Profile For Auggie69

Auggie69's Info

NC

Rookie Solo Driver

6 years, 11 months ago

Auggie69's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Auggie69's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  5 days, 21 hours ago

First time for everything.

We get paid hourly to sit.

Same here👍👍👍

About $32hr for me

Unfortunately, NOT the same here👎👎👎☹

LOL! Yup. I think my best day ever was on a 600mile run. I ran out of hours due to accidents enroute about an hour out of my center. I sat waiting for someone to 'rescue me'. And sat. And sat. I sat there for 4 hours waiting to get rescued. So not only do they pay one to sit, they pay you TO RIDE BACK TO YOUR CENTER! I thought that was cool :)

Anyhow, I blew the big payday because when I got back, my 2d in command boss asked me if I was ok since I had been cranking for like 18 hours or so. I told him yes but even though my ten was going to be up about 3pm that same day, I asked for the day off. He laughed and told me to enjoy it.

So for that one 24hr period I made almost $700 between my mileage pay and sitting pay but taking the next day off cut it in half.

Posted:  6 days, 20 hours ago

It's Official !!!

Congratulations, safe flight and best of luck over there. gf/wife there iirc isn't there? She isn't one of the ones panicking about the recent election results is she?

Got my airline ticket and my first days hotel room....I depart on July 1st @ 12:30 pm outta LAX 13 hours to a 3 hr lay-over in Seoul, Korea. Then 4 hour flight, to land on July 3rd @ 1 a.m. @ Cebu/Mactan airport

Just couple things to do, to have everything needed, to depart without issue....Antigen neg. test, travel insur. And an exit, throw away ticket to Singapore, since I bought a 1 way ticket. Have to have those last things, or they won't let ya even board the flight.

Just gotta play their stupid game, better than them 😂😂😂😂

Funny they elected another Marcos. Wonder if he or relatives have a foot fetish? ;-)

Posted:  6 days, 23 hours ago

First time for everything.

Well got my first blown tire this morning lol. Been waiting 2 hours for tire guy said he will be here in about 30 mins. I’m ok with it I’m getting paid to sit here lol

We get paid hourly to sit. About $32hr for me

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

People who spam the CB

Nothings changed since the '70s on CBs lol My parents, and us of course were big into em back then. Dad made a LOT of friends on the radio. We were in a group, we would go to CB meets and do parking lot security, during them meetings. Dad n mom won a few door prizes like mobile cb's etc over those years, we had lot of fun at it. We went to Baja, the president had a little mountain spot 1 mile from the beach, we went there on the 4th of July.....Of course there was lots of beer drinking going on, they even had 1/4 sticks of dynamite blowing off those were LOUD!

Me and the old man (dad) got into a fist fight, I was 15, he was drunk, and got in between me and another guy I went to high school with, I was gunna beat his azz after he doused me with a 5 gallon bucket of water I told him not to...I never seen my old mans eyes turn colors like a demon, when I shoved him n told him in a lotta F' bombs etc to get outta my way. Well, I'm ducking n dodges dads punches, getting a few in myself, when he had me up against the horse fence. I took a full on shot at my face, I ducked, he hit 4x4 fence post and busted his pinky bone outta his hand...

Our joke after thru out life, Pop's would tell me, I ain't ever to old to get MY azz whipped HAHAHA, I'd tell him "Yeah old man? I ain't 15 no mo' and I'm bigger than you, so if you feel froggy ***hole, JUMP!" Was good for a laugh, I miss the old guy ! He'd been goin on 90 next year

We got our house roof done 1 weekend by dads buddies in 1 day, lots of beer and pizzas lol.....Dad ended up in '80s with an illegal then, base station and 1000 watt linear (military style pull out base) He's talk to Ozzies etc "shootin skip" It could slide thru FM radio bands, n talk like you're on the phone.Had all the goodies side band, etc.

