Comments By RedBeard

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/peterbuilt-sunset.jpg avatar

Headed to Ennis...fingers crossed

good luck

McElroy Truck Lines

What is their agility test like? I'm a small guy and not sure I'll be able to lift the tarps

yea welcome to the site. So how small are you? Just to give you a heads up about a tarp just cause your small dont mean anything i had a guy in my class who weighed 122 i had a hundred lbs on the guy it was kinda easy for me and tough for him but he did it and did it twice so anybody can pick it up as long as they do it the right way and give it all they got.

Flatbed Variety

Are O/O or company and do you know how long most heavy haul guys stay out?

McElroy Truck Lines

Been great, hard, but good doin lots of coupling/uncoupling, backing, tons of trip plans, and some trapping and sceuring. They said my trainer will teach me a lot more when i am with him. I did meet up with squid great guy got his number and already talk to him about somethings i was worried about. He said you and him swaped numbers thats great he is really helpful and will answer any of our questions hell me and him talked for around 30 mins the other day. I will try and keep you updated on here but being honest next 4 weeks will be rough so may not be able to do a whole lot on here.

McElroy Truck Lines

Dude sorry i missed you today i was asking around for you but didnt ask bruce. Also i dont have a smart phone so i didnt see this until i got back to hotel. Ill talk to bruce tommorrow and try to get your number. Besides not sure they would have let me talk much we have been really busy they are throwing a lot at us this week with our road evlauation(loaded trailer) today and back up manuvers tommorrow not to mention trip planning and cbts hell you know the drill.

McElroy Truck Lines

Hey red beard looks like we might get to meet up I should be in Cuba on Monday, they are giving me a new truck. I have swapped 4 times. That is not normal by the way almost everyone I talked to has their first truck for roughly 6 mos. I just have that cloud above me. Lol. But I'm heading out tomorrow bound for Huntsville then down to Cuba. Hope we can meet up while I'm there. Send me a pm with your name and info so we can.

I have finished 6 weeks and aside from swapping trucks so many times it's been great. From my trainer to my FM even Bruce Moore who does final week and was on vacation for our class they have all been there for me and helped to get me into this new truck. I have felt really bad for calling so much with discrepancies, but they have been nothing but supportive and it helps that I have run very hard for the company. As matter of fact just Monday I ran 648 miles with a regin load securement and took a shower lol. If you keep the door shut and bust your butt this company will take great care of you.

dude that will be awesome ill be doing back up drills so hopefully we can meet up i sent you a pm hope it works mine dont work. Yea that is what a lot of people said keep your door shut and keep moving and everything will be great. Well hopefully see you tommorrow.

McElroy Truck Lines

Congrats man, looking forward to your next update...So no video game and no high BP...was agility pretty much just getting on and off the trailer and lifting the tarps

yes tarps and getting on and off the trailer plus they put weights in a box and make you pick it up and move remember keep your head up it creates good posture.

3rd is spent all day in the yard doing coupling/uncoupling, folding tarps and throwing straps no chains that day. If they talk about a record for the fastest tarp folding time. just try and beat it you may not beat it but you should get a hat for trying. A couple of guys in our class did and one guys was like 10 seconds off. Also that day is the road evaluation test like squid said all turns in 4th and seriously i mean seriously check your mirrors every 5 to 8 seconds and you will do fine.

4th day is in the classroom all day doing map reading and log books. I loved that day i love reading maps knowing the states and doing fake trip planning (i am sure ill dislike trip planning when i have to actually have to do it for real). If you dont know how to read an atlas i suggest you start now, study every part like mileage directoy, legend, height restrictions and index. Now you dont need to know the distance between nashvile and dallas or how many height restrictions florida has and where small town usa is but just where to find them at. I am saying that cause the more you know the better and it will help you not to fall behind.

5th day they issued your employee id and gave you a hat and said welcome to mcelroy but that does not mean your in the clear i have read and actually talked to guys working there nothing is final till you take your first solo run so dont let your guard down ill still might the ax hope not but you never know. Also on that day you get shown the backing field and what they want from you we wont start that till sunday we got off for the weekend but have to be there at 11am on sunday to start that and start doing shift training with a fully loaded trailer.

