Comments By J. Snow

https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee10/JSnow789/jonsnow.jpeg avatar
  • J. Snow
  • Comments:

SWIFT in cab cameras

If the company also said-'oh and btw, installing these cameras is going to save us 100 gazillion dollars every year, so we are going to share that with the drivers in the form of increased CPM' I think the concerns the drivers have might vanish pretty quickly. Not gonna happen-but it would be nice.

My first eastern trip starts tomorrow.

confused.gif

Drug testing before trucking school

Sorry- one too many 'justs' in there... lol

Drug testing before trucking school

I'm going to Swift tomorrow to start orientation this week. Every company is different and every person is different, so don't pay much attention to what others have said. And let me say-that I picked Swift for family reasons and based on what I've read about them. LOL. They were on my short list with Werner and Stevens. Not a last resort by any means.

I did school on my own. The first thing they did was run the 'standard' background check. If there was something bad on it we would have ended our trip right then. Also-don't rely on the drug tests you can get at Walmart/CVS. They will show a negative result but the test used by the lab could still show positive. The ONLY way to be sure is to be clean for the required amount of time. I think the best thing you can do is get some clean time under your belt, then you just have to deal with the record-that may or may not be an issue. Tackle one issue at a time.

Just

Drug testing before trucking school

You need 45 days clean to be sure you pass your UA. Plain and simple. If you got one pre-hire, you can get others. Just keep at it. I smoked to mitigate pain because of knee surgeries. So I had to wait. Everyone has their own story and it's just that-yours. Good luck.

My first eastern trip starts tomorrow.

So it's a 5 day trip... :)

Drug testing before trucking school

Drug testing before trucking school

Delay the start of your training until you KNOW you will be clean. Otherwise there is just no point of going. If you fail, you'll be done in this business before you start. Schneider does hair follicle testing. That generally goes back 90 days. Other companies only do UA testing. But the thing is you gotta be clean before you even start this biz-and stay that way. If you can't don't bother. :)

My first eastern trip starts tomorrow.

Without doing the math-I'd say that's at least a 4-5 day trip...

My first eastern trip starts tomorrow.

Well you are not driving 2891 miles in that short of a time frame. I saw that first.

My first eastern trip starts tomorrow.

The trip plan doesn't start where you are currently located?? :)

Mexico

The recruiters that came by my school said they only drop loads in TX and then Mexican partner companies pick them up and drive them over the border. But I'm looking forward to driving in Canada!

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

Bartending and Server most recently. Prior to the great recession I had been in IT since High School. Oh I've been an Uber driver too this past year. :)

Wanting to get into the truck driving job

Welcome! I head off to Orientation then training tomorrow. I finished up school week before last. It's not easy. But study here and get your permit before you start school-that way you'll be way ahead of the game and can focus more on what they are teaching you instead of the regulations. :)

Stevens Transport Oilfield

I just know that there are a lot of oilfield drivers looking for work now that the prices have dropped.

Going to Swift now...

I have my CDL. Got it last week. I'm golden. I'm doing orientation in Ocala and heading out with my Mentor from there. :)

Also-I remember now that Swift is shifting to Automatics... Wonder if when I get assigned a truck I'll get one of those... Doesn't matter much, just curious. How long were you with your Mentor?

Yes, with a complete CDL in your pocket, all you need is the three day in processing, then the mentor ride.

That's 50 driving hours that you drove and your mentor is (supposed to be) in the passenger seat every mile. You both work on your HOS clocks. After that first week you roll team for the next 400 (your drive time) hours. Team being 24/7 with your individual HOS clocks. (You get paid by the hour for this ride, so drive really safe, if you know what I mean!)

dancing.gif

Back to the terminal for o n e - m o r e short road test, then it's truck time! I don't know how Swift will handle the stick/auto question. They still have hundreds of stick shifters they need to drive out the miles on.

Let me clarify.. proper trainer is my most important thing.

I Can't wait to hear someome tell me I've don'e it wrong. Tell Me/Show Me/Make Me... Im a good listener... ;)

Going to Swift now...

All good. Honestly-I don't care much about the transmission. My biggest thing is I need to be thru training by Jun 3rd. :) I think we will be ok.

Going to Swift now...

Not Doing A Pre Trip

Crst school said to use a black sharpie

Great idea! And easy!