Profile For Chris

Chris's Info

Hampton, VA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 2 months ago

Chris's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I have a problem with keeping my eating out spending low... How can I discipline myself?

I find myself at Walmart, I procure all of my healthy necessary desires as fsr ss eating goes, I even allow myself a couple goodies to contain the beast. I tell myself I will koderate my food intake, but then something happens, I eat lack the desire to cook after having driven 10 hours, or had a 20+ hour day, because you know, i'm a flatbedder. I have my steaks that I LOVE, brocolli and spinach in cream which I love!

The vegis are easy, i nuke them, they are dismantled within a week, never to be seen again, but the steaks and other meats sit in my freezer, just staying all frozen and what not. Those tasty buzzards taunt me. Then I go to Denny's because they have steak I don't have to personally cook and amazing lemonade.

I find the time to work out like a beast znd I have a body that some desire, but rarely find the time to cook.

My main spenders are ihop, denny's, huddle house, and pilot coffee.

I have added up my last 8 months and I spend an average of $900 a month on easy food.

What can I do to curb my desire for easy food and reduce my spending? I need an idea of how to discipline myself.

When I am home, my lady motivates me, she doesn't really cook much, but I like to give her the best, so I cook when I am home with her and my son. Then again, when i'm there the only work I'm doing is not tiring in the least bit. Is my desire for more money just not enough or am I just an undisciplined fool?

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

I80 vs I70

Going from St. Louis to salt lake city. It's been along time since I've been on I70. Usually when I go west it's either I80 or I40. How different is I70 compared to I80 in terms of hills, truck stops etc? And no I will not take I70 west of Denver!

I much prefer i80 to i70, except Wyoming, but Colorado isn't much better. Lol

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

I went local, and I'm not sure if I'm happy anymore, any advice?

So, my significant other wanted me to try out a local job, so I applied and within a week I got an interview. Three weeks later I went in and got the job. Two week after that I started.

I have now worked here for three weeks, and I have missed the road for the last two weeks.

I switched from flatbedding to beer hauling, I am no stranger to hard work, but what is the point of being local when I get up at 4am and get off at 5 to 6pm only to go to sleep and basically be on the same schedule I was on the road. The only difference is now I get to have arguments before bed more often..

Not to mention my yearly income dropping from an average of $70k to 42k...

Anywho, the company I left, that I actually really liked gives drivers 30 days to come back with no orientation, just go through benefits and get a truck and get back to it.

What would you do what else would you look at?

Posted:  12 months ago

Patience at the pumps

That one ****es me off, here is one. Driver blocked me on for 30 MINUTES! So I did what any rational person would do, I yanked and held the airhorn until I embarrassed hos stupid self. He didn't have a CB, everyone was ****ed at a few of these guys.

Posted:  12 months ago

Got an interview for a local position...

I'll also note, I've been driving for them for awhile, I'm not just up and leaving. This has become a way of life for me, but I feel the need to change it, even though flatbedding, I find myself skimping on meals and errr... gaining weight.

Posted:  12 months ago

Got an interview for a local position...

So, I have an interview for a local position with a local beer distributing company that I used to work for. I used to be a truck helper there, then went off and got my CDL and started driving for Melton. I LOVE what I do, but I also love my son and wife. I honestly didn't expect an interview from this company.

My delimma and why I am posting here. I want to be home every night and have those 2 days off a week, go to the gym and start lifting again, cook in a stable environment, but I'm gonna miss my big blue were, errr truck.

What do you suggest for me to get the heck over myself?

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Finding Gears...

My driver trainer wants me to take the truck out of gear when taking turns at the company i'm at, however the speeds for each gear are not the same in this truck, i learned how to find my gears per my speed on a different truck. What do I do? I don't understand what he means by bumo until i find the right gear.. also, i have a bad habit of taking corner super fast, how do i beat into my head that i need to slow down more? It's so terrifying...

