Comments By Magoo

https://i.imgur.com/fAxUP56.jpg avatar
  • Magoo
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 years ago

My student driver landed himself in hot water. Almost fired!

(I still would have reached for the clothes in the washer, but that's just me!)

Dad?!?

I'm not a fan of addressing someone by saying "I'm your boss", mainly because it should be implied and if they're to thick headed to see it shame on them. Over all I think you were right, Daniel, and more importantly it seems to be paying off. Good for you!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Might get a new opportunity.

I know some will talk about money, but to me it comes down to you and your family. If having you home 2 times in a month is better than once, go dedicated.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

The Official Update

I look forward to hearing the good news by the end of the month.

You got this!

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Who passed the CDL test?!? THIS GIRL :)

As I logged in tonight I was literally reminding myself to check your diary thread to see where you were at.

No need now. Congrats, Sunshine! dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Ouch! I just got put down hard

rofl-1.gif

Remember not all of us "seniors" are wise.

Way to stay even keeled.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Illegal immigrants in trucking??

It's a fair question. Not sure how work visas and the like work towards a CDL, but they work just fine to get licensed and bonded as installers. I work at a flooring warehouse and deal with levels and illegals everyday.

Not trying to get into a political or philosophical discussion but it IS a problem in this country and for some it could be as important a concern as CPM or home time.

But, I would think it would be tough to do or maintain for an extended period of time in this particular industry.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Rejected by Prime!

I completed the online application last week for Prime. I got a call yesterday from a recruiter, he stated we can't move forward with my application because I haven't worked in the past six months and because I was terminated from my previous employer. I understand this may be there policy, but I persionly think its BS! Any suggestions on where I might try to go next? Thanks for any helpful feed back.

Hey Tim, I hope you continue to apply, hopefully someone will hire you. But I'm gonna suggest that you try and at least get a part time job if you can.

The reason I suggest this is the fact that you were terminated and have not worked in 6 months. Unfortunately for most people those are two red flags that make you less than desirable. I used to be a manager for Target, Macy's and Kmart. I might have considered you for PT to give you a shot but never would've considered you for FT.

I also can commiserate with you. I am waiting until February to get my driving journey started. I'm doing this for a few reasons. Chief among them is that I will have been gainfully employed for 2 years. Before that I was unemployed for 14 months. Life threw a couple of punches that I forgot to duck. Hopefully the gainful employment of two years will out weigh the time without a job.

Good luck Tim!

Najavo trucking

Sometimes, I just look at the condition of the trucks in a company. I think that's one of your first indicators of whether or not they have the cash flow to take care of their fleet and whether or not their drivers are content enough to keep their tractor looking good

This is what I do.

I live right off of HWY 69 in Oklahoma, which is a major trucking route in our state. I write down the names of the trucks that pass by that are clean and look good and seem well maintained. Those are the companies I research more on.

May be silly, but I got to narrow the list down some how :)

Crazy idea.

And the price tag for the 30 pack should let you know how good it taste! MMMMMMM... Genny.

rofl-1.gif

Crazy idea.

And here I thawt i wuz a reel gud speller. Well, I guess my fat thumbs will do me in.

See this is really why there is no Edit feature.

Brett is in good ole NY kicked back with a Genny Cream Ale (do they even make those anymore?) laughing at all of us who have fat fingers!

Too old for Flatbed?

Well I have a little over three years until I can retire from this job and finally pursue my trucking dream. I first got the bug in 2007 :) I have recently been considering Flatbed. TMC in particular because their terminal is not far from me and it would be possible to go home every weekend if I wanted to.

I will be 51 years old. I have pretty good upper body strength, but will need to do a little work on getting in shape. I heard their orientation is tough though, anyone have any experience getting into flatbedding later in life, or would I be "the old guy" in with a bunch of young bucks?

In a word "no".

But I'll let the Old Bucks that are Flatbedding tell ya!

If Ever You Stuck In LA Area.

The Ontario TA and Petro are near a mall , theaters, numerous eateries and retail shops. There are a lot of little Stops here and there also.

This is info I want more of. I know trying to avoid resets is desired. But, when they are unavoidable knowing where to shut down so you can chill somewhere other than the truck is great information.

Gaming and internet help on the road

I have 40gb with AT&T at $200 a month for 4 lines (a deal from last year).

On my 4G phone AT&T allows tethering and no warranty is broken. You don't have to jailbreak it, just go into settings and choose USB tethering.

I live in the country and tethering, or using my phone as a hotspot, is my only means of good internet. I game like you do and never come close to my 40GB cap. As far as data goes unless I try and stream a ton of shows or movies I usually end up with a good sum of rollover minutes. Gaming itself doesn't use a lot of data.

Good luck.

Ride Along On The Road With Old School

Added to favorites. Definitely looking forward to following along.

Looking for a Prime instructor for PSD

What I find ODD is how (from reading this and other threads) it seems that Prime is making it the students responsibility to find a trainer? I would think that a well run training program is going to have at least one or more coordinators who are charged with making sure every student is moving through the program as efficiently as possible and not left sitting around. Any well run company needs to manage their people resources as well as their physical resources for peak efficency, one of the keys to maximising profit and minimizing waste. Right now Prime is losing money on Jeremy by keeping him on the bench and continuing to pay his room and board when somebody needs to step up to the plate and get him assigned to a trainier so he can get up to speed and be productive employee quicker.

Love this post. Prime is on my short list, but when the onus is placed (what seems like primarily) on the trainee to find their way, little red flags go up for me.

Hopefully this is the exception and not the rule. Good luck Jeremy.

Leeeaving....on a Greyhound...

Congrats! Have fun on the dog and rock it out for your family.

Need advice!

Thanks for the post Tom! You and I have similar thoughts. I need to have challenge on top of the normal routine or I become bored. So I too am deciding between Tanker and Flatbed. Unlike you I have quite a while to think on it as I won't be able to start the madness until Spring.

Thanks OS and Pat for your responses. Look forward to hearing more thoughts from Flatbed and Tanker drivers.

My tea.... Smells weird?

I have been in a few trucks where you had to dig to get to the passenger seat. Smelling any kind of tea in there would be refreshing.

Living in such a small space I mean, come on. Keeping it clean isn't that hard.

A few companies don't clean out the truck before passing it on to the next driver so the driver has to clean the garbage up. Happened to me three times at my old company and I won't even go into detail about how dirty it was because you'll just want to throw up. As far as I know, Swift doesn't take the responsibility to clean out the trucks for the next driver so this could be what he's talking about.

That's Okay, I still have a chemsuit and mask from the USAF. Just give me some bleach and I'm good to go! rofl-3.gif

My tea.... Smells weird?

I'll be following your truck then Greenhorn. Mmmmm coffee!

Can an old guy still drive cdl

You aren't wearing the hat though! Haha! Put the hat on and knocks off quite a few years

I miss that hat. I think it's in a box in the garage.

raiders-lost-ark.png

rofl-1.gif Sure thing Dr. Jones!