Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

6 years, 8 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

What my dream trucking job?

Old Dominion

7am to 5:30pm

M-F

Weekends/Holidays/Birthday off.

Gross about 1600 per week.

It exists.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

My 10 Year TT Anniversary...

I'm just about at 7 years! (Profile is incorrect)

shocked.png

Posted:  6 months ago

Post trip inspection

Log both Pre and Post Inspections. 12 minutes each is safe.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

My wife is the dispatcher for a small trucking company. About 12 trucks most are O/O's.

She deals with brokers, negotiates prices, safety, ifta, permits. You name it, she does it. Company has been in business for 5 years. I've learned a ton about the logistics side of the business from her and helping her here and there. She's been at it for 3 years now.

Its definitely different. But her job is amazing no doubt about it. I would choose dispatching at a small firm over a large carrier any day. First driving I wouldn't though.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

C.R. England To Pay Truckers $37.8M Settlement Over “Predatory” Lease-To-Own Program

Central Refrigerated was the same when when they hired me. Their leasing program was absolutely crammed down your throat until you believed what they said or until you felt forced to sign.

I really enjoyded how Prime operated. I don't think their program is a fraud, definitely overpriced though.

Posted:  7 months ago

My satanic fifth wheel

Here's an idea. If there's a dashboard button that will unhook it then it will be air powered also if that makes sense.

If you're toggling that dashboard release button and its still not unlocking then next time you disconnect look between your fifth wheel and cab and search for a disconnected air line. Usually it should be running along the inside of the frame and may be difficult to find.

Also, before you try to disconnect set your trailer brakes but NOT your tractor brakes. With the trailer brakes engaged reverse the truck into the trailer hard. The kingpin could be up against your locking jaws and the friction may make it difficult to release.

Posted:  7 months ago

Gotta love waiting at shippers!

At OD we dont wait longer than around 1.5 hours. At that point we inform dispatch and we up and leave. It feels great

Posted:  7 months ago

Best Fleets to Drive for 2018 in Commercial Carrier Journal

My goal had I not gotten a linehaul job was to drive for Nussbaum Transportation after I got the 2 years experience they required. I liked the way there trucks and terminal look, and heard only good things about them.

No longer needed. You're at the top of the world with me!

smile.gif

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

YRC's long-haul unit and 2 key regional units could go out of business if unionized workers vote down a tent. CBA

Or they can go to OD and make 30$ per hour and not deal with this union crap

Posted:  8 months ago

Pre-Trip Inspection Preparation

Glad to hear my Pre-Trip helped!

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

NV allows triples when conditions are safe.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

How where they?

We have one triple run out of our yard, but I think I will stick with 2 for now.

Stick with 2

smile.gif

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

Finally I can take this off my bucket list.

0575128001552446329.jpg

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Hourly Pay vs Mileage Pay

All this complaining about local work... i think ya'll are only thinking about food delivery local work. Which really is the worst type of local work requiring an insane amount of physical labor.

Why anyone would want to unload an entire trailer themselves full of boxes and work 13 hours and 45 minutes only to come back exactly 10 hours later is beyond me. Look into P&D work. I do 8am to 6pm M-F and make more than most OTR drivers (70k+) and don't come home with a hurt body.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Looking For Feedback - Would You Guys Like To See Today's Trucking News Headlines? Give me some ideas

Only if we have Anchorman hosting it (old timers know who I'm talking about)

Posted:  8 months, 4 weeks ago

Parking Shortage Blamed on Truckers

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I actually do blame truckers slightly for this issue.

Everywhere truckers park you can bet on 1 thing; trash and **** bottles on the ground. Next thing you know they need to employ someone just to clean up after grown men so the place doesn't end up looking like a trash facility.

Truckers are great at shooting themselves in the foot then crying foul.

Truckers manipulated their logbooks in illegal ways to drive illegally and drive for insane amounts of hours, now they take to the highways in "slow rolls" to show their displeasure while inconveniencing totally innocent motorists.

Most truckers dont know what a garbage can is and use **** bottles (none of my business) but then just throw it on the highways or parking areas. Making the words "Sanitary" and "Parking Spot" almost impossible to exist in the same sentence.

I'm sorry fellow drivers. But a lot of our problems are self-inflicted.

Let the debate begin (popcorn)

Posted:  9 months ago

Truck Recovery After Abandonment

First truck was also a recovery truck. Not something I would do again.

Flew to Portland, OR from SLC. Truck was in the yard and filthy. Mattress was dirt brown. Strange residue on walls. Dog poop on floor and a foul odor.

I had to clean it out as best as I can but I truly was not ready for that. Unfortunately I slept in the bed because the company wouldn't buy me a hotel and I sure as heck didn't have money for it.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Detention - A problem still in search of a solution

I was told that when I was waiting at a stop, I could put myself off duty. Is that correct?

Put yourself on Sleeper Berth when waiting at a Shipper/Receiver.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Dry Ice?

I bought dry ice one time to keep raw meat frozen while OTR. I had no idea what it actually was. I took it out of the packaging and gripped it in my hands to put it in my cooler.

I almost died.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Super Singles or Dual?

Duals for sure. They have better traction and ppsi and you're not stuck on the side of the road if one blows.