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

My 4CDL.com Training Log

I haven't posted in awhile, but I fonished CDL school and tested on 07/25/2017 then got on a plane to Tulsa, OK on 07/30/2017 to start Orientation with Melton Truck Lines on 07/31/2017.

I won't get too much into Melton Truck Lines as this thread is about 4CDL.com out of the Hampton, VA Thomas Nelson Community College campus. However, I will say I am still here and will be at Orientation tomorrow! I am 100% sure i'll be here to graduate Sunday, I am loving the sweat and hard work. If you're looking for a easy, cushy job, don't do flatbed. I mean, the concepts are easy, it's just hard in battling the sweat that drips off your forehead across your safety glasses, glasses fogging up, although you use your bodyweight mostly for binders and straps, it still takes a certain amount of strength. Laziness can get you or even worse someone else killed.

Anywho, as far as 4CDL in Hampton Virginia goes, they have some good instructors and some **** poor instructors.

If you pay cash, the training is $3995, financed $4995, they take many different grants, however I know nothing about them as I paid cash up front.

Gerald is a great in classroom instructor, he's okay on the road, but not my desired road trainer, he is good at teaching backing too.

Larry is a great road trainer, I never would have gotten to where I am on my parallel parking and shifting if it weren't for him. He got to me where I put the truck in parallel park with only 1 half pull up. He got my shifting to where it was smooth with rare grinds or scrapes without dumping the clutch either. I have a lot of respect for this man, do right right by him, he'll do right by you, this means you get out what you put in.

If you decide to go here, help clean up at the end of the day! I know you're gonna be tired, sweaty or cold, ot sucks, but they do a lot to help you, help them out too!

Rick is the head of the Hampton part of the program, good guy, he does a lot of the behind the scenes work, you won't see him too much, but remember he does work hard. All the instructors want to help you, but don't sit around, practice! If you're not backing, go pre trip, step in and go through pre trip with others, it'll help you hone your knowledge. The parts are an issue, you can learn them in a couple hours, it's a matter of fofuring out the what, why, and how to each part so you can link the correct terminology to each component.

Back every single chance you get. Don't complain about not getting any road time if you can't back in darn right near perfectly. If you can't back a truck in with ease, then you don't know how to control that truck well enough to be on the road anyways.

If you drive a manual, forget everything you know. Also, before you go to the shift pad to learn shifting, LEARN YOUR GEAR PATTERN. Study IT EVERYDAY until it's engrained into your head. I sat up in a truck that was turned off and went through the gears with rhe shift pattern written in front of me, it truly head, i bounced through that shift pad for 2 days then went on the road, all i had to do was smooth out my braking and clutching.

These are little heads up tips from me that they won't tell you. Don't bad mouth instructors, if you do, they won't wanna help you, why should they if you goof off and bad mouth them? They are humans too. Just because you think they arent doing anything doesnt mean they arent. Larry and Gerald are good trainers, respect them.

Another thing, don't skip class, especially if you are a weekend day guy, unles syou are sick, but communicate that via call to larry and gerald or rick if neither of those two are working that day. If I had to miss a day on the weekend due to life in general, I always made it up during the week when i could. I even went extra days during the weeks. Over 12 weeks, i probably got 300+ hours although my certificate says 160. They stopped counting my attendance because i went over hours a month prior, but that's the beautiful part of 4CDL, if you aren't ready for testing, they don't send you unless you whine and raise cane. If you need resfreshers later down the road, guess what? Refreshers are free for life! They won't gaurentee you a job, but they will also take time to help you with job placement based on your desires and abilities. The recruiters that do come to the school seems to be brutally honest because rick, gerald and larry do NOT allow them to Bull crap you, they'll throw them out, with that said, if you don't hear a company suggested, there is a reason, they bull crapped in the class room or on ths lot when they came most likely.