McElroy Truck Lines

So i have finished two days orientation here it as follows;

1st day is a whole and i mean a whole lot of paper work like more paperwork than it is to buy a house. Then afetr that another guy comes in and talks about saftey and the simulator. He tells saftey is the most important thing and how 99% of all accidents are preventable and a lot of people think they are great drivers in their personal cars but are really average due to eating and checking our cell phones. Also he tells us to take the simulator very very serious and never ever call it a video game.

2nd day is your DOT physical and your agility test its pretty simple a few hard parts but not to hard just breath the whole time through try not to get excited about anything so you can keep that heartrate down. They are big on not having high blood pressure.

So hope that helped out a little ill try and let you know how the rest of my week goes.

McElroy Truck Lines

Thanks ill keep that in mind squid when i go down there. Parrot ill will let you and this site how it goes ill try and keep notes and hopefully like hell ill get through it. Good luck to you in Ennis my classmate said he got within less 4 seconds of following distance when passing a car and said another guy got sent home cause he took a corner to fast so like squid said we gotta keep in fourth.

Squid ill look again hopefully its in one of those folders if not we will figure something out.

McElroy Truck Lines

That still sounds good about the tarps and miles which is pretty much what recruiter said i didnt get the pm but that is nothing new i get emails from brett and emails about notifications but not pms. Mcelroy sounds but i am a little worried i had a classmate get sent home cause he failed the road test. Me and him were pretty equals in driving i think he was actually better than me but i cant let it get to me i just hope i get passed it.

McElroy Truck Lines

Hey welcome to the site Parrothead66 and dont worry about asking to many questions i am pretty sure i have asked so many they stop reading my post but still have ask some. So Reformed Squid i know your on dedicated routes and not sure if it applies to you or to the regional guys is it true that 70% of the loads are pre tarpped i think it would really be around 50% but just wondering. Oh and do you know about how many miles some of the regional guys get i know the guys your way will get more due to straight and flat roads nothing like the southeast kentucky and the vriginias like ill be running.

McElroy Truck Lines

This company has great retention most of the drivers I have come across have 5+ years and the rest have 2+ I've only come across a few other rookies so far. Are you looking at coming to work here?

Not looking i am i going start orientation on monday ill be getting down to cuba alabama sunday and really hoping to get the same room that one of my classmates is staying in he started his orientation this monday. I am just asking you a ton of questions cause you are driving for them and know whats really going on. Thanks a lot for answering them i really do think i made a good choice on my first and maybe only trucking company but who knows what the future will bring. So do you know if there are a lot trainers in middle tennessee around the nashville area and can you really park at any lowes if the truck stop is full?

McElroy Truck Lines

My trainer lived in Athens so it was about 100 miles for me to drive so not bad. Anything over 200 miles they reimburse you for and if it's over another mileage they will offer you a hotel there. My week usually starts with a load I had taken home Friday from Nashville, Ar. And deliver to Houston Austin or like this morning I'm going to frisco tx. Then I will either shoot back or if I can deliver early I can grab an extra load working my way back to Nashville. I have only pulled 2 lowes loads but I have grabbed some Steele and a couple lumber loads after dropping one of these dedicated loads. I forgot to mention the lower paid dedicated stuff is for the guys who are home every night and they are pulling 2-3 loads a day that are min pay of $85 and they get the empty back. The training was a much more detailed version of driving school we're really big on smith system here. Depending on your trainer you will get some phenomenal experience and knowledge so far from the tx trainers there is only 1 I have heard anything bad about and the few times I met him I was not impressed.

thanks for the info it really helps. So i heard there is not a lot of turnover there well compared to the trucking industry as a whole, is that true?

The highs are really high and the lows are really low

All i can i say is wow! Well thanks for insight ill keep that in mind when i start next week. Hope tommorrow is better than today good luck out there and be safe.

Fun with P and D!

You are ALIVE! LOL

And a few months ago you were so bummed about not fitting into that OTHER company that does not even matter any more. You stepped in a pile of **** and came out smelling like a rose.... Now your kids can say.... "My mama is a trucker!"

