Comments By JakeBreak

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/130.jpg avatar
  • JakeBreak
  • Comments:

Air tank/s draining...

It is my understanding that with most trucks it's not as important as it used to be. I still bleed mine off every 2 or 3 days especially in the spring and fall. Your maint dept should be able to tell you how to do it on your truck. It is still important to know how to do it even if you never do it.

Swift Orientation Monday

One more thing, I wondered if Swift had a policy against using hands free devices while driving. (Bluetooth headsets) obviously I can't use my phone but was going to pick up a headset if I'm allowed to use it. Didn't want to waste the money if they're not permitted.

Not sure about Swifts policy on it, I know roehl doesn't allow it. Personally I'd say give it a month before you really worry about it, regardless of policy. There is so much to pay attention to I would focus on that and getting the "muscle memory" down before you start talking and driving.

Weekend dispatch

First take the load they gave you as long as you can deliver it on time. Then later in the week talk to your regular dispatcher about it. Sometimes it could be a slow freight area, or it could be an internal problem. I had to wait an hour yesterday to get the dispatch information for the load I was planned on because of a computer glitch.

And consider it's weekend dispatch. Lots of times the night and weekend shift I'd the newest and most inexperienced of all the dispachers.

Pta

Really depends on the context. It could mean projected time of arrival or projected time of availability. My dispatch only uses it for availability.

What's in your sleeper?

Mine is pretty bare bones right now, I have 1 cuboard with some canned food and cooking supplies like foil and the foil pans for the lunchbox. I have a lunchbox cooker, a laptop, a duffel bag of clothes, a cooler, and a case n a half of water lol. When I cleaned it out last weekend I had enough grocery bags and boxes to fill up the back of my wife's car.

Hey everyone

I remember you also. Glad you're doing well. How about posting all the things you like with Roehl. That would help many. Good luck in your new endevor, hope all goes well.

Well as far as things I like now vs when I first started are pretty different. Right now it's pay, hometime, and that they don't push you to train or lease. When I first started I liked some of the things I find annoying now, like the set routing and unchangeable fuel stops for example.

The top 3 reasons I'm quitting are 1 the wife wants me home more, there's no way to change or fix that lol so that's the main reason. 2 I don't like inward facing cameras. 3 with only being allowed to have a 12v cooler I'm finding it hard to keep vegetables from spoiling on me which with the new diet I found that works good I need veggies. My Coleman cooler works good for most things but my veggies go bad in like 3 days and with me pushing the limits like I do its hard to stop every 3 days to get fresh vegetables.

Hey everyone

Lol well you never know. I'm still driving for roehl for another week and then I'm switching to local. The wife wants me home more and to be honest I burn myself out too much on the road. I've been running 2800-3000 miles a week for the past 8 9 months and it's just rough. I'm hoping with a local job where I don't flip flop from night to day and back every week I'll be better rested and can enjoy my time off. That said I still love the open road and will probably go back when the wife gets tired of me lol

Hey everyone

Hey everyone, not sure if anyone will remember me or not, but I wanted to let yall know I'm back :) I've been putting all the information I've taken in from the site here and putting it to use and it has worked out really well. I've been on the road 2 years now, the past 1 year and 6 months accident free. I'm finally ready to slow down and live life a little so I decided to come back n see if my experiences can help anyone.

Radios, forklifts questions.

1. No one is going to train you on cb operation. Basically you gotta figure it out on your own. As far as handles go you basically pick your own. You can pick up a cb that has Bluetooth connection but realistically it's just not worth it. You won't be using it enough to warrant the extra expense.

2. Local drivers will usually get a hand jack some places will load the truck with a forklift but normally it'll just be picking up a couple pallets with a hand jack n putting them in the trailer.

I Hit a bridge

I agree with Ryan and shiva. 99 percent of the time we are 100 percent responsible for everything that happens. But there are situations where a company will charge you with a preventable where if the others (construction companies, county city govts) had done what they were supposed to do. For example with the bridges if they aren't marked and the requirement from the Atlas says they have to be a certain height or be marked then why is it our fault. Now if your on nj-17 n you miss the signs saying that the only spot with 13,6 clearance is in the left lane then that would be a drivers fault. There are even states that don't even list thier truck routes online. Let alone up to date low bridges and weight restrictions. Basically what I'm saying is all the trip planning in the world and you could still end up in a position that you shouldn't be in. Now I still spend at least 20-30 mins trip planning unless it's a run that I haven't done n then it's more but even still I worry about a situation like that where I'll literally run into a bridge or power line that I didn't know about.

