Comments By Logan M.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/uphill-climb.jpg avatar
  • Logan M.
  • Comments:

Cb help please

Not a problem I know almost nothing about CBs so everything helps I have mini super 8 right now was what I was told was the better wire I'll look into the fire wire and see what I can find as well. I'm still confused as to what the knows are for seeing as I paid for the cb guy to peak and tune it, all I really know is he took the plate off tinkered with the internal a little put it on a meter a couple of times, walked outside put the antenna on the truck, turned the screw on top a couple times hooked it up to set swr and when it was 1:1 I believe he said he took it off and said it was good to go lol

Cb help please

Will do any idea how far out it'll go with that antenna and radio?

Cb help please

So I have a cobra 29 the digital one not the classic, I had it peaked and tuned with a 5' firestick antenna that has also been tuned.

Now my question is how do you set the squelch and rf gain? Also since the antenna has been tuned and so has the radio what's the point of the swr/cal knob on the radio?

I really should asked the guy at the cb shop but it didn't really cross my mind at the time.

Posted:  4 years ago

How long would you wait?

I'm in a lightweight truck at prime. It's not that bad honestly but my fiance wants to ride with me and I don't see it working in a lightweight. I told my FM this and he gave me a speech about losing money I told him I understand this but would like to make the switch. He said ok. Now I haven't heard anything else about this since. I don't want to stir the pot too much but I also don't want to be drug around. How long should I wait before asking if there's any eta on when thay might be? He keeps me rolling good and I don't have many complaints so Im trying to be polite about it. Thanks in advance.

Prime Regional

You can run a dedicated account with prime with no experience. I ran general mills, (murfreesboro to kalamazoo, reed city to murfreesboro) Right after upgrading, unless something has changed recently.

Or also maybe to ask for it and have it promised to you, you need the experience? I'm no expert only speaking from my experiene.

I agree with the walmart runs I did a few out of lewiston, run all night deliver to the stores, then got the joy of rush hour each morning to get back and go to sleep lol. I also found out the way they pay is a little different and I didn't care too much for it. Not bad for a change once in a while though lol

Prime Regional

Olney il has a regional, northeast dedicated for reefer ( I believe) lewiston maine, murfreesboro tn to mi for general mills, there's something out of Kansas City or that area as well that I know of, and also a fl to nj Tropicana run that has a few dedicated guys.

Not sure what else we have.

Posted:  4 years ago

What to expect in years to come?

Thanks for the replies yall, I would love to make trucking my career and was curious as to what else is out there. I did so much research a few months ago when I first started and almost none on what to do in the future lol

Backing up

Honestly for me jersey is what improved my backing tremendously lol

Yes it sucks yes it's embarrassing sometimes.

But you know what rookie to rookie everyone has been where we are at some point.

If you can get in the hole without hitting anything everything is fine. You'll learn something everytime you mess up. Heck experienced drivers mess up just as much as rookies the difference is they recognize it sooner and correct so it looks like they did it great right off the bat.

And believe me a few people may laugh if you take a long time but to most you are far from their focus.

Good luck and you'll get it sooner or later!

I hit a dog tonight

I hit a deer last week right outside st. Louis big buck too almost missed him but the poor fellow freaked and try to turn and go back which put him in front of my truck. Jacked the deer guard and a piece of the bumper, broke the on guard for the cruise.

Anyways prime had me fill out an accident report call safety where they asked me if I slammed on the brakes or swerved did I damage the freight, is the truck drivable etc etc.

They told me its an act of God, and not to worry about it they would rather me hit it then get hurt trying to dodge it.

I have no clue how it would show up on my record I'm not even sure how to look but going on what they told me and their attitude its no big deal to them.

Posted:  4 years ago

What to expect in years to come?

I love trucking, I enjoy my job and my paychecks. Its definitely not boring that's to say the least.

So I was thinking about future opportunities, it would be down the road a ways at least another 6-9 months but I was wondering what kind of opportunities are out there?

I've seen a lot of job postings but I was wondering are there regional companies that pay drivers say 50 cpm ?

This is just food for thought for me I'm curious.

I know local gigs open up with experience and such, but I was just wondering whats a normal next step so to speak if there is a normal.

Never a dull moment!

