Profile For Daniel B.

Daniel B.'s Info

Sacramento, CA

Experienced Driver

7 years, 3 months ago

Daniel B.'s Bio

I started in this forum sitting in my old apartment dinner table browsing the forums day and night thinking if I wanted to pursue trucking. Long ago. I was under heavy financial burdens that prevented me from attending school. I moved back in with my parents with my wife, I dropped all my bills including the apartment. When we finally had some breathing room I quit my job and attended Central Refrigeration Services school. A class of 7, only me and another person survived. Put in a truck with a complete stranger for a month, I was expected to exceed and force a friendship with this stranger. Sweat, tears, long nights and days, anger, frustrations, and being away from the family were a common thing in my life. I finally graduated! Assigned a Black 2012 Freightliner Cascadia and thrown into the wilderness. I survived that first month and things were still challenging. I came on this site not knowing a damn thing about trucking and here I am! I been where you/'re at right now. I've had my share of doubts, and I've asked millions of questions on this forum. I know how it is being new to the industry. I made it through and I have been driving for 4 years now.

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers delivering to gas stations. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit! Now who wants some gasoline!?

Daniel B.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 19

Posted:  15 hours, 25 minutes ago

What would you do?

No loss there. I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it. Protesting at 0200 in that fashion and trying to rob a semi? No loss.

I'm Russian. There's a lot of things we get wrong in Russian compared to USA. But I think this is something Russia gets right over USA. In Russia cars don't stop for you because you want to be a retard and stand in the middle of the road. They keep going, they'll run you over and its not criminal to do that.

Its sad what happened but I think those people need to learn how to properly protest. I wouldn't hesitate to run over a crowd if I was in his position.

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

A negative about being local is you can't do these meet-ups anymore. I miss you everyday Old School!

Do you still run local out of Sacramento?

Yep.

Posted:  4 days, 11 hours ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Wanna save the world?? Ask a truck driver!

That would be some massively expensive fruits and veggies, sounds like to me.

But who knows? do that and sell to high end restaurants that only want exceptional quality, along with some high income customers and it might work.

Or maybe very well thought out farms. YouTube"Never Sink farms" They seem to do pretty well for a small farm.

I've been looking for some land for Black Walnut and pecans here in SC.

Black walnut hmmm. If you ever chop down one of them trees send it my way, will pay shipping!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Starting a trucking career at 63... and during this pandemic...

63 is young my friend. Our very own Old School is rapidly approaching triple-digits and he's still out here getting it done.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

A tale of getting stuck really bad

Yep. Its total BS. I do recommend you go though Bob. One of our city drivers who is considered one of our very best placed in last place and no one said a word. It's actually a very friendly competition.

I went last year even though I was disqualified but I went as a guest just to observe how its all done. That way when I do compete it wont all be a mystery for me.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

A tale of getting stuck really bad

Now that is some 2.0 driving there!

You ever consider competing in the Rodeo??

Last year I was disqualified because a driver backed up into me (lol no joke). This year I was good to go but its cancelled. But yeah I am planning on competing but trying to not take it seriously because I can be extremely competitive in stuff like this to the point where I can make it not a fun experience for myself.

🙃

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

A tale of getting stuck really bad

Hey Daniel, thanks for the reminder! P&D isn't any walk in the park. You guys get dispatched into some gnarly places. I remember posting something about this a good while back. Here's a thread where Dee Squared posted about tight places. In the conversation I posted a photo of an ABF P&D driver stuck under a tree.

Here's The Conversation

That had to be nerve wracking backing down that curved road. I'm glad you made it!

One of my fellow drivers got in a pickle with a tree before! He went under it and the giant branch snapped off between his truck and trailer! He couldn't move.

Luckily a local had a chainsaw and sawed it off for him. Only an hour delay he said!

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

A tale of getting stuck really bad

Had a delivery to a customer (street names blocked out and no other info given about said customer because I don't think we are allowed to make their info public I blocked it out). It was going decently well. Lots of tight turns but honestly I'm used to it. Dropped off the freight and went on my way. Take note in this picture that I am driving towards the purple circle. The yellow lines show my backing. I am in a 48' foot trailer.

0945839001589576287.jpg

Plan was to deliver and continue driving and I'll hit an easy left turn right after the curve. I am driving towards the purple colored circle. That is a tree. A tree I discovered I cannot clear.

0601302001589576480.jpg Note: photo taken with truck turned off (as I sat there and let out a longgggg groan.)

