Comments By Stump

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-driver-safety.jpg avatar
  • Stump
  • Comments:

Few tips for winter

1. Buy a big bag of kitty litter and keep it in your truck it can help you when the roads are bad when you pull in a spot for the night stop just before the end of the parking spot stop put some kitty litter where your drive tires will be at then back on top of the kitty litter and it will help you when you get ready to pull out 2. Learn to putt chains on before the roads get bad it will save you time if you know how to put them on and when you hit bad weather and your out in the cold trying to learn and the chains keep slinging off it sucks learn this one the hard way 3. Try to drive in day light hours Hope is this helps and if anyone can add to this I am sure it will help us all

Ticket

I don't know if a lot of people know this but sometimes if you go to court on it ask the judge if you pay the ticket in full at once if he will keep it off your record or get a lawyer but I have talked to the judge and it was agreed if I paid in full he kept it off my record

Taking a shower on the road

You have ten hours you have to stop not driving so you stop for the night are you gonna sleep for the hole ten ? I don't so sleep 8 you have 2 hours to do pretty much what you want you say it takes you bout 45 mins to shower make up and what not then you have an hour and 15 to do paperwork eat or whatever

Does anyone know bout hazmat requirements

My good friend Stump, how are you doing sir?

Here's what you must do. Before you can even get your hazmat you need to apply for it. The TSA background check will let you know if you qualify. If you apply and get approved then you're good to go. But they'll be the judge.

Prior to seeking or renewing the Hazardous Materials Endorsement, you must complete the application for the fingerprint and security background checks. Call 877-429-7746 or visit http://hazprints.tsa.dhs.gov to complete the application process and make an appointment at a convenient location. The fee must be paid at the time of application.

I am doing pretty good I just quit my first driving job the company kept telling me one thing and doing another and payday is fri and here it is Monday he still has not paid me all of my check and it's been like that for the month I have been driving for him but the good news is my cousin is putting 3 of his trucks on with a company and he offered me a job so I hope it will work out and I am gonna do the background check for the hazmat and just hope for the best thanks for the help

Does anyone know bout hazmat requirements

I have 1 felony of organized crime from like 1998 another one in 2011 for assault both I did prison time I have my Cdl I would really like to know if it's possible for me to get my hazmat I have done some research on it and it looks like I might have a chance if anyone can help it would be a big help thanks

I'm kinda curious as to this organized crime charge... I'm not judging or anything but that's a big charge and would love to hear/read the details... Not to make of course but I don't know but I'm curious.... But totally up to you though.

When I was 17 me and two other friends broke into a house well I didn't go in the house but I was there and didn't try to stop it so I was just as guilty when they put us in jail the charge was burglary of a habitat but they dropped that charge and gave us the organized crime because there was 3 or more people involved they said it was organized if I had the money I could have had the charge dropped to a lesser crime but I grew up poor

Does anyone know bout hazmat requirements

What made you take on truck driving?

For me it's because I use to remember when my dad would pull up in his bright and shiny peterbilt and knowing that summer was here and I knew that I would get to be with my dad in that truck all summer long and I loved everything bout being on the road so I was burned out doing what I was doing so I said I am going to do what I know I would be good at and loved it as a kid and I am still a rookie been running for 3 weeks had some hard times in this 3 weeks but out of 8 drivers I have became the go to guy got a raise I love it all since my dad passed in 2008 I get to just ride and think of the times we had when I was a kid the old times say once you get the Diesel in ur veins u can never get it out I think I was born with in mine

Advice on maneuvering long nose pete

I am new also but I was in a long nose pete and now I am in a frightliner and I had a easier time in the pete peterbilts don't turn as sharp so you have to make ur turn wider and go deeper before you start ur turn if I am making sense I am sure some more guys can help you more and I hope I helped a little

Just passed my cdls. Didnt go to school

I didn't go to school I got on with a brand new company in my area but none of the big companies would take me so it can be done it just takes a lot of work on ur part to find the one that will take you good luck

Steep Downgrades? - Prime Inc TNT

I am a rookie and I tell you I do it how you are doing I feel safe doing like that and I don't care if other truckers get mad cause am going slow and the end of the day I want to be a live so I say ur doing it rt because ur doing what feels safe for you and I have went from tex to cal so I got a taste of them keep doing what feels safe good luck

Hoping to get a little advice. ..

I had family teach me and I have to learn as I go sometimes I wish I would have went to school to learn more but it can be done either way some companies won't hire u if u didn't go to school

I need cb help

Thanks I got it down to 1 swr my antenna was not grounded so thanks to a cb shop in Amarillo tx at exit 75 fixed it up for me for free thanks for ur help

I need cb help

I have a Connex 33 and can't get my swr down below 3 and 4 I moved the antenna to behind my sleeper ran a ground from the batt to the antenna I have paid a lot of money trying to get it rt so I don't mess up my new cb all the cb shops around won't mess with it or what 75 an hour please help

Learning as I go

Since I didn't go to a school to learn this trade I have been learning as I go a hard lesson this last week was I had a run to ca I was so tired when I got to the place to load that I told them I was gonna sleep til they are done well being half asleep and not knowing how this load needed to be loaded when asked how do I want it loaded I told them I don't care big mistake he put it all on the nose of my trailer so after talking to a family member I found out I was to heavy on my steer and drive tires so what did I have to do to get legal unload 4 pallets by hand and move them to the rear of the trailer but the good part bout this was I learned what to do so this won't happen again

Job offer

I am new to trucking but I have a family member who owns his own company and he was only going to pay me 20 percent and a friend of mine offered me the same deal to me it seems like a lot to give up when he has to make truck payments insurance and so much more to keep a truck on the road I hope it's as good as he says it is

Tx Pretrip written

I just got my cdl in tx and you do have to take a written on study your book and you will pass it

I need help

Thanks old school one felony is from 2008 and the other one is from 2011 it's a good idea I ll talk to the owner and see what he says it's a small company just getting started but he seemed like good people thanks again

I need help

I have just got my cdl but I have had my permit for rt around a year I have a small company willing to give my a chance to go solo rt now I can drive pretty good and have drove in two major cities my backing still needs work but I can get by without hitting anything just takes me a few tries at it and I ok be drop and hook but the runs will be a lot to LA and other very large cities but I am not for sure if I am really ready to be out on my own I don't want to tear up anything or worse kill someone or lose my cdl by not being ready but with two felonies I don't have a lot of compines willing to give me a chance maybe if I had someone drive team with me I would feel better til I felt ready should I take this job or keep looking

Getting it done

I started working on getting cdl with a family member who owns a small company in nov.2014 but it didn't work out so I went a diff path still learned on my own by reading a lot on this site I was able to pass the written test here in tex today with no worries now it's time for the road test I ll will be renting a truck for this I know I have a long road because I have two felonies but hard work and never giving up my dream will come true soon thank you trucking truth

I have a few ? Maybe I can get help with

I have 2 felonies on my record one from 1998 the other one is from 2011 it's hard to find compines that will take me and train me I have my permit I have been learning how to drive a truck with Frds and family I am I wasting my time cause no one will want me 2nd ? My first year bout how much money can I make I have been told diffrent anounts I will make