Comments By kayakngal

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o748/gracefulgal/2012Thanksgivingpic_zps31b8650d.jpg avatar
  • kayakngal
  • Comments:

The promised HOW STARCAR LEARNED TO BACK UP STORY AND INSTRUCTIONS

I hope I'm not over thinking it Pebbles but, I sure do like learning any technique that'll help because this is where I'm least confident (backing) so, if I find this technique works for me then cool - way cool (Star if it works for me I'll be so excited). Driving forward I feel totally fine - with some stress in very tight situations but, I believe that will probably exist throughout my driving career. Backing is when I start praying and hope for some "lucky skill" to come into play. :)

Technology - I'm on top of my laptop being with me at all times and I have satellite WiFi so I hope I'm good there because I need this bad baby to pay my bills. And, once I'm solo I'll bring my old laptop for movies and such. For some reason Star I can't seem to read a book from my pc. I still like old school paper books although, as I mentioned in another post I'll take some online courses while on the road so at some point I'll have to read curriculum from a pc. That will be a learning experience too because I always took classes on campus. I'll wait until my training is complete before I sign up for any courses though.

Kathy you're so lucky to have someone to get practice with - take advantage of that as much as possible. You will feel so much more confident if you've practiced before you take your skills tests, especially backing up.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED OUT ON THE ROAD

Superb information to have. I am so happy I found this forum. You've got to love technology!! :)

The lonely times for women truck drivers

Starcar, I went to CDL class with a young man who was 20 yrs old and he grew up on a farm, backing horse trailers and other equipment since he was a kid. He was a natural when he got behind the wheel of a semi - blew me away. That's how I'm imagining you since you grew up around it. Did it come to you naturally? Also, I'm clueless regarding "Mable and her 4 sisters"? Curious.

Kathy, I know a heartache is a hard to get over and I genuinely empathize. The only thing I can say with any confidence is that time does heal a heartache. I'm sure you know this but sometimes it helps if someone reminds you. It sounds like you have a good civil service/government job though? Mabye not?

Redgator, wow that's a bummer about Bob!! I can't imagine life without Bob in it. :) It sounds like your ex is stepping up to the plate regarding your kids. That's cool. But you divorced the same time you lost a job? That's a lot on a persons plate at once so, obviously you're a very strong woman.

Great stories. I really enjoyed all the various backgrounds of each of you - we're all coming from so many different directions. Isn't that interesting. It seems the independent drivers are enjoying what you do for a living so that's reassuring.

The promised HOW STARCAR LEARNED TO BACK UP STORY AND INSTRUCTIONS

I think I understand. You're saying put my hands, palms facing me, at the bottom of the steering wheel with my hands against the backside of the steering wheel and, if I want my tandems to go left I would turn the wheel using my left hand (from the 6 o'clock position toward 9 then 12)?

Or, are your hands in specific places? For instance; left hand at 7 o'clock and right at 5 o'clock?

Or do I have this totally messed up?

STUCK!

That's a bummer. So, what are your options? Calling someone or waiting it out? I guess I'm curious about what you're supposed to do now? Well, look at the bright side at least your at a location where there's hot coffee, showers and food :)

The lonely times for women truck drivers

THAT'S IT...no more lurking around on this page embarrassed.gifshocked.png for me...

Eeek, it's pretty naive to think men couldn't read this isn't it? So, it's like Vegas in here Guy. What happens in Vegas stays in ...

The lonely times for women truck drivers

Even not on the road it can be a crap shoot.

Red,

I'm going to email you my cell phone#. Class ends at 5 and I'm usually in bed by 9 so call me in the evenings. I'll talk to you anytime.

As far as "relations" don't forget Bob. You know, your Battery Operated Boyfriend. shocked.png

I've been divorced 12 years and Bob has been one of my best friends!

LOL! He is a good friend to have indeed!!

The lonely times for women truck drivers

Wow, this is REAL conversation in here. So, it looks like all the ladies in this thread are single? Probably hard to meet a quality man from a semi truck!

Really that's the last thing I'm even thinking about right now but, I'm sure at some point it will present itself. I've seen a lot of trucks parked very close in off the beaten path areas and wondered ... what they're up to? lol

So, what did you ladies do before you became truckers? What brought you into the business? I used to be a heavy equipment operator many moons ago, quit that to raise my two sons (both grown and independent men) and spoil my then husband. When my kids were older I went into management for many years until I was laid off in 2009. I've not been able to find a job that paid as well since.

