Profile For Bigdubber

Bigdubber's Info

Colchester, VT

Preparing For School

9 years, 3 months ago

Bigdubber's Bio

A humble but "Proud to be an American" Small Business Owner/Entrepreneur. Will be retiring my Barber clippers soon and returning to truck driving. I am so excited for this change in careers! I feel like a "youngster" getting his first chance to drive a HOT car! I did three years in the U.S. Army and eight and a half years in the U.S. Navy. I drove truck (dry van, fuel tanker, tail dumps) from late '70s to mid '80s. Hope to be going to Prime, Inc for CDL training this June!

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

"Destination Excellence" or Old School's training experiences at TMC

CONGRATS! Old School!! Good for you! dancing-banana.gif I look forward to your "updates" on your new chapter in life. good-luck.gif God bless and be safe!

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

"Destination Excellence" or Old School's training experiences at TMC

Sorry for the "news" OldSchool... but hey, it is and will TMC's loss...

I know you will find the company that will work out for you. People with your kind of "character" will always come out the better.

God bless and keep you.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Swift training

...So long story short, I PASSED!! I now have my CDL....

CONGRATS EM!!!! Way to go! dancing-dog.gifdancing-banana.gif

Now the real learning starts! But, hey you've proven yourself capable... so you'll do just fine! dancing.gif

Keep us posted! And thanks for doing so! good-luck.gif

Crete Carrier Corp.

I've been checking into Crete myself and here is what I've learned (from their websites and talking with two different individuals in recruiting).

Crete is actually three companies within one: Crete (dry vans), Shaffer (reefers), and Hunt (flatbed). They all basically fall under the umbrella of a corporation. Only Crete and Shaffer accept recent CDL graduates. You must have one year OTR before Hunt will even look at you. They run flatbed, glass and special freight.

As far as the "approved schools" list goes...I was told they (Crete/Shaffer) hire graduates exclusively from those schools. Those are the only schools they send recruiters to. They (Crete/Shaffer) would consider a graduate from a school NOT on the list provided the applicant was in an approved hiring area and was willing to spend additional time 'training' (he stated approx. 4 months). The typical training time is 8 weeks (at $500 per week which is pretty good for training time, many companies are in the low to mid 400s).

So, if Crete (or Shaffer) is THE company you really want to drive for, it makes sense to attend one of their 'approved schools' to ensure you get due consideration.

I was also told switching up companies (Crete/Shaffer/Hunt) was fairly easy to do if you had the experience and wanted to haul something different (i.e., reefers to flatbed).

That's good info right there... much appreciate the "share".

Good luck in your "search".

God bless and be safe.

Crete Carrier Corp.

OTR Training

(I ment to post this the other day, I have an update from days 2-4 coming up.)

The trainer and I left out from the terminal around 4:00AM Friday. We had a couple of drop & hooks around the terminal before picking up a load headed to Pennsylvania. I had my first experiences with weigh stations, fueling, and truck washes.. Also, the drop & hooks gave me experience with shippers/receivers and maneuvers. We stopped in South Carolina to spend the night that night. Everything went smooth for my first day. Just trying to learn all the company procedures and processes. I was excited to finally get out there and drive. All these CDL tests and road tests are stressful and don't allow you to just get out there and relax and drive. I enjoyed my first day and will update you again as soon as possible!

Hey! That's great, sounds like you are "getting in step", glad to hear all is well. Thanks for taking the time to keep "us" informed of your progress.

God bless and be safe out there!

Swift

Thanks Starcar for your reply.

Sorry Brett, I should of used different terminology. You're right, it is not "illegal"... what I should of said instead is "per MANY company's policy procedures, sleeping in the top bunk when truck is moving is NOT ALLOWED."

That being said, I concur with Starcar's last post, e.g. with all the mundane rules the "authorities" are cramming down the throats of carriers and truck drivers, it is surprising (maybe not?) that sleeping in the top bunk of a moving truck has not been made illegal.

"Destination Excellence" or Old School's training experiences at TMC

@Old School, I tip my hat to ya... your attitude about this situation is refreshing to hear! I pray you will continue caring that every where you go.

I thought it "interesting" that I should find your post today. I have been "researching" the truck driving forums and blogs, etc for a few months now because I am making a career change this coming May. I fully intend to return to TT OTR (still sorting out how to get trained and what company to try and work for, hopefully start by mid June) after over 20 years of absence.

