Comments By Sam C.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/9-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Sam C.
  • Comments:

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Yes there's more traffic but haven't they expanded roadways and added new highways? Yep.

They monitor drivers to make it safer for people around them. Yep that seems like a bad idea.

It's harder to make excuses why you screwed up? Really? Lol

And for family, yes that still sucks but I bet you talk to them all day, even see them on Skype. Not the same as being there true but way better than the 5 min phone call at a truck stop.

It's hard being the smartest guy here

Unions ...... Good or bad??

As for Bretts post about whether drivers do less not work as hard as they did 25 years ago. The answer is yes, they don't work as hard nor do they do as much. My grandfather was a otr driver for over 30 years, back when it was all on the driver to figure out and plan his trip. Now a days technology does everything for you. Want to know the weather, click your doppler app. Need a place to park, click truckers path. Where am I headed, type in the address on the GPS. Nothing is planned anymore. The trucks are 100x safer and with more and more companies going to the automatics, you won't even have to shift. Yes! The job has gotten easier. Yes! Truckers today don't work as hard as they did then. The same goes for every business. Even burger flippers don't actually flip burgers anymore.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

I went on to get accepted to Harvard University (didn't go because I didn't like the program set up) as well as 15 other colleges.

Explain again how this comment proves my point bogus and invalid. Let me get this straight, YOU didn't want to go to Harvard so now it's someone else's fault you ended up homeless and unsuccessful? Once again I stand by my point from the start. People need to be accountable for the decisions they make in life that got them to the point they are. I'm sure it's hard for those Harvard graduates to find successful jobs.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

You are right, there doesn't need to be slums. But in order for that to happen then everyone has to hold themselves accountable for their own lives. When they realize the only reason they are where they are is their own fault then they will fight to make it better... Loved newsroom BTW.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Sam, when I started trucking in 1993 I was making about the same money or more than what drivers are making today. Adjusted for inflation, drivers today are making barely half of what we made 20 years ago doing the same job. And yet the upper management at these same companies are making triple or more what they were back then.

Your theory is that people are making exactly what they deserve and they aren't entitled to any more. If they want to make more money then they should quit being so lazy and uneducated and get out there and make something of themselves. So the reason drivers today are making half of what we were back then from your perspective must be pretty simple and obvious:

That's not at a what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it is all supply and demand. That if you want to get ahead then you have to work harder than everyone else. Remember that kid in school that everyone picked on for being a geek or a nerd? He was working harder than you to secure his future. He got straight A's in school and got a scholarship to college where he continued to work hard and got on the dean's list. Now he's one of those fat cat ceos you hate. You could have done the same thing but instead you chose to go the way you did. Which led you here. The trucking companies have realized that all of us are a dime a dozen. That it takes very little skill and that there is always someone waiting to take your spot. This is why there isn't more money in it. Same with every other entry level position. We don't bring anything to the table. If you want more money then you have to work harder than an entry level job.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

1.) The Walton's have exploited the people for decades, created people dependent on these meager tidings, did so, making billions, and now you want to justify it afterwards?

2.) NO, you cannot survive on minimum wage. No where in the country can you afford to live on $7.25/hour. No where.

3.) Never once was I talking about LUXURIES (cell phones, etc).

4.) Why is life so hard? Are you telling me that you want to justify the Walton's paying slave wages and making life so hard for people because they need another billion?

5.) How many minimum wage jobs should I get?

6.) Interestingly, you totally ignored my FDR remarks about paying a living wage. Also, I find it completely FASCINATING that you blame someone making $7.25/hour because you think that they think that they deserve more without working, yet you have no problem with the people that created this reality. It shows lack of empathy and lack of compassion and shows your true character.

