Profile For worrywort

worrywort's Info

GA

Preparing For School

4 years, 4 months ago

worrywort's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Fear/anxiety with the big rigs

Hi - Im not even in school yet, but from what I've seen here, I guess everyone has their fears, me as well and I'm working on being more positive and realistic about stuff instead of my negative thoughts turning into a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm afraid of jackknifing one day, but if I constantly worry about that I may some day do the thing I've been thinking about (bad thoughts lead to bad feelings lead to bad actions I guess...) then I'll never get anywhere.

Hi all, I am comfortable driving straight trucks, but for some reason, the big rigs scare me. My fears are specific: getting a red light ticket after the "point of no return" has been reached when the traffic light turns yellow. I also have the fear of truck scales: the cops giving me (and every other driver) the close look, to see what they can write the driver up for. I also have fear of, say, a tire blowing that could cause an accident in which another person (or myself) could be killed or badly injured. The shrinks might call this "social anxiety" or "situational anxiety", or "fear of humiliation" (with cops writing me up), I'm not sure. Surely many of you have had these fears/anxieties as well. Please let me know how you dealt with those thoughts and feelings. Thanks very much.

Another worry of mine...jackknifing

I really wish I could just reach through my computer screen and get a group hug going...thank you tons for the support and encouragement to you all. I'll def. let yall know how tgings are going...*back to lurking* 😜

Help me wrap my head around the decision to become a truck driver

I was in IT - I never want to go back, as most IT people I've met at jobs have their head up their bums. I don't care about pay - I want to do something that I'll enjoy rather than going to the same place every day, stuck behind a desk.

Do I wish I could get another job in IT? Somewhat, but I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as being OTR - I'm looking forward to driving, and if I don't at least try, I'll have never known if it was worth leaving IT or not (I'm assuming it is, though!).

Another worry of mine...jackknifing

Thanks yall - ill refer to this thread often to keep me psyched (hopefully!).

What yall do while at the docks?

Thanks yall, all good replies - for me - ill probably be goofing off and reading stuff, hopefully!

What yall do while at the docks?

What do yall do, waiting at the docks?

Another worry of mine...jackknifing

Go to section on combination vehicles on the high road test. Here i am, cruisin along, thinking ill ace the cdl exam one day (thanks to truckingtruth), and then i started reading about jackknifes. (JackkniVES?)

You probably know where im going with this worry! Im scared to death (as you guys mentioned in my other thread, that fear is a good thing!) ill try to keep that fear, but still remain confident. Makes me almost want to go back into IT, though. 😜

Had a near miss during a storm

Glad you're ok, OP!

Trouble understanding GVW and GCW

Gross vehicle weight (GVW) - Total weight of a single vehicle plus its load.

Gross combination weight (GCW) - Total weight of a powered unit plus trailer(s) plus the cargo.

Okay guys...What is a 'powered unit'? Is it the same as the 'single vehicle' from the term GVW?

Backtracking...thinking of calling a bunch of pilot car companies to see if they're hiring...best advice?

Thank you for that insight. Yeeeeeaaah - I think I'm gonna stick with my original plan to be a trucker - seems like it would be a lot more fun anyway.

Pilot cars are not as easy as it looks. This week we had to shut down 3 lanes for me to make my turn. Well my pilot pulls out and stops in the center lane and holds out a stop sign. Cars blew right by him and I almost got the damn thing with my trailer. I chew him out pretty good for that and told him next time you put that truck in the lane, you have to block it or people will just blow by.

Now picture this, and the reason I almost got that car with my trailer. I pull a steerable beam trailer with a remote in the cab with me. We stop in the right lane and start the motor on the trailer and then as I move forward I steer the trailer to the left. So it ends up with my truck in the right lane and the trailer 2 lanes over to the left.