Today, after my daily routine of scouring companies and forum threads, etc I was wondering if I was "selling myself short" by not considering flatbedding (instead leaning to dry van as first choice and reefer as a second choice).

I really like the physical aspect of the flatbed realm, but for the past 20 years I have gotten "soft" as being a Barber, my daily exercise amounted to my daily walk around my Barber Chair. Add to that I had a hernia operation back in 2001 so I was worried about that disqualifying me from the start.

I will be praying for you, and looking forward to your progress, whatever that turns out to be.

God bless you and yours and be safe.

Crete Carrier Corp.

GA_Rookie... do you know if Crete accepts ONLY the schools listed within their website, or are they open to accept other schools not listed within their website?

Here is a list of Approved Schools for those of you who are interested. I do not think they will accept anywhere else. You are more than welcome to call a recruiter to verify. The number is 1-800-998-2221. I agree with skyflyer69. The schools on this list should be cheaper and have a better quality of learning. I chose the tech college route and would not have it any other way!

Thanks for your reply.

Hope all is going well with you.

God bless and be safe.

Crete Carrier Corp.

I wanted to shoot them an email to inquire but couldn't find an email anywhere on their site.

The issue is that I live way up here in Vermont, we have two CDL schools but neither are listed on their website, and financially, I can't go to any of the schools listed on their website, too far away and more expensive (although the two schools here are NOT cheep either, but it's "doable")

Thanks.

God bless and be safe.

Crete Carrier Corp.

Bigdubber,

My home terminal is in Marietta, Ga.

Ok, thanks! thank-you.gif

Millis transfer

Anybody know anything about millis? I am starting school with them in may. Just wanted to see if anyone has been there.

Sorry, I can't give you any "first hand knowledge"... but for what it's worth, I have been doing rather extensive research on the various companies out there and most of what I have found on MTI has been praise and kudos! From those I would say you have made a good choice.

May I also encourage you to just go into this with an firm conviction that no matter what, you will give it your all, be confident in yourself, be coachable and willing to learn all you can; brush off any and all non important things (instead of dwelling on it and deterring your attitude and confidence)keep your "eye on the end result".

Good luck and "stay the coarse".

God bless and be safe.

Crete Carrier Corp.

Day 1: Orientation

...I will update you on tomorrows excitement as soon as possible. If you have any questions then please feel free to ask!

good-luck-2.gif Great! dancing-banana.gif I (we) appreciate you taking the time to keep "us" in the loop!

I forget, confused.gif where are you doing your orientation? (your comment about tornado warning peaked my curiosity).

God bless and be safe!

Follow Me to CDL School!

Bigdubber,

1) I chose Crete after a lot of research and speaking with various companies. I chose what I thought would be best for me. I visited one of their terminals before making my decision. Everyone was friendly and very helpful. Their recruiter spent 2 hours talking to me and another of my classmates. Were else will you get that attention? They also had one of the best starting CPM and training pay. I felt confident they would be a great training company, and possibly career company. I have only heard good things about them!

2) I graduated Feb. 25. I was working full time while going to school. I did not want to burn any bridges, so I put in a 2 weeks notice at my employer. Which gets us to March 11.I had vacation time built up so I used that payout to get prepared for going OTR. I have a house and wife to take care of before leaving. I needed time to get caught up after working full time and going to school full time at the same time.

Crete understood my situation and was fine with me having to wait to start training. I also feel very confident in my training from school, and believe I will be able to hop back in the truck with no problem.

Thanks for the reply.

You seem to be "in charge." I commend you on being able to "sift through all the BS" and follow your path for works for you and your family's life.

I look forward to "following" your progress (and challenges) in your new chapter in life.

God bless you and yours always, and be safe! ~Bigdubber

How I got a leg up at school - Swift Richmond, VA

Yes, thank you Hawkman for sharing... such posts are so helpful to those of "us" on the outside looking in.

I have not yet committed to any particular company yet, but Swift is on my (very) short list... so again, thanks.

I look forward to hearing more of your "adventure".

God bless and be safe! ~Bigdubber

New to the business

I concur with those before... so just remain positive and keep your eye on the goal, be confident in yourself, and things will just fall into place (eventually! rofl-2.gif ).

