Profile For Little Syster (a.k.a. Sunshine)

Little Syster (a.k.a. Sunshine)'s Info

Fort Collins, CO

Experienced Driver

3 years ago

Little Syster (a.k.a. Sunshine)'s Bio

Proud company driver! Excited to get started, throw some straps, push some chains, roll some tarps and get after it!

Little Syster (a.k.a. Sunshine)'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

First Year Solo

Old School - time sure has flown by! Last week was a good reminder that no matter how much "flow" a driver may have, the change of seasons will throw a wrench in things. I chained up more last week than all of last season!

Bud A. - Hey! Haven't seen you around lately. Hope all is well! Got a load headed to Cali out of Pueblo. Slinkies!!!! Wooohooo! Quite the line to get loaded today.

G-Town and Serah - Thank you! It's been quite the experience :)

6 string and Rick - I've been so horrible about posting :( I know...thanks for reading my stuff though! Hope all has been well with you both!

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

First Year Solo

Thanks Brett! Please excuse the delayed reply.

We're always thrilled when you stop by and congratulations on the anniversary!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

I took the liberty of updating your status from 'rookie solo driver' to 'experienced driver' - how great is that, right??? Very cool.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

First Year Solo

Since I can't seem to wind down for the night, which is no good considering I'm doing an 8/2 and have to be rolling in 6 hrs for a delivery in Layton, UT, I figured I'd take a minute to say hello again. My official anniversary was actually October 7th, but time flies when you're having fun! I've driven over 115k miles, from one coast to the other. I can tell you exactly what road signs I down shift/up shift at on I 70 between Denver and Gypsum, CO, and where the best spots to stay are in 7 of the 11 western. I'm still running hard and loving it! I did switch from long hauls/OTR to short hauls and have found that I can make the same amount and have the luxury of being home every weekend. I have a good flow tarping/untarping, have little to no trouble throwing straps, and actually prefer running mountain roads than the interstates. Recently, I found that my short hauling has taken its toll on my backing abilities since I run mostly drywall and Lowes DC loads which deliver in open lots instead of dock areas. When I get down time, I've been sneaking in 30 mins to an hour of backing practice. I don't want to be the flatbed stereotype!! Anyways, all is well with your Lil' Syster/Sunshine!! Just checking in! Sorry I don't swing by more often. Lost of love to my trucking family!

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

I found Little Syster!

Haha! I feel bad about checking out for as long as I have. I guess it just gets monotonous and I feel silly even writing about anything that goes on out here. The latest excitement is that I spent most of my afternoon throwing my tissue box at my various windows trying to kill the flies that got in yesterday. rofl-3.gif

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

I found Little Syster!

It was so awesome running into you Bud! It has been way too long since I've posted anything on TT. All has been well and after getting to shake your hand it's even better!! Thanks for saying hi smile.gif

Oh, and I'd be happy to help you tarp! In this breeze the more hands the merrier!

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

I'm Still Alive and Still Loving It

Oh and we're governed at 65 mph. Because I burn my clock out most days, with a little finagling I'm able to run pretty long and hard if necessary on recap.

MPW vary; sometimes it's 2500 while other times its 3000. And rarely it's 1800 (that's when I start getting a little persnickety and pushy with dispatch).

Glad you like the post guys! And TPC, you're right, I'm too stubborn to give up or risk this job. I really do love it. :)

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

I'm Still Alive and Still Loving It

Ack!!! I oopsied! 12 days because I had to split two of my stops between two days! Sorry about that... 10 stops, 12 days...

5530 miles, 10 days, 12 stops, and all on recap.

Syster- Neat post! 5530 miles in 10 days. That's 553 miles/day. What is your truck governed at? Seems like you might have to do around 70-75 mph on the interstate to do it on recaps.

About how many miles do you average per week?

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

I'm Still Alive and Still Loving It

HELLO!!!

Man I've missed you guys :) Sorry I fell off the map for a while there. I'm at my 50k mile mark and decided it was time to update you, my dear friends!

This career choice has made me so much happier than I ever imagined. Sure, there have been hard days, but what job doesn't? I've actually grown to genuinely enjoy tarping. I figured, it is what it is. No point in focusing on the negative. Instead, I try to focus on making it as pretty as possible. I did go through a horrific wind storm through AZ last week that demolished both tarps; something that made me very sad as I know they're expensive and I try to keep everything in tip top shape.

I did my first coast to coast turn around; that was a blast. 5530 miles, 10 days, 12 stops, and all on recap. I enjoyed driving through my old stomping grounds and got quite a different perspective sitting up so high. I was in Prince George, VA, during all those tornadoes. Luckily, I was not harmed and was able to carrying on and make all my deliveries on time, if not early.