I told the pilot the next day, I have the right two lanes, you take care of that third lane until I get into it. Unless they want a convertible they are not getting past me... LOL

It is a lot of responsibility to be a pilot car. You not only have to inform the truck what is going on behind them, you have to be alert and ready to protect the load by putting your car in the way. There will be a lot of close calls. You will have to cut people off at times. If the driver turns on their blinker you better notice it so that you can grab that other lane for him/her.

Most states require a certification. There is a lot more equipment than a truck and a few signs with flashing lights that you will need. Georgia and Nevada you will have to get amber light permits.

Not that it is overly difficult, but there is a lot to know and every state is different. Going out on your own with no experience is a recipe for a complete failure.

Look at it from the driver's point of view. In the end it all falls on the shoulders of the driver for whatever happens. If you were the driver would you trust a pilot with absolutely zero experience? Most would just fire you on the spot and call someone else. Then there are those pilots that show up late or are not ready to go when the driver is ready... i.e. they still need to get fuel or pee.

Oversize loads are daylight runs for the most part and as daylight hours get shorter in the winter there is no time to waste waiting for a pilot.

Thanks, I get that feeling to. When I looked this stuff up on google, wow - it's like everyone and their grandma/neighbor/cat/dog wants to be a pilot driver.

I love traveling, I could drive for hours. I still want to become a truck driver, but sometimes thinking of driving those rigs puts a little fear in me.

Something that came to mind today was pilot car driving. "Hey, I could definitely do that!", I thought.

So - Is the lifestyle not as glamorous as it seems? How do I become a pilot car driver? I may need to start my own business, but I can't get approved for a business loan. I've gone crazy the last two hours emailing a few companies and reading up on what it takes to be a pilot car driver.

How difficult would it be if I started my own business (oddly enough, I got approved for a car loan at a Nissan dealership, so I could go there and buy a good truck or something) to get a job contracting myself out?

A little fear is not a bad thing. It will help make you a safer driver. Paralyzing fear is a different matter. I would suggest going the truck driving route.

From what I understand about the pilot car business they tend to employ truckers that have quit driving for one reason or another, or sometimes if it's a small company they will use a driver's wife or other driver's from the company. It looked pretty hard to get into because that is what I was going to do to get work history before I was able to get my cdl.

I asked a forum before this site, and when I got idiotic replies I took my question to the only place I know that would give me an honest answer, here.

I think I'm gonna change my name from bean to fence sitter.

8 mph? Lol

Anyway, thank you sir.

I think you are on the wrong site for your question. However why pilot car? Why not truck driving? I understand having fear, but once you get in one of these rigs you won't be able to drive a 4 wheeler again. Just something amazing about driving a rig.

I only have 1 month of driving experience so I understand your fear. Shoot I almost quit when we learned how to shift. And for the record shifting with no throttle may get you up to 8mph haha. It's funny to think I went from being scared to barely move at all to driving in LA traffic. I would encourage you to look into it some more, but if the fear is too much than by all means don't do it.

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

Thank you both G-Town and Errol V - y'all make me feel good about heading to school!

I don't take any meds that fall under that category - should I still try and get a doctors approval? I can walk in to the doctor's on Mondays and Wednesday's, so I don't think I need to tell the school - but to me that seems a bit dishonest...but still, I mean, I'm alert on meds, they don't bother my driving nor do the meds have any kind of "do not take if you're operating heavy machinery", etc..

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

Thank you also firemedic2816. I've noticed that, too, about things on the internet...it must be the name of the game!