I divorced last September after a two year seperation so, I now have my CDL license and I'm ready to try and make some money again. Life is really good and I sure hope I have no regrets about this lifestyle choice. Oh, and I intend on continuing my education via the internet while on the road. Figured I can take at least one course per semester until I figure out if more would be doable.

It would be cool to establish some trucker friends. I know I'll miss my girlfriends from home and I'll need to have some new ones who relate to this new career choice. :)

Teenagers ggrrr..

Mind you I never said anything that would undermind her dad or caretaker. Its just crappy becouse I have a daughter and hope and pray she isnt that mean. I am not looking foward to the teenage years ahead.

That was just a weird teenager. Teenagers are hell though so do a lot of praying :)

What should I expect during...

my training with another woman? I realize everyone is different and nobody here on a forum will be able predict my situation. What I'd like to know is things like this; * What was your experience like - when you reflect what is your overall opinion of it? * What are some positives and some negatives you took away from the experience? * Was your trainer a positive person or demanding and rude? * What was the shower situation like, if you get a free shower for fueling I'm assuming it's only one shower so, did you pay for your shower during training? * I'll be on the road for a month straight before I get to come home so, what are some essentials I should pack that I may not think about now? * Did anyone have an argument with their trainer? If so, why? * How do the male truckers typically treat you? * When/If you're in areas where you feel unsafe how do you handle it? What's do you do to create a safer atmosphere? * Does anyone have their dog with them? * Are they any joggers, bikers who get out and exercise? If yes what's your routine like?

Anything that comes to mind that you believe, as a woman, would have benefited you when you started driving would be appreciated. I start training at my new company on the 18th so I'd love to hear from all of you ladies on the road, starting, experienced, etc. Doesn't matter I enjoy having an opportunity to vicariously enjoy your experiences.

Weird night/day

That CRST guy was not me, I swear! I get by, by robbing banks in my spare time. (Just kidding)

One problem with CRST is sometimes the new guys end up sitting waiting on a trainer, and are eligible for advances and use those. Then they end up with a zero paycheck when they do get on the road. I have more resources than some of the people I saw come through CRST. Even with that, it is tight sometimes. Thats why I buy a few groceries and try not to eat at the truck stop. I can stay alive on pb&j if I have too.

What a good point Troubador. Some of those poor truckers are just trying to start a living with nothing and nobody while starting a living on the road. I imagine it's really tough, and scary, for some of them for a long time. Kudos to Daniel for giving what he could. A little is better then nothing. I'll be eating like a bird for awhile too. I guess it has it's advantages and disadvantages like most things.

Daniel - that's funny about the ding dong backing into someone.

Family

I had talked with Central today and have everything lined out for a start date of April 8th, I told my daughter and she feel apart on me because I will be missing my grandson's third birthday. I am so upset now, I guess in all the planning and excitement I let that slip my mind. I feel so bad, but I need to start making money. What to do? She was cool with everything until this, we have always been a close family. I raised her alone,(of course she had my mom and sister helping too) but since she was 5 it was just me and her. She is married now, and when she gets a grip she will be ok. Is it normal feeling scared to death and have cold feet?confused.gif

Sorry to read you'll be missing your grandsons birthday. I don't have any but if I did I think I would have a little "special party" for him before you leave. Kids are so easy to please when they're that young and a cupcake or small cake would make him happy.

As far as being scared to death - more than I care to say. I will tell you that once you are in school and realize you are going to get a job the pressure eases a little. And, like today when I got my start date the pressure eased even more.

One thing I'd do different is getting prehire letters from companies BEFORE I started school because once you start you're so focused on the curriculum there isn't time for much else. Seriously. I don't know if all states require the same type of training but in Illinois it was more extensive then I realized regarding the mechanics of the tractor/trailer.

If you get prehire letters and choose a company before graduation then maybe you can avoid waiting for a female trainer - like I've had to for about a month after graduation. Just a thought.

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gif Great so happy for you! Glad you got to go where you wanted! I can't wait to get started also...one minute cold feet next minute on cloud nine! Keep us updated!

Thank you!! Yes, the cold feet will not go away until you're sitting in a truck and driving it with confidence. At least that's how it was for me. Actually, driving isn't difficult as long as you're not forgetful about details. Maintain your cloud nine feeling as long as possible when it comes because it's a bit of a roller caoster for a while. I'm still on the ride and yes, I'll keep you updated :)

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Thats Great Kayakngal !!! Good Luck !!

