Comments By kayakngal

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o748/gracefulgal/2012Thanksgivingpic_zps31b8650d.jpg avatar
  • kayakngal
  • Comments:

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Kayakngal, Don't worry about that hair test, it's not gonna pick up any herbal supplements or such as that. Also, just so you understand, anytime you start a truck driving job it is a law that your new employer do a new DOT physical on you - that's why you going through that again. And one last thing, Schneider is a great company with lots of opportunities, and they are (in my opinion) one of the more female friendly companies. Best of luck to ya!

Thank you! I thought the same after talking with one of my CDL classmates whose training with them - he'd tell me if they weren't good. He used to be a driver then moved to another state and let his license lapse so, he had to go back to school. He told me a few companies to avoid like the plague too but, I won't mention those in public forum :)

Thanks for the support!!

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Yeah I did a urine test for school too. This company is having me do another physical too and I just had one in mid January so, whatever.

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

I am sure you will do great, I have heard good things about them! Keep us posted how things are going! Do most companies do the hair folicle type testing, just wondering...

I have been told that the hair follicle will reflect the past 3 months of whatever is in your system however, I have long hair so I'm sure there's more :) As long as you're honest then it's not going to be an issue.

Thanks for the encouraging words! :)

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

I really don't know but the other company I want to go to does too. So, either company I wanted, because of reputation, did hair follicle. I don't want to name the other company in case this doesn't work out. Don't want to jinx myself.

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

So what company are you with?

Schneider is the one I'm testing for. Hope I chose right (fingers crossed).

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Well, looks like I'll be starting with a reputable company. Doing hair follicle drug testing tomorrow - wow with my hair there's about 8 years worth, holy cow, I can't remember anything I should worry about. :) Anyway, this company has a good training program and if I have a male trainer (only one wk OTR & other two is terminal trainers) then the company rents one of us a room each night.

So, that's cool. I suppose he and I will switch nights in the hotel room? Don't know how that'll go but I guess since he's the trainer he may get the room each night? Doesn't matter as long as I can shower :) and, I REALLY like the training program - friend from CDL class is taking the course now so I have inside info - and they're a very professional company. Yay. I hate having to give up on the other company but what can a person do in such situations?

The hair follicle is intimidating because one starts thinking about all the things they've ingested - even when they are not a recreational drug user. I take so many herbs, supplements, etc and I've had to write them all down to take with me and, on paper I look like a crazy person. lol Wish me luck!! :)

A few comments for the ladies

Thinks she meant CONVO as in conversation...rofl-3.gif and the guys have trouble... umm... maintaining "eye contact"...

Well, that makes perfect sense but I sure wouldn't have figured it out :) thanks!

A few comments for the ladies

Ive never gotten disrespected on the cb........yet im sure.Then again i do sound like im 12!. People still call and ask to speak to my mommy lmao Most men are very nice to me. Now if im having a fonvo at the restraunt they do gwak at my ****s but i simply look at them looking and roll my eyes:)

You have me curious. What are you having at the restaurant?

Is it necessary to have a female trainer?

I doubt the trainer would be to cool about a video camera. And were I you, I wouldn't ruffle feathers by asking...that is a real sore subject with alot of drivers...

Probably. I don't know that I would like it if I were a trainer to be honest. So, this subject comes up in the trucking world? I heard some companies have cameras in the cabs - is this why?

Is it necessary to have a female trainer?

A jump seat is the passenger seat

Ahhh, thank you - learned something today :)

Is it necessary to have a female trainer?

I wonder if they would allow a video camera on the dash, I would like to document my training time anyway to share with family and friends. That would provide protection for both parties.

Shazam! Now THIS Kathy K is the most brilliant idea I've read yet!! Just telling someone you have this device, to record your training experience, will instill the concept that good behaviour is necessary because they never know if the device is recording. Great, great idea. It just keeps the playing field level and applies a little more pressure to behave professionally. I'm going to Walmart :)

Is it necessary to have a female trainer?

Kayakngal, I believe mace is one of those things you can't have on a truck. And personally, having been maced in BPST training...setting off a Mace spray in a truck will get both of ya, so you won't gain a whole lot. Getting a decent trainer is a crap shoot, at best. No company can say their trainers will act appropriately at all times. If it were me, I'd have a sit down with the trainer before we ever left the terminal, and tell them EXACTLY what you expect of him. Then there will be no mistaken intentions, or if there is, you'll contact the appropriate person at the company. Its a slippery slope, to be sure. I really wish more women would go into training. But they all must be like me....I'm really picky about who I sleep behind when that truck's moving. And I know, the trainer has to be in the jump seat a given amount of time....but still...

Eh, rules were made to be... I was one of two females in my union from late 80's to 1998 and learned that sometimes you can talk your head off trying to relate with a person and believe you've reached that person by making a connection of perfect clarity and, things will be just peachy keen from that moment on. Then later they do something that makes you realize - you really can't fix stupid.

