Comments By December Hopeful

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/125.jpg avatar

Fear Not Trainees

Week two and I fully understand the frustration many people feel. I also understand the complaints about the junky trucks some schools use. But look at the bright side; if you can master backing, shifting, blind side, sight side, straight line, offset, parallel and anything else the throw at you, in these trucks, you'll really like the tight steering and plush accommodations in your own big rig. For my experience, the worst trucks are only used on the range (backing/parking only).

Thanks again Brett. Especially for making this site free. :)smile.gif

Oh happy day! I need two more practice days for road portion of CDL testing at school in Ohio, and hope to get it done on Friday with my CDL in my hot little hand!

Also agree with you about the helpfulness of a free trucking site for kicking around questions, answers and ideas about the business. Thanks to Brett for keeping it real. Peace and Safe Travels, All.

Driving Footwear

Do not wear slippers. Unsafe. Work boots is the way to go.

Your work boots -- what brand, if I may ask? I tried a Walmart version of weatherproofed steel-toe and it hurt my feet. I took them back after one day, and they were okay with it. I know I'm gonna need to spend at least $100 instead of $40.

Also, I do have several cowgirl boots saved on my wish list with Amazon dot com. Working boots, not dancing or fancy. And I also have several regular work boots for women saved on my wish list.

Thank you for this website and God bless!!

I also found this website the first week of training at truck school in Columbus, Ohio. My nerves are still on edge as the training is taking me longer than I initially anticipated. I've had to reschedule testing twice and the whole thing is draining my funds. I pray the Lord allows me to get it right this upcoming week, because I really need to earn a living and provide for my family. The website has been very educational and it's nice getting to "talk to" others on the boards or just read their discussions back and forth. I like the CDL Diaries. Thanks for a place to gather while we take this step into a new career.

Feeling useless at 52.

Over age 50 here, as well. Our age bracket has wisdom on our side for the most part. I think a lot of employers are "Boomers" and they see value in themselves and others with experience in other customer service oriented careers as being a huge plus to them in many ways. I've had no discouraging words from any staff or trainers at the truck school I am attending in Columbus, Ohio. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide. If you do go for it, please, let us know. We all need friendly peers and we like the fellowship here on Trucking Truth.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here on the website. This has been a very helpful site for me, and also feels like a support system for a lady late in life trying trucking again after not completing testing in 2007. I'm waiting for first week in December to return to truck school and practice skills for road test some more hours and hope to have that CDL in my hot little hand at end of the week. Thank you for all the great articles, the encouragement to do this no matter what fears may come and go. God bless everybody on the road, be safe and have fun in life!

Posted:  8 years ago

Well I go tomorrow and try again for my CDL A skills test at the DMV......

I so need to pass this skills test.......I need to get a job!

Hey Spirit...Hope you have passed backing skills or soon will. Don't know your time-frame. Let us hear back from you, okay? My second attempt at Backing Nov 14th. Passed Backing Skills Test but FAILED ROAD. (Serious Sad Face!) One problem on the road after another and it all just made me more nervous and there was something wrong with the truck. It would not properly build speed! Later I compared notes with another tester. Some of the same problems with truck and we determined we had same truck for the tests. Paying a small fortune to pass, not to fail. I have to borrow money now or can't go back next week. Snow and colder temps are on the way and my two cats need to be inside YESTERDAY! If I can't get the money, I have to wait till December. Not a pleasant plan. Lord willing, something will come through by Tuesday. Watching cable reruns of LAW AND ORDER. Good distraction. That and computer SCRABBLE. Everybody be safe. God's best blessings upon you and yours for Thanksgiving, everyone.

Trucktographer's dad

Not a guy, not former military, no farm-equipment/trailer or boat history here with me. So all the jargon goes RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. But love your diary entries and look forward to seeing if you guys last six months or a year together over the road. Somebody yesterday at truck school asked me if my daughter would train to team with me. WE WOULD KILL EACH OTHER! was my immediate response. LOL!

Seriously, though. I do wish you both well in this endeavor. Just wondering how your wives and families are going to be with you two guys gone so much?

