Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

5 years, 6 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  6 days, 7 hours ago

Daniel B.'s Pre-Trip

No problem! It was well worth the time investment!

When I made it I showed Stan Kasterke. He may still remember me.

Im surprised they made an app for it. They didn't have that when I drove there.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Old Dominion pay raise

Thanks again Bobcat Bob for the info. It's been enlightening. I just got my final approval today for class starting on Monday the 17th. It's getting close. I've seen OD around for a while in Sacramento, so if Oak Harbor isn't a go then maybe ODFL will be.

What kind of equipment does ODFL have? KW? Petes? FL? Volvo? Just curious.

Im based out of Sac. We have all FL with only like 3-4 Volvo's.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

On probation, less than 6 mos. exp. Need help

Old School is a wild one. There's no tellin' what he could do next! If anyone knows about this kind of stuff it would definitely be him.

Awaiting a response from primitive Old School.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Transgender Trucker

Completely agree with G-Town on this one. You have some things to work out first.

But I don't agree that you'll get better when you're "done". Statistics prove otherwise actually.

You seem to go back and forth a lot, I can almost feel the pain and insecurity through the text.

Either way theres an underlying issue here and I don't think any feeble attempt to change your gender will solve it.

I wish you the very best!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Transgender Trucker

Apparently the original person who posted this changed their username to "Byeee"

I didn't want to comment because I am one of many here who don't agree with that persons lifestyle. But it was getting great treatment from everyone above. To change their name so quickly and reply like it did reveals many things about that person.

I am shocked.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Owner Op needs a new home

I think you need to go back to company driver for awhile and polish that driving of yours. How are you not surprised that your contract was terminated considering your driving history? I find it amazing how you think its still good enough.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Old Dominion pay raise

ODFL is a union company.

That's news to me since I've worked there almost a year and "union" is seen as a bad word.

I guess they are not union in every terminal. I will have to double check my sources.

OD is seriously the most anti-union company on the planet. No joke, the word Union is a bad word here.

As far as I know every terminal is union free. There are some terminals that have tried to unionize but the votes failed on election day.

I don't really have an opinion on the subject of unions. I get my weekends off, they even let me go home early whenever I want to, I landed a route after 8 months, and I also have never been treated better here than any other company. I'd rank them A+ in every category. It literally can't get any better so I don't even think about unions.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Old Dominion pay raise

Around this time of the year. Old Dominion gives what they call a "cost of living" raise.

This year Linehaul is getting just about a .02cpm raise which makes the top pay after 3 years around .70cpm with a small increase to additional misc pay.

Likewise, city drivers got a 1$ increase which makes the top pay 29.73$ per hour after 3 years.

Also new this year, OD now recognizes Christmas Eve as a paid holiday off.

Posted:  1 month ago

Question for Daniel B.

I would apply first. They won't tell you anything until you have that application in. Also, I don't think they will even give you a pre-qualification letter until you have all your ducks in a row.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Fuel Tankers-are others afraid?

Funny that you're in the West Coast. We're neighbors, small world. I worked for WTL over here.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Fuel Tankers-are others afraid?

I contacted a food grade tanker company this morning. They were offering what I will make at wolding in 6 weeks. Plus they didn't have any type of bonuses. So I would end up making 5.5 cpm less than I make at Wolding. Thanks, but I will keep you mind, lol. I figure with the pay hikes pretty much industry wide that tankers would be included.

Its my opinion that tankers are way behind where they're supposed to be. Of course this can be debated because there are those jobs that pay extremely well but in most cases its far underpaid in my opinion.

I think LTL is actually overpaid. We in Old Dominion are going to be just under 30 an hour for city and around .72cpm for linehaul.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Fuel Tankers-are others afraid?

I hauled fuel tankers for 2 years. Wasn't a fan, but mostly because of the pay.

8 years ago it was the best job in the industry in my opinion. Since then, BP/Chevron sold their fleets and contracted their work to carriers who will do the same work and pay their employees twice less. It went from a 6-figure salary to 65k.

We both crazy.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Speeding ticket 1to10mph

..a speeding ticket is not a petty offense.

A speeding ticket IS a petty offense. Petty offense is a legal term for the lowest level of crimes (parking violations, speeding tickets, etc). In legal terminology a speeding ticket is a petty offense as opposed to a misdemeanor or a felony. Austin O. was quoting his attorney not dismissing the severity of his ticket.

I don't care what the legal meaning is, I care about the massive negative effect it has on a truck driver specifically. Speeding ticket is a petty offence to everyone who isn't a professional driver. But to a truck driver its an extremely serious matter and can disqualify you from reputable companies. He quoted his uneducated, misinformed attorney in his second post, but he called it a petty offence in his original post.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Speeding ticket 1to10mph

It bothers me how you call a speeding ticket a "petty offence".

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Two weeks notice

Clean every inch of the truck with a 409 and scrub the floors with a mop. Make it sparkle. Better to spend 1 hour and $10 in cleaning supplies than to pay their labor.

Also when I quit ages ago, they held my final paycheck from me and deducted all expenses from it. When everything was finished then they sent me the check via mail with deduction information on it.

However when I turned in my truck I was leasing it so it may have been different. But overall it was a very smooth experience.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Better wake up to see who's banging on the door

I hauled gasoline tankers, primarily delivering to Arco's and Chevrons for 2 years working 1800-0600 night shift.

I make more doing P&D at OD and I have weekends off working 0700-1730.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Regional or even local job companies that run I5 and pay CDL training

Definitely Knight.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Xpo Questions

It will be a long process until you become a driver. You'll work the dock while you get your training. So be patient with it.

As far as the job goes, I do P/D at OD and my best advice would be to get used to backing up into driveways from the street and make blind side backing your best friend. But I truly believe this is the best the industry has to offer as far as pay and work/life balance.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Reefer company out of New York state!

If it's a Russian company I'd stay away. And that's coming from a Russian. Unless you're wondering about them for other reasons...

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Nikola Truck

America won't be able to sit back much longer with the rest of the developed world advancing.

As a Russian foreigner, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. In Russia the great majority of roads don't even have lanes. Yes, we are definitely starting to fall behind from the advancing world. Lol.