So, again it's the gamble that makes my normal, rational and professional side 150% more cautious. I still lean toward the thought process that most people are good. Most people are going to treat others with respect (of course there's always going to be the silly goofs and playful put downs - all in good fun stuff) so, to make my point I'll just mention that I detest lawyers and I'm not looking for any reason to hire one. I detest drama so I am looking for a nice training experience with a normal human being.

As long as whomever I'm training with is level headed, semi intelligent, professional (can I ask for good personal hygeine or is that too much?) and doesn't harm puppies then bingo I'll be a happy trucker which I definitely am not, at this point, because I have no idea what a jump seat is?

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

One positive about this experience is that I've found a niche in this business for women. They definitely need female trainers so, the opportunity screams job security to me good-luck-2.gif

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Well, could you start with a male trainer that doesn't smoke, with the understanding that when a female non-smoking trainer becomes available, you can switch ???? That way you could have the benefit of 2 trainers, and 2 trainers knowledge....Kind of a good deal....

I would but the company that I'm waiting for doesn't allow female/male trainers. Again, I'm open to any ideas but my hands are tied regarding this particular company - which happens to be the company I WANT to work for but, need work now. Ugh, when it rains...

I'd love to have any training right now since I feel like I'm losing my new skills everyday that passes. I'm sure it'll kick right back in but, again it's the anxiety of the unknown. Ya know?

Oh, and I'd love to have a few trainers because, yes, getting two different perspectives is always a winning situation. Thanks for the response and idea :)

Is it necessary to have a female trainer?

I am planning on training with Central, hopefully next month (as soon as I can get all my ducks in a row) anyway...I have read several posts on having difficulity getting a female trainer. Is there anything wrong with having a male trainer? I mean as long as he is respectful to me, or does it "look bad or trashy" Just wondering, I don't mind having a male trainer if that means me getting paid sooner. I can't afford to be out of work to be honest.

My experience so far is that it's mandatory with most "reputable" companies. I realize I state this without having experience BUT I have asked many truckers their opinion - not to mention I've heard some really crazy stories about trainers (male) being inappropriate with trainees (female) so, I just hope for the best.

I'll be carrying mace at all times if I end up taking a job - just to get a paycheck coming in - with a male trainer. It wouldn't be so bad if I could personally choose a trainer whom I'd met in orientation yet, I'm not into gambling and I really, really dislike drama which could come with some male trainers (I realize not all so again - it's the gamble I'm uncomfortable with). Good luck and keep us posted. Especially being a woman because I really appreciate any info you and I can share.

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Thanks for the replies - it's basically that I'm getting anxiety because they can't give me a definite date regarding when a female trainer will become available. I've done research and some companies will allow 90 days some 30 days between grad day and hiring. So, if I wait more then 30 days I'm eliminating potential employers. I don't care who you are - after you've invested in training - that's scary! It feels like a gamble and I'm not a gambler by any means.

This experience does not reflect on the company because I truly believe they're doing what's in their power ... I haven't complained to them however, I have politely voiced my concern. After all I did invest a lot of money to put this into action and since I'm solo I'm also the bread earner hence, no bread = hungry bill collectors. So, just to clarify I'm not being impatient, disrespectful (I have better sense) or expecting too much from a company. I should mention that this company pursued me daily until I agreed to come aboard - then they have no slot for me. Ugh...anxiety kicks in.

I intend on being a good driver and taking whatever work is offered me - that's the dues a new driver will pay for awhile I'm sure. Unless I'm just ridiculously lucky and get high miles right away. Anyway, I'm talking with a few more companies now and will start to weigh my needs accordingly. I appreciate the feedback though!

Oh, and thanks for the welcome and having this forum! thank-you-2.gif

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

Thanks Brett - I'm always professional and polite when dealing with others so, that's not an issue. The bottom line is, I need to start making an income to pay my bills and at this point I don't care who my trainer is, as long as they don't smoke in the cab. I've read some forums and one guy got his training with one company and, jumped to another when the money wasn't coming in so, I'm thinking that's what I could do if I start with a company that proves to be undesirable for long term. Get my training and bail - I mean if it's a good company then of course I'd stay with them.

Anyone else have a similar situation? I realize I'm a minority regarding gender but, surely this situation has happened with a male trucker as well? Stories would be reassuring because right now I feel all alone - well, I am so it's justified. :)

New Female Truck Driver Training Question

I graduated 02/22 and had a job offer by a decent company (still do in a way) but, they are having difficulty finding a female trainer who doesn't smoke. So, I've been told several "start orientation dates" that eventually fall through and now I'm being told a much later date that will put me almost 30 days from my grad date. Not good from what I understand - one shouldn't let 30 days lapse from grad day.

So, I'm now in a pickle because I told several companies I had chosen another company but, I have cold feet and don't want to rely on a company that has proven to be a little wishy washy regarding orientation/training. I need work now. Can anyone recommend a decent company for a woman entering the trucking industry?