Heard a few stories, around us there were idiots blowing up with crap spam, talking smack etc. Dad and couple his friends went out at least 2 times during the night. Used a loop tracker thingy, to track down the problem makers.....1 time they hook a chain to this guys tower outside his house, tore it down with the truck and drug it down the street a few blocks, and dropped it.....Another time I heard them talking bout them going out to a couple other guys houses and putting strain pins in the coax cable. So next time they keyed their mic's, it fries their radio's finals, and burns up the radio lol

Ok enuff rambling, the topic, just brought back a flood of good ole' memories

Back in the early 80s I was stationed in Augsburg, GE. We had a really BIG antenna. Caught some guy out of Boston on his CB after work. Hell of a skip.

I used to sit on my Dad's CB in the late 70s and chat-up my friends. Early version of TikTok ;)

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Meet & Greet

Another shout out, always.. .to Ms. Laura ~ Happy Mother's day!

Thank you Anne.

Got home at noon after washing out the trailer and dropping it in the yard. Fighting a cold so hopefully it won't get much worse. Think when I got soaked and chilled the other night, it decided to hit me 😡

Heard from just my daughter and granddaughter.

It was an okay day, all things considered.

Laura

If it's your sinuses stock up now. I was really bad off for about two weeks and just now tapering off. Mucinex spray worked well for me. Ibuprofen too.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

New CDL here, doing SAIA dock-to-Driver

Hey there, TT folks..

Wanted to jump in and give a proper introduction. My name's Adam, living here in Tucson AZ, recently graduated the CDL program offered locally through Pima Community College and acquired my CDL in February complete with endorsements. I started working at SAIA in January ahead of my certification to do their dock-to-driver program, was attracted to the prospect of being able to be home every night and don't mind the stability/predictability of a steady paycheck and route. Plus, so many companies require a year+ experience to start, but hard to land a job to get the experience just starting out.

Working on the dock has been a good experience, and I've learned a lot about loading and securing freight, plus since I have my CDL already they've been having me do hosteling for several hours a night which has been really good experience for maneuvering trailers on and off the docks. After 3-4 months as a dockworker, I'm eligible to apply for the driver training, and am set up to start a 3-5 week training at the end of the month which will take place in Fontana (LA) CA. after that I'll be back at the Tucson hub, and probably do ride-along for a week or two until they set me loose with my own day cab and a city route.

My experience so far with SAIA has been mostly positive, I like most all of the people I work with and the pay is decent. I'm on a swing shift currently which has been a little tough since I'm a morning person by nature but willing to do what it takes to make this work. They have city drivers, and line-haul, city drivers making basically $27-$31 per hour and line haul is paid per mile but potentially more $$$ if you have a good route. As a new driver I will probably be started out as a city driver, which is better hours (daytime, home every night) but also wouldn't mind locking in a nice linehaul if it comes available.

I'm starting in the industry a little bit later in life, I'm 47 now. Worked most of my career as a dental technician making crown & bridge and dentures, but really got burnt out on that industry and was looking for a change. I've also had several warehouse, delivery, Box-truck route, and other assorted jobs over the last 20 years and always enjoyed the work and lifestyle. Getting my CDL and moving up to the big rigs just seemed like the next logical step for me. I would definitely consider doing more OTR style work if I could find the right situation and company to be with. My kids are grown and out of the house, and don't really have a lot of other things tying me down right now. Just want to work and make as much as possible over the next 15-20 years to secure a nice retirement and nest egg. I'm originally form Portland, OR and my kids are at U of O in Eugene, and I have a lil' something going on with a gal long-distance there in Portland, so ideally I'd love to find a lane that has me mostly west-coast or western states with my resets/breaks alternating between OR and AZ.. Gets really stupid hot here in the summer too, and as an Oregon boy I just haven't managed to get used to that despite being here for 4 years now.

I welcome any advice, ideas, questions, comments or whatever. Stay safe and alert Y'all, happy to be here. -Adam

You're not going to find a "lane" being a newby to Saia LTL that will get you from Phoenix to Portland on a regular basis. You may as well just ask where you can run to if you work the Road. If you don't want to stay in Phoenix your best bet is to relocate with Saia or somebody else in the Portland area and just move and run City from there.

If you stay in Phoenix, you can work City and volunteer (probably) to do road runs on your free time. But those runs will be ... wherever. LTL in a day cab is usually restricted to under 700 miles or less in a day so you can figure out where you can go from Phoenix on a daily basis.

