Comments By Michael C.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/show-truck1.jpg avatar
  • Michael C.
  • Comments:

Waiting for a trainer

He went to Swift and will be heading out with a trainer this afternoon for his 200 hours of driving time. Out of the companies I have contacted so far they have offered the tuition reimbursement of around 3500, which sucks because the contract for Henderson's school is about 4600 without the 12.5% interest. So it kind of looks like I'm screwed unless Swift can offer me the same deal as he got, but I'm not sure I'll get the same as he is currently in the military for his homestate.

3500 is better than nothing

That is true, but I'm pretty sure they expect it all in 1 payment if your cancel the contract if I remember correctly.

Waiting for a trainer

Waiting for a trainer

Oh I will, got a response today but its basically the same as before, they're "working" on getting everybody a trainer.

Waiting for a trainer

Day 12, still waiting for an actual update to see if I leave anytime soon with a trainer. I'd hate to leave my first company so soon but almost 2 weeks waiting for a trainer is a bit excessive. Especially after we were told that they were lining up possible trainers the day you pass your permit test in week 1 of 4 at the school.

Any advice from the experienced drivers?

I understand your situation. Every company has a shortage of qualified trainers. I waited for a week, but that was primarily because I had requested a non-smoker. IMHO 2 weeks is asking a lot, especially if they had set a different expectation level. I am unfamiliar with Henderson's policy, but unfortunately if you were to leave it's likely that you would owe them a lot of money and they might withhold your training certificate until you have paid your debt, preventing you from tendering alternative employment.

You are in a tough spot. Try to be patient and insist on daily updates.

That's one of the kickers, I had told the head of the school that I'm a non smoker, but if need be, I will go with a smoking trainer because I knew it would be rare find of a trainer that doesn't. So when a guy that passed his CDL after me went out with a trainer before me it got me a little PO'd. One of the guys that I became pretty good friends with in the school has since left and went to another company, and is trying to get me to come over there to team drive like we were going to do for Henderson, they accepted his schooling through Henderson and actually paid off his debt to the school.

I'm trying to be patient but I should be in week 2 of OTR training instead of being at home waiting for a phone call. I think I'm going to give it another week, if I can, before I start contacting alternatives.

Day 13.

Waiting for a trainer

Any advice from the experienced drivers?

Waiting for a trainer

Our with it, Michael. What company are you signing on to? We can give better help when we know the company involved.

Henderson Trucking out of Salem/Caseyville IL. Smaller but rapidly growing company, they just acquired Tennent trucking not to long ago, primarily a reefer company pulling a lot of Prime loads.

Waiting for a trainer

Hey everybody I have a question to ask. how long would you guys wait for a trainer before looking for alternative companies? I've had my CDL since the 19th and have been waiting ever since. From what I have been told there is a shortage of trainers in the company and last I heard the wait list was at 15 people. They said they go by first come first serve, whomever got their CDL first would go out with a trainer first. So far I know of at least 1 person who tested after me who has been out with a trainer since the day before thanksgiving.

Overall, I like the company but I find their lack of communication a bit annoying.I understand they are busy trying to find a trainer for everyone but I get the same "I'm working on it as hard as I can" response when I ask for an update. Just get a bit frustrated as they were bringing in 10-15 people every class each week, I figured they would be able to handle the load when us students passed.

Illinois CDL Nightmare!

I moved to Missouri for about 3 months. In that time I changed my license over to Missouri. No problem. Took 15 minutes. Now I come back to Illinois go to get it changed back. Now comes the ignorant bull****! Illinois state won't let you change over without retaking all written and skills tests plus the pretrip. I don't have access to a truck. Haven't driven for a while. It says very plainly in the book that they will wave the skill and pretrip if you are not adding another endorsement but they won't do that! So I checked out a local school. They will let you come in for a refresher course for one week to use their truck. For 1350$! So something that costs 20 bucks in every other state is going to be 1400$ or more by the time it's all done. Almost easier to move back over the river! What a pain in the ass!

That's Illinois for you, you can thank the politicians that sold CDL's in the past for making it harder for everyone now to transfer to Illinois.

Rod Blagoiovich (inmate #21348)

I meant to put past politicians, but even the current aren't much better, but i'll leave it at that.

Illinois CDL Nightmare!

Looking for a good school that will help me pay for tuition.

I have driven trucks before, when I was military. I've dreamed of this job for years! But just do not have the $3000 start up money to go to the school! Any advice?

There are a lot of companies to choose from that have CDL schools. Most will pay for the transport to the school from where you live and pay you during the schooling. When I was looking into CDL schools I narrowed it down between a few companies (prime, roehl, Henderson Trucking). They are all relatively close to where I live so it made sense to do it that way.

That being said are you wanting to go the company CDL route or a private school? Private schools should have financial aid services if you want to go that route.

Henderson Trucking Academy

Hey everyone, I just finished up at the Henderson Trucking Academy (got my CDL on the 19th dancing-banana.gif ). I had a day to day written down on my tablet but it has since vanished off of the tablet since I got home for Thanksgiving.

Here is a brief rundown of what happened that I can remember.

Day 0 - Sunday Oct 25th

Check into hotel in O'fallon and get settled into your room.