Anywho, that is all I have to say, I rate the school overall 4 out of 5 stars. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

My 4CDL.com Training Log

I haven't updated in awhile, life has been well, to say the least, hectic, but school is great! It took me less than a hour to learn the parallel park, I run through my pre trip basically, I do it fsst according to them, but to me i feel like i'm taking my time, I hit every part, I finally started remebering to actually call out and touch the engine block lol, as if it's not obvious where it is, oh well.

I am a weekend guy, but they let said I could come anytime during the week if I wanted to, so I did that on a friday. Saturday wasn't much of anything special, I took my final in class exam, 104 questioks, omly got 1 wrong due to misreading, oh well, I still maintain my 4.0 average lol.

Sunday was exciting, father's day! Funny thing, the only people who showed up to class at all were all fathers, the rest who didn't show up aren't at all.. lol! And even then, only 4 of us showed up ON TIME aka 15 to 30 minutes early, i'm always early.

Anywho, we pre tripped the truck and got on the road, i didn't do any road driving where cars existed the student in the class ahead of me did, but then they finished and we drove to the shift pad (an empty less used back road that goes in circles, TAKING ANOTHER LEFT TURN!!!)

As you well know, or should if you've been reading, i've never driven manual, well.... It worked to my advantage, I double clutched and never tried to single clutch it. My forst few shifts and first brake to a stop were well, JUMPY JUMPY. I then started shifting very smooth, I'd get all the way up to 7th, about 25mph theb down shift to 4th. The instructor was able to stop giving me direction. After only 10 minutes, i'm so proud of myself, not trying to toot my horn, just feeling proud. Impressed everyone in the truck, he even held a conversation with the other students because he was so confident in my ability at that point. Wasn't nearly as difficult as U thought it would be, and splittimg the gears? Psh, easy. Now i can't afford to take an extra day off for class this week so i'm waiting till saturday to get back in the truck, fortunetly, i catch on and 99% of the time retain everything i learn perfectly.

So I am at this point gonna continue rotating on practicing all my back maneuveurs, doing 3 or 4 pre trips a day, and of course get some time of the shift pad now! :) Can't wait till I get out on the road, i'm sure it'll be very soon, I am doing my best to finish fast by taking extra days. Orientation is July 31st, it was the 17th, but I talked to the recruiter and told her about the weather related and instructor related setbacks and she pushed it back for me so i'd have wiggle room.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Any good trucking simulators out there?

Any good trucking simulators out there to practice on at home.

I am currently in school, I have been using American Truck Simulator just for fun, but it has hekped me greatly on the fundementals of backing and taking right turns while trying to keep the tandems close to the curb. I play it only, I found a place on the game where i could practice off sets too. It's best to have a steering wheel, the shifter is unrealistic however.

False Positives

How common is it to get a false positive from a hair follicle test and has anyone that's been genuinely clean ever had a false positive?

Following, I am 100% clean myself, never touched any illegal drugs, but after reading stories online, i'm a bit concerned, shouldn't have to be...

The false positive is from reading the online stories about people in denial of their illicit drug use.

If you are not using, and haven't for 9 months (hair follicle test), then try not to worry about it.

Most likely these 'false positives' being spewed out all over the internet are actually just 'false information' from folks who are in denial, that is great to know G-Town, I feel 100% at ease now. Well sorta, on that matter I do, i'm still tripping over myself trying to learn trip planning, I wanna do my best at my first company and become one of the top tier go to drivers. I have always been the go to guy at every company I ever worked for because of my consistency and reliability, maybe i'm overthinking my learning.

Verification for Melton

What if you've driven buses with a B Class?

I believe the same applies.

False Positives

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Why oh why have Trucker's wages not kept place with inflation?! What can Truckers do to change this????

Simply think about it this way, if the cost of shipping goes up, how long do you think the retail price of product will stay the same? Do you really think shippers are going to take the extra hit to their pocket or raise prices to fund their riches?

