Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

5 years, 3 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Mclane?

Got a phone interview tomorrow.

From what the recruiter told me I would be driving up to Raton,NM trading trailers and then come back to Albuquerque. 450 miles round trip with pay of .46 a mile. Usually working 4 days with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off or Monday, Tuesday, Friday off. Beginning at 1700 and ending around 0700.

Dependent on how busy it is we may do 5 days on. Regardless two days off instead of just a 34 sounds great.

Let them know of my preventables and according to the manager interviewing me tomorrow, it shouldnt be a problem. Hope it works out and that I get on with them.

450 miles X .46cpm = $207

450 miles X 4 days = 1800 miles weekly

1800 miles X .46cpm = $828 GROSS weekly

You said shift is 1700 to 0700 which means 14 hour days.

Since this is a local job let's break it down to hourly pay which we never should do on an OTR job. $207 X 14 = $14.78 per hour

It's difficult to turn down a job but this is one I wouldn't even consider especially considering you'll be working 14 hour shifts overnight.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Mclane?

Sorry, not that anyone asked but I don't think that's a good opportunity.

That overnight shift is brutal and you'll have extremely low miles every week multiplied by only .46cpm means you're not going to be making any money. You'll probably have to remain on the night shift on your days off unless you're good at flip-flopping.

.46cpm is really, really low for a shuttle run. If I were you I would wait a little longer and get more experience and try to get another opportunity.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

WHY DO CSR DO THIS ?

Welcome to the daily life of my wife, she is a dispatcher and talks to warehouse managers, brokers, csr, and everyone else on an hourly basis. Except the only difference is when this happens they go straight to attack mode on the dispatcher who they accuse of "lying to them followed by a few insults."

Anyways, just brush it off. Just a simple miscommunciation. Next time don't accept a load unless you're 110% sure you have enough hours to complete it. So in the end you could have prevented this from happening by not being late.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Swift Upgrade Test

I totally understand where you're coming from.

The answer is whichever terminal is larger.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

So Many PRIME-ary Colors...

I remember they just introduced those at Prime many years ago when I drove for them. They were very strict about all trucks having them on when they first bought them. No idea what it is now, but they urged L/O to purchase them.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Here's what I'm up to now

Forgot to mention, my shift is 0700-1800. Banker hours!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Here's what I'm up to now

Don't go on here nearly as much as I used to but I'm still trucking (and always will be).

About a year ago I quit my tanker gig and it has been the best decision I have ever made in regards to trucking. I wasn't happy doing that job (sometimes I let my frustration show on here, for that I apologize).

I left OTR in hopes of getting my life back but I lost it more than ever on that tanker job. I worked 6pm-6am on a rotating schedule so my days off were never the same. We worked weekends, holidays, and nights and as much as 65 hours per week. 65 hours was easy for me OTR, but on a local physical job 65 hours is brutal especially on a night shift.

Each facility we loaded in had their own, different expectations and policies. Its an extremely dangerous and difficult job to learn. The pay used to be the best in the industry when Arco (BP) and Chevron had their own fleets but they sold their work to carriers. The pay dropped from a six figure salary to about 55 gross. My first year I made $23/hr and grossed $52,000, my second year I made $25/hr and grossed $62,000 and there wasn't much more to make. In those 2 years I had 2 coworkers die on the job. Every night was a struggle with druggies approaching me with a cigarette in their hand asking me for money or people driving recklessly and way too close to my work area.

I just really wasn't happy. I really wanted more of a "normal" life and I felt the job was turning me into a person I didn't want to be.

So with 5 years of experience back then (3 OTR, 2 local gas tanker) I began my search for my next job.

Luckily, I got blessed with exactly what I wanted. I now happily work at Old Dominion and you couldn't drag me away.

I opted for city driving as I think Linehaul is far too boring. Being a city driver we have every weekend, holiday, and OD even gives you your birthday off. The pay starts at $23.50-$25.00/hr depending on experience and tops at $28.73/hr and has risen every year for the past 5 years. I average 53 hours per week with the option to work Saturday for the extra pay.

