Comments By Auggie69

https://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/JimmyB_05/FedEx%20Freight/FedEx_1700477.jpg avatar
  • Auggie69
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month ago

How much experience is needed to pull doubles?

Thank you both for your input!

Bobcat it looks like we would get an 8cent raise from our current pay if we pulled doubles. We get 60cents now and starting pay is 68 for doubles. Think that makes it worth it?

Thanks again!!

Of course it does. Pulling doubles isn't an issue. The issue is the pretrip for an extra trailer and dolly. That's why they pay you more. Though there are certain trailers that like to sway in the rear .....

Posted:  1 month ago

Returning to Trucking

Just who are you running for?

I went with Swift and quite happy that I did. The overall opportunities were the best option for me. I’ll be running a dedicated account once I finish up training. I like the dedicated thing. I see how my trainer has built relationships at many of the shippers and receivers. He also knows a lot of the truck stop employees because he’s in the same places so often. It makes things fairly routine. The new trucks with tv and refrigerators are really nice too. Hopefully I will run the east coast of Florida a lot so I can get by the house a couple times a week for my off duty time to shower eat and sleep. The 34 hour reset will always be at home.

Ah, missed that part.

Enjoy!

Posted:  1 month ago

Returning to Trucking

I have been out of business for a good 10 years. I drove OTR for about a year and then locally for about 9 years. The 9 years lead to sales jobs that lead to restaurant management and wife kids house dogs etc.

My question: can anyone give me some direction on what companies will bring me into their driver trainee program to get me back on the road. I’m open to whatever gets me back in the seat but would prefer a company I could stick with for a while/long term versus jumping ship after I get the 3-6 months most every company want to hire pretty much any driver with clean and safe record. Any help is much appreciated!

Just who are you running for?

Posted:  1 month ago

Changed my status

Im coming up to 3yrs so I changed my status from rookie to experienced. I think Ive found my retirement job hauling bulk flour, Ive been at it for 7 months now. This is the third company Ive driven for since getting my cdl, the first was a year and a half the second was 6 months. With this company Im home every other day and every weekend. Im doing 70hrs a week usually covering 2800 miles so Im busy enough. Just thought Id share. Keep safe and best of health.

You found your calling! Enjoy!

Posted:  1 month ago

How much experience is needed to pull doubles?

Hey everyone! Curious what the experts think is enough experience to start pulling doubles?? Our company offers an increase in pay for it so we are thinking about it but don't want to get ourselves in over our heads either! We have 4months driving now, things have been going really well for us, no major issues just lots of miles!!!

Thank you for your expertise!!

Hey Amber. I'm no expert, but I started my truck driving career pulling doubles. To be fair, a lot of my training involved hooking and pulling doubles. I struggled with hooking a set at first, but it got easier with time. I've had a few nervous moments. One of them involves heavy winds and an empty rear trailer. If the lead is really heavy and the rear is really light it'll sway a lot.

Another one was when I wasn't sure where I was going and when I figured it out, I had to drive through some unfamiliar local streets with a set. It worked out, but it was a nervous drive.

The biggest pain is backing. I've never heard of a company allowing people to back a set so I'd be willing to bet your company has a policy against it, but I've seen it done. I've attempted it out of curiosity and I can't do it. You have to break your set, drop your dolly, drop trailer 1 and then go back for number 2.

That's all I can think of at them moment. If you have more questions please post them. As far as I know Bob, Auggie and I are the only active members here that pull sets.

I try to do it from time to time. It amazes me to watch a guy driving for quite some time do it effortlessly.

Of course, we aren't supposed to do it AT ALL! ;)

Posted:  1 month ago

Brothers company won’t pay promised bonus..

He’s worried if he presses the issue, due to the situation out there, they’ll just fire him.

If it's in a contract they sure as hell "owe him"

You can bet if the shoe was on the other foot these other comments on this thread would be that he OWES the company his word and his honor to fulfill his contract. Well, by God, that works both ways.

Have him review his contract and make contact with the company to discuss. If they are indeed having financial issues, negotiate a future payment or more cents per mile. If he's a go-getter like you say, they'll take him up on the offer.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Not sure what the next step is

Generally, they are but with all this going on they're eating less.

I don't know how that can be true. I'm hearing reports from quarantined folks that are gaining weight. People are procuring their food from different places, but not necessarily eating less. Grocery store sales have increased. That's not just from hoarding, because a lot of people have no extra money to hoard goods.

People aren't eating out like they were, but that's just because the opportunities are really limited. There really is just a sudden change in primary sources for food. That disrupts all the supply chains, which affects various facets of food transportation. Truck services delivering to restaurants are basically really slow now. Grocery store distribution systems are on the uptick.

Farmers and meat plants here are shutting down because they're losing money staying in business.

The reason for certain farms and food production plants shutting down is simply that they had their sales and transportation systems aligned with the restaurant food supply chain. Their production methods, packaging sizes, and their distribution lanes are non effective now. They've got to re-vamp everything to get their product moving. That's the issue with food delivery right now.