I'm 3 hours from home can't deliver until the am lol asked if I could deliver early they said sure no problem but it is a 1075$ charge for after hours I told them I'd see them in the morning lol.

That deer definitely hit me! He almost missed though he was running across the road and saw me and turned around to go back and that's when I got him, bent my deer guard to about an inch away from my hood and jacked the bumper up but other than nothing major.

And I feel your pain I didn't know that our road assist department wouldn't forward everything to safety so I get a message this morning saying to pull over as soon as it's safe and call safety oops!

Never a dull moment!

So I'm on my way for hometime after being put 8 weeks and today was def. A interesting day.

I had some electrical problems with the truck which cut all power to the truck and cut the engine while climbing monteagle went down at 10 mph so I'd be able to stop safely if it happened again going down, the wonderful people at dispatch told that can happen with freightliners it's a wore that goes bad if it happens again they would suggest pulling over LOL

Also I hit a deer at 4am as well so there goes my goal of not hitting anything.

Never a dull moment in trucking! Lol

Drive safe everyone, shiny side up!

Team drivers

Me personally I don't suggest teaming consistent miles are a little easier to get but I've average the same bring home pay as a few guys I know who team with the same company I drive for.

The math comes out to this with my company it's .44 cpm spit with a bonus of .10 to the truck over 3500 miles plus fuel bonus.

I make 44.5 cpm solo plus fuel bonus and average roughly 2600-3300 miles a week with the lowest being 1500( I was in the shop for 2 days)

So for me unless I average a consistent 6k miles a week or more which running hard it's not worth it to ME to have to share the space be stuck with the same person for long, working out hometime etc.

Now that's just my opinion and my company so do your research and look into it, if you want the company and don't think it would get old it may be worth it to you.

As far as finding someone to team with goes idk about western I know some companies like us express have a matching program where you can talk and meet people before trying to team with them. Just be very careful who you choose to ride with you pit your safety and part of your paycheck in their hands

Team drivers

I'm looking to start cdl training at western express want to team with another western express to team drive how can I find a god team driver any suggestions would b greatly appreciated

May I ask why you are interested in teaming?

Posted:  4 years ago

Sherwood foods in atlanta?

Hey figured I'd see if anyone on here might know what time check in starts?

I tried calling no answer on the phone or radio, main reason I'm asking is it says you can park on the left side of the road in here which also happens to be the delivery lanes lol so I was wondering if any of you guys are familiar with the place.

Thanks in advance

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

How do you determine "safe speed" for going downhill?

I was taught to go downhill in one gear lower than it took to go uphill. So if you climbed it in 6th, you descend in 5th. This formula takes into account load weight and is a good starting point for a new driver.

Phil

I always had a problem with this one because some are only grades on one side, there are a lot like this I sort of generalize this farther by remember what you did on an equal grad with roughly the same weight ie. If you went down a 6% last week with 30k in the box remember roughly what speed you went. The first mountains you go through you should be with a trainer who will guide you down. Eventually you will be able to feel it out , and be more comfortable with your guesses.

Also when in doubt drop a gear, or 2 or 3 it's way easier to go up a gear than down, or to crawl down a long hill than try to slow her down half way down.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Forst time Prime Inc. DRIVERS ANNUAL.PAY

Well I'm still new so hard for me to give you a full year also everyone is different but I bring home after taxes and $80 a week taken out for the chains and all that between 875 (lowest) and 1300, in a lightweight truck hope this helps

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Tips for hopefuls about choosing a company

Thanks brett and OS, the people on here have helped me a lot from the high road program to the forum for advice, I wanted to do my part and try help some as well. I'm glad you guys like it

How do you determine "safe speed" for going downhill?

This is going to get you many different opinions.

I'll say this the safe speed is whatever speed you know you can make it down safely at.

If that's 30mph so be it, if it's 20 fine as long as you make it down safely. Go as slow as you want if you're going to slow way down hit the 4 ways and cruise to the bottom.

A lot of folks on here use the saying you can down too slow as many times as you want you can only go to fast once.

Just got a call from Prime!

I'll be honest I didn't read all the replies vut I thought I should tell you starting pay went up another 1.5 cpm it's now .445cpm in a lightweight.