Profile For Bird-One

Bird-One's Info

IL

Rookie Solo Driver

5 years, 1 month ago

Bird-One's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Bird-One's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 5

Posted:  1 day, 7 hours ago

Wanting to become an Owner/Operator

I'd pull containers before I pulled anything for Amazon. Not sure if the current cost of insurance has been mentioned. That is hurting companies big time. Factors like rising cost of tolls. Even a tire can be an absolutely insane expense. I have a screenshot of a receipt from Love's I'll have to find from a few weeks ago. Grand total of 830 dollars for one trailer tire. One. It was the customers trailer so didn't cost us any. These are all things you have to consider. And hope you are mechanically inclined and know when you are being ripped.

Amazon pays so little they have a hard time getting people to do it, coupled with unrealistic delivery windows and I do not think they would be a good company to pull for.

Posted:  1 day, 7 hours ago

Time flys

Good stuff Bobcat. Did you end up getting that run? You said Fort Wayne either makes you work the dock or sit for two hours. God forbid a driver gets exercise. Or has to nap for two hours. Doesn't sound bad to me at all.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Want to be a car hauler with little or no experience

I have never seen a Swift car hauler in my life but than again I started seeing Swift flatbedders for the first time last year. Bobcat mentioned the biggest 3 in the Chicago area. I think 2 of those 3 are union. Juicebox is a car hauler but he had a year of flatbed experience prior too. Been a bit since I've seen him on here though.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Flatbed Variety

I don't know much about Cummins. I had a Detroit 12.7 in my previous truck. The truck on the right in my avatar. Didn't like how it was spec'd though. 10 speed with a meritor transmission. Wasn't fan of that transmission at all. Currently in 3406 E 13 speed.

Kivi’s trucks are all Paccar and Cummins. These trucks are golfers and with the exception of 1, they all run the 12.7 or 14 liter Detroit engines. Cat has more grunt down low, Detroit are more high strung and the one truck we have with the Cummins will crush both to be honest lol.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Flatbed Variety

That's interesting. Not too completely hijack this thread but im curious did you have a cat engine with Kivi bros? Curious because I always heard the Detroit series doesn't have the pulling power Cat has but tend to get better mpg with the Detroit.

I'm lucky enough to be able to not only park in a indoor garage but have access to a hose and ZEP soap. So I wash mine pretty much everyday. By keeping up with it, it only takes me 10 to 15 minutes to wash. Inside I do my best but almost all of the customers I go to have a gravel lot so its not as clean as I wish it could be but still pretty clean.

BTW Robert what's under the hood in your rig?

0016221001599421474.jpg

A very rare legal load which delivers Tuesday morning to a military facility north of Seattle. Because of holiday restrictions, we try to book legal loads to keep moving and not get held up for too long. In this case, it gave me a chance to give this beauty some much deserved Tlc. There’s nothing like a fresh coat of wax from top to bottom and a full polish for all the sunny bits to make you feel good. The compliments from others really do boost confidence too.

How many others take the time to keep their trucks looking good inside and out when the time allows?

12.7 Series 60 with a little extra, 13 speed and 3:73 rears. Mine gets washed every week and I try to keep up with the polishing so it’s never too much effort. I strip and wax about every 3-4 months to help keep the finish in good shape.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Flatbed Variety

BTW Robert what's under the hood in your rig?

0016221001599421474.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Rob T

How close will that put you on hours give or take?

Ill wave to the west when I get there, We will make it work at somepoint.

Its 610 miles round trip an with the pay raise that went into effect yesterday it makes a nice payday

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Change of career from law enforcement to CDL driver

In your opinion. when im watching videos an officer getting his clock cleaned by a piece of metal getting thrown at the back of his neck while bystanders laughed. On top of now officers having to wonder if they are gonna get crucified for any decision they make. I'd say being a truck driver sounds pretty good in comparison. Like Daniel said, first year maybe. But if you were able to handle law enforcement for the past 5 years. There isn't much you can't handle. The 1st year for me had its moments but overrall wasn't that stressful. Thank you for your service by the way Sean.

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I was hoping to get some input on a career change from law enforcement to driving commercially.

I have been in law enforcement for about 5 years now. Needless to say, the current climate has been extremely demoralizing. Practices with my agency have changed dramatically and it seems like I can no longer do my job without a supervisor breathing down my neck or question every decision I make. The result is me coming home stressed and in a bad mood everyday.

