Profile For Auggie69

Auggie69's Info

NC

Rookie Solo Driver

6 years, 4 months ago

Auggie69's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Auggie69's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  6 days, 22 hours ago

Looking to get in late

DOT loves to pull over hot shots

I've got some questions, I've just begun my research. I am already a small business owner. I have been working as a small flooring contractor/installer for 35 years. I have worked for myself my entire life since I got out of the service. The physical demands of flooring are beginning to wear me out as I am near 60 years old. I am looking to start hotshotting as my next career. I want to be realistic though about what type of money is possible. I don't mind being on the road for stretches, however I really have no interest in taking a job as a driver for someone else, having control over my own schedule at this point in my life is more important than the $$ I make. Is this a path that I might expect to make $40k-80k doing less than a full schedule? I generally work now about 4 days a week 10 months a year and am not looking to significantly increase my workload. Hard work does not frighten me the flooring installation business is brutally physical. I just don't want to invest money in equipment only to find out I can't make money. My CDL can be paid for by the VA at our local college, but I don't see myself driving a big tractor ever. I'm not even certain a CDL would be something I need. Is this something I could do on almost a part-time basis or would operating costs require that truck run as much as possible?

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

My dog was hit by a car

Something to think about is pet insurance. I have never looked into this, but I know there is such a thing.

Funny you should ask. Got this in my email today. Cut and paste, yada, yada.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Who is only testing urine in 2021?

Hey, y’all. Got out of trucking for a couple years, about to get back into it. Smoked some pot at an end of summer barbecue in August so a hair test is a no go for me until late November at earliest. Who is for sure not doing hair test as of right now? Those of you who are going to lecture me, feel free, but I’m not interested. I’m not a regular drug user by any stretch of the imagination and if that’s not good enough for you, then this question isn’t aimed at you.

Admit the screwup and go get a job driving a forklift for a few months. Then apply. Sorry but measuring hair samples and wondering who does what is trying to game the system.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Florida CDL Permit Questions

Hi, I have a few questions regarding obtaining a Florida CDL Permit. I have been trying to contact the Florida CDL customer support for days now and I cannot get a hold of anyone. I am temporarily residing in Arizona, however, my permanent residence is in Florida. I do not have a home in Florida and the only ties I have to Florida are my driver's license, my license plates for my vehicles, my car registration, my car insurance, a bank account with a credit union that is only in Florida, and a Florida mailbox. Will any of this suffice as proof of residency? If not, do you have any advice? FYI: I do not have any ties to Arizona, I am staying at an Air BNB and I do not pay utilities. However, I do have a mailbox attached to the place I am staying. My next question is; can I take the Florida CDL permit test online at home or somewhere here in Arizona instead of flying back to Florida to take the test? I really appreciate your time and help in advance.

Thank you! :)

Call the registrar where this address is and see if you can register to vote. I would say if you can, and you register, you can still consider yourself a FL resident.

Doesn't matter where all your stuff is registered, it depends on where you WANT to make your residence.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

CDL Training - homeowner / builder, No Job

Hi, I'm a recently retired homeowner / builder, I just bought an excavator and dump truck to develop my own property. I don't intend to become a professional truck driver or go into the construction business, but I will need to obtain a CDL to drive my truck. I'll also mention I live in Juneau, Alaska... I'm looking at CDL training programs, both online resources and schools. There is CDL training available right here in Juneau, but it's expensive.

Given my limited interest and needs, I'm thinking about using an inexpensive private CDL school to obtain the hands on training (after obtaining my CLP, using online studies). As I don't intend to pursue a commercial driving career, I don't see company-sponsored training as an option. Any advice from Those Who Know Better, would this be the right move for me?

Going beyond the CDL training, we all know what will happen... friends and acquaintances will eventually ask me to bring my equipment to help them out with their projects. Another aspect of this venture has occurred to me... whether I should get a LLC business license? If I eventually want to accept small jobs, hauling and dumping stuff, maybe even doing some excavation work, I would certainly want to be compensated for time and use of my equipment, and also limit my liability. Is this something I need to be considering ahead of time, or can I just focus on my own stuff for now and worry about it later?

Thanks for any advice, Woody

Can you use the farm exemption and not bother to get a CDL?

Posted:  2 weeks ago

26' box truck

Thinking of buying a box truck. Need help deciding which is the better truck/engine. Hino, international or freightliner etc. I'm new to the industry, any suggestions would be helpful,thanks.

Fedex Freight is hiring Class B drivers at numerous terminals right now. Go get hired and figure out if that's what you really want to do with your own truck

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Will You Take The Jab?

Just wondering if this mandate on companies with over 100 employees is going to put truckers in a position to get vaccinated or lose their jobs ?????

If so are you going to take the “jab!” ?

I was in the hospital this past March for something unrelated to Covid. On my discharge they asked me if I wanted the J&J shot. I told them, what the hell. I'm sure I've been poked with worst being in the Army for 15 years.

