Comments By Jessica A-M

https://i.imgur.com/KTznkaj.jpg avatar

New starting pay at prime

That's awesome. Thanks for the update. The more I get ready to go and read about Prime, the happier I am with my decision in this company.

Cooking bacon in a truck

Who wouldn't want to smell bacon all day? Yum! Grease can go up with steam and smoke in such small amounts that you can't fathom it but, it's sticks to everything hence bacon truck. There's an air freshener brand called pure citrus (all it is is citrus oils and no chemical bs) that'll take the smell out if it still lingers but, definitely cook outside. Fresh air and bacon? Yes please.

All forms of ID stolen

Recruiter says temp ID and no SSC is a go and I have it in writing. I can't believe how much losing a wallet effects.

Best Lease purchase companies?

Out of curiosity, why did you decide on lease?

I couldn't do it myself. I'll be making $700/week just in training. Maybe 550-600ish after taxes. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

All forms of ID stolen

I haven't figured out how to edit quotes on this one. Ah well.

One more thing, have you reported it stolen? They told me when mine was stolen years ago to write down your DL # & case # on a sheet of paper because if you get pulled over and they ask you for your license, you'll go blank on the number.

You put your reply after the very last line you're quoting. I tried to report it but they said I need ID to verify my identity. I'm going to DMV today and getting my temp license since I have the docs for that and SS should take the temp. I contacted my recruiter via email. And my address is changed for USPS. What a terrible situation. Maybe they'll have better luck using my identity than I do.

All forms of ID stolen

Well, sometimes life gives you lemons and then rubs them in your eyes. My wallet got taken from a grocery store yesterday and hasn't been returned. My SSC was in the wallet for safe keeping because I'm moving in a mere 2 days. You keep a wallet on you for 6 years and it gets stolen 2 days before a move to a different city and a change in job. And yes, I've overturned everything including all my packing and the car looking for the wallet.

Alright, I'll quit complaining, my questions now are does Prime require a SSC and plastic license (not the paper temp they print)?

Should I postpone schooling now while I work on getting my documents replaced? Original schooling date was September 8th.

Thanks guys and gals.

Newbie with a couple of questions..

For 2, they use W-2s. It should be a red flag if a company doesn't pay on W-2. 3, I'm not sure how common it is or not but it's what I'm doing. Car goes to my mom and I have a storage unit. Besides my phone and some debt I'm paying on, I'm getting rid of everything else. For home time I plan to take time off in various places, see things, go to friends in other states.

4, it's called slip seating and it depends on the company and the amount of time off usually.

There's one problem here, you may not be able to get a trucking job due to going to Syria. I suppose it would probably depend on the length away and such but, traveling close to ISIS, spending time there, and coming back and asking for a job that provides access to a large deadly vehicle might send up some serious red flags. Is what you're going to do part of some USA charity, ministry, or medical effort? Are you being sent by the military? If it's just you going on your own volition, you might see problems on return.

I wish you good luck in Syria and a safe return.

What is a good trucking company for CDL training?

Just so you know, you don't have to find somewhere in Missouri only. You can train in other states with other companies. I chose Prime myself and I'm coming from Oregon. My friend chose Swift and he's going from Oregon to Idaho. As far as the one year is concerned, you could leave the company right after you have your CDL A. But, that's a terrible idea. It's recommended to stay at your first company for a year at least because it will open a ton of doors. And, the company willing to take you on after training probably expects you to have some problems and they'll be more lenient. So, you want them to keep you at least a year.

Here are some links to check out to get going.

Company-Sponsored Training

How To Choose A Company

High Road Training Program

Truck Driver's Career Guide

Brett's Book

Need job immediately

You didn't say you had a CDL already. Do you also have experience with that CDL or did you just graduate school?

In that case, Apply For Truck Driving Jobs. That lets you put in a bunch of apps at once. I'm still not sure which companies specifically start orientation in the middle of the week but it's worth a shot anyways.

Need job immediately

Doubtful since the majority of orientations I see start on Mondays, and since we're already almost into Wednesday they may be full for next Monday but it's worth a shot.

Company-Sponsored Training

Just look there, pick companies that you're interested in and apply.

While you wait you may want to get a jump on the High Road Training Program

Good luck.

18-year-old female... Is there hope?

I've seen it many places, not just a few drivers who got angry. Not being gullible just paying attention.

That, and it should take longer than 2 or 3 weeks to learn to drive one of these things. I don't agree with the CDL-mill schools tossing out students left and right. I also don't agree with sending new CDL grads with trainers who have only been driving a year or two. That's why I'd just rather not go through a large company school.

It does take longer than 2-3 weeks to learn to drive one of these things. That's why the better larger companies have a longer training and orientation period for drivers coming from other schools. Generally requiring at least a team driving environment for a certain number of hours or miles. The school I'm headed to through Prime is going to take me 3 weeks with my permit and then 2-3 months (40k) miles with my license before I can get to upgrade to solo.

At 17 it seems like you've made up your mind about what you really believe this industry is about and that the big companies are bad (down with the man!) based on driver reviews. We've got drivers from a lot of the big companies here that absolutely make it just fine because they carry themselves like professionals, they treat the people they deal with with respect, and most importantly, they keep a fantastic attitude and keep on trucking. They are the ones making the miles and the money while the disgruntled drivers sit on their backsides at truck stops because the man is keeping them down. Really, it's them keeping themselves down. So, they have so much free time that they can go online and complain about their horrible terrible no good very bad mega trucking company that treats them like a slave. What they don't write is how they made demands to their DM about their miles, got into a fight with their DM, kept turning down short loads because short loads weren't good enough for them (in actuality they were probably getting closer to longer loads.), mistreated someone in shipping or receiving, pulled in late one too many times.

