Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

5 years, 10 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  1 day, 12 hours ago

Unions

This is a country of opportunity and free-will. Not happy with your pay? Go into another field or company.

My father grew up in USSR communism. He had to bury his Bible in fear he would be caught with one. He didn't have a fraction of the opportunities me and my generation are blessed with. Make the most of it because just being born in this country you're already way ahead. Redistributing wealth from people who are more wealthy and took more risks in their life isn't a solution to your problems.

We make a lot of excuses in this country. Like my dad said to me many times with a dead serious tone; "I didn't risk my life to come here so you can slack off or make excuses!"

Posted:  6 days, 20 hours ago

New food tanker driver

Though not food grade, I did gasoline tankers for two years. I wouldn't recommend it at all. This is way above your skill level at this time.

I would recommend LTL. Pays the same if not better, home daily.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

I don't come here often but boy am I glad I stumbled upon this. An absolute gem!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Do drivers often have to ride on buses?

There are run of the mill companies, and there are the much better companies. For me, one sign is whether they want to stick me on a bus.

Dave, you were sounding great until you got to your last statement. Many of these companies provide Transportation for several hundred new drivers each week. That's a considerable expense. It makes perfect sense for them to try and not waste money on transporting people who have no track record of success in trucking.

You and I may be treated to a free flight whenever necessary, but to describe these companies offering a free bus ride to a brand new driver with nothing to recommend themselves as "run of the mill" is unfair in my opinion.

Hi old school!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Starting Prime orientation Aug 22. NEED PSD trainer.

I gave Jetguy my cell phone number to mentor him.

I made a comment on TT long ago and he called me to tell me how he disliked my comment (as if I cared). He was a whacko.

Posted:  1 month ago

Happy Holidays to All on TT

Merry Christmas. Remember the true reason for the season!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Sasquatch, paranormal, cryptozoology

Yes, when I hallucinated from fatigue.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Rough ride to California

Its brutal here

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

To all of our moderators

Great idea.

I'll start working on it at home tonight.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Local job for newbie

For some people like myself it was either find a local driving job or not drive at all, no in between. Which was why after driving with Schneider for 3 months I didnt drive again for almost 3 years. So everything I had learned was exactly fresh when I was able to find one. Local companies today need drivers just as bad as otr companies and are adapting to that. Some of the big name ltl's like Yrc for example will give you 8 weeks of training if you don't have a cdl, and 4 weeks if you do. That's about equal to some otr companies, and you still have to test out to get on the road.

If you were a good, safe driver before you started driving a truck. That is going to translate. If you were the opposite who made poor decisions that will translate. If we took some drivers like old school, flipped the script and had them start local instead I'm confident nothing would change. They would still be the great driver they are today.

I do local P&D. I would love to see rookie Old School try to do my route - or any other rookie. It would result in a backing accident or hitting a pole within the first day guaranteed.

48' trailer with a liftgate swerving left and right on small roads avoiding power lines and backing up into narrow driveways from a busy street with the speed limit of 45mph. That's the summary of my typical day in a nutshell.

Not a smart way to start your career.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't think this is the best place to park on home time.

I don't think taking pictures while driving is the best thing to do. embarrassed.gif

Posted:  4 months ago

Daniel B.'s Pre-Trip

No problem! It was well worth the time investment!

When I made it I showed Stan Kasterke. He may still remember me.

Im surprised they made an app for it. They didn't have that when I drove there.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Old Dominion pay raise

Thanks again Bobcat Bob for the info. It's been enlightening. I just got my final approval today for class starting on Monday the 17th. It's getting close. I've seen OD around for a while in Sacramento, so if Oak Harbor isn't a go then maybe ODFL will be.

What kind of equipment does ODFL have? KW? Petes? FL? Volvo? Just curious.

Im based out of Sac. We have all FL with only like 3-4 Volvo's.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

On probation, less than 6 mos. exp. Need help

Old School is a wild one. There's no tellin' what he could do next! If anyone knows about this kind of stuff it would definitely be him.

Awaiting a response from primitive Old School.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Transgender Trucker

Completely agree with G-Town on this one. You have some things to work out first.

But I don't agree that you'll get better when you're "done". Statistics prove otherwise actually.

You seem to go back and forth a lot, I can almost feel the pain and insecurity through the text.

Either way theres an underlying issue here and I don't think any feeble attempt to change your gender will solve it.

I wish you the very best!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Transgender Trucker

Apparently the original person who posted this changed their username to "Byeee"

I didn't want to comment because I am one of many here who don't agree with that persons lifestyle. But it was getting great treatment from everyone above. To change their name so quickly and reply like it did reveals many things about that person.

I am shocked.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Owner Op needs a new home

I think you need to go back to company driver for awhile and polish that driving of yours. How are you not surprised that your contract was terminated considering your driving history? I find it amazing how you think its still good enough.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Old Dominion pay raise

ODFL is a union company.

That's news to me since I've worked there almost a year and "union" is seen as a bad word.

I guess they are not union in every terminal. I will have to double check my sources.

OD is seriously the most anti-union company on the planet. No joke, the word Union is a bad word here.

As far as I know every terminal is union free. There are some terminals that have tried to unionize but the votes failed on election day.

I don't really have an opinion on the subject of unions. I get my weekends off, they even let me go home early whenever I want to, I landed a route after 8 months, and I also have never been treated better here than any other company. I'd rank them A+ in every category. It literally can't get any better so I don't even think about unions.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Old Dominion pay raise

Around this time of the year. Old Dominion gives what they call a "cost of living" raise.

This year Linehaul is getting just about a .02cpm raise which makes the top pay after 3 years around .70cpm with a small increase to additional misc pay.

Likewise, city drivers got a 1$ increase which makes the top pay 29.73$ per hour after 3 years.

Also new this year, OD now recognizes Christmas Eve as a paid holiday off.

Posted:  5 months ago

Question for Daniel B.

I would apply first. They won't tell you anything until you have that application in. Also, I don't think they will even give you a pre-qualification letter until you have all your ducks in a row.