Got poked and no issues.

Make your own decisions.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Paths To Making GOOD money as a truck driver?

I forgot to say because I am single with no kids I get corn holed by Uncle Sam and the great state of Illinois to the tune of around $600 a week.

You and me both. Gross $2100 minus $600 taxes. MD can KMA next year . Moving to FL

Figuring LTL is easy. Our longest run is 660 miles a day. Those drivers are home every night. So 660 miles X 5 days is $2310 a week NOT including task pay every day

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Ordained Minister and Trucking

Here is my dilemma, I am an ordained minister, but I am sick of medial jobs that I cannot make a career out of. I have wanted to drive a truck for as long as I can remember, but have always been talked out of it. The problem lay in that I cannot be a pastor and a truck driver without being home daily. I cannot start out with a local route as most are OTR for the first year or so.

I need help on what to do. If I could get a job where I am off on the weekends that would work, but I doubt those are available to someone who has to go through a company to get his CDL.

Solves your problem. You get trained for free and a local job, home every night

Home every night

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Ordained Minister and Trucking

Solves your problem. You get trained for free and a local job, home every night

Posted:  3 months ago

A couple of questions from a newbie

Ok so I told him I’m not gonna do any stupid stuff anymore cause I don’t wanna lose my license or go to jail, so far all the checks are paid in full and on time so we’ll see. But here is one more question I have. Let’s say you’re delivering and picking up on the same shift, so you’re empty and you just arrived for your pickup but unfortunately you only have 3 hours available on the clock. Well after 2 and a half hours nothing seems to happen, you’re walking in, and they’re telling you they’re extremely lazy ooops busy and it’s gonna be a few more hours. But you only have around 20 mins available on your ELD. What would you do? Leave and come back next day?

This is a joke, right? Start naming company names, yours and pickup, otherwise you're a troll.

Posted:  3 months ago

Busting some myths about Western Express

A lot of people who say bad things about trucking companies online frequently use the word "lie" in its various forms: oh, they lied to me about this, this, and that, too... oh, they are just a bunch of liers... oh... and so on. I would like to share my experience here which helps me make a totally different claim - every single word I heard so far from Western Express turned out to be a complete truth. People who work at the orientation in Plainfield, CT are kind, hard working and you can see that they do care about what they are doing. And yes, the lunch was hot and real good, too! I know, that orientation is only a small part of a sinificantly bigger picture, but I have read and viewed so many bad reviews of WE orientation, that I simply could not remain silent.

Wherever you find your niche, brother, is the place to be.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Thoughts on making a company change?

Hello, I posted last year about getting into trucking. I meant to follow up on the experience by now, but 9 months in now a lot is still evolving.

I wanted to ask you’re opinion on this potential move. I very greatly wanted to wait until the first year but I have been running into many issues the past few months.

I work on a dedicated southeast regional, home Sat/Sun, sometimes Friday as well. The company has been fantastic. Friendly staff, great to work with, running a 2022 Cascadia. But, at the end of the day the miles count more. At first, I was averaging 9000 miles a month @44.5+4 monthly safety which is good for me. As time and more drivers are joining the route, I have had months with 8500, 8000, and now 7000 last month.

I can say that this is coming down to very short trips, (200-400) with dropoff the next day. Preload delays and also the nondedicated loads mixed in that has me at DCs for half the day.

I have two small children so I was looking into some local jobs out of Jax, FL. I reached out to about 10 companies, most offering about the same estimate of 55k a year. Will hear from more tomorrow after the holiday. Whether or not they’ll hire me up for debate with experience, but many didn’t require one year.

JB Hunt has reached out willing to hire about their intermodal home daily, 2 days off. The yard is close to my house and the shift is overnight 6PM-4/6AM Fri and Sat off. Seems like a great schedule. No traffic, hopefully mostly drop and hook.

I’ve been researching and people seem to take home of around 800-950+ towards my region. Amount is definitely up for debate, but also able to work a 6th day. The estimate from the company is 1050 gross. Honestly even the lower range is workable, with 900 being the sweet spot. Lately I’ve been taking home less than all of that.

I don’t mind the work, I enjoy quick drop offs and turnaround but I still feel comfortable with what I’m doing now in this phase of being a new driver. I may be home only 1.5-2 days but I’m not tired when I am.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks

Jacksonville is hot for intermodal. I would consult with your company first but if they won't play then go intermodal. Boring, but reliable and good pay.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

And they wonder why late loads are an issue

Yet again, I've been given a run with an already tight deadline, oh and by the way, do this local run that will be two hours minimum plus unloading time round trip before you pick it up.

Is being used as a local driver between every load a pretty normal thing all companies do? It's an almost given that they want us to do a local run between loads, and it screws up your trip every time. After having to sit for three days over the holiday weekend because of one that took four hours (honestly an average time for a local load) to get me a dock and put me behind the rest of the week, it's getting old.