Lately, I've been running back and forth between Colorado and Arizona. I'm a little bit over it, but that's ok.

Anyways, back to unloading :)

Hope all is well with everyone!

Hardest Part of Being Out Here

Ps: I love that Cash song :)

Hardest Part of Being Out Here

Thank you all so very much! Man those were some good hugs!!!

And I did it! I drove that road like a champ :) It was really scary, but I just put my Dubstep mix on and pumped some good beats the whole way up. Got a rhythm to the curves. Kept it in 7th on the way up and cruised down in 8th. Missed the turn off for 67 at 2nd street toward the mine going out of Cripple Creek and had to go around the block but that's ok.

I wish I had seen the posts about getting pictures sooner. They looked like ants crawling up the mounds. Big old dumps! They were super cool :) I got this one but the dump that was there wasn't by the time I got the camera focused.

female truck driver's picture out the window at dump trucks loading at giant sand pit

Traffic wasn't any better today, but I fought my way back to the yard and am currently sitting at home. The migrain I woke up with is almost gone and I have a dog curled up at my feet, a belly full of momma's home cooking, and a glass of wine to help with sleeping tonight. I don't work this week so I'm treating myself :)

Sending the biggest, sunshiniest, love-filled hug to all of you!!! Happy Thanksgiving :) Thank you for picking me up when I was down.

Hardest Part of Being Out Here

No hugs.

Not like "commercial company" hugs.

Just..."Man, you've had a rough day! Let me give you a hug, friend!"

Most days, I'm fine. But today...between the wind, ice, traffic, having to cut someone off because they just WOULDN'T let me over no matter how long my blinker had been on (that driver was kind enough, after he being the one who sped up after I started making my lane change when there was finally a teeny weeny break in traffic, to hang himself out the window flip me off and scream out his window as he passed me), etc etc etc.

It's like no matter how I drive, I'm always ruining someone's day. It breaks my heart. I'm Sunshine! I don't want to ruin your day. I want to bring you cool stuff that makes your life easier and better and happier! I want to make you laugh and smile and enjoy life!

I'm on my 12th load now. Heading up the backside of Pikes Peak tomorrow morning to deliver to a mine. I'm scared. (Look up Hwy 67 from Divide, CO to Cripple Creek.) I'm tired. I'm sad. I think I need my dogs, my mom, and my own bed for a few days.

And I'm not saying all of this for any sort of pity. I'll be fine. I always am. I guess I just had to tell someone who would understand. Friends and family don't really get it. They try. But it's not the same.

I'll tell you about all the happy stuff one day. There's been lots of that, too! More than the hard stuff. :) I don't mean to sound whiny or depressing...

Ps: The truck driver "code of honor" is dying out. I had ONE driver thank me for the "all clear" signal as he passed me today. ONE. He put a smile on my face for doing that. It made me feel human again for a little while. There's so much out here that will strip that away from you. Somedays I feel like an animal or a machine. Luckily, those days are few.

I still love what I do and I am so happy and grateful to be a truck driver. But tonight my pillow will be tear stained...

Watkins & Shepard Trucking inc. ???

I don't know too much about them, but I did talk to a recruiter. I decided that for me (and this is JUST me) it wasn't a good fit because they have no formal training other then (if I remember correctly) a 10 day orientation/classroom/group driving session.

One year down

Fantastic! What would you say is the biggest improvement you've made in the year? What was your biggest fear when you started and how do you feel about it now? Just curious :)

3 Years Trucking Experience Celebration!

So proud and happy for you! That's so wonderful that you and your wife got to celebrate in style :)

Hate eating out, tips for eating on the road?

I'm vegetarian so my grocery list differs from most people's. I also have an APU so I run a microwave, a cooler, a mini blender, this truck has a mini fridg, and coffee pot:

Bread Cheese (sliced, string, shredded) Carrot sticks Olives Hummus Crackers Salad mix Grapes Cereal COFFEE Half n half Sugar Black and red pepper Salt Hot dog buns Vegetarian hot dogs Dry pasta Pam Cream cheese Cottage cheese Mustard Salad dressing Rice (My mom always makes some rice for me to take) Canned beans (or slow cooked when I get home) Nutella Peanut butter Honey Canned pears Grape tomatoes Corn tortillas Salsa Vegetarian burgers A few spinach and cheese raviolis Fiber One bars Rice pudding cups Eggs OJ Water Few cans if soda Crystal light squirt and mix Protain shake Coconut water Electrolyte drink powder mix

Flatbed Variety

Some pics to add to the bunch:

blue big rig pulling a loaded tarped flatbed trailer

First load I "took" home. I was loading up to leave for Park City, KS

truck pulling empty flatbed trailer in cowfield in park city KS

After dropping that load in Park City, I deadheaded over to a rock quarry (which I had to drive through a cow pasture to get to - it was awesome :) ) outside of Blue Mound to pick up this:

blue system truck pulling flatbed trailer loaded with decorative stone

Which, you can barely see, are a bunch of pallets of stone for some rich person's house up in Aspen, CO.

