Profile For Auggie69

Auggie69's Info

NC

Rookie Solo Driver

3 years, 9 months ago

Auggie69's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Auggie69's Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 days, 10 hours ago

Secret Schneider drop yard?

Seen one like this near Chambersburg, PA too.

At a pilot near Youngstown, OH. All these Schneider trailers taking up space. Looks like a great place to wait for the Great Pumpkin. I know at least some are loaded because I can see the seals. Just wondering what's up...repowers?

0285930001552862074.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Preparing for CDL school is a family affair!!

What an incredible post. Your husband really is a very lucky guy. The biggest thing is to remember the main reason he's out there. It's for THE FAMILY.

Bruce says :

There are lots of jobs out there where your husband can, in time, be home every night.

Local is all I've done and even being a local driver will put a strain on the relationship. Unfortunately thats a side effect of the long, exhausting hours. The company I started out with had me start at 330am 5 days a week. I got 12 to 14 hours a day, 60 to 65 a week on average. Many days it was just barely enough time off to get my 10 hour break in. In those 10 hours I had to fit in my commute to/from work, shower, eat spend time with wife and kids and still somehow sleep. My current job I could start anytime from 10pm to 10am, don't find out until 3pm that afternoon (sometimes 9 hours before I leave) where I'm going or what time I start. I've had days I started at 5am, but most I've had to start at 11pm. I just finished my first full week alone delivering to grocery stores. I was sent from des moines ia to Madison wi, Sioux falls sd, St Joseph Mo and Davenport ia. I put in 52 hours in 4 days. Madison and Sioux falls were over 600 miles in snow and ice. One day I made it back with 6 minutes on my 14, the other I had to go over my 14 (16 hour short haul exception) just to make it back. The goal is to make it back everyday but when the days are that long and weather is crap its next to impossible to know if I'll even be home that night. I cant predict how roads will be in 200 miles when I go through. Even though I was home at night I have to go to sleep nearly right away to prepare for the next day. I made the mistake (?) Of telling my sons school that him and I would be at a little party his school was having. Instead we didnt make it because it was 5 to 7 and I had to be up at 9pm to get ready for work, keep in mind I didnt find out until 3pm. My wife has said numerous times I should just go OTR instead because she feels it'd be easier on her and our 3 very young kids. Me being home physically, but not mentally is very hard on them. I get done with work and want to relax but they've been anxiously awaiting me to get home and go do stuff. Believe it or not with this job I'm more tired after driving 500 miles a day than I was driving 100 miles and physically unloading 18k pounds by hand. Anyways I got rambling....

Trucking in general pays quite well and can support a family. There's sacrifices the entire family needs to be on board with otherwise it can very well tear the family apart.

I know you can drive City.

Follow this link and apply. Go through the interview process. Ask questions about start times (pretty consistent), pay, (overtime after 8), benefits, time-off, etc. It's about as 'normal' as a 8-5 job as you'll get in this industry. Ask the questions and then decide if you want to stay with your new job or try something your wife may actually enjoy too :) Given the hours you currently work you may take a cut in pay but you can volunteer in other areas to make up for it should you desire.

I believe the terminal in Des Moines is about 200 doors so it should be busier than most.

Oh, and we deliver to PFG ;)

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Get Rich? 😆

I've only been with FedEx a few months but there's plenty potential here. There are guys here that do very well for themselves. Ltl is definitely an upgrade.

Where I'm at even when freight is slow FXF tries to make sure all of us City drivers get our 40hrs a week. Not a lot of companies do that.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Get Rich? 😆

I started just over three years ago as a new driver with FedEx Freight. Went through their driver program and became a City Driver right off the bat.

Now I do a combo of City and Road. Home every night and enjoy the people I work for.

I grossed $1700 last week. Which was great but Uncle Sam snatched a third of that.

Sorry. "Road" meaning linehaul. I don't do it everyday but they call me when they need me. Our longest linehaul runs are 600 miles.