1. Nobody forced you to shop at Walmart, you choose to. You are not dependent on them, you just want to save a few bucks. 2. There are slums everywhere. Grab a few minimum wage buddies and get a place. 3. Besides food and shelter, everything is a luxury. 4. Life is hard because you have to work hard to get ahead. I don't even know where to begin with the slave labor ****. You realize that slaves weren't paid right? They didn't have a choice on anything in their lives. They were forced to work until they died. How could you even possibly compare someone who chooses where he works, when he works, and how much he is paid to a slave? That's right I said he chose how much he is paid. That's the one thing you seem to forget is that he Chose that job. He wasn't forced! 5. You only need 1 minimum wage job. Reefer to answer 2. Nobody said you had the right to your own place or to raise a family on your income. In fact, if you chose to start a family when you can't even take care of yourself, that makes you even a bigger dumba$$. 6. Obviously they make a living wage.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Yes the Waltons deserve to make billions. After all, it is THEIR company. Not yours! As for all the lazy people making minimum wages, guess what, you can survive on minimum wage. Can you live where you want? Nope. Can you have cable, Internet, a car, cell phone, eat steak, drink beer, go out, have a big screen TV, or any of the many other things people think are a rightright. NO!!! But do all of these people have these things, bet your a$$ they do. Not only do they have all of this, they think they deserve it all. Guess what, life is hard! Stop crying and work harder.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Lol, yep. You are completely right. Nobody in the Walton family worked for the money. It was the genie of the lamp. Damn, now if only we could find that lamp so that you can be rich. I mean why should you have to work for it! Lol... The real problem is your jealousy of the rich. Like I said, Anybody can be rich! Just work for it. I'll have a nice chunk to hand down to my son, who will in turn, add to it and hand down to his. And so on and so on. This is how empires are born. Nobody just wakes up one day from nothing to the top 1%. It took generations to get there.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Wow!!!! We have a winner! The BIGGEST PILE OF EXCREMENT EVER POSTED! I am pretty sure MOST of the big money in the USA/World today is inherited. How many hours do Walton heirs work?

And how do you think there was money to inherit? Oh that's right, somebody in that family tree busted their a$$ to get it. Why are we a country of entitlement? Why does everyone think they deserve more for doing as little as possible? How have you made things better for your company that they should give you more? Have you upped revenue? No. Have you brought in new business? No. Have you cut loss? No. Did you invent something? No. What have you done? That's right, you did the job that takes almost no skill at all. A job that you can be replaced by anyone off the street, no education needed. Yep, you deserve so much more.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

However, if someone "flips burgers", there can be any number of reasons. Let's just peruse a hypothetical example. "Tim" flips burgers. But see, Tim grew up in a bad side of Chicago (Hegwich, neighborhood maybe). Dad was an alcoholic and mom ran away. Tim had to quit high school, after getting into gangs. But, Tim found some inspiration and now got a job at McDonalds. He has no diploma, no GED, and no way to get those. He flips a mean burger, and works all the hours he can get. If he works 39.5 hours (they won't give him the last half hour to avoid full time benefits) he cannot even afford a 1 bedroom apartment with utilities. Let alone ANYTHING else.

This is the reason I am completely against this. So Tim destroyed his life and now it's someone else's fault he can't afford to live. How about this scenario. Tim, who only works part time at Mcds because they don't allow anyone full time unless they are management, decides to get off his a$$ and go get his ged. They have testing every week at your local library. After Tim gets his ged he can now apply for a new job. Now that Tim got a new job and works 40 hours a week things are getting better. Not great but better, he knows if he buckles down and works hard he will make more so that's what he does. 10 years later, Tim is a foreman at his company, owns a house, and is continuing to better himself. Stop giving people handouts.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Everyone seems to know what will happen if we do this or that, but then nothing gets done. I say let's try eliminating income tax for a few years on those that earn under a certain amount and see what happens. A real life experiment. How about giving something back to the people instead of always trying to screw them over?

I just had to point out the ignorance in this comment. Now Rob, you do realize that the bottom of the barrel don't pay income tax already. Right? I mean even you should have known that before you made that comment. Hell, not only do they not pay taxes, we give them money from people who do. Think about it, they pay 3000 in taxes through the year and get back 6000 at tax time. So they pay nothing plus get $

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Hey Rob S, there is no "man" holding anyone back. We live in a free country where we make choices that determine our lives. Why is it when someone destroys their life it's always someone else's fault? I've got a better experiment, let's completely remove welfare from our country and force people to take care of themselves. How many of those fast food workers and complete welfare people would then finally get a real job in order to survive? I'm betting a lot. The problem is that they are to used to hand outs and now expect it. Why work hard when you can make an excuse for life and get someone else to take care of you?