It took 8 months, but I finally landed myself a route. So I deliver to the same areas everyday and go to the same shippers. My route uses a 48' trailer with a liftgate. There's a few tight places on my route but once you've been there a few times you know the drill.

Its the best work/life balance job I have ever seen in this industry while still making a good salary. Me and my wife now both work the same schedules, both have weekends off and both attend church on Sunday just like I have hoped for.

So that's where I'm at. I love this industry and don't see myself doing anything else.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Double clutch

Perhaps his next employer can teach him?

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Quirky Habits & great sites.

As a local driver I go under hundreds of low trees and rub against many branches.

At the end of the day I count how many leafs and twigs got inside my truck. Was pretty cool, a week ago I got a small twig inside my lunch box.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Failed Upgrade at Swift, What Happens Now?

Is this his first failed test? Companies usually give you a few chances or they send you back out with a trainer.

They have already invested greatly in him, I doubt they will throw him away because he failed the first time. Stop worrying so much.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

How to hook up gaming consoles (like Xbox One S) inside truck

I have a Ps4 and desktop computer in my truck. My TV is 40", but because Swift uses shorter sleepers on the flatbed trucks, it won't fit at the end of my bed (shelf behind the passenger seat curves out and over the bed). So I made a couple of brackets and when I park I hang it on the top center shelf in the cascadia. When I'm driving it is laying face down on my bed with my blanket over it.

I don't do much gaming, but I use my chromecast to watch the Braves game most nights. I only really play my Ps4 on 34 hour resets or if I'm shut down earlier in the day with a late start the next day. I use my iPad as a Hotspot whenever I want to play online or download updates.

0072203001527637475.jpg

Be real careful laying a tv face down while driving my friend (even on a mattress). The road will eventually break it.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Looking for CDL Training Companies, No Work History a Problem?

My comment from earlier stands to be even more true with even more evidence. Funny stuff!

Most older people I know grew up with a far different mentality, lots more struggles and wars. I can only imagine how it must be for an elderly person who has gone through all the stuff I just mentioned to have to see how these kids nowadays are growing up.

If you can't handle a forum then I just don't know what to say to you my fellow young man.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Looking for CDL Training Companies, No Work History a Problem?

I love folks my age (20's), they're so quick tempered and get so upset when they don't get things their way.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

How to hook up gaming consoles (like Xbox One S) inside truck

I played my xbox one all the time when I was OTR. I used my phones hotspot for the internet and i had a 32" tv tucked away at the end of my bed and wrapped it in a blanket to cushion it. Its very easy to so especially if you have an APU.

Also, add me on Xbox Live (GT- Dan and Olga)

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Werner hit with 90 million dollar lawsuit

Its the world we live in. Lawsuits for all!

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Just a heads up.....

You guys need to download Rand McNally program on your computer and plug in the GPS into the computer. Use the program to scan for errors and/or damaged files (it'll fix them) and most importantly scan for updates. An outdated GPS tends to crash and freeze often, even moreso with damaged/corrupt files.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

Thrilled that this thread is still an aid to folks.

Be sure to check out Adventures of Daniel B. for an in depth view of life on the road. A must read!

Posted:  1 month ago

My update from the Prime Inc Tanker division

Icecold...

do you pay for hoses like the tarps and load locks? How much?

No we do buy our fittings. They are $500 I think and come out at $30 a week. Very reasonable. Actually I even snagged some extras for free at the Decatur tanker terminal.

No, that's not reasonable. You're a company driver you shouldn't be burdened with having to buy your own equipment.

Posted:  1 month ago

Small companies..what to look for?

Most likely its as a 1099. I would avoid.

Posted:  1 month ago

Mentor is out of control. Is this stuff typical?

We were at a stop-light, and he was ****ed off about something the Office said to him. So he picked a fight with another driver over the radio, they both pulled over, and they both went at each other like rock-em-sockem robots, shook hands and he just goes back to driving. I had never seen any **** like this before.

As a fellow Russian this is completely normal behavior. Have you ever Youtube'd fights on the side of the road? Or road rage videos? All those videos are Russians. In my culture it is totally normal and understandable to pull off the side of the road abruptly and fist fight.

In fact, if you didn't tell us this, then I would be very worried.