Comments By Frito

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/freightliner-trucks-classic.jpg avatar
  • Frito
  • Comments:

Compact fridge versus 12 volt cooler

So far I really like this 1.7 cu/ft fridge. I know for the same price you can essentially get that larger 3 ft one like my trainer had but it simply took up so much room in exchange for what was typically needed for a week. I think there can be overkill. I'm just using it for could cuts, cheeses and some milk/juice. Canned drinks will still go to the cooler as they don't mind the slushy mess that develops by day 2-3. This thing sits comfortably out of the way. No built in cabinet here large enough for the 3 footer.

Compact fridge versus 12 volt cooler

Any idea why my inverter is making a brief chirping noise as the compressor kicks in on the fridge? I'm getting use to it but in the dark silence at night I'd prefer not to hear that.

Compact fridge versus 12 volt cooler

Went with a insignia 1.7 cu ft fridge... Sits perfectly on one of the bunk side table tops. Best buy,$89.

Personality conflict?

*prefer

Personality conflict?

I just spent 5 weeks in OTR training and don't think I said 2 words to a fellow trucker, much less any interaction that could potentially create conflict. Everybody just seemed to be doing their job. Yes, you turn on the CB and it suddenly seems like you are surrounded by the most crude and intolerant pigs on earth but in reality they seem to be simply hiding behind a mike, a puffed out chest and a host of insecurities. My impression is this job requires a set of balls ( figuratively speaking, no offense ladies), it's a tough world. I'd say, just put yours on, regardless of who you'd preder touch them in private, and do your job. I suspect all will be fine.

Compact fridge versus 12 volt cooler

Thanks.. The truck has an APU that monitors battery life/ charge so I'm good there.

Compact fridge versus 12 volt cooler

I was issued my 2013 prostar today and was curious about thoughts regarding small fridge versus 12 volt cooler....one versus the other.... Ice in a cooler is sorta a pain.

Time to choose

I'm training in the Volvo. I feel it has less space than the cascadia I drove in school albeit a fridge and microwave are taking up space. My instructor says the international and cascadia have similar room. I personally am hoping for one of the latter once released from training.

Starting Pay For Schneider

Oh yeh, .37/mile once out of training with regular raises.

Starting Pay For Schneider

Errol your new avatar is disturbing to look at. In a word, creepy.

Starting Pay For Schneider

Averitt. Paid orientation, nothing but professionalism, organization, courtesy and respect. 6 weeks of training at $600/week. Clean, modern, apu equipped automatic trucks with some of the latest safety technology. First week of OTR training never stepped foot into a dirty truck stop or spent a dime. Stayed at company service centers with showers, ammenites and fuel. I have absolutely no complaints other than the fact that the 2015 Volvo we are in shakes the bubbles out of my drink in the cup holder. I love the place so far.

Starting Pay For Schneider

I went through the entire process up to setting up a date for orientation. They offered .30/ mile to start. I looked at all they were offering and the training schedule. I went elsewhere and couldn't be happier. Personally I think the bonuses they are offering are just a carrot that in reality is what they should be paying from day one. An illusion if you will.

Automatic Transmissions

Loving, loving, loving the automatics at Averitt. Driving them may not MAKE you forget but rather make you WANT to forget.... IMHO.

Newbie help and advice in job searching

If my memory serves me correctly heartland requires a year experience but again worth a call. US xpress's is big on teaming and quite frankly was a close second to Schneider. I'm sure someone will chime in quickly about the perception of more money teaming as well as its drawbacks ( at least that's been my experience here). I too considered teaming but I have reservations about sleeping while some essentially total stranger has my life in their hands. I'm still open to the idea after getting to know some of the company drivers. I believe USX will send two new hires out as a team unless you live very close to a large domicile. I think there have been some recent ownership changes at Conway. Worth a Google search too.

Newbie help and advice in job searching

I agree with Errol that it's worth a call but I will add this. Reviewing my recently issued service center map I see Averitt has no facilities in IA. The company requires the equipment be parked on company property and further goes on to try and get you home weekly so unfortunately I see a potential issue with your location. Further, my CDL instructor recruited for Averitt for many years. He once told us about interviewing a solid potential driver that lived 3 miles (I believe) outside the hiring zone. They rejected him based on location. Again, it's worth a call but I feel they publish a hiring map for reasons that they follow. FWIW, in terms of professionalism from the recruiters, Schneider was my second choice and likely hiring in your area. Again, best of luck. Single and unattached I suppose relocating is an option as well.

Newbie help and advice in job searching

John I have had nothing but a positive and professional experience as a new hire with Averitt Express. The company offers numerous opportunities for their employees though out the system and a solid affordable benefits package. Provided you are in their hiring area I'd encourage you to explore the comprehensive company website. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions regarding the hiring process and orientation through PM. Best of luck. Your options are many but I feel Averitt is worth strong consideration. They have met or exceeded all my expectations.

Best company for a beginner

I will send you a PM.

Best company for a beginner

Thanks Sue. Averitt has met or exceeded all my expectations. I have absolutely zero reservations about my choice and am proud to be a part of the organization. Should the company come up on your radar as a possibility I will be happy to share my experiences so far.

Best company for a beginner

Camille I just finished orientation with Averitt. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about them and am very pleased with my decision. If after researching them on your own should you have any questions about the organization Id be happy to answer them via PM as best I can. I had many options for my first company and I feel certain I've made the right choice for me personally with Averitt. If you qualify, they WILL take care of you.

Inguinal hernias

From the FMCSA part 391.43:

Genital-urinary and rectal examination. - A urinalysis is required. Protein, blood or sugar in the urine may be an indication for further testing to rule out any underlying medical problems. Note hernias. A condition causing discomfort should be evaluated to determine the extent to which the condition might interfere with the control and safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle.

The way I read it is that it's up to the MD. That being said I can see where the hiring company might have some reservations as the condition can be exacerbated by heavy lifting, obviously a component of the job, typically.