There's not enough room to go around it. Heck I'm having to use up the entire road just to drive! So here goes. I have to back up along this entire curve where I barely managed to even squeeze by driving forward. Had a few cars that were trying to drive past and they had to move. 10 minutes later I'm finally in the red area on my photo.

0535639001589576844.jpg

I had to ride the curb on my blind side to provide just barely enough room for my tractor to swing around. Finally, I had to back up through a mildly busy intersection in the green area and lastly make a left to get out.

This is why folks warn about P&D. There's no place that is off limits and you're often stuck with a longer trailer than you would have hoped for. You'll eventually become a master at reverse. We get stuck..... a lot! I been at this for 2.5 years now, and almost been driving for 8. This is honestly the tip of the iceberg of what you'll experience as a local driver. Heck, you should have seen me last week doing a delivery to a residential in the mountains 2 weeks ago. I couldn't make a right turn even with a pup trailer so I had to get out of the truck and move a large rock that was preventing me from making the turn.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Freight brokers push back against "price gouging" accusation

Interesting read.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Ever had one of those days?

This is a great example of why there should be a mental stability check on potential drivers.

I feel like that would remove probably 30% of current drivers

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Looking for midwest carriers

O I'm sorry about that I'm new here lol🤣should I change it ? I can! No problem

I'm actually surprised it let you. Does this mean I can impersonate Old School? This sounds like a fun discovery!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Looking for midwest carriers

You stole my name!

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Low brokerage offers for Owner operators

Yeah my wife dispatchs for a small company of owner operators and a few company drivers. Rates are really really bad right now and its taking her an extra hour or two to get everyone covered.

Lately shes been aiming for more multi-drop/pick loads since those aren't as effected as much as 1:1 loads are.

But yeah she's been declining a heck of a lot of freight lately. Some paying as low as .65cpm! I have a feeling though that there will always be someone dumb enough to actually haul for that low rate though so that's why its been continuing.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Coronavirus in a new truck

I love you Patrick. You're a legend.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

What I've Learned From This Pandemic

I hate to say it but I think its all political. Literally anything to dethrone Trump. The hate is so deep.

It fascinates me how quickly our rights were basically taken away. Its scary to think about.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Super happy for you, Daniel B.~! I have read EVERY single post of yours; some many times over. You have a beautiful wife, and a great future. I know you dropped off the grid with the fuel place, and I wholeheartedly understand...the blessings that came in behest of your OWN decisions.. just wow, look at you now!

My husband and I STILL use your pretrip guide. I 'aspire' to drive one day (who knows; he trained me a bit about 10 years ago...) and he's been driving (legally) since '03, and I still make him 'refresh' on your pretrip, lest he get rusty or lackadaisical, haha! (He's local/intrastate now, too.... just not LTL.. he drives w/ Don on here!)

It's just so cool to see you back around. You and Bobcat Bob should start an LTL thread, and Auggie too! (Dunno why 6string left.. hmm..)

I'm just tickled to see you back around; hope the gorgeous family is great(er) than ever, and .. oh yeah, one more thing, even though I don't know what an OD2.0 is :

0836324001583544635.jpg

I don't post a lot of the day to day operations because LTL (local) has always been very discouraged here. Though it is difficult, I've done it, Rob T has done it and I think few others but just not worthwhile to post since the OVERWHELMING mantra is to go OTR. Is it easier? Yes. But it doesn't fit all lifestyles.

Exactly. OTR serves a good purpose in getting you that needed experience but if you actually want to maintain a family life then its not viable. But I would not recommend it to a rookie.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Great job! Are you able to do linehaul occasionally or are you stuck in the city all the time? Do you ever miss the adventure of OTR?

I can do linehaul on the weekends but I'm blessed to bring home enough money that I don't need to work extra.

And no I don't miss OTR one bit. It was a necessary stepping stone to build up my driving skills but local LTL is just so much better. I work at 7am and usually get off around 5:30pm with holidays, birthday, and weekends off. I actually have a normal life and can attend church every week. I typically go to the same places so the longer you do LTL the easier it gets. Plus you build up friendships with the places you go to. Its an amazing job.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

Congrats Daniel!!! Good to hear from you... Doesn’t OD pay enough for you to afford full length pants.embarrassed.gif Your are the only one in that photo with short pants sir...

Pants limit my mobility. And yes they pay me enough, im at 29.65 hourly and will be at 30.65 in a few months. But all clothing and uniforms are paid for by the company so there's no excuse for my shorts. Haha

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Long time no see TT! It's been awhile.

0388034001583543455.jpg