Profile For Ernie S. (AKA Old Salty Dog)

Ernie S. (AKA Old Salty Dog)'s Info

Chesapeake, VA

Experienced Driver

7 years, 5 months ago

Ernie S. (AKA Old Salty Dog)'s Bio

Born & raised on a dairy farm in WA state, did 20 years in the military, spent most of the last 19 years since retiring from the military doing computer work.

I drive for Prime Inc., and have been having the time of my life since I started driving in Oct 2011. Changed to Barr Nunn in March 2014 but they talked a good game but did not follow through with what they preached. From Barr Nunn I went to JB Hunt on one of their dedicated accounts.

After being gone from Prime for 2 years, I have been back since Feb 2016. Time will tell just how long I'll be driving since I had medical issues the summer of 2015. Some minor complications, but not anything I can't manage for the time being.

There have been lots of days when I wonder, why did I do this again? But all kidding aside, would not trade this for the world.

Ernie S. (AKA Old Salty Dog)'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Springfield Prime terminal

I'll be to our terminal this afternoon for the evening.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Facebook page

Yap, right here:

TT Member Tracker

This is so cool! I'd never seen that before. Feeling kind of alone out here in the PNW lol

JoAnne,

I was born up in your neck of the woods in Chehalis WA. I still have lots of family/friends up there and I try to get up there whenever I can.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

And the reasoning is that in the past drivers (especially lease guys) would use the Johnson bar instead of the service brakes to save on maintenance costs. So you can't blame Prime for their decision to eliminate them from the trucks.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Glad you got through that Kim.

Stuck tandems?

Had it happen once during my first few weeks on the Walmart account over 5 years ago. After about 30 minutes of hammering on it, I called the Walmart shop at the DC I am assigned to. He instructed me to use the trailer service brake (AKA the Johnson Bar) to hold the trailer, rocking the trailer forward and then reverse until hearing the unmistakable “pop” indicating freeing of the pins. It worked immediately.

He explained that the service brake holds with maximum force as opposed to the trailer spring brakes (red knob), which have limited holding force.

I typically move the tandems several times throughout my day for a variety of reasons. I can honestly state since applying the Johnson Bar technique to hold the trailer I’ve never had to deal with stuck pins.

Good luck and safe travels!

The only problem with your suggestion is that we don't have that feature here at Prime. Although I have been successful with just having set the service brakes and rocking the trailer to release the locking pins.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Ernie, thank you for all of your advice and suggestions. I appreciate you so much!

You are quite welcome. Just glad I could help. As I told you yesterday, I don't train for several reasons, so by helping folks like you is just as important as training.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime CDL Training

Glad everything is finally going your way. Safe travels.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Congrats to Donna & Kim!!!!

Congrats ladies. Now let the real learning begin.

dancing-banana.gifgood-luck.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Posted:  3 months ago

Enlightening Conversation Overheard At A Truck Stop About Owning A Truck

Brett,

I have said this before, and I'll say it again, I do just a little better pay wise than I would as a company driver. But the reasons I am out here and my situation is different than most, so I am satisfied with the outcome.

Just so the folks that don't know, yes I run a lease truck with Prime. I guess what sets me apart is that I don't come on here and make crazy statements about how much more money I'm making without having facts to back those statements.

Posted:  3 months ago

Enlightening Conversation Overheard At A Truck Stop About Owning A Truck

rofl-3.gif

That's awesome. That's what we do to people in here when they talk about buying a truck and it really makes em mad. I wish we could parade out all of the people over the years who chastised us for recommending against buying or leasing a truck and see where they are today and how they're doing. You can call us any name in the book as long as you're willing to come back in 2 years with proof of how things went for you.

Imagine the wall of shame we'd have by now!

Brett,

I guess that makes me the odd ball. But I just keep rolling down the highway, making this work for me....

Posted:  3 months ago

Windshield washer fluid additives?

Something else that helps with wipers freezing, turn your sun visor down. It helps keep the warm air against the window longer. Works great, I used that method last year. Oh and turn up the defrost to a level you can tolerate as well.

Posted:  3 months ago

Prime CDL Training

Congrats Kim. good-luck.gifdancing.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-banana.gif

Just remember, I'm just a phone call away if you need help.

Posted:  3 months ago

Pre-trip Testing

I have noticed that confidence in wording is much more powerful than simply going through a choreograph robotic memorized play.

Mike D.,

Every state has it's own way that they want you to check/word the pre-trip. So you would do well to find out what they (meaning the state you will be testing in) want you to do the pre-trip.

I know from experience that is exactly how Missouri wants it, so I'm sure other states are similar.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Rough ride to California

Its brutal here

Right Daniel B., youngsters like you have no clue.......

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

I'll be driving your brand-new truck before you do!

Errol,

Hate to burst your bubble, but most of the trucks I've been assigned to since I started 7 years ago have been new.

But seriously, good for you and good luck. I have seen many of these setups you are about to embark on, pretty cool that you are getting the chance to do this.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Upgrading

Since I will be upgrading to my own truck very soon I would like to revisit a question I asked months ago before I started CDL training (and I was told I was being silly for asking and that I was putting the horse before the cart (I guess the commenter didn’t know my determination and drive 😁)).

My question is this: what do you wish you had on your very first truck that you didn’t have? Anything and everything you can think of. I will be going home for Thanksgiving and can hit some good sales while I’m there.

Thanks and be safe!

A refrigerator........depends on what model/make of truck you get as to what you can & cannot do.....

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Home time

Good luck Ernie! We will be thinking of you.

Thanks Kim......

If you get down this way.....let me know....

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Prime CDL Training

I'll be home in Chesapeake VA for thanksgiving as you will be home in WV.

Time flies when you are having fun......

Have a safe trip.....hope to see you sometime out on the road......never know when we will cross paths...

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

FMCSA clarifies personal conveyance - "even if laden"

This is good, but I’ve found a lot of how personal conveyance is used depends on company guidelines and how they choose to implement the rules.

That is a fact. It all depends on the company & how they chose to implement the new changes.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Starting orientation

If you search for "items to take to orientation", you will find a whole list of responses to this question.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Home time

Good luck with your procedure.

Thanks. I'm sure all will turn out just fine.