Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

9 years, 9 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  3 months ago

My fastest yet

I feel bad for my car if I push 80mph

Posted:  3 months ago

Our long-time-ago member Jopa has passed away

Not sure how many folks are here that have been here for 8+ years but if you have been you probably remember Jopa! He was our resident old man who went to Prime but experienced a ton of hardship getting into the program due to medications. He was always cracking jokes and had a great personality (albeit a bit grumpy but that comes with age).

Unfortunately he passed away last week. He's in Heaven now.

Jopa's Profile

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

ODFL annual pay increase

We will be at .7688 if my math is correct.

Are you guys staying busy? Our P&D guys are struggling to get 40 hours a week at times. They are granting a lot of unpaid days off right now as well if you want one.

Yeah we are busy. At least I am. I'm #11 Seniority but my start time is at 0900 (for family reasons) so I'm starting with the rookie, low Seniority guys. Needless to say they always have 2-6 stops and I get the 12-18 stoppers + pickups. So I'm busy I don't know about them. Our Lead Driver Trainer stepped down so I'm running the ODTDT program now so I'm constantly having to check up on students and trainers and manage all of that.

As far as freight we are busy but not slammed. Its nothing like it was in the past few summers but its busy enough to easily get all the hours you want.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Six Months Driving LTL. Time to get LCV Certified!

Learn and study the "crack the whip effect". Also, know when you can and cannot haul triples and where you can and cannot before you begin.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

ODFL annual pay increase

Every August Old Dominion hosts a Wages & Benefits meeting for every terminal. In these meetings they reveal new pay raises they call "cost of living raise" as well as any (if any) changes to the benefits package.

These meetings are hosted by people very high in the company which is amazing considering how large OD has become. This year our Regional Manager hosted it. In the past we have had fine folk like David Bates (Senior VP - Operations) host it. I have personally met him a few times as well as others. In my opinion its unheard to actually meet the top guys for a company with 25,000 employees. One of the many reasons every OD driver will tell you with absolute confidence that this is the best carrier.

New Pay is as follows (CA)

Linehaul will top out at .80cpm!!!

P&D Drivers new top pay is $35.35 per hour!!!

Dockworker new top pay is $30.05 per hour!!!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

So you Want to run local???

I run a lot of mountain cities around Sacramento. Just today I was exiting a residential delivery and I was literally an inch from the guys post on his driveway on my exit and the ground was uneven. If I went fast the trailer would have swayed left right and it would have hit his post. So I had to move 2 inches at a time to prevent the trailer from swaying too hard to avoid hitting the post. I would move 2 inches forward and stop to let the trailer settle down. Rinse and repeat to exit. Yeah don't go local unless you secretly like this kind of stuff. We are used to it though. 1" is still technically enough room to work with.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Just for fun, what would you want to do?

This is actually my reality. I am successfully working towards becoming a Regional Safety Coordinator for OD.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

One year of driving as of today

Hopefully many more to go!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

2022 Truck Driving Championship

Blast from the past! How yah been Six String?

Great to see you're still around helping people out G-Town! I see Old School is still helping new drivers out too. That's awesome to see.

I've been well. Hope the same w/ you! Are you still driving distribution for Wal-Mart? And were you always based out of DE? We hit the DE beaches almost every year for vacation.

Wish there was a way to pm members on the forum. I'm hoping Daniel checks the site so he can see I didn't forget about him.

Howdy, Six String!

I was mostly a 'reader' back in your day; pretty sure I've read every. single. post. of yours!!!

I gave Daniel a FB shout. . . . hope it works!! I sure hope you'll stick around, this time. You've done so much to help the folks in here, back in the 'days'.... MUCH APPRECIATED!

~ Anne ~

Howdy back Anne! Thank you for the kind words and the fb message to Daniel. I don't go on fb and I don't have Daniel's number anymore, so that's very helpful of you.

Good to hear from you again sir. Send me an email and I'll message you my number so we can catch up.

Truckerdan44@yahoo.com

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

DM compensation.

My wife has been an OTR dispatcher for 7 years. Her 1st company was very small roughly a dozen drivers. She was taking home $2400 a month salary.

She went to a different company in January this year. She's making $1000 per week but as a 1099.

I've been on the receiving end of her ranting about her drivers. Man, you guys wouldn't believe some of the absolute stupidity of some of her drivers. The things they do sometimes are absolutely mind blowing.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

2022 Truck Driving Championship

It was a great day! We had really good participation this year

0354090001653186048.jpg

(Ps please make this photo my profile picture. It will not allow me to do it myself...)

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Why do you stay driving for your company?

Banker hours. M-F. Weekends, holidays, birthday off. I can get off early if I need to I just need to tell dispatch (Good Friday). $32.65 per hour and I can work just about as many hours if I want. #11 on seniority board and I'm one of the Lead Trainers. OD is the pinnacle of the industry.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

After 3 months, I’m quitting

I've been training for 8 years now and I've had some students who were seriously lacking in the backing. One guy couldn't even straight line back after the 2nd week. They all ended up getting their license, some just took an extra week or two.

You did get your license? Well that means you can back, just not consistently. I truly believe your issues are 95% mental and only 5% skill. Which isn't difficult to fix you just need a specific kind of trainer and a very tailored teaching style. I would love the challenge. I wish you luck in your new career path but I wouldn't discount what you did manage to accomplish in your short time driving despite the challenges.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Make/Brand of truck you prefer to drive and why? Just a topic of discussion!

KW T680

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

OD Driver Training Program, is it over for March

Which terminal/region? If its in the Northern CA region I can do you wonders. I am in close contact to all the powers-that-be

Hey Daniel I am in NY, the position is for the Brooklyn terminal, recruiter called from a North Carolina number. Appreciate the offer Thanks

If you do get back with them you better go linehaul. You don't want to be doing P&D in Brooklyn

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

OD Driver Training Program, is it over for March

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Help A Potential Restaurant Owner That Has Never Cooked A Meal Ever :-)

Hello. I am planning on opening a restaurant with some family members. I am trying to do some research on how I would go about this. I know nothing about the restaurant business nor have I ever cooked besides the occasional Top Ramen. It's hard to find good and specific information on this. A lot of what I saw was talking about simply buying the restaurant and hiring cooks, and not being too involved. Essentially most people are looking for a source of passive income. This is not what I want to do. I would like to manage everything related to owning a restaurant, except the cooking, cleaning, serving and the recipes. I would love to work from home, but of course don't mind if I have to get out and network with the cooks I hire. What is the best approach for this type of business, where we buy the restaurant, handle operations, and hire cooks? The plan is to succeed with one restaurant and buy a second one. Rinse and repeat. Easy money. I would like to do it full time, and as long as I can get paid $2500+ with the one restaurant, it would be perfect. Would appreciate any and all advise. Also, if someone with experience owning a restaurant wouldn't mind sparing a few minutes for a conversation, it would be much appreciated, thank you

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Risk of foods with poppy seeds and drug test

Yes its true but you'd have to eat a ton of it for it to show up

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Advice on finding a dispatch position

My wife is a dispatcher for an OTR company consisting of mostly O/O's which are a lot more difficult to dispatch than a company driver.

The key is you need to start at a small mom n pop company and work your way up. My wife started with a company of about a dozen drivers and she was there for 6 years and she just recently moved to a a larger company that doubles her pay.

Posted:  10 months ago

Getting OD Certified next week!

Classified sorry.gif