Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

8 years, 6 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  1 day, 9 hours ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

So far I know there are guaranteed 6 people in the next class but I've had as many as 8. You should be good.

Posted:  4 days, 4 hours ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Hey Daniel. Quick question. Got an email saying my background check was complete on Friday and I sent in the most recent DOT physical I have to OD. Everything sounds like it's going well. How soon does that phone call come in for that start date? Or whether they went with a different candidate? Also when is the next training class to begin this month or next month?

Hopefully Monday!

Class is in mid October

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Does anything change if I already have my class A CDL?

You just won't have to worry about the pretrip. And you'll be driving a lot more since that's your weakness.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

I definitely intend to go through OD's driver training as soon as the background check is clear! I'm willing to work the docks when class is not in session to make some extra income. And I am definitely looking forward to getting this auto restriction off my CDL.

Bobcat, I make no promises about not grinding gears haha! By the way Daniel, what does the 1 week of training look like?

3 days of yard training (pretrip, backing, driving)

Next week after is all classroom with regional safety manager (she does a great job)

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

I was able to go in for my road test yesterday, but it never started. I explained to the trainer my situation and at the beginning, he already had his doubts. We started the truck up and it became obvious that I had never driven a 10 speed truck before. You're supposed to fully press on the clutch to start the engine. No amount to youtube videos could have taught me that. Then he asked me to drive around the yard to pick up a dolly. Gotta say, the longest 100 yards or so of that poor truck, grinding gears and stalling at least twice. Made it halfway before he decided to talk to the manager to tell him that he didn't feel safe taking me out on the freeway hauling doubles when I couldn't even shift properly. I sat down with the hiring manager and he explained that I would need to go through their driving training program either in Sacramento or Reno, depending who had more students. The next class would start in October, so my background check would have to finish by then to get a call for my start date, if I was approved.

Before I go, I have to say, the trainer was awesome. He explained to me the situation that I wouldn't be able to test that day but encouraged me to do all I can and what I can do to get this position. Told me it was the best company he's ever worked for and I believe him. I'm hoping everything goes well and I'll keep you guys posted. Cheers!

Better hurry up our SAC class is almost full! If you go to SAC for training you'll see me. Me and another driver are the two drivers who conduct the yard portion of the training there. You'll have plenty of time to master shifting here.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Interview update w/ ODFL

Quick update: Background check is taking a little bit, got my drug screening and road test on Friday. Hiring manager said I'll be sitting in with a driver for at least 6 weeks if I get the linehaul position. I'm hoping my auto restriction doesn't hurt my chances.

I'm a top 3 trainer in SAC terminal and our terminal does the ODTDT classes for northern CA and I do the yard training with the new guys.

I can tell you with confidence you'll be fine. You'll ride with a trainer like me for minimum of 190 hours and by then your shifting will be good enough for sure. You'll get that restriction removed then most likely spend a week doing LH training.

I wouldn't sweat it

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Suicide Jockey, Tanker Yanker Division

I did gas for 2 years. It's true what that driver told you and I know exactly how you feel. When I did tankers there was a death just within my company on average every 6 months. In my 2 years I had 3-4 coworkers die on the job.

The scary part that rocked me the most? They were all much more experienced than me. I only had 3 years driving experience back then (which is NOTHING) compared to them. If it happened to them what stops it from happening to me?

To make matters worse I worked 4pm-4am and often did the Boyett accounts which are basically mom n pops. Lots of gas stations in the middle of no where and mountains with a California speed limit of 55 which encouraged the driver to fall asleep in my opinion.

My solution was to get out of it before I become a statistic. Its one thing to take the risk associated with the job, but the pay did not even come close to warrant it. To be honest, the pay stunk ever since BP and Chevron sold their fleets and contracted the work to carriers.

Since then I have went into LTL and haven't looked back. The pay is better, the hours are "banker hours", weekends off, and the freight isn't a bomb. Much happier.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Website ranks carriers by driver pay - Sysco at the top

That list isn't accurate. It depends way too much on the driver. Also, Western Express has no chance being top 10. Perhaps its a different Western Express?

