Comments By Wilson

https://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag27/Drake_Edwards/Profile_zps84fc6d5d.jpg avatar
  • Wilson
  • Comments:

Looking for a company that allows big dogs and has apus

Melton has a flag system that lets the planners know who has a pet and/or rider. That being said, I picked up at a steel place where there were no riders allowed. The Melton driver who arrived before me kicked his SO out while he loaded. Didn't realize that or I would have offered her a place out of the wind and cold while I waited for my appt time. Having those "restrictions" may make an impact on your earnings since the planners have to work accordingly.

Well I learned something new. That's pretty cool. I'm not sure it would have *that* much of an impact since in my seven months, I think I was at two places that had those restrictions.

Flatbed physical

The Melton agility test (when I took it) was standing on the right foot for a minute and the left foot for a minute. Then we went to the rear of a nearby trailer where three tarps were on the ground. We were to pick them up and place them on the back of the trailer. I believe they were checking for two things. Strength and technique. Keep your back straight and use your legs. Putting them back on the ground was easy. I just dropped mine! The tarps were three different weights. I think they ranged from 60-100 pounds.

Looking for a company that allows big dogs and has apus

Melton has big APUs and allow for dogs.

Wait. You said big dogs and APUs. Well anyway, they have both. Since I do not have a pet, I didn't pay attention to the weight limit of the pet. Nothing a phone call can't handle or a visit to their web site. That is if you would consider skateboarding over dry van.

Also, something to think about or research. In my travels, I have been sent to companies (only a few) that do not allow any riders or pets on their property: no exceptions. Now I don't know what pet owners or drivers with spouses do in cases like that. But just so you are aware of speed bumps down the road.

What about it, pet owners. What do you do at those places? Where do you put your pet and/or your spouse while there?

2 week notice with Schneider

HackAttack, I feel your pain. There is a learning curve to all this. When I was at Melton for my orientation, they told us there more than once, "Your first three to four months are going to really SUCK!" And you know what, they were right. I'm glad they told me up front and not try to candy-coat it. I am still making rookie mistakes at seven months, but a lot less now. Things are starting to gel and I am getting more and more proficient. I am constantly open for tips to make things even more proficient. You have got some really great advice in the previous posts and as for my 2 cents, stick with it. I have already made up my mind to stick it out for my first year. I have passed up offers that included time home and more money. I just want it on my record that I can do a year without incident(s).

The best time to take naps are on the straightaways; never on the curves! rofl-3.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bottom line is stick it out and you will get better at what you are doing. It won't happen over night, nor in 2 months. I think you will be better off in the long run by staying with them longer.

Flatbedding for a first job?

So I just wanted to know what yall think of somebody just getting out of school going to a flatbed company? Also how should I prepare myself for the physical?

Well, I think there's nothing wrong with it. That's what I did. I entered my CDL school without ever even sitting in a truck before. I graduated and went directly to Melton for orientation. They will teach you everything you will need to know. They won't set you up for failure. On the contrary, they will set you up for success! I then completed my 3-week training with a trainer and now I am solo. That was the process in a peanut shell. There was a lot of things I did that went on during this, research and so forth. But the bottom line is that if that's what you want to do, go for it!

As far as the physical goes, I am assuming you are referring to the company physical that some have. I know Schneider has a You Tube video on their physical. Once you determine which company you are going with, find out what their physical entails and make sure you can do what they want you to do. You don't want to get there and fail the physical; it would be a big time waster for you. Every company is different so you will have to find that information out. Talk to drivers from that company and see what they say about the physical (and anything else you want to know about that company). Know what you are getting into and what will be required of you. There's nothing wrong with practicing standing on one foot for 1 minute prior to the physical.

Good luck!

Flatbed Variety

Here I was doing the only "oversized" load I hauled so far. It was quite different. Usually you think of the loads that Pat M. hauls a lot as oversized and wide loads. This puts you into a special category and you have to have permits in order to drive in certain states. Now this is where it gets interesting. Every state is different and has their own requirements. You think of these gigantic loads going down the highway with lead and chase cars having all the lights flashing, flags flying, banners banning..... Well, you know what I mean. What the permits do is inform the driver where and when he can pull that load. I am by no means an expert in this; I only pulled one load so far. But as far as what I had to do to get from A to B I can share.

Melton oversized flatbed loaded with flat steel barsMelton oversized flatbed loaded with flat steel bars

My freight was a load of flat steel. I was pulling a 53' trailer. Because of the definitions of an oversized load, my load went into that category and therefore I had to comply with any and all states that had special requirements for these loads.

Here is where my load was oversized:

It's kind of hard for me to believe that these overages would affect anyone out there on the road, but since the load was over 53' long, MO, IN, and OH required permits. The other states I drove through on this run, the banners came off and it was hammer down! MO had speed limits and time of day restrictions in certain areas. IN had special routes and speed limits. If I remember right, OH was just speed limits. This all made sense for those stereotypical oversized loads, but it sure didn't make a lot of sense for my load. But then again, I'm just a rookie.

Flatbed Variety

I guess flatbeders are good at rapping christmas gifts. smile.gif

Heh! That's what Old School said why he likes flat bedding!