The Internet is FULL of USEFUL accurate information (if it's online it HAS to be true LOL) I don't know much about Swift except for they are one of THE LARGEST carriers in the United States and you don't get that way by being a BAD Company. If you want to know about a COMPANY Call THEM or ask drivers on here....When I was researching for a company to go to, I went to the local truck stops (there are about 8 with in 10 miles of my house) I simply researched them online, and when I found one I liked I headed to the truck stops. I would see them in the Restaurants and politely tell them my intentions and ask if I could pick their brain about their company for a moment. The ones that agreed to let me pick their brains, ended up getting the tab picked up by me. I learned a lot about different companies BY ASKING DRIVERS....Recruiters are there to get Tails in the driver seat, (many are honest, other's are just trying to make a dollar)

Don't trust EVERYTHING you read ON LINE....Put some miles on them shoes and ASK PEOPLE

I'm getting down to it. Well, almost. The bug has bitten me and I'm about ready to start applying, and I've narrowed the list down to either Roehl or Central. I'm looking for something with zero payment down, which I know is hard to find, but it's all I can afford right now. Only question is - I'm on medication (Prozak)...Will that blow my chances at becoming a driver?

I know Roehl requires you to take the CDL exam before applying, I've been through their site, watched the videos, yadda yadda.

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

Thank you G-Town and Brett, good info!

The family I'm talking about is *mainly* my dad, who is pessimistic about me getting into trucking, since I'm on "crazy" (my term) pills (he is sure that I won't be able to get a job, and that it would be hard to schedule appointments for getting prescriptions, etc.). Other than that, he's okay with it - he doesn't like the idea of me traveling to Missouri, though, but jesus h. christmas, I'm 34.

Anyway, I'm studying like a madman here on truckingtruth.

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

Thanks Errol V.

Where is Swifts training hq? I suspect it's Utah since Central was based there.

Oh yeah, Prime won't let me take my own vehicle to travel to Missouri, I have to ride the Greyhound. D'oh! The recruiter told me that there aren't enough parking spaces at the hotel and hq to be able to park my own vehicle. If I go with Prime, does anyone know if theres parking somewhere nearby and then just be able to walk to the hotel/hq?

Seriously considering Swift right now, though.

Does Swift allow travel to their training hq in your own car? Does Swift put you in a hotel? Also, how long before my first paycheck?

My fam just needs to suck it up...

Bean, you are forgiven. Swift is a great company, and could be the second choice if Prime doesn't with out.

"Friends" are advising me against traveling all the way to Missouri. I'm trying hard not to listen to them. I would miss them tremendously, and the recruiter asked me if I and my family are prepared for me leaving, to which I said yes, which was kind of a lie

Missouri if OK. I spent a week there once last year. No problems!

No matter where you go for school, plan to be gone for several months. You get school (4 weeks), then road training (4+ weeks) and then, hopefully, your own truck. Now Prime may let you get home in between those sections, so ask your recruiter about that.

Of course, if you're going OTR you will be driving as long as two weeks to a month between home visits.

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

Guys - I'm very sorry. I wasn't thinking, and y'all are right - Swift came up on some truck review site on Google. I've got a headache and I'm smh for bad mouthing. And, thank you for not throwing me to the wolves. (I'm trying my best not to come across as sarcastic, it's my attitude, I think.)

Well...I'm not sure who I'll go with training-wise - but - my application was approved on Monday to start for Prime in Jefferson, Missouri. A few of my friends and family, (okay, just one friend and two family members), are advising me against traveling all the way to Missouri. I'm trying hard not to listen to them. I would miss them tremendously, and the recruiter asked me if I and my family are prepared for me leaving, to which I said yes, which was kind of a lie. Ugh...

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

Thank you, God bless. I found the info on Central on here and felt it was the perfect company!

Look here, Paid CDL Training Programs. You have other options.

Looking at Central or Roehl...also a medication question, thank you

I made this post without looking up Central. When I did and found it listed under Swift, I thought "Nope!" because I've "heard" things about Swift on here, though I will pass judgement for now. I called Prime. They approved my application, though my meds are going to be an issue. I really don't know what I'm going to do, right now. I'm thinking of joining the IBEW, too, but I can't seem to make my mind up.

Nice truck!

When you say "Central" if you're referring to "Central Refridgerated", that's Swift. They bought those guys a few years ago. I hauled Central trailers all through my Swift mentorship.

The trailers still say "Central Refridgerated". I've seen 2 or 3 (older) trucks that do too.