Profile For Lobos A.

Lobos A.'s Info

Lindon, UT

7 years, 4 months ago

Lobos A.'s Bio

We offer both driving jobs and a CDL school here at Lobos. The school involves an intense, 15 week course that takes you from studying for your CDL written test all the way to getting you on the road pulling freight and making money. We also offer CDL driving positions for those who already have their CDL. We can help you get more money and more miles than the other guys!

Our mission is to help people obtain the means to support themselves and their families through truck driving. Whether we're providing a CDL driver with a job or helping a student get their CDL, our goal is to help them get on the road and making the most money they can through their driving skills.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Hey guys, I've been told that the reimbursement is being handled. The person taking care of it has been out sick this week so I haven't had a chance to ask him if it's been sent out yet or not but the last I heard on Friday was that it was being sent.

On the contract I got some answers as to why they don't send it out beforehand. Because it is a very long and complex contract they do not want to overwhelm people with a big legal document without being there to explain everything to them when they look at it. I can see both sides to the argument, though, and I'm encouraging them to at least put together a more comprehensive summary contract so that people can see the contract in layman's terms before they head out to the office. I spoke with the new school manager about this and he is putting together a ton of information for various aspects of the school and for new drivers coming in and he really wants to put together better videos to explain the contract as well. The idea being that these videos would be available to anyone coming in so they could get the explanation before they get on a bus/plane/car. As I have the time I will try to put together a contract FAQ as well so that even if people aren't getting a copy of the contract they're at least getting the information IN the contract beforehand. I'll try to keep you guys updated as frequently as possible; I'm down to just an hour or two a day now so I don't have as much time to spend on responses as I did, but I will try my best.

Thanks again for all of the constructive feedback and suggestions. I've seen this company come a long way in improving not only their transparency but also the quality of the services they provide. I haven't always agreed with the content, tone, or manner of the posts here but there have been several gems throughout the pages of this thread that really have helped this company improve, so thank you to those who have contributed in its betterment.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Brett, if you want to shut down the thread I understand, but I'm hoping you might wait just a bit longer to see if Lobos will answer those 2 questions.

I'd be surprised if that response happens, if it hasn't happened already. Which is a shame.

I'm working on getting answers for you guys. I apologize for the slow responses on my part. I have very limited time to work on postings and things like that now. There IS an answer on the contract and reimbursement and I am trying to get it. As I said before, I'm primarily doing marketing consulting and analysis now and that is only part time now. I wasn't able to talk to the person I need to for very long today but I am going to try to get those answers this week.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Yes, sorry I meant "Charles" not Chris. I apologize for the slow responses here this week. I've been pretty swamped with other work and I'm transitioning to a more consultative role with Lobos' marketing and PR rather than direct involvement. I have relayed everything that's been happening here to the owner, I have spoken with other employees within the company who were involved with the situation, and I think I have a pretty good picture of what's been happening with everything. I can tell that this certainly isn't the horror story Charles is making it out to be, though I can sympathize with the frustration and disappointment of coming out to a job and then it not being something you're interested in and having to drive back home. I get it, that really sucks and I'm sorry you haven't been reimbursed yet. I'm doing what I can on my end to get things moving more quickly but unfortunately I personally have very little control over that. I can say that claiming this experience has given you PTSD or forced you to go looking for handouts is making you look a bit like an ambulance chaser here. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm saying this to point out that you're not helping your case. The most you would be reimbursed is around $300 as that's the most expensive bus ticket we typically see (and it is made clear on the phone that if you drive yourself we will reimburse up to a bus ticket as long as you provide fuel receipts) so if $300 - $600 was going to break your bank then you were going to be in financial hardship no matter what happened as anywhere you go to work is probably not going to pay you for at least 2 weeks, some places 3.

Once again, I see a post that was not supportive of the anti-lobos tone was removed. It does appear that anyone that isn't Lobos that disagrees with the comments or the moderator of this forum gets their posts removed and anything that could possibly make someone that isn't Lobos look bad is swiftly removed as well. I am clearly involved in PR so I get it, but you can't do that and then claim to take a moral high ground of promoting only the truth. That may be one of your main goals, but you also have the goal of making yourself look good, which is understandable.

Obviously I want to make the company I work with look good, and more than that I want them to genuinely BE good as well. I've personally made great efforts to do so and, even though I have never had a lot of direct control over policies, contracts, etc. I've worked very hard to fix things that were obviously broken and clear up things that were unclear. Even now that I am working as a consultant I'm frequently urging courses of action that will make things better for everyone. That doesn't mean that these guys are Bond villains sitting in big office chairs sinisterly plotting the downfall of every aspiring CDL driver. Everyone who works at Lobos is genuinely trying to do a good job and provide a good service to the customers. While you may not like some of the decisions the business owners make the people that work in this office are genuine, hard working people. Things will constantly move forward and improve, students and drivers who come in months from now will have better systems and things than people right now; it's just the nature of growth and improvement.