My latest load is quite the mess (pre-loaded) and I ended up throwing more straps on it than are shown in the picture:

blue System truck pulling flatbed trailer stacked with pallets and strapped

I dropped a third of it off in Tucson today and I have a couple more stops. It still isn't pretty, but the customer than I delivered to today has driven truck and helped me get it loaded a little better.

I'm still loving it! Wish I could remember to take more pics. I've hauled some cool stuff :)

Oh Deer Me - Watch Out!

I saw two of the cutest fawns and a gorgeous doe between Flagstaff and Kingsman today. I squeeeeed and then told them that they better stay right where they were!

Officially Solo :)

Lil Syster/Sunshine/Melly, Whatever name you go by, don't leave Trucking Truth behind. You write well, and have a SMILE that shines through your writing. Keep us updated with your adventures, and drop off some advice as needed. We appreciate you!

Thank you Errol :) My name is Melody. But my mom always called me "Sunshine" and my family calls me "Melly". "Little Syster" came from my orientation at System (The spelling was actually The Persian Conversion's idea, if I remember right). I've always been the smallest (height, not width ;) ) and one day I was joking about being like the annoying little sister. It stuck :) I'm glad that you all like my posts. Sometimes I don't feel like I write well, but it's usually when I'm tired. I have more stories to share that I'll post about once I get out from under this load and have a minute to creatively compose :)

Grats Sunshine, so cool to hear your stories! Keep it up!

I do have a question for you, though. Are you glad you went straight to Flatbedding? I know I would love to do it, or possibly Tanker, but I keep thinking I should drive van or Reefer first. I should be starting in Feb or March, just need to narrow down all the particulars. Thanks!

Thanks Magoo! Good question - I was going to do the same thing you're thinking about doing. I'm just not a very patient person, so I jumped in head first. I really, really like flatbed. It's truly exhausting though and, if I'm honest, frustrating. The exhaustion comes from the physical work, in part. But since I'm so new, it's also making sure you do your securement in the right order, trip plan so you know approximately where each load check needs to happen, being constantly vigilant that nothing is coming loose or that any of your securement equipment is damaged, etc. I can see where there would be a lot of cross-over between driving other types, but I think with flatbed the physical aspect is the real kicker. And I'm soooooooo slooooooowwwww right now with securement. That's the frustrating part. Well that and being a rookie. I constantly feel like I'm making rookie mistakes. It takes me about 2 - 2.5 hrs to properly and aesthetically secure and tarp a load. And by the end of it I'm completely drenched in sweat. And then I have to drive...like right away. Sitting in my sweaty dirty clothes because every minute counts. I shower daily even though the loads I've had aren't same day deliveries so I'm not a big ball of gross every day. But would I trade it? Go back? Switch? Nah. I'm too stubborn and I need a type of work that will meet me, greet me, shake my hand, maybe even smack me across the face a little. Then I smirk and whisper...

"Challenge Accepted"

About to go solo

Priority One is... Don't Hit Anything.

Keep that foremost and youll survive all the othet stuff.

Yep! That was a much more concise way of saying it :) I do all the things I was saying to avoid hitting anything! I already have one strike against me....stupid stop sign ;) The dumb thing about that whole situation is that I saw it coming, hoped I could make it around it so was going really really slowed, touched it with my trailer (left absolutely no sign of damage), backed up, and the dumb thing fell over the opposite way without me being in contact with it! The only reason I was in that intersection was because I didn't do a trip plan for myself and was relying solely on my trainer to get us unlost...

About to go solo

Not too far ahead of you (just got my truck last week), but you learn really quick and on the fly. I would say that the absolute most important thing is TRIP PLAN. Look up where you need to stop, calculate, look up a satellite image of where you're going to deliver and plan your approach accordingly. Call companies and ask them, if necessary, where/which way they want you to come in. Park as close as you can to where you're going to pick up and deliver so you don't end up burning your clock. Trucker Path is an app that has helped me tremendously because I have to do load checks. Helps with calculating everything out.

Most importantly, take your time. I find myself getting all worked up and I just have to remind myself to breathe. EVERY SINGLE DRIVER OUT THERE HAS BEEN A ROOKIE (sometimes they forget)! Just do the best you can and the rest will come :)