Profile For JakeBreak

JakeBreak's Info

Butler, PA

Rookie Solo Driver

7 years, 7 months ago

JakeBreak's Bio

Im 28 and been planning to be a trucker since i was 18. That was when i found out that i couldnt get a job til i was 21. Life went on and i wish i would have found this site about 5 years ago when i tried again but didnt have the funds. Now im 28 and finally in school and i have accepted a prehire from roehl and as soon as i get my cdl i will sign on with them.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Layover pay Detention pay Stop off pay Loading, unloading, and pallet jack pay

I personally don’t get caught up in any of those terms. I don’t think I get any of those in my pay either. I turn in my time sheet every week and get paid very well per load. That’s all I worry about.

For us OTR drivers, it's not so cut and dry, especially those of us hauling reefer.

Here's a knowledge nugget for you since you're so new to both this site and to truck driving, Ryan.

Pay attention to this part:

Some local and regional drivers, like Bird One, actually drove OTR prior to their current gig.

Your foolish responses continue to make many of us shake our heads behind the scenes, Ryan.

100 percent agree with packrat. Did reefer OTR for 2 years, 3 years local and 2 more OTR and really it doesn't matter. I make really good money and I don't get any of the accessory pay. I turn my bills in every load and I make what I make. I'm happy with it and like I said I make good money. My first 2 years I spent at roehl and they had all the extra pay stuff, didn't really apply, except detention pay. When I went local I was hourly just turned in my timesheet every week. Went back OTR and this company doesn't have that stuff and I make more than I did before.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Question - potential new trucker here

The only advantage I have seen to having a terminal near your house is it is easier for a company to get you home. If you have obligations that require you to be home for a certain period of time, it is usually easier on the company if there is a terminal or yard close by. If you can get home whenever or have easily changed plans for your hometime then it becomes less important. For example im divorced and have a son, I get my visitation when I am on hometime. If I come home during the week he still has to go to school during the day and I am responsible for transportation. So I schedule my hometime for the weekends. If I get home late it impacts the amount of time I get to spend with him. So I am not as flexible as someone else who even though they would like to be home on Friday, it isn't a huge deal if they get home Saturday morning instead.

Posted:  1 month ago

Have things been slow for the rest of you?

Things have been pretty slow here. I had to wait a day n a half to get my load home for hometime. They gave me an extra day of hometime, and since I've been back while I haven't been waiting for loads, the loads I've been getting have loads of time on them. 3 days for a 600 mile run. Or 2 days for a 500. I was gonna ask here a few days ago if it was slow for everyone else or just my company lol

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Asking if hit another driver

The only way I would ask is if I wasn't sure. That's honestly one of my biggest worries out here is that one day I'll bump a truck, or a trailer and not realize it and get charged with leaving the scene of an accident. If you are sure you didn't hit it, then don't worry about it.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucks stop help

While I agree the NE isn't truck friendly, I never thought it was as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The only thing I don't like about it is you need to run either overnight or be ready to shut down by 3 in the afternoon to have a spot.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Having Fun With Your Logs

Another thing to consider when choosing to run recaps versus reset, is that load planners and dispatchers also have to be on board to maximize your time. As I said my week generally starts Monday when I deliver my "weekend" load from the Friday before. How I run during the week doesn't matter, short loads or long loads, until I get to Thursday or Friday. That's when load planners will start looking for either a "day run" to set me up for my "weekend load" dispatched on Friday or if there is a really long load I'll sometimes get my weekend on Thursday.

Honestly this is probably the biggest roadblock for most drivers. If the planners or your dispatch aren't good at thier jobs, it will impact your miles. I've been with 4 different dispatchers over my 2 years at this company and there is a huge difference between one that is just calling it in vs one who is trying to get the best miles for thier drivers. If it was up to me I would reset every week and run nights, because that is what works best for me. Load planners have trouble planning for guys that run nights and if your dispatcher is in coast mode then you get loads where you have 24hrs of waiting to deliver.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

My new gig

I can definitely relate about sleeping better on the truck and being home more exhausting than being on the road. The old lady usually has a ton of stuff for me to do and hen pecks me to death when I get in.

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one with that problem lol. I like being home with the family, but it's nice being out on the road too. When I'm out I can focus on working n making money when I go home I gotta focus on spending time with everyone while trying to get everything done that she assigned me.

Posted:  6 months, 4 weeks ago

Nice fat 2400 mile load and a challenging run that I felt good about completing.

Lol my longest run ever beats that by 1 mile lol. Phoenix AZ, to Vineland NJ. 2,384 miles. That's cool that your company will fly you home for hometime. Mine would either want me to reschedule my hometime or give the load to someone else.

Posted:  7 months ago

Driving Mountain Grades with an auto trans

Autos aren't too bad in the mountains. If you are running your Jake's then it won't upshift until you apply pedal again. You will want to learn where your optimal shift points for maintaining speed on a grade vs the economy shift points most companies use. And most importantly learn how to lock it in manual mode.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Why did you get started in trucking, and what were your biggest concerns?