To address some of the other comments. Yes, a $10,000 termination fee is a pretty intimidating number, but when it's explained it makes a little more sense. First off, the easiest way to not pay that is to simply give 2 weeks notice that you're quitting. That's one of the easiest things in the world to do is pick up a phone and say hey this isn't for me, I'm out in 2 weeks. The other things to consider are that when someone quits without notice, that means the truck is sitting with either a single driver or no driver if it's a solo. So the company has to pay to retrieve the truck, get it to a driver or a driver to it, get hit with loss of payment or fees for late deliveries, especially if it's a team load, which means hurting relationships with brokers and shippers AND receivers, plus there could potentially be damages to the truck when someone with a grudge decides they're going to damage or vandalize the truck and/or trailer. All of those expenses add up pretty fast. So that amount is planning ahead for all of those potential expenses and/or losses of revenue (because if the truck makes no money or negative money then none of the companies get paid for their services, the driver doesn't get paid, and the companies end up eating any negative revenue to make it so the co-driver doesn't end up owing money instead of making money). So the $10,000 fee is there to cover that kind of scenario and getting out of the contract is incredibly easy so unless you're going into it with a plan to try and screw people over, it really shouldn't be that scary. You're welcome to disagree with that if you like, but that is my take on it and what's been explained to me about how the contract works in this area.

I'll post more next week as I've run out of time for today, but I will keep everyone updated on the situation and continue to point out what I think is mud slinging, exaggerations, or valid points (because despite all the drama there have been some valid points in this thread too which have improved the way Lobos operates).

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

I am still coordinating with the business owner to get this resolved and get all the facts on what happened with Chris on this end of things. I've alerted the business owners of the situation and I'm trying to get it resolved. We'll be in touch with Chris soon and I'll post more here if not this week then early next week. Sorry for the delay in responses, my time has been pretty limited this week.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

I don't have time to address each and every person that has posted here so I will just say this.

I do not see where anything that has been said here or on the phone since the major website overhaul (which cleared up a lot of outdated and unclear information) has been contradictory, hard to understand, or anything else that's been said about us. Please show me where we are being inaccurate, untrue, hiding something, etc. All I see on this thread is name calling, stating what other companies do, hugely exaggerated claims, and borderline libelous statements. If you don't want to recommend our CDL training program or our owner operator services I am perfectly fine with that. Your endorsement or lack thereof is your own business. What I do take issue with is the constant name calling and exaggerated claims with no proof or verifiable examples of any wrong doing.

I saw someone mention seeing a paystub from someone. We don't issue employee paystubs as we don't employ these drivers. We send them statements which detail the rate the truck made for each type of load, dead head, etc. as well as all of the expenses (all of them) and deductions that might be made from things like personal advances or repair costs. So unless that's what you were looking at then that's not accurate information.

We make no attempt to hide the fact that there is a contract to sign and if you are not willing to sign the contract then you will need to make your own way home. If you're not prepared to do that and you can't afford to pay your own way back then PLEASE do not come out for orientation. If you like what our website says and what we go over on the phone, and you feel all your questions were addressed then by all means come on out and we'll get you setup with our system and you can make a lot of money assuming you apply yourself and utilize wise time management. If you have doubts, if you are unsure if you want to start out as an owner operator, if you'd rather sacrifice earning potential for a steady, flat rate with a big company then please do so and do not come out. We do not want people who are going to come out without being prepared and leave once they get here. That costs us money. We also don't want people to come out and feel forced into a contract and drive with a grudge as those guys do not perform well and usually end up costing us money as well.

Regarding the reimbursement issue, please tell me who told you we would not reimburse you unless you removed your comments. If that is something that happened then that is something I will bring to the business owners' attention and make sure it gets resolved. That is not something we do and not something I will let slide. You were told you would be reimbursed up to the cost of a bus ticket for coming out here so that is what we will do.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

@Pat M.: I understand what you're trying to spin here, but your analogy is severely flawed. It's the income and expenses of the -truck- not all expenses of all businesses providing services to the owner operator. So the things that come out of the truck profit are things that relate to the actual truck and operations. If you spend $500 in fuel then that comes out of the profit, if you wreck the truck and have to pay a $1,000 deductible then that comes out of the profit. If you drive well and maximize your time and haul a lot of loads and get $6,000 worth of revenue for the truck then that adds to your truck profit. It's really that simple.

@Paul W.: yes indeed things were pretty unclear and our website was pretty awful when I first took on handling the online presence for Lobos. It took a while but I eventually was able to build something better and more informative, some of the changes even came from suggestions here. Now the site is informative, clear, and consistent. I also revamped the recruiting process for Lobos and more checks and disclaimers were put in place before purchasing travel for new students and drivers. We lose money when people come out to the office and then decide to leave, so it's not in our best interests to be misleading. I appreciate the kind words re: myself, I truly am trying to make sure everything is presented clearly and concisely while dealing with the mud slinging.

@Errol V.: By your own statement you just disproved your claim. UMCC does indeed exist as you just said it is an incorporated business entity. Just because it doesn't have an online presence does not mean it doesn't exist. The UMCC is not a consumer facing business and does not do it's own recruiting or advertising so it has no need for a website. That is part of what Lobos does.