Roadmaster CDL school located in W. Memphis,Ar 2014

First off, this is a very helpful sight! When my partner decided to get her CDL's I started researching and found you. you've been a HUGE help and I thank you! We have used your High Road study guides and tests a lot. My partner is attending Roadmaster in W. Memphis,Ar now. We talk each day. At the end of week 1 she has her permit and is doing well. She has bragged daily about the great instructors and says its a great school! They go above and beyond to help all they can. She was recruited by Jeremiah Espinoza out of the Orlando location. He is a different story. That man lied several times while trying to get her to go to Roadmaster. He lied about upfront cost, starting dates and more. Since my partner was working, I myself spoke with him several times. We have had a very rough summer money wise and were honest with him about needing to know about every penny she would need. He said he had the upfront cost down to $80. The second day she was there, she was told $160. She had a total of $155 to her name. $80 for school and the rest for food. He told her to keep $30 and give the rest to the school. Have $30 for food for 3 week!?!?!? There is at least one other student there who has made the same complaint. So far, this is a great school. Great instructors and people. Just beware of the recruiters!!! I sure wish I would have recorded those calls! He even said he'd send her a $20 Walmart card to help her with food. This is not about that but the lies!!

Just finished Roadmaster in West Memphis myself, Oct. 14. They are a great school. It is really fast paced. I took a 50 hr. refresher course. I can tell you they put a lot of information in 3 weeks! They instructors are the best! They take you out on the road to learn shifting, they stop the truck and help you every step of the way if you are having problems. I was in the truck with some people who could not shift gears at all, then within 30 minutes they were shifting like pros!! No lie!! If you are serious and don't want to play around, go there. The pretrip for Arkansas made me feel like I could almost be a mechanic. They have 118 point inspection! The pretrip takes 45 minutes to complete. I can't praise them enough! I learned more in 50 hours than I learned in my first 8 week truck driving school. Tell your friend to listen and learn all she can while she is there. The only problem I saw was that they need more instructors because they have so many students. Good luck to you!

Roadmaster recruiter, Jason, out of Tampa, Florida, has done nothing but help me get into the school in Columbus, Ohio. He was upfront about everything, never lied or exaggerated about a single thing to my knowledge. Always returned calls and emails promptly, even during the training. I would not be at the school were it not for his prompts and encouragement to get all my necessary paperwork together quickly so I could make it in before the snows started to hit here. We did get flurries this week, though!

Roadmaster does need to hire more road instructors, no lie. They need to manage the students' training hours better, and teaching backing skills with more fluid motion so you don't get so tired out mentally and physically. You start and stop and start and stop and calculate and examine so much with the current method, then they tell you that YOU are OVER-THINKING it and just need to KNOW HOW the truck and trailer work together!

I'm sorry, but that's just not helping keep students from exhaustion and frustration in these backing maneuvers! The other thing that has happened to me and some fellow students in my class and the class prior to my first week, is that we are not getting enough driving time during extra few days of additional training to re-test. I got zero hours last week on driving time and FAILED THE ROAD TEST THIS WEEK. I knew Thursday that my ROAD TEST WOULD END THAT WAY, because I got maybe 45 minutes at the end of the day on Thursday. BY THEN, ALL SKILLS WERE EXTREMELY POOR on the road. Shifting, trailer tracking, etc. And, I was extremely nervous both on Thursday and on Friday, TEST DAY.

All that being said, I would recommend the school because they do have really good instructors who CARE ABOUT STUDENTS. They took time and had patience with everyone, no matter how good, bad or indifferent the students may have been in skill and attitude. But if YOU HAVE A HARD HEADED ATTITUDE about THEM TEACHING YOU, you aren't going to LEARN, AS IS YOUR CHOICE! We've got men who just can't handle authority of other men if they do one thing to OFFEND THEM. Hey, if you get OFFENDED NOW, you sure as shining WON'T BE ABLE TO HOLD A JOB in ANY COMPANY LATER!

Posted:  8 years ago

Failed my test Wednesday and passed today!