I have my CDL A already, but have no experience outside of driving for the military. I was drawn to this career path as I do DOT inspections at my local agency as an ancillary duty. I love this aspect of law enforcement and have not had any bad encounters with drivers. I'm fairly well versed on the title 49 regulations and what not. Unfortunately this is an aspect of my job that I can't do regularly as I still have to answer calls for service.

The idea of truck driving sounds very appealing and I have no doubt I would enjoy it. My only concerns are taking a paycut (my base salary is $51,000ish) and being away from family. I am getting married at the end of September and the idea of going away for months at a time right after that doesn't sound all that great to me of my significant other. Money isn't everything for me, but at the same time, I'm not exactly in a position where I could take a paycut.

All in all, I'm tired of the micromanagement and the culture surrounding American law enforcement right now. The idea of changing careers is pretty scary, but being miserable in my current career isn't my much better.

Is there any advice or words of wisdom you guys are able to provide? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody told you this but you’ll be just as stressed as a truck driver

Posted:  1 month ago

Bobcat

No worries Bobcat. Figured it was worth a shot. I'm down that way every once in a while. And I continue to consider OD. But my company maybe picking up alot of work come end of the year. So I don't know. I keep going back and forth with it.

Posted:  1 month ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

I'll be around the TA in Morris tomorrow if anyone will be out that way.

Posted:  1 month ago

Bobcat

Not sure what your hours are or how far away you from the Berkots DC off of Briggs in Joliet but I'll be there tomorrow for a drop and hook around 10 or so.

Posted:  1 month ago

Scenario for new drivers

Gonna depend on how close the trailer is to the wall if I'm looking at it right. I think you could hook it but you're going to have to make an immediate hard right so the nose of the trailer clears the dumpster. Which may or may not leave room for the corner of Icc bumper to clear the wallconfused.gif .

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

My wife HATES bad weather so I knew it was coming but it seemed like it pretty much blew over the Oak Lawn IL area. Gusty winds for sure but went quick. We did loose power also but got it back after a couple hours. I had no idea there were that many outages. We did have sirens either.

Glad you where parked too, I went to Home Depot to get a battery operated fans and there are a bunch of trucks parked in store lots and on the roads.

There are 600k people without power here so it maybe days before it comes back on. If so ill have to get a hotel I guess.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

What is your trucking pet peeve?

Yeah I agree with all of these. I have a few that maybe rather uncommon.

Going down say a two lane route. Nobody on the road but me and a driver behind me. Off ramp coming up about 300 hards. I signal to get off now im being tailgated nobody in the second lane and the second I merge over I about have my mirror ripped off with the driver still going 65 miles an hour. Move over if you can. A tad bit wouldn't kill ya.

Speaking of tailgating. Getting on an off ramp that's pretty much a straight shot or not much of a curve. Halfway through keeping it at a safe 20 miles an hour. And a driver enters at what looks like 40 miles an hour catches you and now tailgating.

The one that really gets me. Going down say 80/94. You're in the right lane. See a truck ahead on the shoulder. And now he decides he just gonna make a hard right back on the interstate without making any attempt to pick up some speed or give drivers a chance to get over into the next lane. Bonus points for the ones who neither use their hazards or turn signal.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

Its okay to be jealous Packrat. I would be too.

smile.gif

I guess when ever I take this rig for a spin with a 260 wheelbase I'm not a "trucker" since its a daycab. confused.gif0760607001597004761.jpg0538067001597004906.jpg

With that purple color AND a daycab?

No you're not.

rofl-1.gifrofl-1.gifsorry.gif

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Interesting conversation with a driver

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Lets try that again.

0510081001596392432.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

Mom and pop in Grovertown, Indiana. Guess this is one way to get your company name on your trailer. Lincoln Logistics it says.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Starting pay for TMC Transport?

Sorry. I always get those mixed.

PackRat used the word "grossed." That refers to what he earned before taxes and any other deductions. "Net" refers to take home pay, or after taxes.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Starting pay for TMC Transport?

To be clear Packrat you're saying you brought home 5400 AFTER taxes and deductions in just over a 3 week period? So thats what roughly 1800 dollars a paycheck take home? Or did you mean net? Unless I'm missing something.

I grossed around $5400 this month. A low month of just over 10,000 miles driving in 24 days. Two days off at home, and five days in the shop for a rebuild.