Flatbed Variety

Here was another 'end of the day' load. It was a smaller plant that you drove through to be loaded. Nothing difficult. They loaded the trailer with an overhead crane which is quite common in these plants. Here in the picture, I am already secured and started tarping.

Melton flatbed trailer loaded with steel bars and strapped

On the top layer, you can see that I belly wrapped that one to make it one unit. Turned out to be a very low-profile load.

Something else that happened on this load turned out to be quite nice. You meet some really good people out there on the road. Like I said, I got to this plant late in the day. The loading, securing, and tarping took some time and it was dark by the time I was done and out of hours. It was a Friday night and what the plant does for this shift of about 20 people is cater in supper for them. This is every Friday night that they do this for their people. Well I was working away and the foreman came over and invited me to eat with them. I never expected this and wouldn't have even known that they were having a catered supper in their break room. I was very thankful and when it was time for me to leave, they told me where I could park for the night without getting into trouble with anyone. Trucking can be such an adventure!

Flatbed Variety

This trip I was hauling roofing materials. Looked like insulation to me, but then again, I'm just a trucker. I had to drive into their plant/warehouse to be loaded. We were not allowed out of the truck during loading. It was kind of narrow in there, too.

trucker in warehouse full of roofing materialstrucker in warehouse full of roofing materials

There's the door we had to drive out. trucker in warehouse full of roofing materials

Once outside we were required to use their tarping station (for safety). As you can see, we had to back into it. There were only two slots available. You can't see it in this picture, but there is a harness you put on and then a cable you attach that slides along the I-beam overhead. There were also a set of movable stairs you used to climb on top. That's how I got the tarps up there. The safety equipment is fine and appreciated. But it also slows you down considerably.

Melton flatbed loaded with roofing materials strapped at tarping station

All finished and ready to roll. Melton flatbed loaded with roofing materials strapped and tarped

This is another case of being on time. I delivered to a job site where they were actually repairing the roof. The crane was there putting the bundles on the roof. Melton flatbed loaded with roofing materials being unloaded by craneMelton flatbed loaded with roofing materials being unloaded by crane

The entire time I was at this site unsecuring, untarping, repositioning, rolling tarps, etc., I saw four other Melton trucks delivering the same stuff.

Oilfield Lay off

I don't know if you want to go that far but ND oil fields are still booming last I heard.

It's finally official!!!!

Good luck out there. Make your learning experiences a fun thing; you'll remember them easier.

good-luck.gif

Flatbed Variety

I have only tarped one load and that was because the fuel cells had hazmat stickers but were empty. It was just to save the hassle of scales.

That was cool. Field expediency is what we called something like that in the army. By the looks of the loads you have posted, you get the luxury of hitting the road as soon as your load is secured. Nice!

Flatbed Variety

Here is a load of steel that I picked up at the end of a day. I only had enough time to secure the load before they "ran me off" because they wanted to lock up and go home. There was no over night parking allowed so I drove off company property to a side street across from the plant. In the morning I finished up tarping the load.

Melton flatbed loaded with steel bars strapped and tarpedMelton flatbed loaded with steel bars strapped and tarpedMelton flatbed loaded with steel bars strapped and tarpedMelton flatbed loaded with steel bars strapped and tarped

Cell Phones and WI-FI

It's the YouTube... that eats data for lunch and a light snack.

You can say that again! I went with Verizon and secured a 30GB plan. I have used every bit of data and this month, I went over the limit for the first time.

Is working out possible on the road?

my first day of securement training with Melton today...

That is so very cool!!!

Flatbed Variety

Pat,

Yours is specialty or heavy haul, isn't it? It looks like you pull those trailers with 900 tires to spread out the weight. I'm just a plain ole vanilla skateboarder. . . It's still fun, though!

Is working out possible on the road?

Easiest way to work out on the road is to switch to flatbed!

rofl-3.gif

TransFlo Idea

With the TransFlo app, do you get some sort of confirmation code equivalent to the slip you get at the truck stops?

Flatbed Variety

2750020140814_132642_resized.jpg

How would you strap that load down?

Good question. Every flat bedder asks him/herself the same question on every load. You have to look at all the pieces in your analysis to ensure everything will be secured. This load was pretty straight forward. The barrels are four on a pallet. They are steel banded into one unit. So what I did was on the front pallet and rear pallet, two straps. All the other pallets in between got one strap. At first I though I may need V-boards, but it turned out I didn't. Naturally, I had to put strap protectors so the straps would not get cut. Also, the pallets with only one strap across them, I placed the strap to the side so that it would be directly over a barrel. That way, I was able to torque the straps pretty tight. I like the straps to sing like a banjo string when I am done.

Flatbed Variety

Here is one of my first loads that I hauled solo. It is some sort of resin oil for the drilling rigs up in the oil fields. I loaded in Mobile, AL and took it to Williston, ND. That place up there is a boom town and truly a sight to see.

flatbed trailer loaded with barrels of resin oil for drilling rigsflatbed trailer loaded and tarped with barrels of resin oil for drilling rigs in the oil fields

The first time I stopped by my CDL school was with this load. My instructors complimented me on the fine tarp job. It was actually an easy load to tarp seeing that it was perfectly symmetrical.