Profile For Auggie69

Auggie69's Info

NC

Rookie Solo Driver

6 years, 1 month ago

Auggie69's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Auggie69's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  2 days, 9 hours ago

Busting some myths about Western Express

A lot of people who say bad things about trucking companies online frequently use the word "lie" in its various forms: oh, they lied to me about this, this, and that, too... oh, they are just a bunch of liers... oh... and so on. I would like to share my experience here which helps me make a totally different claim - every single word I heard so far from Western Express turned out to be a complete truth. People who work at the orientation in Plainfield, CT are kind, hard working and you can see that they do care about what they are doing. And yes, the lunch was hot and real good, too! I know, that orientation is only a small part of a sinificantly bigger picture, but I have read and viewed so many bad reviews of WE orientation, that I simply could not remain silent.

Wherever you find your niche, brother, is the place to be.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Thoughts on making a company change?

Hello, I posted last year about getting into trucking. I meant to follow up on the experience by now, but 9 months in now a lot is still evolving.

I wanted to ask you’re opinion on this potential move. I very greatly wanted to wait until the first year but I have been running into many issues the past few months.

I work on a dedicated southeast regional, home Sat/Sun, sometimes Friday as well. The company has been fantastic. Friendly staff, great to work with, running a 2022 Cascadia. But, at the end of the day the miles count more. At first, I was averaging 9000 miles a month @44.5+4 monthly safety which is good for me. As time and more drivers are joining the route, I have had months with 8500, 8000, and now 7000 last month.

I can say that this is coming down to very short trips, (200-400) with dropoff the next day. Preload delays and also the nondedicated loads mixed in that has me at DCs for half the day.

I have two small children so I was looking into some local jobs out of Jax, FL. I reached out to about 10 companies, most offering about the same estimate of 55k a year. Will hear from more tomorrow after the holiday. Whether or not they’ll hire me up for debate with experience, but many didn’t require one year.

JB Hunt has reached out willing to hire about their intermodal home daily, 2 days off. The yard is close to my house and the shift is overnight 6PM-4/6AM Fri and Sat off. Seems like a great schedule. No traffic, hopefully mostly drop and hook.

I’ve been researching and people seem to take home of around 800-950+ towards my region. Amount is definitely up for debate, but also able to work a 6th day. The estimate from the company is 1050 gross. Honestly even the lower range is workable, with 900 being the sweet spot. Lately I’ve been taking home less than all of that.

I don’t mind the work, I enjoy quick drop offs and turnaround but I still feel comfortable with what I’m doing now in this phase of being a new driver. I may be home only 1.5-2 days but I’m not tired when I am.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks

Jacksonville is hot for intermodal. I would consult with your company first but if they won't play then go intermodal. Boring, but reliable and good pay.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

And they wonder why late loads are an issue

Yet again, I've been given a run with an already tight deadline, oh and by the way, do this local run that will be two hours minimum plus unloading time round trip before you pick it up.

Is being used as a local driver between every load a pretty normal thing all companies do? It's an almost given that they want us to do a local run between loads, and it screws up your trip every time. After having to sit for three days over the holiday weekend because of one that took four hours (honestly an average time for a local load) to get me a dock and put me behind the rest of the week, it's getting old.

In this market, tell them you plan on looking for work elsewhere.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Put OOS by Safety over Med Card

Yes Pack Rat I been eating healthier lost 20 pounds with out really trying. Just cut out all the breads, sugars,sweets etc eating fruits eggs subway sammiches lots of garlic at home, raw spinach instead of lettuce.... My Ideal weight range for my large frame is 210-220 MAX not 265+ lol now down to 249 and still eating as healthy as possible out here. I'm a 6 foot big boned guy, have been, since I buffed out in high school. Not the 6 ft 125 lbs scrawny kid with size 12 feet hahaha Used to vertical leg press 1000 lbs When I dated a gf after my divorce back in 1988, was going to the gym 6 nights a week, 4 hrs a night I got down to 185 pounds, and looked anorexic.....So anyways working on getting back to 215lbs or so

Funny, how both DOT examiners came up with different things......But yes my sugars need to get lower, testing it without eating (lower 200's) and after eating (higher, 300's) The doctors both used the exact same test strips because I watched lol There's some "K" chemical word in urine I forget what its called to show sugar levels. 1st Doc said high, it was, 2nd didn't say diddly bout sugars by urine test.