Unions ...... Good or bad??

So a person with no skills and who refuses to even work a full-time job deserves $15 an hour? Do you even read the crap you post? You have to ask yourself 1 question. Can these people get a better paying full-time job? YES! They choose to work there because they don't want a real job so why should we reward them for being lazy?

OK so what's the deal with Prime lease?

Hence why I'm not buying a truck lol.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

It's the same thing. Yes the rich are getting richer. Why is that such a bad thing? The brick yard I worked at for 10 years was a union and I loved the money I made but personally hated the union mentality that everyone was worth the same. When the owner sold the company to a Chinese company simply for our customer list and closed our doors and we all lost our jobs it sacked. Was I ****ed that I lost my great paying job? YesYes! But did I understand the business of it? Yes. I would have done the same thing. Why pay someone 20$ an hour to do what someone will do for 10 cents an hour? It's good business! And yes even people who are born with a silver spoon still had someone in their family work hard to get them there. Money doesn't magically appear. Somebody worked hard for it. I understand your problem that the poor keep getting poorer but that's not the fault of the rich. It's simply supply and demand. If people refused to work for low income then the owner would have no choice but to raise the starting pay. But if they are willing to work for low income why then would he up the price. This is America! EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE AS RICH AS THEY WANT. once again, if you want to stick it to your company, quit. That will show them that you refuse to work for what they are offering. But you can't get mad that someone else is willing.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

I'm going to disagree with you there. Nobody has been placed in circumstances that they didn't control. I don't care what it is, at some point in their lives they chose to go down the path they are on. Because you didn't want to work that hard in school you didn't become an honor student. Because you weren't an honor student you couldn't get a scholarship to college. Because you didn't get a scholarship you couldn't afford college. Do you see where this is going? You chose everything in your life! So why should the person who worked hard to get ahead have to give you some of the money he worked his ass off for? Don't make excuses for your life. Learn from your mistakes and work at getting ahead. I chose to drop out of high school because I wanted to party and not get up in the morning. I chose to get my ged instead. I chose to not go to college and instead work at a brick yard. I chose to turn down or accept every job I've ever had in my life. I've also chosen to never work for under what I felt I was worth. Did it keep me unemployed for longer than I would have liked? Yes. But it also kept me in the range to afford my bills. I chose to put 30% of my pay into savings, did it mean I couldn't afford cable or a nice car? YepYep, but I bought a house cash at age 26. I continue to choose to put back 30%. Do I have new cars? No. Do I have cable? No. Do I take big vacations? No. Will I have a million when I retire? Yes. Will my son get a better start at adulthood because of it? Yes. Will he know how to add to what I leave him for his own children? Yes.

OK so what's the deal with Prime lease?

Yes. I've been company solo for the last few months

OK so what's the deal with Prime lease?

You're reading it wrong. I am not with a trainer, haven't been found 3 months now. I was talking about the upgrade classes.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Oh, thanks for the tip on how to become rich! If it were only that easy. I'm not in trucking to become rich, but I am also not in it to be exploited.

That's the problem, it's not easy! You have to be willing to give up everything else in your life to achieve it and most people aren't. They want the big house they can't afford or the new car. If you don't have enough cash to buy something then you can't afford it. Now as for exploiting you, you do realize the only person exploiting you is you right? Nobody made you work for what you get paid but you. You chose to value yourself that low and took the job. I don't blame others for my life. I chose not to go to college, nobody stopped me. If you aren't happy with your life then change it. You are the only person with that power!

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Just to quiet all of the cry babies who ***** about what ceos make, here is the secret to getting rich. Anybody can be rich! ANYBODY!!! All you have to do is want it bad enough and work had enough. I could be rich, I don't want to work that hard. I don't have the drive to do so. Those ceos that everyone *****es about busted there ass to get there. They studied hard and gave up a high school social life. Then they did the same thing in college. After that they refused to settle and went into the work force with only success on their mind and busted their ass til they got it.