Profile For Veetz

Veetz's Info

Buford, GA

Considering A Career

7 years, 6 months ago

Veetz's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  7 years ago

Scenario ....

Well, you have a few things working against you. According to the manual, it takes almost 300 feet to stop a truck at 55 mph. So, if this ramp's distance is in the lower end of your 300-500 ft range AND it's downhill AND you're empty, you're gonna need every bit of that ramp to get stopped. In my opinion, you'd probably want to be doing around 45 mph when you start down the ramp...especially if the trainer expects you to hit every gear going from 8th down to 2nd. That's six "clutch-fuel-clutch's"...all while braking in between.

In this case, if the trainer was being a PITA and a person did get down to 45 before starting down the ramp, I could see him/her complaining because you could be "impeding traffic" on an interstate. But, if you're going much faster than that, it would be a lot of pressure for a brand new driver to get downshifted and stopped in time. Kind of a lose/lose situation.

Do you have to get all the way down to 2nd? As Scott mentioned, can you just get to 4th?

Posted:  7 years ago

Truck Crash Friday Afternoon - Atlanta Area

YIKES! Can't believe there weren't any fatalities...

Truck Crash

Posted:  7 years ago

Errol...movin' up in the world?

Errol...moderator...is that new? Making a great site even better!

Posted:  7 years ago

Does anyone know bout hazmat requirements

My good friend Stump, how are you doing sir?

Here's what you must do. Before you can even get your hazmat you need to apply for it. The TSA background check will let you know if you qualify. If you apply and get approved then you're good to go. But they'll be the judge.

Prior to seeking or renewing the Hazardous Materials Endorsement, you must complete the application for the fingerprint and security background checks. Call 877-429-7746 or visit http://hazprints.tsa.dhs.gov to complete the application process and make an appointment at a convenient location. The fee must be paid at the time of application.

I went through this process recently. That "hazprints" website doesn't seem to exist anymore (well, it doesn't load for me). Try this one:

In there, there's a link that details "disqualifying offenses". But, it doesn't seem to be completely cut-and-dry.

Posted:  7 years ago

Satellite TV In Your Truck?

I think Western Express has DirecTV.

Posted:  7 years ago

Next ....

Tyler,

Your fear is a good thing. It shows you really want to succeed. As Monster said, if you give 100% to the task at hand, you'll do just fine. Don't put too much pressure on yourself...just stay focused. In the blink of an eye, you'll be done and driving solo.

Errol,

"Paul is searching". Your "lead-ins" to quotes are hilarious!

Posted:  7 years ago

Georgia Pre Trip test question confused

Been watching videos and still don't understand a few things

1.When I start out side i check the lights for damage and proper color ( Are the lights turned on or off for this ?)

2. I says check light on the in cab part ( do i turn on lights and get out and see if they work then get back in to change lights)

3. On the brake check tug test some videos show just the bob tail tractor some show with a trailer hooked . ( does the examiner make you hook to a trailer or un couple if your coupled on pre trip part)

4. Also if your parking brake is on how do you pull on the slack adjuster to show you only have a inch of movement videos ive seen dont show this part

To wrap this up all in one...

1. Lights are off. For each light, I would point to each light calling it out while saying "make sure it's clean, not faded, cracked, broken, or missing. Proper color is...". Example "Headlights - make sure they're clean, not faded, cracked, broken, or missing. Proper color is clear."

2. Checking lights on the in-cab, you're actually looking at the indicators in the dash. As Robert said, the truck will be running at this point. Turn on your headlights and be sure you have dash illumination (might have to fake that a little if it's a sunny day as it might be difficult to see the illumination). Click on the high beams and make sure the high beam indicator light comes on in the dash. Do the same for each turn signal, then the 4-ways.

3. You won't do any coupling/uncoupling while at the DMV. You'll be hooked to a trailer and do the two tug tests (trailer brakes then tractor brakes).

4. As was mentioned previously, you can demonstrate checking the slack adjusters on the steers. On the drive/trailer axles, just describe to the examiner how you would check them (set wheel chocks, release brakes, pull on push-rod/slack-adjuster to be sure it doesn't move more than an inch).

Generally, you'll do the entire external pre-trip (again, engine off, lights off). Then, you'll jump in the truck to do the in-cab inspection including air brake tests. This concludes with the tug tests. In my CDL school's routine, once the tug tests are complete, you then ask the examiner if he/she will help you check your external lights for you. At that point, the examiner will exit the truck and stand in front of it. Then, you'll turn on the headlights, high-beams, each turn signal, then 4-ways. They'll probably give you a thumbs-up after each. Then, they'll go to the rear of the truck, you'll tap the brakes, hit the turn signals, then 4-ways.