Way to go Andrea! I passed all of mine last Wednesday after being encouraged to toss in my chips and quit on 2 occasions. I went to a company school and you get 1 chance to pass the test if you are from out of state. Silly me I was determined to test regardless of the outcome as the world would not come to an end if I failed, but I would never be able to live with myself if I had to continually as myself "what if?". I passed which surprised the heck out of the instructors, but not me, my classmates, or my friends and family. I do believe in this industry a woman has to be twice as good to be seen as equal to a man. I am not saying that because I passed I am a rock star driver, far from it. There are still issues with downshifting from 10th to the low side of the transmission when coming to a stop. With a little more training and time it will get better, I'm sure. Have you decided who you are going to drive for?

Congrats to all of you ladies too and to Trish who will be joining us shortly good luck. I decided to work for USExpress and start my orientation next week and then will be training on the route I will be handling once I go solo. I'm so excited!

US Express came out to our CDL school and gave their pitch. They have a fine fleet, and good reputation. Some of the guys in my class are going with them. Look forward to your documenting some of your time with the trainer, Andrea B. I've read some of the "diary" entries on the boards, and they are really interesting. One guy's dad is planning to join him later after he gets his own CDL, and go as a team. Wow. Now that is going to be fun to read about in a few months!

The good, the bad, and the ugly about women in trucking

Thanks for the prayers, Jolie. I'd also like to pray for Regina S. who needs to make a very important decision to either give it a go for truck training or move onto another endeavor.

My thought is, you will always wonder if you never try it. Yes, you want to gather as much info as you can before you make that leap. The instructors at Roadmaster are clear in their attitude: If you can be taught, they will teach you. If you know it all and won't listen to them, you're not going very far. I'm here to say, from what I've seen, that's true. We have men from other countries in our school as students. Quite honestly, some of them are really not getting it very quickly because they get offended and can't handle the authority of other men. Not true for all, but some.

Looking forward to other comments on this thread. Everybody be safe. God's Hand of Blessings on you all. Thanksgiving is soon upon us.

Veterans Day

A day late, but same here. Grew up in military town. Wright-Patterson AFB. Our men & women and their families deserve our love and respect for all their sacrifice.

Yo. Colorado Roads Are NO GOOD Tonight

Wow! I lived in Denver for nine years. We would see heavy snow in the morning and by noon the melt off was so drastic, you could wear your street or office clothes with only a sweater! Living in Ohio, with no intention on driving that far west after getting with a company, but who knows what routes the month with a training will involve? Love this site for all the support and thanks for the warning, Mountain Girl! Everybody be safe.

RoadMaster Rookie @ Covenant

Robo, I have thoroughly enjoyed your detailed diary and all the honesty & humor contained within! I am also training for my CDL at Roadmaster in your neighboring state, Ohio. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences so far, and look forward to additional entries.

Posted:  8 years ago

Tips on making the truck feel cozy?

First thing I think I would do would be get memory foam mattresses for the beds, bring in plenty of fresh linens and your favorite blankets and comforters. If you can purchase properly-sized area rug for right in front of the bed, those things all combined would immediately cozy it up! Along with that you know you're going to need your flat-screen, your mini-fridge and ample stock of fast-fix foods along with fresh fruits for healthy snacking. Be sure to get a digital pic or two after you cozy it all up for the two of you, and share them here with us!

The good, the bad, and the ugly about women in trucking

You said the question was for everyone. I'm a student at a CDL school. So I can only give you what I know so far and hopefully when the seasoned trucker ladies get time they will give you far more experienced feedback.

You asked if the testing was very hard. My answer is, "Yes". I have found it to be so for me. But I did not grow up on a farm driving at age 14 on private land vehicles that have a trailer attached and learning under the wings of a dad or older brothers. There are guys at my school who have driven for the military, and some have been raised with a monkey wrench in their hands, and they are very comfortable around all the equipment. But, there are guys in there who can't double-clutch as well as me, who have stalled the rig on railroad tracks, and didn't know what a "YIELD" sign meant. One guy knew the Pre-Trip Inspection word-for-word and you know he passed that but he's back on Friday because he didn't pass the road test. I tested first and went home right after, so I don't know if he passed road on Friday or not. Hopefully he did, but he's determined, so I know he would train again this week and try again on Friday. (State law requires you wait seven days before testing again.)