But, then again, I'm not really familiar on how Saia does things so maybe you can get to Portland from Phoenix on a regular basis :)

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Good time to go o/o ?

Hi drivers,

I know this is an awful topic for this forum, but as you may or may not know, the freight market is coming down due to high supply and low demand of trucks. Also, fuel prices are the highest they've ever been. Many carriers will be selling and going out of business soon.

Now, imo, may be a good time to look into jumping into the market to be an o/o, if anyone is interested. You could get equipment once the prices bottom out and ride the rates up when they finally do go up.

If the time is not right for you and you still want to own your own truck, i would suggest you pay attention to what the market does in the next 6-12 months and maybe position yourself in the next downturn.

No hate, if it's not for you. It's definitely not for everyone.

I would say you must have the following if you're thinking about it as a path:

2 yrs experience minimum ( you won't get insured below that, and even at 2 years the rates are high) NO DEBT of any kind. $20-$60k in savings 2 credit cards with no balance driving wise - knowledge of split breaks

Have a nice day folks, and stay safe on the roads!!

My understanding is spot rates are in the toilet

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Edema problem in my leg

I’ve been experiencing edema in my left leg. Right leg is normal. It’s not a seat height issue, it’s just from sitting so long. Any suggestions to help with this issue?

Drink water Use compression socks Less salt

Are you on BP meds? They have them that helps flush out the excess fluid. They also have them where it is a side effect!

You should be on ibuprofen. Tylenol doesn't do squat for inflammation. Start with 400mg every 4hrs then increase to 600 then 800 which is the prescription strength. Stop at whichever helps your pain.

And don't exceed 2400mg in 24 hours.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Edema problem in my leg

Drink water
Use compression socks
Less salt

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Hazmat load securing questions

So even if one box the size of a bowling ball on a pallet, still has to be strapped in?

Yes, any Hazmat has to be.

I had a rail van once I had to take to the rail yard. My dispatch said I had poison onboard but the only hazmat I had was one little canister on the tail.

I had no idea the rail yard would not take poison.

I entered and was forced to leave that place three times! They would never tell me why I couldn't enter. My Central Dispatch had no clue. I'm making double time so I didn't care other than the frustration.

Finally somebody somewhere realized that little container of poison was screwing me up. Went to a nearby FXF terminal, offloaded it and went back and we were good to go.

But, yes! Strap the hazmat and don't stack or put on bars!

Posted:  1 month ago

Scared sh*tless

Rumble strip and heavy braking caused a lot of friction burning my tires and some had to be replaced for safety

That's a new one for me and my father with over 30 years experience in truck maintenance....

Had to swap my local for a twin-screw one day to pick up some heavy rail trailers.

I pretrip the tractor and it looked fine. I'm driving around the yard at about 15mph and the tractor is feeling this wham .... wham....wham...wham...wham like I'm going over little humps in the yard.

I was like wtf? Got out and looked around the tractor again and what I saw was what I didn't catch the first time: whoever had this tractor before me hit the brakes SO HARD that two of the tires developed flat spots! Like someone had taken a giant iron and just laid it down on top of them.

Darndest thing I've ever seen.

Posted:  1 month ago

Fair starting wage with no experience for cesspool pump trailer driver

For the amount of "Chit" you'll be dealing with, $25 ain't enough haha double that

Wow you think they’ll give me that with no experience? The said they do raises. We didn’t agree on a set pay other than at least $25/hr

I think he's making a joke :) If you are really going to suck ****, you may as well ask for as much as you can. My question would be If I run the **** sucker trucker, who cleans the hoses and truck when I get back! That's the deal breaker :)

Posted:  1 month ago

New job is exhausting

Hey everyone. In the scheme of things......this was minor, I got lost, ended up in a residential and a tight turn where I curbed the truck. I ahd a 47K coil sitting on the center of the trailer. You can all Monday morning QB all you want. Yes,........I shouldn't have been back there and yes I was anyhow. When flatbedding and with the different delivery sites, you WILL find yourself in confusing situations. Hard to explain fully without a few paragraphs. Just take my word for it please. It was bad decision making with fatigue and a road closure involved. Beginning and end of that story.

