Profile For Dave Reid

Dave Reid's Info

Baltimore, MD

Experienced Driver

3 years, 9 months ago

Dave Reid's Bio

My first career was in the insurance business...did a 20 year hitch. After getting burned out with that, I drove a taxi for 3 years, then was hired to be a manager with the company...ultimatedly I became president, coo, and a partner in the company that owned about 100 vehicles - taxicabs, limousines, paratransit vans, small buses, etc. I also obtained my class B CDL around 2004, and drove various buses and so forth part time.

The business got into financial troubles...loss of the major paratransit contract and the uber/lyft cancer. So, I upgraded the CDL to a Class A and became a trucker. I wanted to get away from it all, so to speak.

I was with Roehl for a minute but had a family issue to help with so I locally drove limo coaches, buses, and motorcoaches for a year or so, then got back to OTR with Pride Transport pulling reefers. I became a trainer for Pride and worked with a few students. Now, I'm an O/O leased to Schneider and I'm loving it.

I don't really live anywhere, so I can go wherever the wind blows.

I enjoy taking a day off now and then, staying at the home of a relative or friend. Now and then, I get a motel room.

I list my city as Baltimore since something needs to go in that box, but I don't really have a city right now and don't expect to for quite some time. I am saving my $ for retirement.

I was born in Baltimore and spent my first twenty years in Harford County, Maryland. Then, I moved to Jackson, Michigan...from there to Ann Arbor. I lived in Michigan most of my life, until I was about 57. Now, I live on the road, and take my time off in various locations where my friends and relatives live.

I'm a big fan of the Detroit Tigers, and also the Detroit Red Wings.

Dave Reid's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 day, 3 hours ago

Two Days With No Load

That is crazy ...seems like someone at the office is dropping the ball here ...they have plenty of loads within a half day of there.

Been sitting for two days in limestone, NY with no load, gotten a message twice about no loads being available in this area. A Swift, Knight, and another truck has also been here about the same time.

By far the longest I've waited for a load, I would figured they would deadhead me somewhere closer to freight by guess not. confused.gifshocked.png

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Hauling produce?

If you're talking about OTR produce work, I'd say that it differs from other reefer work to some extent in that there are often multiple pickups from places that load FCFS and then they may have a very time sensitive delivery with little time available between the final pick and dropoff. The driver must often need to figure out how to be at the first pick the night before, check in the minute the place opens, and hustle between the picks and then to delivery. Often the delivery will have to be made during what should be the 10. Delivery can take a long time. Obviously, the reefer unit has to be supervised closely. If product temperature has not been maintained properly throughout the journey, it will be rejected.

Lots of drivers can not/will not deal with produce runs. If one has prior experience dealing with the extra hassles yet is still applying to another produce hauling gig, the hiring folks probably feel the applicant has a better chance of sticking with it then does one that hasn't done it before.

Why do some trucking companies require produce experience? Is it more significant than regular reefer hauling , what’s all involved?

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Went over Chesapeake Bay tunnel /bridge

That's a mighty nice route....I've gone that way a bunch of times. We just need to be sure to check what the wind speed is beforehand; that bridge becomes very dangerous when it is windy, especially if we're not heavily loaded.

I took the Chesapeake Bay tunnel/bridge today, very beautiful I just say. Plus it was a nice and clear day after I got out of the fog in NJ.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Breakdowns

If we end up missing our sleep time, we may well need to notify dispatch that we need a day added to the trip. Let dispatch know as soon as possible....they will work with the consignee to get the delivery appointment changed.

Pushing it and driving while sleepy is a recipe for disaster. Keeping an appointment is not worth causing an accident or your health.

Stay safe brother.

I picked up a loaded trailer at the Proctor & Gamble DC in Corinne, UT. It had two tires with patches worn off the tread almost down to the base of the tire (would attach a picture but not sure how).

Long story short I went to the Loves about five miles away and got here around... 6? 630pm (maybe 7). Took them three hours to get into a bay and I've been waiting on them just to start the work since (round 9 or 9:30 I think? Maybe 10?