People are more likely to leave a bad review when they feel like they've been wronged than to leave a good review. Usually because they don't think about reviewing because they have nothing to complain about.

Beyond all that. I'll address the female part. Grow a thick skin. People will make comments, no matter the profession. And, don't let yourself be the type that "gets taken advantage of." Be confident. I've been a graveyard security guard for 4 years and you best believe no idiot in their right mind messes with me. Firm voice, firm stance, and people know I mean business but that doesn't mean I'm a you know what. It just means I put myself on the same level as someone I'm speaking with.

You can't go OTR when you can only drive in one state. I'm not sure how LTL is run, it sounds like LTL is interstate too. Here is another thread regarding a young driver to take a look at. Some good advice even it's an older thread.

All I can say is good luck, you'll need it.

Upgrade to solo driver at prime

Awesome! All that work and you're so close to finished. Good job.

First week in the books- Prime Inc TNT

4. Learned a wealth of knowledge from my trainers. He is a owner-op at prime with 7 trucks under him

Don't say that too loud, some folks around here say that's just not possible.

Congratulations! Sounds like you are doing great and enjoying it!

Oh Larry. Can't you just be happy for Carl without inserting your own assumptions and negative attitudes? If Carl said he was going to go O/O because his trainer is O/O , then I'd expect he'd be warned about the dangers of doing business in an industry he's just gotten started in.

Errol is right, keep that excitement. I loved reading this post and can't wait for more from Carl. It gets me excited for my own adventure.

Leaving tomorrow for Prime orientation and training.

So, my excellent recruiter at Prime answered my question a few minutes after I sent the email asking about the lifting requirements. Refrigerated (division I'm going into) has a lifting requirement around 60+. If you can't pass the upward lifting weights then you just don't qualify for flatbed and possibly tankers.

This doesn't mean I won't try my damndest to get all of the weight moved, but at least I won't be sent home just because I wouldn't hack it for flatbed.

First week in the books- Prime Inc TNT

Get a dash cam and start a YouTube page that is just about cars cutting off trucks. People love watching idiots.

That sounds like an awesome start. A place that's like Wal-Mart for truckers? That's amazing. One of the big reasons I want into this is to see stuff, even if it's trucker Wal-Mart.

Did you end up driving in NY yourself?

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Leaving tomorrow for Prime orientation and training.

I'm guessing the guys you saw that can't lift it went home huh?

Helpful advice?

I am not a driver yet but I'll just add a little of what I've learned. First, Prime has some of the higher pay in the big companies for new drivers. They also have a $1,500 school reimbursement though I'm not sure of the qualifications. They also have APUs.

One of the big reasons I'm choosing them personally (beyond the obvious) is they have a longer training time and they start paying during training. I'm not exactly rich so I'm going on with very little to spare and I am wanting to train longer. Since you're coming from a school, it'll be different for you.

As far as divisions, I've read that flatbed waits the least at shippers and receivers and that reefer probably waits the most. I don't know if that's really always the case but it's what I've come across.

Good luck on your decisions!

Leaving tomorrow for Prime orientation and training.

Do you mean they have you lift the 90# tarp? Or do you think it's lighter? I think I can get the 80# crate up. Using Old School's tarp lifting idea I might be able to do 90# with the tarp but I'm a little worried now. My strength is in my legs, not my arms.

Time for an owner-operator update

Because no one can be a winner without going O/O? That's part of the problem. That's how recruiters entice people into being lease ops or how someone becomes an O/O and doesn't make it. "You can be a company driver or you can be a winner." Implying that company drivers aren't winners. Because I guess being able to safely navigate the states in a mobile apartment in all conditions doesn't make someone a winner. I guess Old School and Brett aren't winners because they know the trucking business well enough to not want to take the high risks that come with your business being entirely based on a machine that is disposable.

Congratulations that Steve is taking those risks and "winning" at it. But, Old School is successful and a "winner" too considering the fact that he can and does drive successfully.

I don't read, "Don't go O/O or lease" from any of Brett's or OS's warnings. I read them as a plea to please learn the industry before making a decision with that much risk. I read them as a plea with O/Os and Lease/Ops to please be more transparent instead of it sounding like they are making bank without the risk.

Time for an owner-operator update

I think the point trying to be made by people here is you made a blanket earnings statement. Even I, a firmly wanting to be company driver but still a newbie, said, "Wow!" Now, imagine if I had said wow and then decided, screw company I'm going to go do what Steve does and be rich because Steve says he makes 5-6 times more than what I will! I'd invariably fall on my face because I have none of the experience.so.

You would fail because you didn't do your due diligence, not because of anything Steve said.

I never said Steve would cause the failure. But, statements like that are what lead people to think that they can mirror the success. Usually hot blooded youple that want to stick it to the man. And, this forum has a major percentage of new people looking into the industry. The truth is that Steve isn't making 5-6 times more than company. The truth is that Steve is making $500/week because he's a responsible business owner that makes sure he has plenty of cushion in place for his business.