I didn't do anything different in the 3 or 4 day gap between em. Struck me odd, like I said, they both had the exact same test strips out of the exact same brand bottles? hmmm

Anyways, after my 3 days in Laughlin and back home will go to a medical office near me and get them to set me on the path to lower my BS....IF it's gunna take a month or more, I'll say screw it and retire earlier than December.....Tons of local work near me in So Cal..... Took safety dept a month to throw this out there? It is what it is lol

Time to sleep,

200 300 will sink you. Lose the weight and go Keto to reduce blood sugar

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Took me an hour today to get backed in today.

Not all of it was an hour but I would say a good 20 minutes of it was. It was a t a retail home depot store. The other part was spent dealing with the various quirks of the store.

After 3months, should it take me 20 minutes to safely back in? Am I being too slow or dumb? I guess I'm just doubting myself a bit today.

On the plus side I replaced grommets in my glad hands and now have reefer pretrip nailed down...but backingbhas me feeling a bit...... tarded today.....

I watched a guy at a local DC take over 30mins to back in. And he had PLENTY of room. He was so bad I dropped my trailer and moved my tractor across the yard as he was trying to back in next to me.

He finally did it, to fist bumps from the drivers he almost hit, but what struck me most is that he kept his cool. He didn't let the frustration get to him. He may actually work out in this business if he can keep that cool

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Swift jumps into LTL

Swift purchased AAA Cooper for 1.35 Billion.

"The deal adds nearly 3,000 tractors and 7,000 trailers to Knight-Swift’s fleet, and is expected to add $780 million in 2021 revenue."

Article here.

There ya go! Go work for Swift! ;)

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Considering a career in Redding CA

People on this forum will give the reasons why they feel that starting out working local LTL isn't a good idea. I don't question any of their reasoning, but for some of us it's the only driving job that allows us to attend to things at home that are important to us. I don't feel qualified to give anyone career advice, but for me at least, three months in and so far so good. I would just caution you not to spread yourself too thin. You can't work a 12-hour shift, then come home and spend the next 12 hours caring for everyone but yourself.

Here's one in Redding: https://jobs.xpo.com/US/job/Redding-Truck-Driver-Home-Daily-CA-96001/664939400/

James H. ~

So, did you end up going with XPO, or SNI? Congrats on your 3 months; that's awesome! Milestone, tbh!!! (IMHO..)

You should read some of 6 string rhythm's posts .. not sure who 'spat' on LTL 's!! Bobcat Bob is the 'master' of the LTL's as is Daniel B. (MODERATOR~) atm, and Banks started that way, too...via FedEx... dock to driver. Don't recall any bashing there, either.

In a TT search for LTL and/or linehaul, there are way too many to name/count.

~ Anne ~

ps: Your avatar looks like you're the CEO for one or the other, haha!

LTL is usually synonymous with Local. And the vast majority of LTL jobs will hire you on as Local which is challenging. Getting on with an LTL right off the bat with a Road job is rare and usually means a lot of dock work for a newbee. Which may not be bad :) However, those of us that want a daytime job with somewhat normal hours will usually stay Local once hired on. I've passed on numerous opportunities to go to the Road only because I didn't want to drive nights. And as a newbee - you will drive nights.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Considering a career in Redding CA

I agree. Go LTL if that's your only option given your circumstances. If you fail, so what - you fail. Go back to doing what you're doing. If you succeed, as many of us have with our first jobs being in LTL, then you've solved your problem.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

XPO Local LTL For New CDL Grads?

I've got a quick question for y'all, on this ^^^ above SMS .... is the 'lack of' Hazmat compliance on the company, the driver, or both?

Not much familiar with HZ, but for tank products.

Thanks!

~ Anne ~

It's on the company but the driver suffers for it. And if you're a driver and get pulled in and found derelict it's on you.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Is it possible to get paid cdl training locally?

Hello guys/girls. I had a horrible experience with a trucking school and was only able to obtain a CDL permit out of the whole ordeal.

I have not given up on my quest to become a local truck driver. I’m low on cash and was wondering if it’s possible for me to get CDL paid training and drive locally. I am in Louisville, KY. If anyone has any suggestions please comment below.

I appreciate you all.

Bobcat Bob is right as is Old School.

However, here is a driving job that is for Road runs (as opposed to Local) for Fedex. Fedex Road runs are out and back in a day so you'd be home every night. Same with OD. Other carriers may have different runs. This particular link will hire you on with Fedex and they'll teach you to drive and get your CDL.FXF Road Apprentice

Click on the link and apply.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Kearsey

I can take a month off. My last home time was 8 days and honestly it was more work than trucking. I got back on the road and had food poisoning for a weekend not fun.