In this market, tell them you plan on looking for work elsewhere.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Put OOS by Safety over Med Card

Yes Pack Rat I been eating healthier lost 20 pounds with out really trying. Just cut out all the breads, sugars,sweets etc eating fruits eggs subway sammiches lots of garlic at home, raw spinach instead of lettuce.... My Ideal weight range for my large frame is 210-220 MAX not 265+ lol now down to 249 and still eating as healthy as possible out here. I'm a 6 foot big boned guy, have been, since I buffed out in high school. Not the 6 ft 125 lbs scrawny kid with size 12 feet hahaha Used to vertical leg press 1000 lbs When I dated a gf after my divorce back in 1988, was going to the gym 6 nights a week, 4 hrs a night I got down to 185 pounds, and looked anorexic.....So anyways working on getting back to 215lbs or so

Funny, how both DOT examiners came up with different things......But yes my sugars need to get lower, testing it without eating (lower 200's) and after eating (higher, 300's) The doctors both used the exact same test strips because I watched lol There's some "K" chemical word in urine I forget what its called to show sugar levels. 1st Doc said high, it was, 2nd didn't say diddly bout sugars by urine test.

I didn't do anything different in the 3 or 4 day gap between em. Struck me odd, like I said, they both had the exact same test strips out of the exact same brand bottles? hmmm

Anyways, after my 3 days in Laughlin and back home will go to a medical office near me and get them to set me on the path to lower my BS....IF it's gunna take a month or more, I'll say screw it and retire earlier than December.....Tons of local work near me in So Cal..... Took safety dept a month to throw this out there? It is what it is lol

Time to sleep,

200 300 will sink you. Lose the weight and go Keto to reduce blood sugar

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Took me an hour today to get backed in today.

Not all of it was an hour but I would say a good 20 minutes of it was. It was a t a retail home depot store. The other part was spent dealing with the various quirks of the store.

After 3months, should it take me 20 minutes to safely back in? Am I being too slow or dumb? I guess I'm just doubting myself a bit today.

On the plus side I replaced grommets in my glad hands and now have reefer pretrip nailed down...but backingbhas me feeling a bit...... tarded today.....

I watched a guy at a local DC take over 30mins to back in. And he had PLENTY of room. He was so bad I dropped my trailer and moved my tractor across the yard as he was trying to back in next to me.

He finally did it, to fist bumps from the drivers he almost hit, but what struck me most is that he kept his cool. He didn't let the frustration get to him. He may actually work out in this business if he can keep that cool

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Swift jumps into LTL

Swift purchased AAA Cooper for 1.35 Billion.

"The deal adds nearly 3,000 tractors and 7,000 trailers to Knight-Swift’s fleet, and is expected to add $780 million in 2021 revenue."

Article here.

There ya go! Go work for Swift! ;)

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Considering a career in Redding CA

People on this forum will give the reasons why they feel that starting out working local LTL isn't a good idea. I don't question any of their reasoning, but for some of us it's the only driving job that allows us to attend to things at home that are important to us. I don't feel qualified to give anyone career advice, but for me at least, three months in and so far so good. I would just caution you not to spread yourself too thin. You can't work a 12-hour shift, then come home and spend the next 12 hours caring for everyone but yourself.

Here's one in Redding: https://jobs.xpo.com/US/job/Redding-Truck-Driver-Home-Daily-CA-96001/664939400/

James H. ~

So, did you end up going with XPO, or SNI? Congrats on your 3 months; that's awesome! Milestone, tbh!!! (IMHO..)

You should read some of 6 string rhythm's posts .. not sure who 'spat' on LTL 's!! Bobcat Bob is the 'master' of the LTL's as is Daniel B. (MODERATOR~) atm, and Banks started that way, too...via FedEx... dock to driver. Don't recall any bashing there, either.

In a TT search for LTL and/or linehaul, there are way too many to name/count.

~ Anne ~

ps: Your avatar looks like you're the CEO for one or the other, haha!

LTL is usually synonymous with Local. And the vast majority of LTL jobs will hire you on as Local which is challenging. Getting on with an LTL right off the bat with a Road job is rare and usually means a lot of dock work for a newbee. Which may not be bad :) However, those of us that want a daytime job with somewhat normal hours will usually stay Local once hired on. I've passed on numerous opportunities to go to the Road only because I didn't want to drive nights. And as a newbee - you will drive nights.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Considering a career in Redding CA

I agree. Go LTL if that's your only option given your circumstances. If you fail, so what - you fail. Go back to doing what you're doing. If you succeed, as many of us have with our first jobs being in LTL, then you've solved your problem.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

XPO Local LTL For New CDL Grads?

I've got a quick question for y'all, on this ^^^ above SMS .... is the 'lack of' Hazmat compliance on the company, the driver, or both?

Not much familiar with HZ, but for tank products.

Thanks!

~ Anne ~

It's on the company but the driver suffers for it. And if you're a driver and get pulled in and found derelict it's on you.