Profile For Scott L. aka Lawdog

Scott L. aka Lawdog's Info

Thatcher, UT

Rookie Solo Driver

3 years ago

Scott L. aka Lawdog's Bio

In my early 40s, served in the Navy and worked for Navy as a contractor until recent laid off as result of budget cuts. Relocated to UT in April. Attended BATC, in Logan and earned my CDL.

I began driving for my first trucking employer at the end of July. I am in the process of switching employers. The company I am driving for is not the one I hard researched for over two years. I had learned during orientation that the company was purchased by a much larger company and as a result the drivers are not being taken care.

I am switching to flatbed from van.

If you have any questions about my experiences don't hesitate to email me lawdog71@mail.com

Posted:  7 months ago

Automatic truck

Adam - don't stress the manual/auto thing.....I did. Been in 2 auto-manuals in just over 16 mo. Good to lean the auto, cause ya just "never know". You want to learn all ya can about the "truck" so worrying about auto vice manual is just not a sane "train of though". Lean in a manual so when you are in an auto-manual and driving on slick/icy/snowy roads (which you will) you'll get a better feel of when to up-down....shift in manual mode for those conditions.

Posted:  7 months ago

Terminated for Unsafe driving

Every one of these three replies is right on the "money", when I started out just over 16months ago....everyone on the road was my "enemy". G.O.A.L. is the key when going in reverse and slow & steady (like in the navy) is the key when going forward.

~scott

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Military Trucking Time

Do Companies see your Military Truck Driving time as years of experience in the civilian sector?

No sir, sorry they do not. Although that should prove beneficial during schooling and training.

G-Town is incorrect. Check out KoldTrans based out of SLC (http://koldtrans.com/recruiting/veteran-program/)

Kold Trans is now offering Top-Pay and Great Benefits to our U.S. Veterans: U.S. Veterans will earn up to .2 CPM above your scheduled pay with an Honorable Discharge (DD214) Excused time off for weekend drill and annual training (no vacation time required) Monthly “Veteran of the Month” recognition in company publications. Each new veteran hire will receive a hat/shirt and a special decal for their truck that recognizes them as an “Honored Veteran”.

Though I don't drive for them, I'm on a dedicated with Werner and using my Post 9/11 earning my "education benefits" whilst earning my company pay on top.

Good Luck Dude!

~scott

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Start orientation on Friday at Werner

Thank you, Scott L. aka Lawdog and miracleofmagick for your reply to my post. I was push back from orientation until Monday. I am having orientation at the Fontana location.

Jordan -

Sorry for late reply been running my butt-off, home on my reset right now. CWM=CQM. Once a quarter Werner has their drivers perform SIM and CQMs. I know at Denver terminal they have a designated area in drop area that cones are setup on. Anytime you are in the yard you can practice all ya want, and/or Safety will have you do it.

Are you going OTR? Or dedicated?

~scott

Posted:  1 year, 3 months ago

Start orientation on Friday at Werner

I start orientation on Friday at Werner and very nervous about it because have not driven a truck in over a month. I am not sure what to expect at orientation and that I am a new driver.

Hey Driver-

I drive for Werner now on a dedicated account out of St George. I really like it cause I get home weekly to do my reset. They have taken care of me, have a few months under my belt before I switched over to them. On top my CPM, unload and stop pays I get my Post 9/11 GI Bill. They also gave my a brand-new Cascadia. Where are you doing your orientation? Just like any other "training evolution" if things are not going right with your trainer request a new one, if he/she is not showing you the ropes and helping you out....get a new one.

Werner has Simulators and CWM (Close Quarter Maneuvers) so if your skills arent up to par ask for training.

^scott

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Any feedback on the Rand McNally TND tablet GPS?

I use the TND 530, after trying to other devices. Found the TND to be extremely accurate. I tether it to my phone so I can get current and forcasted weather conditions along with traffic conditions on route. It is mostly right on track with the QC. I purchased my TND on Amazon for a much better deal than a truck stop.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Backing Exercise - How would you backup to this door?

Apologize for slow reply to your replies been busy running this dedicated. I slid my tandems but not forward enough. The other thing I failed to mention was there was snow piles 7-10' high all around. Blind side wasn't possible, I had to "shimy" around the building just to leave. I thought about moving my sliding 5th wheel forward to but I have a roller rack attached to my frame and knew I would have an issue.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Backing Exercise - How would you backup to this door?

To left of the big electrical box there is also concrete retaining walls (where dumpsters should go) so it was impossible to move any closer to the fence. Also about two feet on each side of the stairs there are are barrier poles.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Backing Exercise - How would you backup to this door?

This is from a recent Dollar Tree drop I had, I ended up in a complete "jack-knife" position over the curb (next to electrical box)....here is a pic from google and some notes, also the address is: 148 E University Pkwy, Orem, UT 84058

There was one thing I didn't do, but only realized it after that fact.

Note: Photo and Link buttons not working properly....link below for JPEG with Notes:

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Utah: flatbed truck runs a state snowplow off the road

I had just passed that area in Spanish Fork about 15 mins before the incident.....it seems that experienced drivers and four-wheelers drive grossly negligent in that area. We've been hit with several storms and my DC is in St George with that thawing and freezing there is ice under that snow (esp in the hammer lane). I never ever ever pass snow plow./scott

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Mountains and Winter Driving

Jim -

The best decision(s) you will ever make is the "safe decision(s)", I've had my CDL now for just over 6 months. The company I am driving for had my orientation in Denver and deadheaded from there to St George. Low & behold I was routed on I70 over Vail and they were getting a good snowfall. Didn't have to chain-up until halfway-up the mountain. Though I learned about chaining in CDL skewl and also during orientation, I asked another driver to help me out and he did. We only put one set on my drives and took less than 15 mins. I was issued cables and the driver loaned me a spare set of his chains, followed him up the pass, removed his chains and I gave him $20 bucks. It was a great experience, I didn't let fear overcome me, took it nice and slow and "followed the leader."

