Profile For David S.

Considering A Career

5 years, 1 month ago

David S.'s Bio

Lookin to get my CDL

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

Swift training in lewiston

Hello everyone, It's been a while I hope all is well. I'm heading to the Swift academy in Lewiston Id. on the 11th of next month Can anyone tell me what to expect? I have my two year certification and my permit ready to go. I 'm wondering if I'll have to take the DOT physical again. Any thoughts, opinions or actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

Melton truck lines going full auto?

my two cents worth, I was working as an apprentist roofer right out of High School for a roofing company using state of the art pnumatic equipment. This made roofing easier and to a degree a little safer....... however, all of the shinglers were required to use the old method using chest mounted nail strippers and a roofing hammer. The reason fo this was to maintain the old method, skills and techniques of roof application. I'm currently prepareing for school and I hope to gain a lot of experience using a manual transmission before moving to an automatic.........and not the other way around. LOL

Sensitive information over the net

Hello everyone I've been lurking (I prefer learning) for quite some time. I'm starting to apply to various companies who offer free training but I'm a little concerned about giving out sensitive information over the net. I would greatly appreciate any and all experiences and gut feelings about this.

Thanks Dave

Juror Duty

Are you gonna be here for the Songkran festitival?

I just got off the road (turned my truck in and voluntarily left. I'm leaving for Thailand in a few days and now I see a summons for Juror Duty the day after I think I'll be coming back. However, 4 days after that is my approved permit start date to start a Pacific Crest Trail thru hike. Which is over 2,660 miles and it's my one shot to go for it.

I don't mind serving but I absolutely am not willing to sacrifice my thru hike or my trip to Thailand. If I respond I feel like it will be denied.

Any advice? I know just can't ignore it. Should I say I'm still in a big rig?

Naked Woman Climbs On Top Of Big Rig After Crash On Highway

Highway 290 shut down following crash, naked woman on freeway

1234430_630x354.jpg

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A bizarre rush hour crash shut down Highway 290 at Huffmeister Road where a naked woman climbed on top of a big rig truck and refused to come down for about two hours.

I'm not in the industry yet but I'm guessing it's not a hood ornament? I'm wondering how he missed it in the pre-trip. lol

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

BMI question

We have a ton of information about Sleep Apnea in our wiki, including symptons, risks, FMCSA policies, and a BMI calculator.

We have information about all aspects of the DOT physical in our wiki also.

We also have a ton of forum conversations about sleep apnea and conversations about the DOT physical so check those out also.

Last I knew Prime had a BMI limit of 39. Anything at or above 39 and you'll need to take a sleep apnea test. This is a company policy so other companies will have their own testing policies.

Thanks everyone, this site sure takes a lot of the confusion out of what to expect from pursuing a career in the trucking industry.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Unusual circumstances

Yes if you want to quote use the quote button and type your reply after the last < / blockquote > If you want to reply without quote just hit start a new reply button .

Phil

Ok, this is a test, I think I've got down, thanks again.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Unusual circumstances

I'm not sure how to respond to the comments, I tried to do it as a quote but it's not working, can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Unusual circumstances

Trucking is not a retirement career, its hard work. I believe you will need to have had an American drivers license for a year+ to even think about it. But it may be for you, there is a lot of good info on this site to help you find out. You will also need at least a 10 year work history, with verifiable phone numbers, contacts and such. Most any recruiter can help you figure out what you need but those are 2 things you will need for sure. I would just start calling and talking and see where it leads.

I like the fact that trucking is not a retirement career, it's one of the reasons why it appeals to me. I'm a 60 year old American citizen and have had a fairly clean driving record since 1972. Given my circumstances, a solid ten year work history isn't an option. I got caught up in the economic downturn that began in '08, so competing in a rapidly increasing unemployment rate in my fifties made it difficult to find work. I appreciate your input and will definitely make some calls. Thanks again.

Dave

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Unusual circumstances

Thanks Beth, I knew this was the place to get a lot of good advice. You've given me a great idea, thanks again. Stay safe

Dave

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Unusual circumstances

Hello all, before I begin I would like to thank Daniel B. for suggesting that I post this in hopes of getting advice from multiple sources. And this is without a doubt the best source for information on the internet related to the trucking industry I've found, and I've done a lot of searching..

So, where to start? About ten years ago I met a woman on-line from Thailand. After talking to her for about a year and a half I decided to go to Thailand to meet her, the rest is history. Her family was involved in several businesses from construction to developing a rubber distribution business. I moved to Thailand in January of 2009 hopefully to semi-retire (I'm currently a healthy 60 year young guy) to possibly teach English as a second language and help out in the family business. The economy here has pretty much changed my direction and my mother's ( in her eighties) health is getting worse. I'm preparing to come back to the states to be closer to her. I want to finish out my retirement with a career as a truck driver.