Good luck and keep us "posted"! good-luck.gif

God bless and be safe! ~Bigdubber

Crete: Night Before Day 1

Hey TruckingTruth,

Well the time has officially come. I am at the company provided motel room, and ready to begin orientation/training tomorrow. I am in a private room with a king size bed, wifi, microwave, mini fridge, coffee pot, safe, tv, and desk. I am very pleased with the stay. I will be here for 3-4 days before leaving out with a trainer for 8 weeks worth of training. I am also provided meals during my stay. I will receive 3-4 days hometime halfway through training. I will update you on the process of day 1 and what it consists of tomorrow. I will also be writing about my experiences in the CDL Training Diaries forum. Please follow along! I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have.

dancing-banana.gifdancing.gif Congrats and sounds good so far! I look forward to following your "progress".

God bless and be safe! ~Bigdubber

Update from Corporal Clegg

Hi guys, Its been a while. Very different looking forum. `

Anyway I thought I would post an update. I have very much enjoyed being a trainer since I started that. I have met some very interesting people. Mostly all good. All of my trainees so far have been easy to get along with. It is cool watching someone who has struggled and then it finally clicks and they get it.

My lease at Stevens is coming to an end and I have been giving a lot of thought over the last few months as to what I want to do next. Should I lease again? Should I stay at Stevens or move on? Where do i want to be in say ... 5 years? How will I get there?

Leasing at Stevens I really had 2 goals and I reached them both. First I wanted to make more money than I would have had I stayed Company and I have by quite a bit. Second I wanted to learn as much as I could about running a truck as a business and I feel I have accomplished that as well. It has been a challenge at times but overall it has been a rewarding experience.

So we come to the "now" and after doing lots of research and talking it over with my wife I have decided not to lease again, but instead I am going to purchase a truck from Stevens and Im going to stay there for at least the next 2 years.

Im buying a 2010 KW T2000, Cummins ISX 15 / 450HP, 13 speed Eaton Fuller. Its funny to me that Im going back to the very first truck I started out in at Stevens, only it had a Cat Engine. I am very much looking forward to overcoming the challenges ahead and I fully expect to be even more profitable than before. Some will scoff at this idea, and that is fine. I have a very well laid out plan for getting through the next 5 years. Im sure there will be bumps and maybe even a few detours from that path but ultimately I will accomplish what I have set out before me.

Good luck to you all and hello to my old friends on here.

Firstly, I tip my hat to you (and anyone) for doing the "trainer" thing... it takes a "special kind" to be able to do that (and do the trainee right!)

Secondly, no "scoffing" from me... again, I tip my hat to ya for doing the lease thing. For the record, it really irks me to no end when a "fellow trucker" will (and it is found abundantly in various "forums") resort to "name calling" and worse to those that go into the lease program. I haven't and won't deny them the right to their "opinion", as human beings it is everyone's right to have one. BUT, that is all it is, really, THEIR opinion. Leasing is like so many other "choices" in life, it will work for some, and it won't for others. There is NOTHING wrong with that. To "name call" and worse, is unbecoming of a "fellow trucker" and they ought to be ashamed of themselves, and all it does is give "truck drivers" a bad light in those "on the outside looking in".

I pray you the best in your "new chapter" in life.

I hope you will find the time to keep "us" informed of how your "new chapter" goes.

God bless and keep safe. ~Bigdubber

Swift

... And if the top bunk has a restraint system, your'll probably sleep there while your trainer drives.

I was under the impression that sleeping in the top bunk while the truck is moving was "illegal"... am I misinformed? confused.gif

What is it??

IMG_2590.jpg

What is the round object on the right side of the frame??

My guess is that has something to do with the "DEF"... but I like the idea of the canister for a "turkey frier!!" rofl-2.gif

Swift training

E.M. thanks so much for sharing your day to day "adventure". Posts such as this is so very helpful for those of "us" on the outside looking in. thank-you-2.gif

I am one that is seriously considering applying to Swift, so it is so encouraging and refreshing to read of your experiences, (there is so much negative things to be found, not just with Swift but most companies on the net it gets frustrating and discouraging!) I really appreciate you taking the time to share "what it's really like". thank-you-2.gif

My sincere CONGRATS on your swift (pun intended! rofl-1.gif ) learning the new "life style". Rooting for you! dancing-banana.gif

God bless and be safe!