Where to get a Mini refrigerator?

I've used the the thermoelectric cooler for almost 2 years. It works good for me because I keep the truck pretty cold. The only problem I've had was I burned out a fan that I replaced with a computer fan and it works even better now lol. If I had an inverter I would probably get a fridge but this works for me.

Gone a fowl...Turkey for Easter.

Glad your ok there g town. You bagged your limit of spring turkey tho so no more for you lol. The biggest thing I ever hit was a crow lol it bounced off the roof and didn't damage anything so I was luckier than you.

What would you do

If there aren't any scales I personally would run it. I have a bad tendency to push the envelope tho and while it hasn't caught up to me yet I know it will one day. Like errol said if you cross a state line there is more than likely a scale there. And even if it's in states sometimes there's multiple spots. Wisconsin and PA come to mind. It really boils down to what you are comfortable with. If your a risk taker and willing to take the chance then go for it. But no one here or at the company is going to look down on you if you decide to play it safe.

Internet In Trucking

It really depends on the freight you haul. The first 6 months to a year, yeah your gonna be too tired to worry about doing much after your done driving except eat, shower n go to bed. After you get used to the schedule and you get used to working long hours then you will find a bunch of extra time. Unfortunately it tends to be in small 10 to 15 min increments unless your a reefer or van driver that gets live unloaded alot. For example I spent 4 hours sitting in a dock today and 2-4 hours is normal for me if I could afford the data I would have no problem breaking out a computer n playing some games. I have a wife and family to support so I have to be careful what I spend but the OP doesn't have those issues. As far as truckstop wifi goes it's pretty crappy, if it was me I would use a 3 or 4G Hotspot. I'm not sure what the ping and speeds are but im sure it's better than most truckstop wifi. I would definitely say that the Hotspot idea would work for farming and daily questing on wow but I'm not sure it would work too good for raiding.

What to do about parking?

It's not so much a new area it's just a crappy one lol I feel the same way about Atlanta and Chicago. I'm just more stressed this week and messing up my carefully thought out plans is bothering me more than usual.

What to do about parking?

This is gonna kind of be a rant but I don't mind the northeast as long as I have a little flexibility to set things up for parking. This week the farthest west I've been was gary in. I picked up a load in Kent ohio and drove it to gary, swapped trailers for a load going to new york. The load to new York delivered at 0300 on wed morning so I had to make it to Conklin by 1900 on Thursday to be able to split sleeper to deliver on time. My pickup on Thursday was scheduled for 1530 and the place I was picking up at didn't have parking. Luckily they loaded me early enough to get some miles under it n then while I was at my fuel stop they said take your load to Erie and we're gonna give you a load to Quakertown that delivers at 1600 tomorrow. But then they send me to Philly to pickup where there's crap for parking. I can't wait to get out west again. I should be great full for the miles but the stress of making plans to have dispatch shoot them down is wearing on me.

What to do about parking?

Well traffic made the decision for me lol. There were 3 accidents on 76 between 476 and 676 lol so I went to the Bensalem drop yard for the night

What to do about parking?

I did call the shipper and couldn't get anyone on the phone. I did look at Google n saw the on street parking but I would assume it would be filled if there aren't any restrictions so I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to head for the drop yard. If I had time I would head down n check it out n then backtrack to the drop yard but I think I'm just gonna head to the drop yard since I don't have time to get there and back if they are full.

What to do about parking?

I have a pickup tomorrow morning in philly. The directions say there is on street parking available and if I do that then I won't have to start my clock until I am loaded. But it is a major city at a shipper I have never been to so I'm a little nervous about trusting the directions. Usually they are pretty accurate but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong. It's preferred freezer on packer Ave in south philly incase anyone's actually been there. So basically what should I do? My company has a drop yard on the north side of Philly so I can park there too. But it's 20 miles away from the shipper so I'd start my clock n hope they loaded me before it starts eating into my drive time.

Tips for Contact Lenses on the road

I use the same ones Brett does and I treat them about the same way. Mine are way stronger. I'm running -7 and -6.5 right now. I buy a years worth for normal use and they last me 2 or 3 years.