I have been on the shipper side of things, I always looked for the highest quality BUT also the CHEAPEST bid to move my materials. If my minimum shipping cost were to have risen, guess where i'd make up for that? In the retail of the materials I had.

As long as companies are still profiting, they will try to get as much out of a shipper as possible, but even if they profit $30 on that load in the end, profit is profit and it adds up when you have super companies such as swift and others..

There will always be a lower bidder, and some O/O's that fail will run for less than their operating costs because they don't know they are, hence one of the MANY reasons many fail in the first 6 months and TT suggests against it, especially for the non business minded..

Verification for Melton

I work for Melton & went through their orientation 4 months ago.. I can tell you 1st hand..everything Brett & Old school said is pretty dead on..

Their orientation is a vetting process & some people will get weeded out for various reasons...14 of the 22 in my orientation got to become drivers for Melton.

You should be fine if you are honest with them, haven't done drugs & can show that you have had a little bit of practice driving a semi.

They also do both kinds of drug tests hair & urine...and they have an interrogation process where they will have different personnel ask you the same questions about various things in different ways...sometimes they will do it in an informal manner to catch you off guard...They are looking for inconsistencies & will send you home if they catch you in a lie...even a seemingly trivial one....I saw a couple people in my orientation sent home as a result of this. They are real big on honesty.

I should be perfectly fine then. One thing that erked my nerved on the phone but I didn't show that it did. They kept bantering me about drugs, I have never even touched a cigarrette let alone illicite drugs, have I been near then? Well sure, I graduated high school in 2012, in my school you couldn't go through a day without seeing someone smoking one, my school was kecoughtan but everyonr called it krackatan but I never touched anything myself, I care about my body too much. The lady then says "you know most people have had some form of illegal drug in their lifetime, it's okay as long as you tell us."

Me "I have never touched a drug."

A 10 year hair follicle will prove that though. That was just on the phone!!! Lol, i'll be okay. Thank you for your input, i'm excited!

Verification for Melton

Chris, everything that Brett said!

I also would make sure you bring everything with you to orientation, including each document you've already sent your recruirer. I can't tell you how many times I've seen folks get tripped up over not having those things with them. They think, "I've already sent that to the recruiter, so they already have it." Make sure and be over prepared documentation wise.

On your ten years employment, lay it all out and include what you were doing in any employment gaps. It can be as simple as: "March 14, 2001 to June 26, 2001 - unemployed, looking for a job."

They don't actually need a resume, just a good thorough time line.

Thank you for the reply Old School, I agree with always being over prepared, I think that's what my CDL school instructors thouhht of me the first day of class when I showed up with two bottles of water, two oranges juices, a note book, and took notes on everynsingle thing they said. LOL

Verification for Melton

Yeah, you'll fill out all kinds of stuff once you arrive. The background checks will dig up everything - criminal record, driving record, employment record - they really do a super thorough job. People are routinely surprised at the depths they'll find stuff. So as long as you answered their questions honestly you should be in good shape. If you take any medications, disclose them up front and have your prescription with you. If you've taken any in the past 6 months they will likely show up on a hair follicle test, if they do one, so make sure you have proof that you were prescribed that medication.

I disclosed the advil, nightquil, ibprofen, and i'm not sure what the dentist used to numb my gums, but in the phone interview i told them "I had a shot at the dentist for numbing my gums, i'm not sure what it was however." They seemed to be okay with that. They asked me for what reasons i took each medication and the nightquil was back when i was extremely sick and not.able to sleep due to a cold at all, the advil was taken for pain after i ran out of ibprofen ok my multiple visits to the dentist office for fixing multiple cavaties.

I don't believe I have anything to be worried about that I can remember, I passed a background check for the fire department as a volunteer.

Verification for Melton

What the companies do is get you to their facility as quickly as possible before someone else can. Then they'll do everything once you're there. They'll verify your employment history, do a really thorough background check, send you for a physical and drug screen, and all that. Doing all that stuff takes a lot of time and money, so they don't want to waste that time and money on someone just to find out they're not coming.