I stopped once I curbed the truck. I had a heavy coil, It was tipped a little and when I went to back out with the thought of calling the local PD to get me out of there, I had the tractor bucking and the load starting to oscillate. With a high center of gravity and that instability I just pulled the brakes, called the company for help and figured I'd take the beating. They had to get a wrecker out there to pull the trailer off the curb, flatten out the load and get me going again.

I did get some finger wagging from safety. That is to be expected. The best thing was I quit digging myself into a hole and recognized the potential for real trouble. It was frustrating the night I made my initial post.

Don't get me wrong. Not taking it lightly. But still appreciating that I was in a tough situation I made the right decision to shut things down and call for help. It could have cost me my job, it could have been worse than that. I didn't damage an expensive tractor, a trailer or the load. All those things are important. I could have walked away with my head held high knowing I did the right thing after making a big mistake had I been let go. I guess these are rookie mistakes that are forgivable?

Other than that, things are going well with the job. I am making delivery times. Customer service is excellent. I am following company policy.

I would say as a newbie you did just fine. You got yourself into a pickle and asked for help before it became much worse.

I would just suggest that when you get your plan to look at your GPS and plot your route AND beyond your route. Plot a way out and a way around. You'll never know until you get there what to expect. Sounds simplistic, I know, but having done City Driving right out of the blocks 7 years ago I still plot every delivery on my Google Maps to include what to do if I miss a turn or if I'm not sure of the ingress or egress into the shipper.

Posted:  1 month ago

Fair starting wage with no experience for cesspool pump trailer driver

Well, they don't pay much more than that.

Found a few other links. You can just cut and paste them into a browser

Thanks I appreciate it, I applied to some. If you thought $25/hr starting was bad, why did you send me jobs that pays less?🤣

Mainly just to show you what else was out there. Also some were state jobs or union jobs or maybe just better benefits. Unions are big in NY.

Posted:  1 month ago

Plane Crash Covington Georgia

A small aircraft has apparently crashed into a General Mills DC near Covington, GA this evening.

Ok, this is getting a bit weird.

Food shortages magnified by string of destroyed food processing facilities

Posted:  1 month ago

Fair starting wage with no experience for cesspool pump trailer driver

Well, they don't pay much more than that.

Found a few other links. You can just cut and paste them into a browser

Posted:  1 month ago

Fair starting wage with no experience for cesspool pump trailer driver

Do you think at least $25/hr is appropriate for someone with no experience in Long Island, ny?

Yup. As long as you lived in a van down by the river.

Alluding to 'Patches?' Or John Ludwig? Or Presence? LoLoL...

Seriously, Hasani; I was born in L.I./NY ... well, born in Queens, and raised in East Meadow. Nassau County.

That's not really a 'bad' starting rate. I asked around. With experience (aka; if you stay 6 months & up,) you'll be making $35 to $50 per, or at least have the opportunity to.

Having your CDLA is a great bargaining tool, for starters. We wish you luck; let us know how it turns out. It's a job that somebody sure DOES have to do!!

My two cents,

~ Anne ~

0977356001650673693.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

Worst Interstates for truckers

Currently, what road do you hate the most?

I was horrified by I76 in southern PA.

Thanks

I-81 in VA. ALWAYS seems to be an accident backing up traffic.

Posted:  1 month ago

Walmart journey, take 2

We're all with you. Just keep your nerves intact and you'll be fine.

Maybe start a training diary of your own, to document your experience at Smyrna. I'm sure it'll help someone else in the future, as I hope mine did.

Keep us in the loop!

Turtle,

I see that WM has a position called Yard Driver/City Driver. Any idea what that involves? I know what BOTH do but I didn't know WM had something like this.

Posted:  1 month ago

Weird/Interesting Loads

I drive for UPS so usually just a trailer with a lot of boxes but once we had to pick up and drop off around 31,000lbs of toilet paper. Very weird and they were in very large crates.

Not me but I got stuck on I-81 one day near Roanoke. Schneider driver was blocking the northbound lanes. His trailer was on its side and toilet paper was strewn all over the highway. I thought it was apropos.