Day 1 - Monday Oct 26th Day 1 of 3 orientation days in Caseyville at the yard 7-5 Paperwork galore, the company provided lunch for us from Domino's. Around 4 we were taken to the local Wal-Mart to do our shopping for the week.

Day 2/3 Tues-Wed Oct 27+28 8-5 both days Classroom time for getting your CLP at the hotel in the conference room. Break for lunch around noon back at 1PM.

Day 4 Thursday Oct 29th

My class was taken to the DMV and tested for our CLP. After we were all finished the ones who passed were taken to the yard and met with the instructors (they were in the classroom discussing technique for the skills tests). The ones who didn't were taken back to the hotel to study again and were given the option to test again that afternoon or the following morning.

Day 5 Friday Oct 30th through November 19th

Since the school had more students than intended we were split into two groups one in the morning (7-12) and other in the evening (1-5).

From here until the 3rd week I was solid in the yard only to practice my skills test. I was on the straight back for 4 days (3.5 more than needed) as I was told it was required. I was then moved to the offset for 2 days and then parallel for the rest of the time until I tested. I found out on the start of my 3rd week that my test date was the 19th of November. On the same token I was allowed to start driving on the road with an instructor this same week. It's based off of how well you are doing your skills test as to how fast your allowed to go on the road.

To keep a long story short, this is a less detailed version than what I originally had but I think it'll do the job. If anybody has any questions on the school let me know and I will be glad to answer what I can.

Overall I am satisfied with the school, I learned a lot and will learn even more when I go out with a trainer, hopefully soon.

Best Cell phone companies for truck drivers?

Don't forget to check out T-mobile they offer unlimited talk/text/data for $80 a month. I talked to a driver at the yard the other day who had them and said they are pretty decent unless your going extremely rural.

Starting Pay

I'm headed there within the hour actually, fortunately I'm able to drive myself there (3ish hour drive).

Starting Pay

Can I expect to make more than $250 a week? That is what I currently average at my non-trucking job

Once out of training I would say most likely yes, unless you get hardly no miles. Some companies offer a minimum weekly pay. The company I'm going to once I get out of training and solo they have a minimum pay of 2100 miles @.38cpm.

Sigh, Not Every Trucker is a Gentleman or Lady.

I was minding my business driving the limit without cruise, but fairly steady at 99 Km/hr, when a flatbed pulled up behind me flashing and tailgating. They were in quite a hurry, but not enough to not bother trying to intimidate me.

Brett; you may not want this here, and if so I understand if you remove it.

Road Rage

I had a similar incident in January of this year when I was working for a cable company. Was going down the road doing about about 63 and a semi came up on my 6 like a bat out of hell and rode my rear bumper about 10ft away and flashing his lights on and off for 1/2 mile before passing me. When he came back into our lane his trailer bumper ended about 5 feet away from my front bumper, I was about a half step away from being livid and following him as he turned into a construction site where they were building a new Road Ranger station. Needless to say I was quite happy how I handled it instead of going to jail that night.

DOT Physical and Medical card

The answer wasn't what I wanted but, oh well, just means some money out of pocket beforehand, it's not the end of the world.

The answer was? They require the medical exam certificate be presented as part of the CDL permit application?

Correct, to have a interstate cdl permit you have to have a DOT physical beforehand. Intrastate you don't, but you cant legally practice without it even then.

DOT Physical and Medical card

Michael wonders:

That's what is confusing, it didn't make any sense as to why they would need it just for the permit, I can understand it when you go to get your actual cdl. But it is Illinois so it doesn't surprise me. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what they say.

I don't know about Illinois specifically, but a CDL permit gives you all the rights and privileges of a full CDL holder, save you can't drive without a fully licensed CDL person with you.

So, with all those rights, you need to be physically able to do the job. And that physical card is good for your full CDL, too.

I as well will be interested in Illinois law on this.. Across the river in Missouri and many other States you do NOT need a DOT phyisical to Test for and obtain the permit.

Now if you want to actually drive a CMV using that permit you will need to carry your passed long form with you.

When he calls he needs to specify he is only taking his permit.

DOT Physical and Medical card

Thanks for all of the responses everybody, I will try to get a definite answer from the DMV tomorrow. This just popped into my head, would it be possible to take the written test now and then once I get to the school be able to skip that part, get my DOT physical done by their doctor and then get my permit once that is completed? If not, I'll just try and get a physical done before I leave this weekend.

DOT Physical and Medical card

Let us know the answer when you go to the DMV. I say the answer is like the other states our company has dealt with. No you do not need a medical for just the permit. There is nothing for the state to attach the medical to,you are not a cdl holder and you will not need to self certify at that point anyway.

DOT Physical and Medical card

I was planning on taking the written part and get my cdl permit today, but I was reading on the Illinois website on what I needed to bring. They weren't completely clear about the medical card. I know you need one for you to get your actual cdl, but what about just for the permit?

Since I'm going to Henderson Trucking's school I'll still be in Illinois so I would still have to choose interstate instead of intra right?

Copied this from the Illinois DMV:

You must self-certify your intrastate or interstate medical driving status and if you are declaring as a non-excepted interstate (NI) driver you will need to provide an acceptable medical certificate.

I would not chose "Intrastate", restricts you to only driving in Illinois. "Interstate" is what you want.

The answer is yes to your question, must have your medical card when you apply for the permit.

I assumed that was the case. Thank you for clearing it up.