All of my kids are grown and on their own, Due to financial reasons I will need to go to a company sponsored school and I'm not quite sure how to approach the companies who offer free training given the fact that I've been overseas for the last seven years. I have no permanent address other than when I was living with my sister in Oregon, nothing on my driving record....at all, that I can think of. I have a current Oregon drivers license which will expire in June of next year, and a current passport in very good standing which will expire in October of next year.

A little about me, I'm a strong healthy 60 year old. I was born in Frankfurt Germany where my father was stationed during the Korean conflict, Dad was from Texas, Mom is a California girl. I'm in decent health for a guy who is a hair over a century, I exercise daily, don't smoke, drink, do any drugs (legal or otherwise). My current BMI is about 30, I've never had high blood pressure in my life......it does however, hover around the high side. Ok, confession time, I've been overweight (non-hereditary) much of my adult life but, I ain't goin out like this. As corny as it may seem, I guess you could say that I'm "training" for a career in the trucking industry.

The TT site is my go to for getting in-depth information about the business, I guess I need to contact a few recruiters about how to make the transition. There's no room at the Inns currently in the States, so I have this crazy notion to just fly into whatever city has a school that will accept me. Pretty much hit the ground running.......at least it's one option I am considering.

So, I'm up for any ideas.

Thanks, Dave

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

BMI question

Hello everyone, I'm still gathering information to make sure I have everything covered before I dive into this. I read a lot about people who get turned down because of their BMI rating. Can anyone tell me what the minimum requirement to NOT have to take the "sleep apnea" test? My current BMI is about 30.3. I have a thousand more questions for different issues related to my current situation. Thanks for any comments, opinions and advice.

Who to contact

Hey Dave. We have tons of information on Company-Sponsored Training Programs at that link right there.

Thanks Brett, I'm going to contact all of them.

Who to contact

Hello everyone,

I'm really anxious to begin a new career in trucking. I would like to ask any and all for contact information for companies who offer company sponsored training. My current life situation is not what you would consider, well, "normal" for a lack of a better word. I would be happy to tell the company who referred me.

Thanks a bunch. Dave

Hearing requirements

Thanks for the information guys. Is there any way to contact you privately? I think my situation is fairly unique and I would like to discuss it privately before moving forward with a career in trucking. Again, thanks for the information.

Hearing requirements

Hello all, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the hearing requirements are for getting my CDL.

My apologies

I've been doing a great deal of research about getting into trucking in the last couple of months. I would like to apologize to all of the truck drivers that I have encountered on the road in the last 45 plus years that I have been driving. I've always had a lot of respect for the men and women who supply the country with everything we need in our lives. I always give way to the trucks when we share the road, flash my lights to let them know they are clear to move over, slow down to let them merge during heavy traffic......but, I will admit that I (and I'm sure many other four wheeler's) believe we can out run and out maneuver the big guys on the road. Now that I'm interested in a career as a truck driver I realize how ridiculous it is to make that assumption, and I am truly sorry.

I never cut directly in front of a truck to catch an off ramp I knew how incredibly dangerous and equally stupid it is to do. And I never closed the gap between the truck and the traffic in front of him/her, you don't need to be a truck driver to know how difficult it can be for them.

Dave

Is trucking getting safer or more dangerous?

Hello, I'm still in the "thinking" stage for getting into the industry. I try to find anything and everything I can relating to driver safety at truck stops, rest stops and all other places to safely shut down and it just seem to be getting tougher to do. I can handle the different personalities drivers encounter in their day to day lives. I can handle surviving on the road, but the thing that concerns me the most is being able to shut down for the required rest times without having to worry about someone wanting to take what little I have. Any comments, suggestions on how to overcome this concern would be greatly appreciated.

Helping with loading/unloading

I've been doing a lot of research into the industry and found that drivers spend a lot of time at shippers waiting to get loaded or unloaded. This may be an "out there" question but unless it's prohibited by the insurance companies is it possible to either help or unload/load by yourself?

Enduring the punishment from the road

Hello everyone, my name is Dave and I'm new to Trucking Truth.

I've been studying anything and everything I can in preparation for my CDL. I came across a trucking video where one of the comments was a two part question regarding enduring the relentless assault on a drivers body from the vibration from the road, and how is it possible to get any quality sleep from all the noise at truck stops?

I've been researching information from any source I can find. This site is the best source of that information I have come across and would recommend it to anyone looking to get into the industry.

Any comments, tips and hard knocks wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Most trucks these days have air ride, meaning your seat has an infateable bag that can adjust the height and "bounce" from the road. A lot of chairs also have multi comfort such as lumbar.

As for sleeping in truck stops, 9/10 times you'll pass out with no issues. A full 14 he day whipes you out, but the trucks are pretty well insulated and noise isn't much of an issue. I can sleep between to big trucks with refer units going at the same time with no issues and I sleep lite.

Thanks for the info, much obliged.