Haven't been able to catch a nap at all since we can't be in the truck while it's in their bay and I have a hard time sleeping when I'm still at "work" regardless of whether or not I'm actually doing anything. At this rate it looks like I'm gonna be up till 1 or 1:30 (its 12:15 right now). Do y'all have any good tips for dealing with this... specifically that I should have been asleep three or four hours ago but I still have a full day to log tomorrow-- I won't be late but I'm going to be groggy all day. Half of this is... frustration and whinging but it's an issue I've had to deal with before but I don't know if there's any better way to do it because shorting myself on sleep is getting harder to do.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Curtained flatbed companies?

ROEHL is a good mega that has some curtiansides

Hey y'all!

I'm new to the forum but not new to the trucking world. Been pulling flatbed since the start of my career in 2012 (not a veteran compared to some but I'm definitely not a rookie 😂). But anyways I'll cut to the chase! I love securing loads and flatbed as a whole. But my back just can't handle tarping anymore because of injuries outside of trucking. Are there any good companies that pull predominantly or only curtains? I currently drive for Maverick** and love the company but I just can't handle tarping anymore because of my injuries.

Help is greatly appreciated.

*Also if anyone has any questions about Maverick I would be more than happy to answer.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Dispatcher Wants To Talk To Me

That wouldn't comply with the protocol fir testing, Mr Grump. Once told, you have to go to the testing place immediately, if not sooner.

Why didn’t they just tell you. It isn’t like you can do anything to cover it up anyway.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I have a CB question.

There is an antenna in the roof of your Freightshaker. Give that a try and see if it meets your needs before adding anything else. I found that the internal antenna is adequate for me

I cant help you but others might if you say what make, model and year your truck is just saying.

2015 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution to be more specific.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Omg, locked my keys in my truck again

Jamie, stop doing that!

I have:

1). Ignition switch key on it's ownkey chain

2). Truck key and lock* key on retractable cord belt attachment thing

3). Truck key and lock key on caribiner clip on opposite side of belt, along with my Leatherman

4). Flat truck key in wallet

5). Truck key and lock key clipped in my shower bag

6). Truck key and lock key clipped in my laundry bag

7). Truck key in magnetic case under cab

Overkill? Well...I am not going to get locked out :-)

*I have a Warlock set with padlocks, brake cuff lock, gladhand lock, and kingpin lock all keyed alike.

I swear.. I locked my keys in my truck yet for a second time since I went solo... it's terrible, I noticed it as I was shutting the door but I couldn't catch it in time... embarrassed.gif

It's weird because yet again I some how got my phone just like last time, like I knew... rofl-3.gif

Thought I had a key zipped tied outside the truck, but it's not there. So yay me.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Question for you men.....

No...write on!

If I wrote an article about some of the comments/advances I have gotten from men on the road and told how I reacted, would you be offended?

I ask because I have a dry, witty, sarcastic sense of humor. Some of my immediate remarks come out naturally and are hilarious when I look back on them. But I wouldn't want it to come across as man bashing or offensive to you.

Technically, women today would call male/female interactions like this sexual harrassment. I just more or less harrass back without the sexual overtures.

I wanted to.include it in a piece on taking everything so.seriously that it affects you, and how humor can save your sanity.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Moving while out of hours?

True, however Jamie's company (Schneider) does not.

In this instance, he will just need to creep over to the parking area he mentioned.

Keep in mind - EVEN IF your company allows "personal conveyance" driving (AKA: Line 5), you cannot drive on Line 5 with a load on.

Actually, yes you can. As of approx 5/18, new FMCSA rules allow the use of personal conveyance to find the nearest safe parking after running out of hours at a customer, even if laden.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Tandem release pins

If your trailers have manual release handles, be sure to carry a pair of vice-grip pliers to hold the handle out in cases where you can't get the thing to stick in the notch.