Read another article just today of a pork plant shutting down. They process 19,000 pigs a day. That is now gone. Plan that out up and down the supply chain to figure out the damage.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Truck driving classes in spanish?

Auggie thinks:

Yeah, I don't think the English requirement is enforced to any great extent.

I think it actually is...

Unless the DOT CDL examiner speaks fluent Spanish, how will they know if the person they are testing thoroughly knows the PTI? How will they verbally communicate instructions issued during the skills and road test?

Sorry Auggie, finding it difficult to completely agree with your thought process here.

Not unexpected.

Sorry, but nobody is that stupid. Lack of English language skills is the only explanation.

I was not completely agreeing with your enforcement point.

That said...I think stupidity is a common cause of accidents like you described.

Could be. In this case it's definitely NOT rocket science.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Truck driving classes in spanish?

Auggie thinks:

Yeah, I don't think the English requirement is enforced to any great extent.

I think it actually is...

Not unexpected.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Truck driving classes in spanish?

Luis, I'm sorry but using English is actually a requirement:

Section §391.11 General qualifications of drivers.

(b) Except as provided in subpart G of this part, a person is qualified to drive a motor vehicle if he/she—

(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records;

I do not know of any measure or test that will tell if your English ability is good enough, but I suggest that you learn to read these things without too much help:

The practice tests are at a level of English you'll need to read.

As you spend more time on our society, try to avoid using Spanish as much as you can - then when you find yourself thinking in English, you will be close to the required fluency. Luis, I am giving you this special advice as I speak from experience. I was born in California, (so I already know English) but in college I studied the Chinese language, I even traveled to Taiwan and stayed there eight months. By living there and speaking only Chinese, I was mostly fluent in about 6 months. Do the best you can, Luis!

One idea is to apply to the UPS or an LTL company (Like Old Dominion, Estes, or ABF). Most often these companies hire you to work on the loading dock (no license required), then you will be able to transfer to the trucks after some time on the dock.

Yeah, I don't think the English requirement is enforced to any great extent.

A buddy of mine sent me a pic of a crushed trailer at the Costco DC in Monrovia, MD. If you do NOT follow the signage to the DC the road will veer towards a low bridge. There are multiple signs, a flashing light if your rig is too high AND CHAINS THAT HIT YOUR TRUCK IF YOU'RE TOO TALL!!!

And yet, truckers try to go under this bridge everytime.

Not to equate the two but it's either stupidity or lack of English skills.

0763885001587217911.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Lumpers: Highest You Had To Pay

HA, CT! It sounds like nowadays they're mostly used in food and grocery warehouse/distribution so you're probably safe. smile.gif

Thank you for the answer, Old School, I understand.

Talked to a Wise chip trucker at a Food Lion DC.

He told me he has a choice to have the company pay the lumpers or they pay him to do it himself.

I asked him how much and he said '$9.00'.

'$9.00hr'?

No, $9.00.

LOL! For an entire 53ft trailer?

Yup.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Afraid to start driving again.

Thanks for the replies guys. My brother told me the other day that there are a few truck drivers where he works that made over 200k last year. That's VERY hard to believe.

Senior guys at FXF on long runs can easily make 120K+ a year. Long runs being 660 miles per day at .67 per mile. Plus Drop and Hook, Turns, Fuel, etc.

200K. Wow. Show me the money :)

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

I just got a message in my inbox the other day that WM is looking to hire 500 more drivers nationwide by July. Additionally, dedicated carriers are being "reduced or released". What does that mean? I don't know. I'm just glad I'm staying busy.

Interesting. So Walmart is bringing jobs in-house? Hmmmmm.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Afraid to start driving again.

I almost got a job with Ups as a feeder driver off the street. I just couldnt get off work at Old dominion to take the road test so they forgot about me. In my area by Philly they Hr at the willow grove facility said they needed 40 drivers this year and probably another 50 in 2020. ( pre covid of course) I know in Harrisburg also middletown now because they built a super hub or whatever they call it they were hiring some crazy number like 200 plus drivers. All I know from my limited exposure with them and a few close friends who now work for them, Ups is in a real bind with hiring feeder drivers and will hire them off the street by the dozens. They say the package drivers are signing up for the transition into feeder drivers less and less, then on top of that the ones that actually follow through in get into a cdl a truck are about 1%. Ups is a tough outfit to work for with all of their rules and micro managing , but well worth it when the new contract ,up in this area ,is someone around 40 dollars an hour overtime after 8. With attrition you can get high up on that seniority board real quick.

I dunno maybe when all of this covid stuff dies down i might give it another go.

just my .02

And Feeder drivers are NOT UPS Freight drivers.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Afraid to start driving again.

Apply as a package car driver and after a few years you'll make better money than their freight drivers.

Is that true? They really make more money than the freight guys?

