Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

7 years ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Super happy for you, Daniel B.~! I have read EVERY single post of yours; some many times over. You have a beautiful wife, and a great future. I know you dropped off the grid with the fuel place, and I wholeheartedly understand...the blessings that came in behest of your OWN decisions.. just wow, look at you now!

My husband and I STILL use your pretrip guide. I 'aspire' to drive one day (who knows; he trained me a bit about 10 years ago...) and he's been driving (legally) since '03, and I still make him 'refresh' on your pretrip, lest he get rusty or lackadaisical, haha! (He's local/intrastate now, too.... just not LTL.. he drives w/ Don on here!)

It's just so cool to see you back around. You and Bobcat Bob should start an LTL thread, and Auggie too! (Dunno why 6string left.. hmm..)

I'm just tickled to see you back around; hope the gorgeous family is great(er) than ever, and .. oh yeah, one more thing, even though I don't know what an OD2.0 is :

0836324001583544635.jpg

I don't post a lot of the day to day operations because LTL (local) has always been very discouraged here. Though it is difficult, I've done it, Rob T has done it and I think few others but just not worthwhile to post since the OVERWHELMING mantra is to go OTR. Is it easier? Yes. But it doesn't fit all lifestyles.

Exactly. OTR serves a good purpose in getting you that needed experience but if you actually want to maintain a family life then its not viable. But I would not recommend it to a rookie.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Great job! Are you able to do linehaul occasionally or are you stuck in the city all the time? Do you ever miss the adventure of OTR?

I can do linehaul on the weekends but I'm blessed to bring home enough money that I don't need to work extra.

And no I don't miss OTR one bit. It was a necessary stepping stone to build up my driving skills but local LTL is just so much better. I work at 7am and usually get off around 5:30pm with holidays, birthday, and weekends off. I actually have a normal life and can attend church every week. I typically go to the same places so the longer you do LTL the easier it gets. Plus you build up friendships with the places you go to. Its an amazing job.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Congrats Daniel!!! Good to hear from you... Doesn’t OD pay enough for you to afford full length pants.embarrassed.gif Your are the only one in that photo with short pants sir...

Pants limit my mobility. And yes they pay me enough, im at 29.65 hourly and will be at 30.65 in a few months. But all clothing and uniforms are paid for by the company so there's no excuse for my shorts. Haha

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

0388034001583543455.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Well I'm going on 8 years of safe driving (its really hard to keep that going as a city driver in the LTL industry) and 2.5 years at Old Dominion. I have no regrets about leaving gasoline driving and going into LTL. I believe LTL is the best work/life balance that the industry provides.

I finally won the award I have been after. 0D2.0!

OD2.0 is an award awarded quarterly throughout the year for employees who go above and beyond. Low return percentage, superior customer service and reliability. No accidents or incidents. Its the highest recognition one may receive and the OD2.0 recipient will be shown in the quarterly Old Dominion magazine sent to every terminal nationwide.

Posted:  10 months ago

What my dream trucking job?

Old Dominion

7am to 5:30pm

M-F

Weekends/Holidays/Birthday off.

Gross about 1600 per week.

It exists.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

My 10 Year TT Anniversary...

I'm just about at 7 years! (Profile is incorrect)

shocked.png

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Post trip inspection

Log both Pre and Post Inspections. 12 minutes each is safe.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

My wife is the dispatcher for a small trucking company. About 12 trucks most are O/O's.

She deals with brokers, negotiates prices, safety, ifta, permits. You name it, she does it. Company has been in business for 5 years. I've learned a ton about the logistics side of the business from her and helping her here and there. She's been at it for 3 years now.

Its definitely different. But her job is amazing no doubt about it. I would choose dispatching at a small firm over a large carrier any day. First driving I wouldn't though.

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

C.R. England To Pay Truckers $37.8M Settlement Over “Predatory” Lease-To-Own Program

Central Refrigerated was the same when when they hired me. Their leasing program was absolutely crammed down your throat until you believed what they said or until you felt forced to sign.

I really enjoyded how Prime operated. I don't think their program is a fraud, definitely overpriced though.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

My satanic fifth wheel

Here's an idea. If there's a dashboard button that will unhook it then it will be air powered also if that makes sense.

If you're toggling that dashboard release button and its still not unlocking then next time you disconnect look between your fifth wheel and cab and search for a disconnected air line. Usually it should be running along the inside of the frame and may be difficult to find.

Also, before you try to disconnect set your trailer brakes but NOT your tractor brakes. With the trailer brakes engaged reverse the truck into the trailer hard. The kingpin could be up against your locking jaws and the friction may make it difficult to release.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Gotta love waiting at shippers!

At OD we dont wait longer than around 1.5 hours. At that point we inform dispatch and we up and leave. It feels great

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Best Fleets to Drive for 2018 in Commercial Carrier Journal

My goal had I not gotten a linehaul job was to drive for Nussbaum Transportation after I got the 2 years experience they required. I liked the way there trucks and terminal look, and heard only good things about them.

No longer needed. You're at the top of the world with me!

smile.gif

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

YRC's long-haul unit and 2 key regional units could go out of business if unionized workers vote down a tent. CBA

Or they can go to OD and make 30$ per hour and not deal with this union crap

Posted:  1 year ago

Pre-Trip Inspection Preparation

Glad to hear my Pre-Trip helped!

Posted:  1 year ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

NV allows triples when conditions are safe.

Posted:  1 year ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

How where they?

We have one triple run out of our yard, but I think I will stick with 2 for now.

Stick with 2

smile.gif

Posted:  1 year ago

The photo and opportunity that took almost 7 years to achieve!

Finally I can take this off my bucket list.

0575128001552446329.jpg

Posted:  1 year ago

Hourly Pay vs Mileage Pay

All this complaining about local work... i think ya'll are only thinking about food delivery local work. Which really is the worst type of local work requiring an insane amount of physical labor.

Why anyone would want to unload an entire trailer themselves full of boxes and work 13 hours and 45 minutes only to come back exactly 10 hours later is beyond me. Look into P&D work. I do 8am to 6pm M-F and make more than most OTR drivers (70k+) and don't come home with a hurt body.

Posted:  1 year ago

Looking For Feedback - Would You Guys Like To See Today's Trucking News Headlines? Give me some ideas

Only if we have Anchorman hosting it (old timers know who I'm talking about)