Profile For Auggie69

Auggie69's Info

NC

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 11 months ago

Auggie69's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Auggie69's Photo Gallery

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

So you'll pay the fine if they are? Are you that confident?

Man, what's wrong with you? Can you not read the regulations? It's pretty clear and straightforward with its limitations. Seriously, get a grip. It's fair to say you'll never be a lawyer!

Nope. Never be a lawyer but I've lived through more hurricanes in Florida over the past 20 years than have been visitors to this website.

You come down bearing ferns overweight you'll get nailed. Any type of goods to aid in recovery and rebuilding you'll be good to go.

Up to you how you define that.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

STATE OF FLORIDA

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER 17-235

11. The Secretary of the Florida Department of Transportation (DOT) may:

(6.) Waive the size and weight restrictions for divisible loads on any vehicles transporting emergency equipment, services, supplies, and agricultural commodities and citrus as recommended by the Commissioner of Agriculture, allowing the establishment of alternate size and weight restrictions for all such vehicles for the duration of the emergency. The DOT shall issue permits and such vehicles shall be subject to such special conditions as the DOT may endorse on any such permits. Nothing in this Executive Order shall be construed to allow any vehicle to exceed weight limits posted for bridges and like structures, or relieve any vehicle or the carrier, owner, or driver of any vehicle from compliance with any restrictions other than those specified in this Executive Order, or from any statute, rule, order or other legal requirement not specifically waived herein or by supplemental order by the State Coordinating Officer;

If you're going to quote 17-235 quote all of the relevant sections to include refs so people can draw their own conclusions

I don't have to scale squat.

Scott was wrong. Looking at the executive order it is limited in scope though I seriously doubt anyone carrying into FL over the next few days will be hassled.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

STATE OF FLORIDA

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER 17-235

11. The Secretary of the Florida Department of Transportation (DOT) may:

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

Link? That's not what he said.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Hurricane Irma Florida

Gov Scott just announced all weight restrictions for semis have been lifted until further notice

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Dispatch wants me to take a 34 hr reset in a loading dock?!

Some thing to think about.

I've run across places that will have signs posted "no restrooms for drivers".

There's usually always one or two women working in the office. I talk to them directly using my best "it's an emergency" face.

"I'm so sorry, but is there any chance y'all have a restroom I can use? Pretty please?"

Every place I've been but one, the ladies will say "oh honey, of course!" And buzz you through the door or whatever to use the employee restroom.

Sorry gentlemen, but sometimes being a woman has its advantages!

Several receivers locally do the same for LTL drivers.

Sign says 'No public restroom' but I ask and she says they only have the sign for the OTR drivers. Us LTL guys are ok to use it though ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Truck Driving Overseas

So then you're halfway home :)

If you apply keep us in the loop during your interview/employment process. I'm curious as to how it works nowadays. The only requirement I would make non-negotiable is to be armed. If they tell you that you can't carry a weapon, walk away.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Truck Driving Overseas

Look into it. Who knows what the opportunities are nowadays compared to 10 years ago overseas as a contractor. Hell I think even the first 75K or so you earn isn't even taxable.

You'll never know until you apply.

Auggie are you driving in a war zone? It's a rhetorical question...why encourage someone to do something so dangerous?

Nope, I'm not. I was in the Army for 15 years though so I have a pretty good idea of what goes on :)

Not my job to tell this young man what to do. I encourage everyone to apply for what they want and ONLY decide after the interview if it's for you or not. You ALWAYS take the interview.

Patrick pretty much laid out what happens in a combat zone. I just told the OP how to look into it. It's up to him whether or not he wants to pursue it. I'm not his parent. I'm some dude on the internet that can give him some information on what he's interested in.

As it turns out, Dyncorp wants a year driving experience before they'll hire you. See, right there he'll run into his first road block. One he would not have hit had we all been hysterical in trying to convince him not to drive as a contractor.

Think if it like this: the media breathlessly reports every American killed overseas. When is the last time you heard of a truck driver buying the farm? Yeah, me neither.

2004 - 2011 was different time. Who knows, maybe nowadays you can drive from some supply point to Kandahar, make $150K a year and not worry about anything more than mosquitoes. I know I don't know what goes on over there anymore.

Tell you what though, I may look into this :)

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Driving Overseas

Https://dyncorp.jobs.net/en-US/job/truck-driver/J3F5X0746STRCBLF35S

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Driving Overseas

You'll never know until you apply.

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Driving Overseas

Buddy of mine told me he was making about 150K a year driving rigs in Iraq back in 2006 for DynCorp.

Posted:  9 months ago

How to lower blood pressure before DOT physical

NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and others all have the capacity to increase blood pressure. The average increase is small, but the actual amount of increase can vary widely from individual to individual. This effect occurs at doses that are typically used for pain relief and reduction of inflammation.