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Debunking some ethnic myths

I LOVE black tea. I don't understand the addiction to coffee. I think black tea does what coffee does and is much cheaper and healthier. I always bring a tea mug to work and I tell my students that drinking tea is the secret to my success. Also, you hit the nail on the head, tea from a tea bag is not real tea and I feel so bad for people who actually think Lipton is real. I'm a huge fan of Akbar Gold 100% Pure Ceylon Tea sold only at local slavic delicatessens. Also, black tea with honey on the side is extremely good.

PS: if you swing by Sacramento CA anytime let me know and I'll take you to some great Russian stores.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Looking for ways to acceleratate my truck ? maybe some kind of motor attachement?

Truth be told we Russians really like to keep our secrets to ourselves and only within our inner circle and to those of which are also of Russian descent.

But driving with sandals and socks really really does make your truck go faster.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

The Sad Loss Of Our Friend "Rickipedia" Rick Stern

I am heart broken. I was in communication with Rick for a very long time. We actually agreed that I would train him if he ever came over to Prime at one point. I kept waiting for him to finish selling his goods so he can start the OTR life but it never came around. We talked on the phone a good dozen times or so.

I actually still have his phone number in my contacts. So sad. RIP my friend!

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Tips on starting a career?

You got this!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Mom died tonight

Sorry to hear that. Stay strong. May God comfort you even more so in these times.

PS I tried to reply to the FB post about this but I cannot. I'm in facebook jail

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

New job twist: a Russian company

Don't worry my Russian comrade if it doesn't work out there I will personally call the big bosses at OD and get you a job over here. We desperately need more Russian drivers. I feel lonely being the only Russian driver in a massive terminal. I got your back. Thanks for abiding by our stereotypes by driving a Volvi.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Volvo

I am not Slavic

And it is definitely an advantage! When you drive around in a Volvo truck, everybody say "what a nice truck," but if a Russian, Ukrainian, it doesn't really matter, climbs inside a Volvo, everybody, including your fellow moderator here, starts laughing: another Russian! Look at his Volvo, look at his flip-flops :-)

On another note, I am heading home, feeling tired, but glad that I got this job. I will post more when I get home. It may be interesting for some people as a strictly insider's information - Americans do not drive in this company :-)

Ты мне очень нравишься

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Local burn out, missing the chicken lights & chrome

I think a major contributing factor to your burn out is the fact that you're pulling 14 hour shifts every night.

You're overworking yourself to death and I believe no matter what you do you'll eventually have burnout if you work like that.

I recommend switching routes and taking a route that isn't so demanding. Perhaps instead of 70 hours per week you work 50 or 55. That would make a big difference and would make you feel less like a zombie and your family would be happier to have you around a bit more.

Try doing that. I understand what you're going through to a degree since I do LTL too but when my son was born I dropped my hours from 59 hours per week to 44 and its made all the difference in the world.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Bikes on trucks

Good luck Andrey. We wish you the best, but you are taking a very difficult route. I don't doubt you will find something. I know there are those very type companies you are looking into. My good friend Daniel Babayev tells me how Russian people here in the states really trust each other and help each other. He won't even buy a used car unless it is from another Russian. I just fear you are going to run into the same issues you had with this last company. If something goes wrong they may end up terminating you. With each termination you are going to have to keep lowering your standards until you have no more options.

I hope it all works out well.

Aye comrade, this why its a good thing that true Russian trucking companies have no standards! Heartbeat? You're good to go! White Volvo, no governor, sandals only no shoes - let's goooo!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Done with Schneider after 3 months

$17 an hour? Yikes, I wouldn't be interested in anything either

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Paternity leave

I would not want to be OTR with a newborn. My best advice would be to go local asap. Every ltl company is hiring to the point where most don't even care if you have experience or not. Why miss out on that wonderful 1st year?

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Can a drop lot be completely empty?

Yeah I would call and ask. However why can't you just park at a walmart on hometime?

Oh snap I've been cloned. Are you friend or foe?