Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

7 years, 10 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Old dominion training

Going the dock route isn't a bad route. They'll have you yard hostle so you'll have a massive advantage with backing when you go out to do training. Pay isn't terrible.

Every terminal is different with their requirements.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Advice for a woman of a potential OTR trucker

Look into LTL. Every LTL company is hurting badly right now and he could definitely capitalize on this opportunity. Home everyday and local work. He can do city driving (which I don't recommend for rookies) or Linehaul (driving hub to hub). Don't jump to the first opportunity you get.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Old dominion training

You don't need to move to Sacramento (you wouldn't want to, believe me...). You apply to the position in Vegas and once hired you work the dock until the next class starts assuming you get approved. Could be months or weeks, if my memory is correct we had 2 or 3 classes held in N Cal last year. You won't just get hired and go straight to school the following day.

Let's assume your schooling is in Sacramento. You won't be here long. You arrive here for 3 days of yard training. Day 1 of yard training is heavy pre-trip with straight line backing. Day 2 we add offset backing with alley dock. Day 3 we add a parallel parking course. All days we have a truck running for shifting practice. That concludes week 1.

Week 2 you'll do classroom M-F (back for a few hours of yard training on Friday to end). The classroom portion is hosted by the regional safety meeting. She does a great job, is backed by over 20 years experience, and has a genuine passion for this stuff. This concludes week 2.

At this point you're back to Vegas. It is now your responsibility to get that permit asap. Your trainer is ready for you and everything is in line for you to begin. As soon as you get your permit you hit the road for a minimum of 190 hours then get your CDL. After you get your CDL you go with a linehaul trainer for roughly 2 weeks.

After that you do an extremely thorough driving exam with the regional safety manager. If you pass then you're solo enjoying your .70cpm+ pay. Its not hard to hit 6 figures as LH.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Old dominion training

Hey there. I am a P/D driver at OD in Sacramento and one of three trainers in the Northern CA region. You will most likely be going to Rialto for training. Just like every other company, we are starting to be extremely understaffed for driving positions. Its near impossible to hire a good driver due to covid since no one wants to leave the security of their current job. So they opened the training program to anyone (usually they required a year or two of dock work). I highly encourage you to join asap as the next class is nearing capacity. They only do it once every few months. This one is aiming to be had for February but that's not verified neither is the location. If its in Northern CA you'll see me.

Posted:  1 month ago

Slip seating

The key is to find an older truck no one wants to drive and make it known its yours. Park in same spot. Cone it off. It takes time but eventually you'll own a truck that isn't assigned to you but everyone knows its yours. This is what I did and I have been driving the same truck for 9 months without sharing it ever at OD.

Posted:  1 month ago

I Think It's Time to Move On

Go city dude

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Question for my fellow LTLers or anyone really

OD SAC, CA terminal here. We are slammed as well. They are asking guys to work Saturday doing city deliveries. Having trouble finding dock workers since people would rather stay home and get paid and having a tough time finding drivers too. I'm the one who does the drive test for new hires and I haven't been getting as many as I used to. We are hiring about 11 contractors everyday to help.

Posted:  2 months ago

CDC releases lates COVID-19 guidelines for truckers

My parents fled their country because of communism and government control. Now its finding its way back to us again.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Look what I got.

I was never a fan of being the 1st driver of a new truck. In my experiences the first 50k miles the truck spends way too much time in the shop sorting out the kinks but then again maybe I just got unlucky. Congratulations to you nonetheless 👏

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

I've Been Sick This Week

Love you Mr.Dale. It was a pleasure meeting you several times and having dinner with you. You will pioneer through this just like everything else. God bless you

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Questions On Riding With My Boyfriend

Why did Swift deny him? I mean this in no disrespect, but if Swift denied him then that's really bad as they accept just about anyone. At this point I would just apply to all companies using the link below and see if anyone else bites.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Questions On Riding With My Boyfriend

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Driver appreciation week

Doesn't take that long if you do it yourself.

smile.gif

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Anyone know what this was

Trailer x-ray

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Daniel B.

Im trying to get Pete's contact information so I can meet up with him. Why is it taking forever for my posts to be approved to be put on the forum? Why is this even a thing?

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Daniel B.

Add a reply here when you expect to arrive, I keep checking back.

When are you expecting to leave the truck stop tomorrow?

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Daniel B.

I should be there and parked by 1330, at the latest.

Send me an email at truckerdan44@yahoo.com so I can give you my contact info

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Daniel B.

I should be there and parked by 1330, at the latest.

Okay. Email me at truckerdan44@yahoo.com and Ill give you my contact info

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Daniel B.

Of course! I can stop by after church probably between 1300-1800.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

I am looking at starting with Wilson Logistics - What ELD do they use

Why does it matter? Among all the questions there is to ask about a company, why this one?