Posted:  9 months ago

Starting out as a new driver in LTL/linehaul

I concur with what 6 string said.

With FedEx Freight you'll work the dock till you get through the apprentice program and then after getting kicked-out on runs during the night hours when freight levels dictate it.

Pay is good and you'll get a variety of runs. FedEx Freight also works hard to make sure you get your 40hrs every week when freight levels are low. The union shops could care less and others are a hit or miss.

You can bid for city work when the twice a year bidding opens up and if there is a slot you can work days delivering freight local. Tough work but you'll get plenty of backing practice :)

If 6 string is right about SAIA expanding I'd look into that too. Nothing like getting in on the ground floor. Instant seniority which means road runs and little dock work.

Posted:  10 months ago

8 people found dead in tractor trailer

And using terms such as "the air conditioning unit was not working" is not giving an accurate description. Lousy journalism. Air conditioning would imply normally safe for people. This must have been a reefer..a refrigeration unit. What if it went the other way and they all froze to death?

Our press has gone to hell. Every news story is slanted. There is no unbiased journalism anymore. No one truly reports news, they give commentary and opinion.

I wonder if people would have seen it differently if there was some sort of porta pot on board and water with climate control. Had they gotten caught but all were well and given provisions would the ACLU come out and support the trucker with a "he was just trying to help.them get a better life".

Go check out the truckers in england who have to chase the illegals from hanging onto the truck and get fined even if they don't know they are there.

Ok let's not split hairs hear human smuggling is human trafficking, whether it's for prostitution or entering into the country. My point is this, no one wants to comment, why? Because it's a bunch of brown people? Where the !@&$! Is your humanity? Left it at the truck stop I guess. I can respect if the reason people don't comment is because "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". Fine. Rainy, you've always been a know it all, opinions on everything even when you know nothing on the subject. (I was really ticked off when in 1 thread you bashed local driving, when you only knew from what you heard from other drivers, that it didn't work out for) if you were keeping off this subject till you knew more, kudos for you. If you're happy people are dead because "they shouldn't have been here in the 1st place" may god help you

Here I'll comment. They should have stayed home. They should have stayed home and to escape a poor economy should have applied to come to the US the right way.

I blame the government who encourages this mass migration by illegal aliens. Both on the Mexican side and the American side. Many die in the desert without us even knowing about them. We get ten that die in a trailer and we're supposed to feel badly. I feel badly that they were sold a bill of goods that coming to the US was without the possibility of harm.

Strong borders would have prevented this.

Posted:  10 months ago

Medical card renewal

We get paid for the hours taken to do this.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

I'm a new member here, getting ready to enter the trucking industry.

My current boss strongly wants me to continue working for him and learn a'lot more about construction, but I really feel drawn to entering the trucking world. My boss knows I want to go drive truck, the last thing he told me when we talked about it was that if I stayed working for him until November(3 more months) he would have me sufficiently trained up in construction and bump me up to $18/hour. I went ahead and got pre-hired to go work for Transport America. Transport America told me they don't want to wait much longer for me to put off attending orientation and that the longer I put it off the harder it will be to get hired by a trucking company because of how long I've been out truck driving school.

My girlfriend is working on her Masters and just got hired on with the local school system as a school bus driver for $18 an hr. If that's what you want to make I suggest you check the local school systems and see what they hire at. Full benefits too!

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Top driver pay?

I see, so, the possibility of someone hitting those numbers is there, but from what I gather, that is really only going to be for the top drivers. I'm also seeing cpm numbers in this thread of .49 and .63 cpm. To me, those numbers seem out of the norm, considering most of your major carriers will start their drivers out between .36 and .43 cpm.

Also, raises seem to come at about .01 to .02 cpm per year. Does this sound right?

So, I'm going to guess that, generally, your average driver for a major carrier will be able to earn between 48k to 54k, after they have been with the company for a few years, and have learned the ropes. Does this sound accurate?

Just trying to see what the potential is out there.

LTL is just a different animal.

When I hired on with FXF, for road runs I would get $.50mi. After two years now I get $.55mi. Plus drop and hooks, refueling pay, etc.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Hazmat training discrepency?

Shipping Description

A correct shipping description includes many components, including the Basic Description. The Basic Description must be placed on a shipping paper in the sequence called for in ยง172.202(b) of the HMR. An easy way to remember the sequence is to use the acronym "ISHP": I-Identification Number, S-Proper Shipping Name, H-Hazard Class or Division, and P-Packing Group.

Guide for Preparing Shipping Papers

Posted:  11 months ago

Left turn signal trouble

Well, you can't 'check' the flasher. Replace the flasher :)

Posted:  11 months ago

Left turn signal trouble

If the bulb is snug and no apparent short, check the flasher.