If you have air-release pins, in addition to what has already been mentioned, note that you may need to give the trailer a couple of minutes to air up with the trailer air supply knob pushed in. Pretty rare that you really have to beat them in

Picked up a trailer last week and needed to move the tandems. Wouldn’t budge. I had to beat all four pins to within an inch of their lives to get things to slide. Do these mechanisms need periodic maintenance? When we get a trailer like this should it be reported for maintenance? I’d hate to think every driver who got this trailer was going to have the same problem

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Will these medical conditions prevent me from being able to truck drive? Can any compromise be made?

Most companies will not allow the anti-seizure med period. Your best hope would be some company that requires just a DOT medical nothing else. A DOT examiner that isn't working for the company would likely accept a letter from your doctor stating something like the you don't have seizures and are fit to drive commercial vehicles. They where to go? Maybe local dump trucks, trash trucks, buses...that's a start.

Hello everybody! I've never driven a truck in my life but I have begun to fall in love with the idea of trucking and I want to give it a shot. However I have a few medical problems that I think will prevent me from doing trucking. So I need a weigh in on advice from you more experienced folks to help me determine if I can make it despite these issues.

Importantly what I would also like help determining is that, in the event that I cannot do trucking if there are other jobs involving driving large or uncommon vehicles that you guys think I could try instead. And I would really in that case love help in determining where to get schooling for these jobs and also like help in figuring out exactly what other jobs involving vehicles there are out there aside from trucking. Because I've tried searching quite a lot already but I can't find much outside of maybe construction vehicles.

So what is it that I have? Well three things that are of relevance.

1. Sleep apnea. Basically I need a sleep apnea machine and a mask to let me breathe well while I sleep

2. Some form of REM behavior disorder. What happens is that when I sleep it is possible that I might wake up, scream at the top of my lungs and then run as fast as I can away from my bed. Yikes! It happens a few times a month. I don't think I can do OTR with this.

3. I'm on an anti seizure medication. In the medical regulations I am reading something about this type of medication disqualifying somebody from being able to drive a truck. However the tricky part is that I do not actually have seizures myself. I am taking the seizure meds for a secondary issue that the seizure meds just so happen to treat really effectively as well. So since I do not actually have the seizures would this allow me to bypass this rule and drive despite taking them?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Clock Management and 34 hr resets

I can't count either. That's part of why I like to run recaps. I don't even have to take my pants and socks off to figure out my hours

Me neither...and when you go from east to west you GAIN time not lose it.

normally you would gain an hour going from eatern to central, but the DLST cancels that out. it doesnt put you back 2 hours.

im confused.

it seems like you have 0530 to 2100 to run 465 miles... 15.5 hours.

Im lost

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Double clutch struggling in lower gears 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th!

Make sure that you are not pushing the clutch in too far. A tiny depression clutching out of gear then a tiny depression clutching into gear does the trick. You only need push the clutch in far (to the floor) if you're at a dead stop and it won't go into 1st or 2nd otherwise. Also, make sure you're getting completely off the fuel while shifting, albeit very briefly.

Once you get the hang of it, you may find that you don't really need to clutch at all, especially in high range.

Practicing in a car (with a synchronized trans) is useless.

If you're having trouble making the small depression, you might want to try putting the seat back further and/or up higher.

You'll need to develop a feel for what works best (rpm, shifting speed) under varying conditions of weight, road speed, and terrain. Shifting going uphill @79,999lbs is a lot different than level ground @50,000.

Some have suggested shifting slowly. This may vary with the truck, trans, rears, etc. I've used 9 spds, 10 spds, and now a 13 EF with a Cummins ISX15. I don't remember too much what the others were like, but my current ride doesn't like dawdling...prefers quick shifts, especially if heavy and/or uphill.

My instructor telling me to shift at 1500rpm for 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th gears, but when i try to release my clutch, i have to be really slow letting it go completely , like wait about 2 seconds(like about taking off from 2nd gear, we always start on 2nd gear when come to a complete stop). or if i let go of the clutch to soon the engine will sound like i am(downshifting & sound like engine breaking)

Is my RPM shifting is too high? or the problem is just in me. and i dont think he ever shift on 1500rpm on low gears.