Posted:  7 years ago

Georgia Pre Trip test question confused

ok im done with the permit part ..... Heard GA is one of the harder states for pre trip i found on the Oregon DMv site thru google search they let you bring a checklist with you to help out lol

I'm not sure about that. Make sure you bring your study aids with you as you'll probably have some (possibly A LOT of) downtime between when you arrive at the DMV and when you actually start testing. So, you can do some last minute review. Also, not sure what part of GA you're in...but I went through testing in May up in Gainesville, GA. My examiner was a really nice lady.

Posted:  7 years ago

Georgia Pre Trip test question confused

To get your permit, it's all written exams (the tests you stated). When you go back, it's all "practical", nothing written. You'll be with an examiner for (up to) 2 hours. In that time, you'll take them through the truck doing pre-trip inspection (including air brake tests), then 3 backing maneuvers, and finally the driving exam.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

What to do about janky cdl permit test?

Today I am proud to announce I exacted my revenge on the cdl permit test. I passed with a perfect 100. I'm now waiting for my recruiter to call me back with my bus ticket to Utah!

YOU DA MAN! Congrats!

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

What made you take on truck driving?

Smokey and the Bandit(1977), Black Dog(1998), Breakdown(1997), Joy Ride(2001)

Next time you have the day off give these films a try. It is what had me wanting to drive a truck since I was a kid.

What about Convoy? I LOVED that movie as a kid. So much so that I bought a kids book that had all the CB lingo in it and what each word meant. I ended up walking around the house "talking like a trucker". My sister hated me.

Haven't seen it in a REALLY long time, though...might not be "watchable" as an adult...

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

What to do about janky cdl permit test?

Deonte,

Yeah, I took the Georgia test in May and remember similar issues...I barely passed the general knowledge, but, like you, had no problems with the combo and air brake tests. I do remember seeing a few questions that seemed to have multiple correct answers. I also remember getting a couple of questions that seemed completely foreign to me (and I felt like I studied pretty hard). That test system looks like it was developed in the late 80s. Walking out of it, I did wonder if they ever update it.

Anyway, don't sweat it and stay after it. You're likely to get a better mix of questions tomorrow. Not to mention, some of the questions tomorrow should be the same as what you got today. So, you have that going for you! Good luck, man!

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Roehl, Prime, Schneider,Werner-----Where to go???

Schneider is going to automatics. But, it'll of course, be the newest trucks that have them. So, it would be highly unlikely you'd get an automatic right out of the gate. They also do not allow pets at all.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Can I Do It...pretrip calculator

I like this idea. I think most would say a driver wouldn't need it after driving for a while. But, if the app worked well and a driver used it from the beginning of his/her career, I think it's very possible he/she'd continue to use it indefinitely.

Thoughts on inputs:

Maybe a radio button to determine whether or not fuel/scale stop will be needed?

Inputs for multiple deliveries.

Input for average load/unload time, if known. If not, maybe use some sort of default.

Maybe a "setting" for normal speed the user drives.

Errol - DOS?!?! NICE! I got into BASIC once upon a time...ya know...on the Commodore 64!

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Schneider orientation in Dallas texas

I start orientation on Tuesday. How difficult is the backing during the first week? What kind of backs do you do? I'm pretty confident with my ability to do it. Do you spend 3 weeks gone from home or do they give you the option to drive home before you meet with a trainer? I would just like some info on their orientation. I just graduated school and got my cdl

I went through Schneider's training this Summer in Atlanta. Making a little bit of an assumption that training at the other Operating Centers is similar, pretty much the only backing you'll do in week 1 is on a backing yard sticking your trailer between two other trailers. It wasn't difficult, but the training yards in ATL have A LOT of space...absolutely nothing to worry about in front of the truck.

I think you can expect to be away from home the entire three weeks unless you live pretty close to the Operating Center. Week one's class will run through Saturday. For me and most of my classmates, the trainer (TE) picked up the trainee at the OC on Monday morning of week 2. Although, we had one guy get picked up on Sunday and had two others who had to travel to their trainers. So, it will depend on how the chips fall and that's probably only if you're driving your own vehicle. I don't think Schneider will pay to send you home and back.

Overall, it's a decent experience. I've read it on here a bunch...there's good trainers and bad trainers out there. Schneider was no different in my experience. I had a pretty good trainer, one not-so-good (being kind), and an awesome training engineer (the person you go on the road with for the 2nd week). Probably pretty standard.

Resume question

I have an interesting question to ask. What can one do to a resume once you have a CDL. I have non commercial driving experience but I don't know how to build a resume once I have my CDL. any thoughts?

Are you asking where you would list a CDL on a resume? (I'll assume "yes").

Any chance you're going to a truck driving school to prepare for the CDL exams? If so, you could list the school under "education" and mention that you completed the CDL exams.

If not going to school, you could add an "accomplishments" (or "achievements") section on a resume and list it there.

All that being said, I agree with Steve above. I just got my CDL last week and have been applying to companies. While I have an updated resume, I haven't needed it to this point.

Good luck!