Comments By Jessica A-M

https://i.imgur.com/KTznkaj.jpg avatar

Trying Not to Be the BBQ Sauce Guy

Least of your worries. The only one controlling your food is you. Do bring extra stuff in case you get hungry but, don't sweat it. I've got things I can't or don't eat. I just don't make a big deal about it and if I'm served it, I eat around what I can. Pretty easy. If I don't get enough to eat I just snack on something later.

Watch out for this at your next DOT physical

Just had mine done as well and was similar to what all is listed here. They also did a vision test as well.

I knew I was forgetting something. They also had vision listed for this test. And they were recommended to me by a local hazmat driver and he said they handled his whole company which is decently large.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Is Winter driving on your mind?

This is one of the reasons I'm trying to go when I am for training. My only experience driving in icy conditions was when I was rolling (no brake, no gas) my Nissan Sentra down the street and fishtailing the whole way while I have other drivers just flying and sliding around me on the icy roads. So, I am hoping to get at least some inclement driving with a trainer in before I'm running free.

Watch out for this at your next DOT physical

I would say get your physical from a regular doctor or a company locally that usually handles large company account DOT physicals. The basic exam you got isn't rigorous. It's pretty normal. Before I chose my company I was quoted $100 for a physical from a local place that handles them for many companies in the area. They said they would do the whisper test for hearing, blood pressure, medication questions, apnea questions, fitness questions. They said this was a pretty basic exam for them.

Cooking bacon in a truck

I wonder if I could do this with the vegetarian form of bacon....they call them "Stripples." Weird name...weird taste. TPC, I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through the delicious smell...of trapped bacon. Drive on by anytime! :)

Boca vegetarian sausage links (not the breakfast links) smell and taste awesome. I don't eat soy anymore but, sometimes I'll crave them.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

CDL training abbreviations to remember

This is specific to Prime but it's got the abbreviations as well. Daniel's Pretrip of Epic

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Got the details for my new run.

Congratulations on the changes. I feel like the same runs would get boring but, for people who like home time that's great.

You people don't get it

Do truck drivers qualify as people now?

Truckers Advocacy Groups

It's not that I'd make a good carrier lobbyist, it's that I have a lot of experience with corporate BS. No matter the industry, BS is a standard at any corporation. There's a lot of cover your backside involved and I'm well versed in doing so. If I don't have to sign paperwork for a job then I won't be taking that job because without paperwork signed by both parties and dated, I have no CYA. If someone won't email and will only talk on the phone, no CYA. I'm used to digging into the manure and finding the truth is all.

Truckers Advocacy Groups

What it really sounds like you need to do is lobby for yourself and read the fine print. Job sucks? Company sucks? Find a new company or find a new industry to work in.

When we take this job we should already have done research. I know what type of pay to expect, and I know the job is going to be hard. I know what fees are due and when, how my pay deductions will work and for what equipment, when I'm eligible to get paid during training, that getting sent home may mean paying for my own bus ticket back, I've read all the fine print backwards and forwards. I get every answer from my recruiter in writing and I ask anything I can come up with.

Just because it's paid training doesn't mean the pay starts from day one or even week one or month one.

Them having you purchase required work items insures that you have them. If you don't have them and something happens they can prove you did have them at one point.

Any numbers estimates are rarely based on the average drivers. They are generally based on the averages of top performers because it looks more desirable. And, promises on how long it's going to take you to drive through and deliver in NYC are useless. They don't know the traffic and construction reports everyday of the week, they aren't psychic. Maybe they've had drivers that could do it in that time or maybe just one driver that could back in 1990. I doubt you asked what their estimate was based on.

This sounds like a problem with a smaller company that is potentially experiencing financial issues. Not that it makes it okay but, it's a red flag.

Can't comment on the performance bonus.

Tuition reimbursement from any place rarely if ever covers anything out of pocket. It's right in the name, tuition reimbursement. It's meant to reimburse for a tuition charge from a school and nothing more unless stated otherwise.

Yes. The pay hasn't changed much in about 30 years and yeah that sucks. This is where a strong advocacy group would be nice.

Anti idling laws are there for a reason but yes, APUs required would be nice too.

Most of this boiled down to not enough research and it's an unfortunate situation. Time to find a new company? Probably.

Passed my CDL Permit test....now off to Roehl

Good job on that permit test and good luck with school. Definitely keep us updated. I agree, the high road training program is amazing.

Getting the jitters

I leave next Friday for Prime. You want jitters, I've got enough for the whole forum. I'm also a security guard and have been for the last 4 years just about. You'll be fine. Tanker sounded fun too after I get some experience but I'm going reefer first.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

I DID IT!!!! OFFICIALLY A COMPANY DRIVER!!!

Scream it from the truck hood! You did great! I'm really proud of you and can't wait to be yelling about it myself. Good job and keep us updated.

I got a truck!!!!!

Awesome! There's a link when you go to make a post that says Photo. Just upload your pic somewhere and grab the link.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

I think formatting all the pictures and getting good ones was the biggest piece. A labor of love!

Contracts

I agree that none of these companies are banks. You commit to going to their school, you might as well commit to completing your year with them as well. I personally wouldn't want to train, switch, mess up, and be a leper to the trucking industry after that. You research, commit, complete. Then again, I can put up with a lot of BS and have a world of patience, maybe able to put up with too much BS. I can see how someone would want to quit the minute waters start to look rough when, look over at these other calm sparkling clear waters. But, all grass is different shades of green and all water eventually becomes calm again if you ride it out.

Generally, if "terminated with cause" an employee must complete any financial obligations unless forgiven these obligations by the company. This applies to most companies so I doubt trucking is different.

Contracts

Brett, I think Tazzy's situation might be different. It depends on Swift's contract.

An example from my current job contract. In the professional security business with national large security companies, non compete clauses are popular. My last company and my current company had non compete clauses. The clause was even on a separate page all its own detailing that I can only perform security for X company and I had to sign and date it. But, I've also worked for two smaller security companies and they didn't have those clauses. Size doesn't matter in concerns with CRST and Swift for trucking but, it sounds like Swift doesn't have one.

I assume CRST has one because it's either stay and work or you're screwed until you pay, assuring that the driver can't get a second job or a different job as long as they owe CRST something or work for CRST. This way it's more desirable to complete the obligation for CRST. I assume once the owed amount is paid, the contract would be complete.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

I just turned this into a hard copy for study. I managed to get it down to 22 double sided pages. Sheesh.

Cooking bacon in a truck

Why not get the pre-cooked bacon you can toss in the microwave? I eat it all the time and it's quick, 30sec's and wont smell up the truck. Plus it would be a lot safer. They also make pre-cooked sausage you can pick up for 1.00 for a package of 8.

Safety? Did you pretrip that microwave before you used it?

Contracts

thanks for the reply. I was sent home from an orientation with Swift on the second day and was told I was under contract with another company (crst) from 2012! I was thinking what does that have to do with anything. Then I was told that I was basically "owned" by crst due to this unfulfilled contract and that that crst wouldn't release me. Made no sense so instead of push the issue, I just left. Wouldn't wanna be part of a company that operates like that anyway. And I use to wonder why Swift gets a bad rap. Now I see.

Companies get a bad rap from people who want to blame the company for their problems like you've done here.

When you got the contract for CRST and signed it, there was a "non compete clause until contractual obligations are completed" in that contract. In the contract you signed. No trucking company is going to hire you with that in there unless they are too underfunded or lax in their background research. And Swift didn't force you to sign it.

Call CRST, you've probably gotten collection letters by now if you never paid, and ask how you can get released from the contract.