He even told me to find someone with a manual transmission car and practice to it whenever im off from training. ' Does it really help practicing on a car?

I really feel down and frustrated right now.

Thank You for reading.!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Easy live unload

You can also just back up really fast then slam on the brakes. Might have to do it a couple of times, still, it shouldn't take long

I've delivered to landfills before, but had not seen this, machine picks up trailer and dumps load, they call it a "tipper"

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Why do some truckers try to avoid a 34-hour restart?

As we see from the responses to this question, different drivers have different preferences as to what strategy works best for them.

Sometimes the best strategy changes depending upon what is going on. for example, even though I normally run on recaps, this week I am busting it hard and trying for as close to 11 daily as I can get because a) last week I had a load with extra time on it, so I pushed it the first day and then had 34+ off before delivering on Monday am, and b) I am taking off for a two week vacation starting tomorrow night so I'm trying to jam as close to 70 as I can get into this M-Sat. But, normally I run recaps.

To further clarify, if you limit your logged driving/duty time to an average of 8 hours and 45 minutes daily, you can run forever and never run out of hours, so you can take time off when you want to but you'll never *have* to.

Depending upon your dispatch, this may or may not work for you.

I think it likely works best for certain types of freight too, but I only have personal experience with reefer, dry van, and biological cargo.

To answer another question posed in another post on this thread, no, most companies aren't going to deduct from your home time allotment because you got a 34 on the road, but then again in one way of looking at it you might be losing income because of it.

Drive for a while and find a strategy that works for your lifestyle, your wallet, and very importantly, your dispatch. Just be sure to develop a real strategy that works for you. As has often been said, hoping for the best isn't a good business plan. Whatever you're going to do, do it on purpose, and *with* purpose.

Dave Reid, that was a very good comment on this subject. My trainer suggested I do what you do and I understand it, but I'm not sure all the beginners here understand what you are suggesting. Maybe you could explain the 8:45 per day aspect and just what it accomplishes. That would be very educational especially for those in school trying to learn HOS.

Also, many consider the 34 reset as a 24 hr. reset because it is almost always taken in combination with a 10 hour DOT break.

If Dave doesn't chime in here, maybe one of the other HOS experts can explain the 8:45 trick.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Looking For Feedback - Would You Guys Like To See Today's Trucking News Headlines? Give me some ideas

You could post it to FB the way you do the weekly one

We have a section on the website for trucking news articles and we post 3 times a week. The articles we're posting are mostly longer, more involved articles about important topics in the trucking industry.

However, I know a lot of you guys follow the news in the trucking industry and like to know what's going on right now. Would you guys like to see daily news headlines, maybe a list of the top 10 current news stories that truckers would care about? It could be weather related, accidents, trucking-related government headlines, ongoing DOT enforcement checks, black smoke matters rallies - anything and everything related to trucking, but mostly focused on short term stuff that only matters right now or is happening right now, as opposed to longer, deeper dives into important topics.

So the question is, would you guys like to see "today's trucking headlines" and if so, where? Would you like us to post a topic in here each day with a list of headlines? Would you like to see a list of headlines on the main forum page somewhere, like maybe below the list of conversations so it's not in the way all the time but still easy to find?

We're trying to figure out if this is a feature you guys would like to see, and how would you like us to implement it?

Thanks so much!

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Why do some truckers try to avoid a 34-hour restart?

Maybe, but probably not.

If you are going to be home for 34+ weekly and are young and energetic and can handle busting out 11/14 hour days 6 days a week, great - so long as your dispatch can actually arrange 525-600 mile days for you every day that you work.

For old farts like me, doing 8:45/14/12 hour days many days in a row is much more sustainable. Heck, I did it six months straight once. Currently, I'm doing about 75 days straight, but then this Saturday I'm starting a two week cruise. I'd rather log 8:45 daily a couple of months and then have a sweet vacation than do 70/34 over and over, and I'll bet we can earn more that way too, on an annual and lifetime basis.

