Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

5 years, 11 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Detention - A problem still in search of a solution

I was told that when I was waiting at a stop, I could put myself off duty. Is that correct?

Put yourself on Sleeper Berth when waiting at a Shipper/Receiver.

Posted:  4 days, 4 hours ago

Dry Ice?

I bought dry ice one time to keep raw meat frozen while OTR. I had no idea what it actually was. I took it out of the packaging and gripped it in my hands to put it in my cooler.

I almost died.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Super Singles or Dual?

Duals for sure. They have better traction and ppsi and you're not stuck on the side of the road if one blows.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Lowest Fuel Levels I've Had

In my job, delivering trucks to dealers, I need to deliver the truck almost empty. (I don't want to give free fuel away!) This is company policy.

So in a way I'm playing chicken with the E on the fuel gauge. In my experience I can get pretty close to the bottom of the gauge, but I still worry.

My trainer ran empty once. We had to buy a fuel can, get 5 gallons Diesel back to the truck, put most of it in the tank, pour some into the top of the engine fuel filter and push a small pump handle there to prime the engine. And finally run the starter, praying the engine would start up. It finally did.

Primarily aimed at company drivers, exceptions such as yourself apply.

In response to 3rd paragraph- Had to do that to a reefer in the Montana cold at midnight in January. Was so much fun. Life is easier now.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Lowest Fuel Levels I've Had

When you submit your fuel level via QC always submit that you're a little less than you actually are.

So if you're at 3/4 fuel submit it as 5/8. If you're 1/2 submit it as 3/8. This way it won't run you dry.

It's a simple computer macro. One of these days you'll hit that fuel island it routed you to at 1/8 of a tank and it'll be shut down for tank maintenance and you'll be screwed. Your safety comes first

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Lowest Fuel Levels I've Had

Very unwise to let your fuel get that low.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Random question for Daniel. B

Everyone's talking about freezing yet I'm going to the gym with a t-shirt on. Its been in the 60's all week.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Random question for Daniel. B

I did gas tankers for 2 years. The shift was 1800 to 0600 on a rotating schedule never having the same days off. Working weekends and all holiday. The job wasn't difficult, but dealing with all the crackheads at the gas station at 0300 was. I was glad to be home everyday but the reduced income and the fact that I still didn't have a life wasn't easy.

My entire point of going local was to get my life back. Me and the wife realized that job just wasn't what we were striving for. We really missed going to church on Sunday morning as a family.

I decided to work at Old Dominion (take notice how I worded that - that's where 6 years of accident-free experience gets ya). I made an whopping 18k more at OD than pulling tankers and I'm close to $30 an hour now.

Also, I run city working 0700 to 1800. I don't do Linehaul because the work:life balance isn't what I'm wanting at this point in my life.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Lying Recruiters And The Dirty Lies

I actually like this dude. He reminds me of me when I was 14 years old. He's pure nostalgia.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Turtle we will cross 44 together!!

PJ, OS

Would be nice if one of you stopped by. I'd even request a day off for it 😁

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Left old mentor

I don't know whats worse, never getting the chance to backup or being forced to endure rap videos. I think the latter.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Unions

This is a country of opportunity and free-will. Not happy with your pay? Go into another field or company.

My father grew up in USSR communism. He had to bury his Bible in fear he would be caught with one. He didn't have a fraction of the opportunities me and my generation are blessed with. Make the most of it because just being born in this country you're already way ahead. Redistributing wealth from people who are more wealthy and took more risks in their life isn't a solution to your problems.

We make a lot of excuses in this country. Like my dad said to me many times with a dead serious tone; "I didn't risk my life to come here so you can slack off or make excuses!"

Posted:  1 month ago

New food tanker driver

Though not food grade, I did gasoline tankers for two years. I wouldn't recommend it at all. This is way above your skill level at this time.

I would recommend LTL. Pays the same if not better, home daily.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

I don't come here often but boy am I glad I stumbled upon this. An absolute gem!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Do drivers often have to ride on buses?

There are run of the mill companies, and there are the much better companies. For me, one sign is whether they want to stick me on a bus.

Dave, you were sounding great until you got to your last statement. Many of these companies provide Transportation for several hundred new drivers each week. That's a considerable expense. It makes perfect sense for them to try and not waste money on transporting people who have no track record of success in trucking.

You and I may be treated to a free flight whenever necessary, but to describe these companies offering a free bus ride to a brand new driver with nothing to recommend themselves as "run of the mill" is unfair in my opinion.

Hi old school!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Starting Prime orientation Aug 22. NEED PSD trainer.

I gave Jetguy my cell phone number to mentor him.

I made a comment on TT long ago and he called me to tell me how he disliked my comment (as if I cared). He was a whacko.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Happy Holidays to All on TT

Merry Christmas. Remember the true reason for the season!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Sasquatch, paranormal, cryptozoology

Yes, when I hallucinated from fatigue.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Rough ride to California

Its brutal here

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

To all of our moderators

Great idea.

I'll start working on it at home tonight.