So what they'll do is just verify quickly over the phone, or through a short application process online, that you meet the minimum qualifications to work there. Basically, they'll take your word for it right now, and verify everything for real once you arrive. You have the pre-hire in your email, so that's your written proof that you're signed up and ready to go.

They will only need to verify your employment for the past three years. Once you've driven a truck professionally then by law they have to verify your employment, or your whereabouts, for the past 10 years. Run this by your recruiter to make sure you have the information you'll need with you. It's not that they can't ask for the past ten years right now, but they probably won't.

Don't let the stress get to ya! It's a tough challenge being in this profession, but if you're up for that challenge it's an amazing experience and super rewarding in a lot of ways. But hey, "the hard is what makes it great" as Tom Hanks said in "A League Of Their Own".

Keep us updated.

Thank you for your reply Brett, it has put me at ease a bit, so basically I will fill a paper application out once I arrive?

Also, regarding the background check, I have nothing to hide, but it seems to be very foggy of the exact details that they are background checking. What exactly does the background check reveal? I'd suppose the only thing they'd find is that I had an accident in march 2013 at fault resulting in a failure to yield right of way with a voluntary drivers improvement course before going to court to pay the fine off. I disclosed this to them already. I am just curious and can't really find much on it.

Thank you again Brett!

Verification for Melton

So, my Melton recruiter says that i do not need to enter an application after having gone through a whole process on the phone, even got a pre-hire letter in my email, I try to do most everything through email now so I have written proof of everything that has been said. Have any of you just called like myself and never needed to put in an application? I have yet to send in my tax returns for the past three years to prove my self employment, but I just scanned them in to the computer.

Secondly, they still do want my employment history for the past 10 years though they only verify the last 3. Do I just type this up on a document and print it out to take with me to Tulsa, or do I just need to print out my resume with this on there? This whole process seems odd, but i'm excited either way, I just need some clarification on this.

On another note, if you didn't see my diary on the other forum, I am progressing through school just fine with only minor hiccups due to instructor issues. :)

Thank you for putting up with me guys! I've been here for a long time and I finally saved up the money to pay cash and have a good emergency fund to move forward with school and getting a job!

My life's dream is coming to, even if there is stress, I just need to remember i've always wanted this.

Entering the Industry -- With a wife and newborn at home

Congratulations on the almost newborn, I am 24 myself and currently in CDL school with a 15 month old, my lady unfortunately isn't able to leave her job just yet due to the debt we currently have. She has a car payments at $230.00 a month, me $108.00 a month on my truck because I put so much down when I bought it, then we have her medical bills that will be paid off in december and my son's medical bill which comes to a grand total of $25,000ish... Oh, did I mention I also own a horse? Lol, as soon as we pay my truck off this year, and her medical bill, i'll make her car payment and if it makes sense have her go part time. She is a manager but only makes $11/hr at subway and I am self employed as a caregiver. I feel you on starting in this industry with a new family, I look forward to following you!

It's great to hear I'm not the only one, Chris! My wife works for $8/hr at a local day-care and I work as a full-time meat cutter at a grocery chain called Harvey's. The company is going bankrupt, but for the time being, I'm making $12/hr which is very much decent for somebody my age in my location. Our rent is $525 a month, plus a credit card, plus our utilities and oh, $27,000 in student loans. We can manage, but who wouldn't want better? More money plus more time at home. My wife and son are my priority over myself anyway so trucking seems to be the better choice. Anyway... Who are you schooling with? -NiMa

Whew! I wish my rent was that low, my total monthly expenses for me alone comes to $2500, for her roughly $600/month. I am going through the 4CDL program through my local community college, it's not the college's program originally, im not sure how they ended up putting their office there, but i paid cash for the course to get a $1000 discount. Where are you based out of?