I started driving because I wanted a career I could support a family on. I was engaged to be married in a year and I was tired of the dead end jobs that were all that was available in my town. I had always wanted to be a driver, I had even tried when I turned 18, but no one would train me because I needed to be 21. Finally got started at 28 and looking back im glad I started that late because I wasn't mature enough to do this job at 21.

As for things I worried about were mainly wether or not I could do it. I had family at home that I had to make sure we're going to be ok with me being gone. I had screwed up just about every decent job I had ever had, hence my maturity comment. Cost was a minor concern, even though I had joined here and knew about the company sponsored training, I still didn't trust it. I didn't know the industry as well as I thought and had some hesitation about signing up with a company.

Now I've been driving for about 7 years, it doesn't feel that long most of the time lol. I've done OTR and local. Been married and divorced. Came back OTR about 2 years ago now and love it even more than I did the first time.

Posted:  8 months ago

Did my first 5th wheel slide today

So how did you do it lol? I have never had a truck with a sliding 5th wheel but I did cover it in school and there's a couple threads on here with some tips.

Posted:  8 months ago

Legalization of the "Devil's Weed"

I agree that it won't be legal for drivers anytime soon. Probably not til long after we are all gone. But I will say I agree with banks on this. I would love to see a more accurate test than the current one, because that is the only way I see the current regulations easing up would be if there was a test to accurately determine the last time it was used. If they can make one and you can prove the last time you smoked was on your hometime, then even the insurance companies would have a hard time disputing it.

Posted:  8 months ago

Concerned newbie

Is that short cab yours to use all the time or are you having to turn it in at the end of the day and then someone else can drive it

Laura

This is important to know. If you have a small cab, but you gonna stay in it, you can invest in a lunchbox cooker and a cooler. Those should be pretty good to keep you going for awhile. You don't need a ton of space for cooking stuff.

Posted:  8 months ago

The Life, Death, and Resurrection Of My Truck Driving Career

I remember reading this when it was first posted. And to this day it is a sobering reminder of how bad things can go. I also keep the rule of 2s in my mind, because it is pretty accurate.

Posted:  8 months ago

16 year olds driving big rigs

I agree with most on here. 16 is perfect to start on a farm or private property to drive. Mainly for the reasons Anne mentioned. Kids can master the mechanics and be physically able to do it, but thier brains just haven't matured enough for the mental aspects. All of the split second decisions and preparation for the long stretchs of boredom. I know for a fact that if I had the opportunity, regardless of the fact I have always wanted to be a driver, that I would have screwed up and lost my cdl, if I had started before I was 25.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Self driving Semis

I was just thinking today, this whole self driving truck thing reminds me of the CNG trucks. Back then everyone was saying CNG was the way to go and soon all the trucks would be powered by CNG. They got enough people interested that they got some stations put in, and even got a couple fleets to buy some trucks. Those fleets don't run those trucks very often anymore and I think they got rid of most of them. I think this self driving thing will be the same way. People are all hyped up for it and when a couple fleets actually try it they will find its more trouble than it's worth and abandon it.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Starlink Roaming (Internet Service)

I definitely looked at it and honestly until they can get it settled down to where we can use it mobile I won't buy into it. I did think about using it at home, because we have crappy internet there too though so I am definitely interested in the speeds people are actually getting vs what they are claiming.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Carrier Safety Incentives

My company does it monthly, it's a lot nicer to know that if you screw up it's only going to effect you for a month rather than a whole quarter. They track HOS compliance, productivity, and safety.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Understanding Personal Conveyance

There have been 2 times that I have used PC for parking. The first was when I parked in a no parking area at a pilot bc i wrongly assumed that reserving myself a spot online before I got there would guarantee me a spot. I was wrong and they wouldn't kick a guy out that didn't pay so I could park. The spot across the road had a spot but I had less than a min left on my clock. So I parked in the no parking area so the cop that was there because someone backed into someone else would ask me to move. Surprisingly it worked out. And I learned to never reserve parking at that pilot.

The second time was actually recently. Running recaps I tend to run down my time and this time was no different I only had 6 mins left on my clock when I came to the rest area surprise. Wyoming closed it, so I had to backtrack to the gas station down the road about 6 miles back. I feel pretty confident that in either situation I could show an enforcement officer that I wasn't advancing the load. The first I moved across the street and the second I actually backtracked 6 miles away from the direction I was heading.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Supernatural or Spooky encounters on the Road

Well, last night I passed a cattle hauler AND a FedEx driver in Utah on the flat and I was only going 65 mph in a 75 mph zone!

Lies. You can't claim that without some dashcam footage to back it up lol.

The creepiest thing that I have ever seen was one night in Washington I had just picked up a load of apples and I was on some state routes to get back to the interstate, I kept seeing these small animals darting across the road. I assume they were mice or something and then out of nowhere this giant shadow flew out of the trees and snatched one off the road in front of me. I honestly didn't know owls wingspans were that big lol