-Pat M.

And you know what? I'm starting to run into my buddies from that "other" company and it's really cool. We're all still friendly, they recognize me, we re-introduce ourselves, I'm really happy to see them, and they're seeing me really happy. I had nothing against any of the drivers and I'd made some decent friends there. It was a couple of trainers/administrators who made me so miserable.

My company treats me so well, I bet they're wondering what it's like "over there" with my people.

And yeah, the kids do say their Mamma is a Trucker. LOL!

-mountain girl

hey mountain girl i was wondering what company hires a student for p/d and line haul that is not that "other company". I read how you got treated with that "other company" and that sucks. I am pretty sure you have said what company you work for and i must have missed it sorry.

Married military couple looking to driver OTR as a team

I got my CDL through a local college using the G. I. Bill. Having your CDL in advance might give you more options.

The company I drive for does not train to get the CDL. There are two phases to training. First phase is with a trainer for 5,000 miles. The second phase is teaming with another trainee for 40,000 miles. You are paid by the mile during training.

sounds like PTL? If so yea they hire rookie teams right out of school and so does Crete/Shaffer trucking.

Final test.

Started my weekend on a good note. Yesterday I went and took my hazmat double/triple and tanker endorsement test. Passed all three on the first try. This morning was our final driving pretrip and backing test. Passed all three. Look out world here I come. Its no longer safe to walk on the sidewalk lol. Thanks everyone here for all the advice. I'll be heading to covenant along with a fellow student from school on the 18th of May.

congrats good luck hope you keep the wheels rolling

McElroy Truck Lines

I have been solo for one month with them and I love it so far. Of course there have been those rough days where you sit and they load or unload slower than molasses in winter. I have gone through 2 trucks and I'm on my third one now, not very common. Some of the dedicated will pay .44 however most of what you do will earn your min pay and you will just get the empty miles back. I have been running mostly Nashville dedicated and that will really test your abilities as a driver due to some of the job sites you will deliver to. I had to have a forklift swing my trailer for me because there was literally no possible way to get out. It's a great company it really is. Good luck to you and see you on the road.

well thats good to hear really good to hear about them, as usual with most trucking companies that hire students you hear a lot of bad and good things about a company on the internet but with Mcelroy i hear good things from people who are actually working with them and not just people who have got fired from them or just quit cause they didnt like them. So i live near nashville are you running dedicated just out of texas or from texas to nashville? How was training and did you get paired up with a trainer close to you?

McElroy Truck Lines

Just to add to that, a McElroy recruiter stopped by my class yesterday. He was extremely professional and had a great powerpoint that almost answered all of our questions before we could even ask them. They don't pay any type of fuel or safety bonus or tarp pay for a few reasons, one is that they realized people were being encouraged not to report accidents and to drive in unsafe ways to try to win the bonuses and two they decided to just put it all in to the base pay. Which at .44 is very generous. 70% of their loads are preloaded and pretarped so they don't have a tarp pay.

As mentioned before you are home every weekend, I asked if you wanted to take a load across a weekend if you wanted to keep rolling and he said only on Saturday or possibly if you picked it up Sunday night but they just don't allow drivers to drive Saturday night in to Sunday or holidays except extreme circumstances. They have a solid account with Lowes stores so an interesting bonus is that if you don't have a place to park the truck during your home time you can use any Lowes or Home Depot parking lot as long as the manager at that site is ok with it. That is something they have specifically negotiated for their drivers to be able to do. Those stores don't need to be in your home town either if you use your home time to go on vacation. Keeping in mind they are a regional carrier so you won't be getting dispatches too far from home. I didn't write it down but maybe someone who is more familiar can correct me but I believe they are also going or are already all automatic transmissions in their KWs.

all good points thats why i chose them over other good companies. As for for their trucks and transmissions; 100% stick shift trannys the recruiter said they had to many problems with the automatics and almost all of their fleet is international prostars they have bought some freightliners for their top drivers in seniority to test them out.

McElroy Truck Lines

Hey robert b you still heading to mcelroy this weekend to start training? Just wondering cause ill be getting down there a week from sunday so hell i might be able to see you down there.