I've been leaving my phone ringer off and sleeping as much as possible. I know I seem like a miserable witch right now so best not to talk to anyone

Go rent a place at the beach for a week or two. I assume you have taking care of your mom on your plate. Even a few days may help to recharge your batteries.

Posted:  1 month ago

Kearsey

Hi and thanks for thinking of me. Life has been very stressful lately with my move to MO and my Mom's debilitating condition. I spent last week in MO in meetings and furniture shopping.

I have been enjoying the solo life but need a rest from everything. I feel like I have been on a hamster wheel 24/7 for the past 18 months and honestly.... Even youtube feels like "work" and a chore. I answer questions 24/7 for new drivers on need.. And I am exhausted. I have been thinking of taking a couple months off. I stopped training for now.

Just feels like I need the world to stop spinning for a bit.

Sorry to disappoint. And never got the text.

We call get like that from time-to-time. Does Prime offer some sort of sabbatical?

Posted:  1 month ago

Not so fun dock

I'm thinking you can go out the way your nose is pointing?

And if you can go out, can you go in the same way?

Posted:  1 month ago

Need to Rent Truck for Road Test!!

Good day y'all! Hope all is well...I'm new to the forum. I'm wondering if anyone one on here is familiar with the Houston area and knows anyone who rents out truck and trailers for the DPS road test. Long story short, I drove truck for 9 years, unfortunately... I voluntarily gave up my CDL about 4 years ago due to the desire of a career change. (Yes, i know...BAD CHOICE). I should have just renewed it and kept it lol. Now I want to get back in a truck and start hauling again! I just got my permit but now I need to go do the road test without paying a ridiculous amount just for an hour or so of testing! I need y'alls help!!! '

Try Penske

Posted:  1 month ago

OMG! Stuff it in here?! Backing extrodinaire!

Not me, but had a chance to watch a 53 w/sleeper back into this almost 100yo building. Three guys finally came out and helped. There is only ONE way in, you have to cross train tracks and then blindside into the hole.

Omigosh,the Jamison Doors!!!

I've got a few stories (2nd hand) .. LoL!!

~ Anne ~

LOL! I guess they're infamous! :)

Posted:  1 month ago

OMG! Stuff it in here?! Backing extrodinaire!

Posted:  1 month ago

Companies that train felons?

I wanna know if there is any company that would help get me my CDL with my 3yr old felony?

Companies are so short drivers right now that you have a great opportunity to get hired.

Apply everywhere, don't get discouraged or dejected. If you get a rejection, suck it up and move on.

Posted:  1 month ago

Blood pressure test no worries!

A proper diet of good-for-you food is all that's needed. Pills are poison and only mask a problem.

His BP is fine except at the docs. Doubt food would help. Unless it's beer and oysters.

Posted:  1 month ago

Mc carrier

So i have an offer to work for the dairy 2 hours north of vegas. Would basically be hauling from Amargosa to Austin nv and back 5 days a week. Only downfall is it’s only straight mileage pay. No extra pays. And if you break down not being paid. That’s one option I was considering to stay close to home till I got experience. Waiting on one of their trucks to be repaired.

Now there’s this place in Vegas called mc carrier llc. They are a medium sized company I guess Lil over 100 trucks I believe. I talked to them yesterday they said I would have to do 600 hours (aprox 3 months) of training with a mentor. 580 a week during training. Then once solo start between .50-.58 cents a mile. Then I can do otr or dedicated. Now this company has health insurance and stuff unlike dairy. They also have the extra pays like detention and lay over and what not. I am going in next Friday to talk to the recruiter. Was wondering if anyone’s had any info or knowledge of this company? Thanks

If the dairy idiots quoted you .50 mile, counter with $1.50 mile. Especially if no insurance. Actually, I'm surprised there are dairies around Vegas.

Posted:  1 month ago

My truck hit in the parking lot wont reflect poorly on me?

The best thing to have is a witness who can confirm that you were parked and not moving. Otherwise the company may say that it was a preventable. A similar situation cost me a job a few months ago.

Really? The ELD records the vehicle in motion.

Not really. I just looked at my logs from tonight and several yard movements never changed the geo coordinates and didn't kick over the odometer. All it recorded were several engine start/stops.

Probably the same as you'd see going into a yard and trying to back into a space.