I also know that the life of truckers, male or female, is very challenging. I'm like you in that I don't need office politics and I can't stand catty women who form cliques and won't welcome me for months on end because they have some snooty chip on their shoulder. Pink collar jobs have been for me, a complete dead end. All that being said, I am about to go into my 5th week at school because the 3rd week I was not ready to take the test, so I went home and rescheduled for week 4, Friday. I just passed Pre-Trip Inspection part of CDL testing on Friday, and I'm going back for more backing practice because Lane Change kicked my butt good at 7:30 in the morning. I had spent all day before test in constant rain and wind on the concrete training pad and getting in and out of trucks for my turns on all three backing maneuvers. My body felt like lead jello next morning.

Every morning I wake up thinking about the backing maneuvers. I just am very pressured to get this license. I'm running out of cash. I want to get it all right this time. I don't want to come back a 3rd time to test. I just want that CDL and to move onto the company training. Will it all be for me in the end? I don't know. But I know I have worked very hard in my life and want to try. I want to work hard on this and see where it goes for me. I think I have the mental and emotional stamina, but of course, hope to develop the physical strength and endurance as I go on the road. Working hard in the yard all day at my little rental house for six years cost me over $30,000. I could have paid for that house and the land it sits on for that price. Now I have no home and my stuff is in storage. Staying with friends and family is getting old. I want that CDL and to see what the road has to offer. I'm scared and excited and challenged. Hey, isn't that life?

Soon, you will get some more replies from nice people here on the boards. Let's see what they say about testing, training and driving on the road.

Posted:  8 years ago

Transgender Women In Trucking (Please don't laugh...not a joke)

I should never have expressed my observations about any of it. However, I would not go in the direction of comparing professional driving to finding medical cures or becoming an astronaut.

Why not? All are worthy, useful, honest careers. If you'd prefer a different comparison, there are plenty of women in construction, plumbing, automotive technology, and many other "blue collar" professions. I'm not trying to argue; it's clear you don't want to. But people who are transgender shouldn't be made to feel like they don't belong, especially on a website billed as "the most friendly and helpful trucker's forum anywhere".

Again, I should never have been expressed my thoughts on this subject. I have had enough. Thank you for letting me alone over it now. I am truly sorry for participating in this discussion. Really very sorry.

Well, it's official!!!

I start Roehl's CDL school on October 13th! I will get started a week before my 53rd birthday and will get to spend it with them!!! dancing-dog.gif I am excited and extremely freaked out at the same time!!!! smile.gif

Belated "Happy Birthday!" Hope to hear all about training and how you like it.

Posted:  8 years ago

Transgender Women In Trucking (Please don't laugh...not a joke)

Training question: Female trainee with Male trainer

I would rather have a non-smoker as a trainer than a woman trainer. Not judging here, but I really have problems with smoke of all kinds.

I would want the same. I don't smoke and when I leave my relative's place, my hair, coat and clothes reek of cigarette smoke! I don't want the wait for the female driver-trainer, and just hope snoring in the truck isn't a problem. His or possibly mine! I think the place I'm hoping to sign with has the driver awake during all the trainee driving time. Still waiting to retest next week for skills and road, so this whole thing is a new world to me.

Posted:  8 years ago

Transgender Women In Trucking (Please don't laugh...not a joke)

I guess I am wondering why people want to complicate their already complex decisions by entering a field that is filled with men who will NEVER on earth respect them. I was born female, am female and will stay female. I am not protected class. I am not lesbian. My mature age and gender are not given any special consideration at all by 98% of the male students at trucker school. Why should you or anyone with such an issue with gender identity expect BETTER treatment than those of us born and bred female by openly proclaiming your transgender status? Seems like the only place you would want to be open about it would be on the physical exam in privacy of doctor-patient relationship. All the laws on the books aren't going to change reality of the overwhelming majority of men driving the goods in this country or any other. Just being real with you.