Recently I've experienced a great deal of weather driving loads between UT-NV-ID. This last storm, I only made it about 58 mi north of ST George and stopped because the weax was grossly unsafe to drive in. The school I earned my CDL from I feel prepared me for driving in rough weather, but I know that when it is unsafe to drive I will pull into a safe area and let my dispatch know.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is more important that the life of a driver and the lives of others out on the road. I saw so many semis and 4-wheeler skid-outs and crashes in the last month that SAFETY is my #1 goal.

Be safe dude!/scott

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Finally figured out what was slowing me down

Here is something to consider... The GPS calculates your time by the actual speed limit posted in the areas. So if you are going by the time on your GPS and you seem to be loosing time consider that you can't run the speed limit and your time will be a little different.

Unless you can set "max speed" on your GPS device, such as one I use. I have mine set at 53mph and it's ETA is almost spot-on....except of course when I'm driving thru LA. It has been within 15min +/- of my actual arrival. My GPS has live traffic update.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Snowing....and now scared

I drive an automatic, and when I had questions about how the manual shifting worked a few weeks ago, a guy in the shop at one of our terminals told me it was disabled. That's part of what worries me. I won't be able to hold the truck in a certain gear going downhill.

Okay. Even so, follow the same steps I suggested. Go slow and if need be use your four ways to warn others behind you.

I drove thru first snow in Montana a couple weeks ago, and yeah it was pretty freaky for me. I turned my radio down, CB up a little (to hear the conditions ahead), rolled down my window a little and slowed down some. I realized I was tightening grip on steering wheel and just loosed grip a little and took some deep breaths and relaxed some. Was going around curves and up & down grades and when I got passed it realized how difficult it really wasn't. Didn't have worry much about traffic, just keep in mind when you are going about 10 or more mph below speed limit, reduced visibility, traffic slowing, and/or worsening road conditions put on your hazards.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Can you help me find a company?

Check out Schneider.

~scott

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Oh my gosh what else can go wrong??

I recently took 40K pallets of talc from Southern Montana to Oregon, via Helena (had to get some work done on my truck and light replaced on trailer). After I got out of the shop I checked the load, glad I did. The last two pallets had shifted enough that our yard workers moved the pallets where they were supposed too. I used three straps, two cross-ways and one on the bottom-across, when I got to the receiver and opened my doors the pallets didn't shift an inch. The receiver even said they haven't seen a good secure job like that in while.

My new (and still new) practice is, that if the load isn't already sealed, I'll strap the load down and if it is a live unload I'll put my straps on then put the shipper's seal on. If it is a drop, I'll put one of our seals on after I secure the load, and when I get to the drop I'll take our seal off and put the receiver's on, drop the load and leave.

^scott

p.s. securing load reminds me of securing for sea in my Navy dayz.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Alley docking...so confused

As Kurt said: G.O.A.L. even if you have to get out after every maneuver, remember it takes ~10ft for your trailer to completely react to your steering maneuvers. I found that when I was doing my alley dock, if I kept my rear-driverside-trailer within one shoe length of the cone and front of trailer within 10-15deg angle (~1 o'clock), then counter-steer and chase-push the trailer I made it in everytime....I would always do a pullup to straighten out no matter how it was in the "box"....the drivers on here will tell ya in the real-world good setup, GOAL and pull-ups are the keys.

^scott

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

What tests do I need to take to get my class A?

So I was wondering what tests do I need to take to get my class A I have a class B with air brakes, but now I need a class A.

General Knowledge Air Brakes Combination

These are the only three you need for basic CDL A.

^scott

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

Stalled in 3rd gear while start if green light.

Also sounds like you are in too high of a gear. Is it an 8 or 10 speed? Try starting out in 1 gear lower.

When I first started, our instructor had us from a complete stop to start in 3rd and also in 2nd (with a loaded trailer). I too would stall it while in 3rd but every single time would be good in 2nd. Then a couple weeks later I tried the exercise again and was able to from a complete stop in 3rd but it took more finesse of my R's to go.

^scott

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

My experience so far in truck driver training

They do 3rd Party testing here also. Just got a call about an hour ago, got to do my pre-employment drug screen and start orientation next week

Good Luck to you also!

^scott

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

STUDENT DRIVER COMPANY VS COMMUNITY COLLEGE ADVICE

Good afternoon,

I know a lot of you may have already seen this type of question posted often but wanted to ask a few specifics and get some advice about my situation. So I'm looking to get into the trucking business and want to do OTR specifically tanker if possible. I don't have any experience as far as driving tractor trailer but I have 2 years experience having a CDL B driving para-transit for the state of Delaware from 07-09. I now live in NC and have been eyeing JCC trucking school in Smithfield as they only cost $1100 not that bad from what I've been seeing otherwise, only problem is I would have to leave my current job and be without income during the 2 months of training, or do I go to a student driver company and if so which one would one suggests? Its pretty hard from what I've bee reading to not pick a pretty crappy one. Please guys any input is welcomed thanks a mill in advanced. Also some other things to note is this

1. I already have my CDL A permit 2. I already have my DOT physical card good until May 2018 3. I am single no one living with me 4. I WANT to do OTR and don't mind being out as long as im paid fairly for.

Dude I checked their website and they have night classes/training: http://www.johnstoncc.edu/programs/transportation-systems/truck-driver-training/schedule.aspx

That should help you to stay employed whilst going thru school? Granted it a month longer but gives you more time to prepare for the career and life change.

^scott