But, whatever suits your schedule...what works best for one isn't always best for all.

What's the benefit of spreading your hours through the week? You'll get about the same amount of miles whether or not you take the reset, right?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Would you have stopped sooner?

1). What Rainy said. 2). Get someone to explain how IFTA works to your company so they'll drop the idiotic prohibition against fueling in Georgia. The States charge tax by miles driven in them, not by where the fuel is purchased. The only States that do something a bit differently are Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Started my clock around 7:30 a.m. for 8:00 a.m. pickup Apt. Did my pretrip and rolled in the yard at 8:01. Secured the load and pre tripped the new trailer. Load going to Wilmington NC by 8:00 a.m. tomorrow. 620 miles. Easy right? Got out of there around 9. I had planned to take my 30 and fuel at the pilot on I20 east of atl. While trying to fuel my card was declined because we are not supposed to fuel in GA due to high taxes. Was told this in orientation but didn't retain it for some reason. Needless to say that caused a delay but they let me get 50 gal to get out of GA. So by this time I'm trying to figure out if I can make it to my intended stop outside Wilmington with enough time to take a 10 and still make my appt. Well, I made it with literally 30 seconds on my clock and 10.5 hrs till my apt. I'm 20 minutes from the customer. As a matter of fact as soon as I pulled the brakes and took my seat belt off it chimed at me.everything worked out but I feel like there was a better way to do this so I'm not stressed for the last 4 hours constantly checking my clock. Any suggestions? This was my very first load solo and I'm stressed the heck out now lol.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

No good deed goes unpunished...

At least Little America has good food, great showers, and a nice little TV room....lots of worst places to get stuck :-)

As for the rest of your story, well, you know I think you flatbedders are crazy rofl-1.gif

Ring....ring

Hello?

Hey Rich, I got a driver that needs to get home in NY by the 7th, and your load to MI will get him close. His load was going to SLC, and I'm not sure I can get him back in time. Can you swap loads with him? It'll turn your 1800 mile run into 1600 miles but I'll throw some extra $ in to make up the difference.

Sure pal, no problem. Whatever you need.

*************

Good deed, right? Well, first you gotta understand that I beat feet outta Utah just yesterday to get ahead of that storm going through WY. Now with this repower I had to turn around and drive straight back into the storm, while also trying to squeeze in a needed reset to ensure my own hours will be there to make it to my own upcoming hometime in FL.

Met up with the other driver in NE, and went through the unpleasant process of untarping/retarping and unsecuring/resecuring our respective loads. This took some time of course, but hey this a rare event so no biggie.

I spent the night right there and got up at 0200 to head off into the storm, intending to make it as far as possible before the weather shut me down, then staying wherever that may be for 34hrs to get that reset I need. I'd finish the trip early Mon and still make delivery on time.

I wasn't long into the trip before noticing the load just didn't feel right behind me. It felt real heavy to the rear, and I began to suspect the balance was off, so I hit the next cat scale. My drives were at 25k and my tandems were at 37k!! Of course this is legal on a spread axle, but still not how I'd like it. This guy loaded the trailer completely off-balanced, and now here I am having to run it through a snowstorm.

I've been to the shipper where he loaded this, and I know the driver determines load placement there, so the fault is all on him for not centering the load.

Well, I'm glad to say I made it safely through the storm, and got as far as Little America in WY where I'm currently sitting out my 34. As planned I'll get up early Mon and finish the 2-3 hrs to the receiver. Yes I could have waited out the storm, but this gave me my best option for success going forward towards my own home time. I never reached the point of feeling unsafe but I certainly felt the off-balance of that load and adjusted my driving accordingly.

So a nice easy weekend run turned into a PITA. That's what I get for my good deed. Not that I'm really complaining. I'd do it again tomorrow if my dispatcher asked me to. He takes good care of me for stuff like this.