Thank you Starcar!! I pick up a rental next Sunday for the long drive then start the 18th. Very cool to have a game plan now...very cool.

I was wondering about showers when your on the road. Do you get free showers by using the company credit card for fuel or is it different for each company? What's the standard day to day deal?

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Yes Guy I see that happening eventually. And thanks for the support - I took a breather and a few things developed in the last few hours. My original choice of companies called me and gave me a definitive starting date with a non smoking woman - literally as I was leaving to drug test for another company.

Divine intervention?? Hmmm, I'll take what I'm given. So, I have a start date and driving there soon. Very happy and excited. It's been a whirlwind day. And, yes everyone is nice and very open here. Love it.

More random questions

Good questions. The company I was going with were mandating employees to buy boots at a discounted rate and they weren't a flatbed company so, I think boots depend on company policy?

The room in some of the trucks I trained in was unbelievable - we had 9 people in a truck one day and everyone was comfortable. We could have fit a few more but that would have been tight.

I start with a trainer soon and will keep you posted on the experience as much as possible once I'm driving. I'm with you regarding the preference of my own space and not wanting to be in such close quarters for such a long period of time but, I tell myself that part of the experience will soon be another memory - and hopefully a good one.

HazMat and TWIC Info

Just thought I'd share this. I fingerprinted/applied for TWIC last Wednesday and, fingerprinted/applied for HazMat last Thursday. They were both approved almost one week from the day I applied so, it's a very quick process. I had discontinued studying HazMat info because on the web site it said it could take up to a month and wanted my studying to be fresh. So, I wish I would have continued studying so I'd be ready for the HazMat endorsement test. Now I need to study all weekend so I can take it asap.

Anyway, in case anyone else is going through this process I thought I'd share. Oh, and it is a bit pricey yet tax deductible and some companies will reimburse for the cost.

Wet Shaving possible or a trucker?

Yeah I figured I should keep it up. Just wanted to know if it would be rude, or weird, or anything, for a truck driver to spend 20 minutes at a truck stop shaving. But I guess in the end it is my time so I can do what I want with it.

That's right. It's a little ironic since I've had this concern as well and figured it was because I was female. Good to know there are like minded men. I've already made the decision to figure out appropriate shower times that'll allow me time to take care of myself the way I prefer. They say it takes a minimum of 3 months to adjust to a change so I'm thinking I'll have my routine figured out within that time. Hopefully.

Does anyone know if the showers are uni sex or not? I guess some are and some aren't?

Wet Shaving possible or a trucker?

Just a random thought this morning as I was shaving. I am a traditional wet shaver. My facial hair grows like a weed and is very coarse. Was wondering if anyone else carries their Badger Brush, Shaving Soap, Razor, and Blades in their truck.

I cannot shave with the "goop in a can" and 1001-blade plastic razors, they wreak havoc on my face. Plus I enjoy spending 15-20 minutes on my shaving routine... call me a weirdo.

Now I don't have the same issue as you however, if you have a personal hygiene routine which you enjoy then keep it up. I believe it would be a mistake to stop doing those little things for yourself - in my humble opinion. Plus, wreaking havoc on your face is never a good idea :)

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

I too had to wait for a female trainer. My company doesn't allow mixed training. However my company put me in a hotel and trained me with local guys until by female trainer came back and I could do 3 weeks with her. I too got very frustrated but I didn't give up and am very happy with my company. Good luck on your company. I almost went with Schneider too but didn't for 2 reasons. 1. They wouldn't let me go OTR only regional and 2. They wanted me to share a truck so every 6 days Id have to take my stuff out for another driver, um no thank you:) I don't know if they still don't but they weren't allowing idling while parked unless it was above 90 degress or below 30, and they don't have apu's so that would have been a definate can't do it for me. They are a really good company though. Good luck:)

Ugh that's not good because I'm supposed to be OTR too. I wish the company I've been waiting for would train me at their terminal, office location like your company did. That would really ease my mind and make me feel much more secure about my decision. There are a couple of pros about Schneider - one is that I live about 20 minutes from a terminal and the other is the training time and, the fact that one is only OTR for one week, opposed to 8 wks, with a trainer. There is still training at the terminals, on the road with a trainer, etc while you stay at a hotel.

Truthfully, I don't want to give up on the company I originally chose but, I'm afraid they will not be able to get a non smoking female trainer for another month. So, it's like a gamble. If I had a spouse pulling in some money it would be much easier to wait but, that's not the case so I'm crazy anxious about this. Crazy anxious ... like I cant even explain.