My pay is $28hr in the City and $.65mile linehaul plus 30 minutes to either hook a set or drop a set. Simply doing a trailer swap/switch pays me 15minutes.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Get Rich? 😆

Four years in and I still see people wanting to know how much they’ll make.

Bookstores aren’t filled with books titled How To Make a Million Dollars As A Truck Driver. But, cut out a car payment, insurance and some wasteful spending and guess what! You could be very well off in just a few years.

You wanna know why many drivers are broke? They take cash advances, buy useless junk, eat too much (usually of the WRONG stuff) and don’t save. Heck, I listened to some driver brag about how he’d hit lots of the “casinos” in Louisiana. Yeah, ya think he’s saving money? In four years I’ve never been in one of ‘em.

This year I’ve turned over 128,000+ miles (paid) and averaged more than $1K per week take home. You can too! AND I got home every week (sometimes more than once).

God Bless you all and GO GET YOUR slice of this truck driving pie!

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I No Longer Want To Drive A Truck

Where I am at ltl shippers get serviced in minutes.

That right there is the crux of the problem. This is a common practice, especially at foodservice distributors, and has resulted in countless lost hours (not to mention lost preplanned loads) for me. Local and/or LTL trucks getting first priority has left me waiting 6 or more hours just to be assigned a door before. Warehouse receivers (you know, the guy who comes over and signs off your bills) giving local and/or LTL deliveries first priority has had me waiting in a door upwards of 4 hours to have my load received. One particular place left me sitting in the door for 6 1/2 hours for 3 pallets, all the same product, and as a result I was late to my next delivery for that load, which ended up having to be rescheduled, and they charged us a $250 rescheduling fee for the privilege.

Now, call me crazy if you like, but when I arrive on time or a little early for an appointment, I expect that you're going to have a door available for me. And once the product has been unloaded and downstacked as necessary, I expect that you're going to come verify the count and sign my bills expeditiously. Not when you get around to it, not after taking care of the local guys who just happen to keep popping in while my product sits on your dock thawing.

This practice of putting OTR trucks at the bottom of the list is absolutely ludicrous, and needs to be stopped.

And if you truly show-up with only three skids, get off your deadass an borrow a jack and pull them off yourself.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I No Longer Want To Drive A Truck

Where I am at ltl shippers get serviced in minutes.

Us LTL have 10 or more stops in the local area. More than likely we have an appt time when we show-up at the DC you're sitting at. They have a limited amount to time to offload their stuff from our trailers before we start charging detention. Plus if they are that SLOW they won't get their stuff at all! Sorry. Sayonara. We'll resked your delivery for tomorrow. Oh, btw, there will be an additional $125 redelivery fee because you couldn't be bothered to offload it today.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

So you'll pay the fine if they are? Are you that confident?

Man, what's wrong with you? Can you not read the regulations? It's pretty clear and straightforward with its limitations. Seriously, get a grip. It's fair to say you'll never be a lawyer!

Nope. Never be a lawyer but I've lived through more hurricanes in Florida over the past 20 years than have been visitors to this website.

You come down bearing ferns overweight you'll get nailed. Any type of goods to aid in recovery and rebuilding you'll be good to go.

Up to you how you define that.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

STATE OF FLORIDA

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER 17-235

11. The Secretary of the Florida Department of Transportation (DOT) may:

(6.) Waive the size and weight restrictions for divisible loads on any vehicles transporting emergency equipment, services, supplies, and agricultural commodities and citrus as recommended by the Commissioner of Agriculture, allowing the establishment of alternate size and weight restrictions for all such vehicles for the duration of the emergency. The DOT shall issue permits and such vehicles shall be subject to such special conditions as the DOT may endorse on any such permits. Nothing in this Executive Order shall be construed to allow any vehicle to exceed weight limits posted for bridges and like structures, or relieve any vehicle or the carrier, owner, or driver of any vehicle from compliance with any restrictions other than those specified in this Executive Order, or from any statute, rule, order or other legal requirement not specifically waived herein or by supplemental order by the State Coordinating Officer;

If you're going to quote 17-235 quote all of the relevant sections to include refs so people can draw their own conclusions

I don't have to scale squat.