Being it's union it's ... complicated :)

In a nutshell, the "new" PC drivers are called 22.4 drivers under the new contract. They make LESS than the guys who currently drive UPS package cars. But the language in the new contract also allowed the company to expand the driver pool to those who didn't work for UPS, hence "hiring off the street" which UPS has really never done. I think the existing union PC drivers will continue to make more but the new 22.4 drivers (hired off the street), also called "Combination Drivers", will be $20.50 and reach a top rate of $34.79 by August 1, 2022.

I do believe their top rate is higher than the UPS Freight guys.

And I do know the existing UPS PC drivers definitely make more than the Freight guys.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

My terminal hasn't had to lay anyone off yet, we have been fortunate to stay just busy enough.

Also found out my cousin who is a nurse in a senior center is in the hospital with it.

Think we may go to voluntary furloughs here in the next few weeks.

Four months paid health and ability to get state and federal unemployment. Other LTLs like Pyle are doing a 15% pay cut. Think I'd rather get the Uncle Sugar kicker than work the 40 and make pauper's pay.

I see other OD terminals are laying off. You guys also furloughing?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Question about temporary employment during this corona crisis

So I Applied to a few of the companies that contract with Amazon and got a few offers. They all offer same benefits and pay the same so I went with the one that started earliest in the morning, 9am, the others started around 11ish-Noon. Had an online interview/orientation yesterday through Zoom. Currently waiting for an email telling me where to go to take drug test. Hoping to start sometime this coming week. Looks like I’m gonna sling some packages until the Corona storm settles.

There are a few similarities to trucking. I have to pre and post trip the van each day. They have a digital kind of bill of lading that I need to make sure matches the packages going on my van. Theres an app that tracks your driving and scores you accordingly, have to maintain an 800 or better to be considered safe and keep position.

Although I’m happy to get out and do something for now, I hope to be back on track to start my trucking career sometime in the summer

good-luck-2.gif

So what does it pay? And are you a 1099?

I'm sure I'm not the only one curious :)

I understand *why* you're doing it, just want to know the details.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Afraid to start driving again.

Hi guys. My brother works for ups and said right now they're hiring drivers off the street. I obtained a cdl back in june of 2018 and I haven't used it since. My driving record was too bad back then but now it has cleared up. I dont know if ups or any company would even accept my cdl as valid. I am afraid of getting back into a big truck again. One thing I hated in training was all the shifting. I was pretty good at it but I'd much rather have an automatic. That way I can focus on driving and handling the rig rather than up shifting or down shifting at the right rpm. What do you guys think? What should I do?

UPS has been hiring package car drivers off the street. I doubt they are hiring CDL drivers right now.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

I agree with G-Town. We are super busy at the Johnstown grocery DC. They've done a good job of re-deploying us to different areas to keep up with the ebb and flow of freight as needed. I turn and burn on every trip.

We're slowing down now. About 25% off of last year at this time

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

The "Boogey Man" Virus

Being on a dedicated account, I oftentimes go to repeat customers. Some of them I go to enough that they know me by name. Everybody has new procedures and protocols in place now to accommodate this whole "social distancing" experiment.

One of my customers had a sign up telling us to un-tarp and un-strap after driving into the building, and then lay our paperwork on the bed of the trailer. They would then unload it, sign the bills, and leave it on the trailer. It said, "Do not get out of your cab until the fork lift driver signals you with three short beeps on his horn." Then we were allowed to get out and grab our paperwork!

At the Hydro plant in Cressona, PA I headed for the guard shack just like I've done for the past five and a half years, and I find the door is locked. The guard comes to the glass door and shouts through the glass for me to stand back eight feet and he will bring my bills out and set them on the table just outside the door. Then I have to wait until I hear him lock the door back before I can advance to the table and sign my bills! He then waits for me to leave before gathering them up.

I'm about sick of this "Boogey Man" altering our everyday behavior. Before the guard closed the door behind him, as he returned to his protective lair, he looked back at me saying, "Geesh Dale, whoever thought it would get to this? I feel like I'm playing a part in a science fiction movie." He is right - that's kind of how it feels. I feel like I'm re-living an episode of "The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers."

I seriously question this whole approach to battling a virus. It seems most healthy people can deal with it successfully. If more of us could be exposed, then more of us would develop anti-bodies. That seems to me the fastest way to eliminate the threat. Why can't we concentrate on protecting our senior citizens and other highly vulnerable people while the vast numbers of healthy people develop a natural resistance to this. Avoiding a virus doesn't eliminate it. Developing an active defense mechanism kills it.

What do I know about fighting the "Boogey Man?" Nothing! I'm just a dumb truck driver who still has some modicum of common sense.

Once we have a significant part of our population with effective anti-bodies we could harvest their blood plasma and give it to the vulnerable folks. OMG, that's just too simple isn't it!

I'm not scared of the "Boogey Man," but these nut jobs in D.C. are literally frightening.

Couple of my locals apologized and said I have to sit in my truck while they unload me.

Really? You want me to sit on my as while you work? Break my heart :)