for the cost of your CDL Education, travel and everything else....including loss of wages and damages.

Really admire your tenacity. Thank you for all your documentation of this ordeal. We all have a lot to offer these companies who claim they are desperate for good drivers. I say if you care about yourself, your fellow man on and off the road, your're going to be a blessing to the industry and not a curse. The federal govt has a lot of nerve when it comes to putting hard-working people out of business by their never-ending laundry list of often impossible rules and regs and allowing everybody and their illegal brothers over the border to drive cars and trucks in our nation. Pain management is big American business, and I know there are a lot better things out there for treating a whole lot of it. Okay, off my soap box. Thanks again.

ANY INPUT PLEASE?

Johnny G., great pic of you and your beloved wife. Truly hope you all get questions answered and do what is required to make a go of husband-wife team driving if that is what you both want and need.

Great questions. But no one replied to the 15-yr old felony. If it has you worried, I would think that would be the first matter of business. Making sure it cannot get in the way of your present life choices and your future career in the business. By the grace of God go I. I am grateful never to have been arrested or imprisoned. Also grateful to have clean driving record and no major auto accidents in all my years of driving.

Early wish for a very Merry Christmas to you and your wife. You two inspire me!

My trucking adventure!

Dexter,

What an awesome adventure that you are starting for yourself. I can't wait to read about your fun adventures as you go through the process!!

You are young. And what an adventure to leave your home state for the first time on a big rig, to boot! I wish you all the best life and love and God has in store for you. Be smart, be safe, and walk like you know where you're going! Please include some cool trucking photos when you get the means to take and post them. I love these CDL diaries.