Scott was wrong. Looking at the executive order it is limited in scope though I seriously doubt anyone carrying into FL over the next few days will be hassled.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

STATE OF FLORIDA

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER 17-235

11. The Secretary of the Florida Department of Transportation (DOT) may:

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

Link? That's not what he said.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

Gov Scott just announced all weight restrictions for semis have been lifted until further notice

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Dispatch wants me to take a 34 hr reset in a loading dock?!

Some thing to think about.

I've run across places that will have signs posted "no restrooms for drivers".

There's usually always one or two women working in the office. I talk to them directly using my best "it's an emergency" face.

"I'm so sorry, but is there any chance y'all have a restroom I can use? Pretty please?"

Every place I've been but one, the ladies will say "oh honey, of course!" And buzz you through the door or whatever to use the employee restroom.

Sorry gentlemen, but sometimes being a woman has its advantages!

Several receivers locally do the same for LTL drivers.

Sign says 'No public restroom' but I ask and she says they only have the sign for the OTR drivers. Us LTL guys are ok to use it though 😃

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Truck Driving Overseas

So then you're halfway home :)

If you apply keep us in the loop during your interview/employment process. I'm curious as to how it works nowadays. The only requirement I would make non-negotiable is to be armed. If they tell you that you can't carry a weapon, walk away.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Truck Driving Overseas

Look into it. Who knows what the opportunities are nowadays compared to 10 years ago overseas as a contractor. Hell I think even the first 75K or so you earn isn't even taxable.

You'll never know until you apply.

Auggie are you driving in a war zone? It's a rhetorical question...why encourage someone to do something so dangerous?

Nope, I'm not. I was in the Army for 15 years though so I have a pretty good idea of what goes on :)

Not my job to tell this young man what to do. I encourage everyone to apply for what they want and ONLY decide after the interview if it's for you or not. You ALWAYS take the interview.

Patrick pretty much laid out what happens in a combat zone. I just told the OP how to look into it. It's up to him whether or not he wants to pursue it. I'm not his parent. I'm some dude on the internet that can give him some information on what he's interested in.

As it turns out, Dyncorp wants a year driving experience before they'll hire you. See, right there he'll run into his first road block. One he would not have hit had we all been hysterical in trying to convince him not to drive as a contractor.

Think if it like this: the media breathlessly reports every American killed overseas. When is the last time you heard of a truck driver buying the farm? Yeah, me neither.

2004 - 2011 was different time. Who knows, maybe nowadays you can drive from some supply point to Kandahar, make $150K a year and not worry about anything more than mosquitoes. I know I don't know what goes on over there anymore.

Tell you what though, I may look into this :)

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Truck Driving Overseas

Https://dyncorp.jobs.net/en-US/job/truck-driver/J3F5X0746STRCBLF35S

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Truck Driving Overseas

You'll never know until you apply.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Truck Driving Overseas

Buddy of mine told me he was making about 150K a year driving rigs in Iraq back in 2006 for DynCorp.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

How to lower blood pressure before DOT physical

NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and others all have the capacity to increase blood pressure. The average increase is small, but the actual amount of increase can vary widely from individual to individual. This effect occurs at doses that are typically used for pain relief and reduction of inflammation.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Starting out as a new driver in LTL/linehaul

I concur with what 6 string said.

With FedEx Freight you'll work the dock till you get through the apprentice program and then after getting kicked-out on runs during the night hours when freight levels dictate it.

Pay is good and you'll get a variety of runs. FedEx Freight also works hard to make sure you get your 40hrs every week when freight levels are low. The union shops could care less and others are a hit or miss.

You can bid for city work when the twice a year bidding opens up and if there is a slot you can work days delivering freight local. Tough work but you'll get plenty of backing practice :)

If 6 string is right about SAIA expanding I'd look into that too. Nothing like getting in on the ground floor. Instant seniority which means road runs and little dock work.