@Brett A.: I would think name calling would be a bit beneath the owner and moderator of a forum like this. I see you took down your post, and I am glad to see that, but the fact that it was posted at all is rather unprofessional. It's not the first time I've seen that happen here too. Time and time again I see this forum being more about slinging mud than clearing things up. When you sling mud it's pretty hard to get a clear picture of anything.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

The 25% for the first 6 weeks and 50% after that is old information. This was changed a while back to be just a flat 50% of the net profit for everyone. This means that after the truck rental, fuel, etc. you get the total amount of pay which is split between the two team drivers. If you have a $3,000 repair then that would mean you've probably messed up pretty bad and damaged the truck. However, that doesn't mean that you owe $3,000 right that moment. Part of being a member of the United Motor Carrier Cooperative is the ability to spread expenses like that out. They have a service called Fleet Protect that allows drivers to take big expenses like that and pay them off over time. Again, if it is something you do to damage the truck (e.g. it is your fault) then you're responsible for the expense, but if it is something that is regular maintenance, a defect, etc. then Direct Lease covers that cost. So to put that in a nutshell, if you don't wreck the truck then you have nothing to worry about.

Regarding the $6,500 tuition for the school, there is not a time limit on that. It should only take about 6 months to pay that off with the vocation payment program we have set up but if it takes longer you don't get slapped with a fee. There is an early termination fee if you skip out on your commitment, but that's not a late repayment fee. As long as you continue working with the four companies until the tuition is paid then you are not charged any penalty. The tuition can be paid through the vocation payment program, through cash, or through a third party lender. I really don't see how requiring someone to pay for their tuition is unreasonable. As for early termination fees for drivers, as long as you finish your initial 6 weeks and give 2 weeks notice of termination there is no penalty. We only charge fees when people breach their contract and we give people a very easy way to back out of the contract if they decide it's not for them.

For being called Trucker "Truth" there's been a lot of incorrect statements made about our program even since we've cleared up our website and made information more accessible via our website and youtube. All of the information about our system is on our website and youtube videos. Again, we are very clear in our pre-travel conversations that we only cover travel here, not travel home, we are clear that there is a contract to be signed, the minimum time you have to drive as a CDL driver, how to properly cancel the contract, etc. This system is not for everyone but for those who are willing to work hard it can be very rewarding. You get out of this what you put into it.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Regarding reimbursements for travel, please call in so that we can get the information we need to reimburse you. Saying "Reimburse me now" on a public forum does not give us any information we need to get the money to you. We can't send you money through this forum.

For those asking for information on how the four companies work together to provide all the services an owner operator needs, you can review our orientation videos here: https://youtu.be/t1qQawAfdaY?list=PLsaxzwdIP6h4DnlUfItlPYXTcs__UvtIk These are public videos, accessible to anyone, via Youtube.

The address is 1922 West 200 North, 140 S, Lindon, UT 84042. It's actually setup in Google to show the address if you search for us, the only problem is that they messed up on the name so it shows up when searching for Lobos Driving Academy instead of Lobos Interstate Services which is our actual name.

Here is our entire FAQ's page from our website: Do you have automatics or manuals?

Most of the trucks we work with are automatics.

Do you use paper or electronic logs?

We currently use paper logs

What happens if I don’t like my co-driver?

We do our best to place drivers together that we feel have a high probability of getting along and working well as a team, however, sometimes disagreements and issues can arise. We encourage our drivers to try to work things out but, in the event that you and your co-driver cannot work well together as a team, despite your best efforts, we will work on getting you both new co-drivers as quickly as is feasible.

What does a percent of the profit of the truck mean?

We take the total revenue of the truck, minus the truck’s expenses such as fuel, etc. and get the profit of the truck. The driver then makes 25% – 75% of that number depending on if they are an introductory, senior, or training driver.

What do you mean by owner operator?

We place most of our drivers with owner operators as co-drivers or set the driver up as an owner operator themselves. This means you will have your own, legal entity company that you own and drive for. However, our system is unique in that we handle all the hassles of setting up and maintaining that company for you. You worry about operating the truck, we take care of the rest!

How and when do I get paid?

Your settlement will be paid each week via an EFS card which is essentially an ATM card. You can use this card as an ATM card or setup direct deposit to your bank account through the card company.

Can I bring my spouse/pet/etc. with me on the truck?

No, unfortunately with a team driving arrangement there is not room for more people or pets in the truck. For solo drivers it may be an option but approval will be decided based on the situation and insurance requirements.

Do I have to sign a contract?

Yes you will have to sign a contract to work with our system. There will be contracts with Lobos as well as our sister companies Arrowhead and United Motor Carrier Cooperative. This covers your safety/compliance, dispatch, billing, factoring, accounting, and business services.

What if I want to stop working with you guys?

We require a minimum of 6 weeks working with us before a break of contract is allowed, however, after that time you can end the contract as long as at least 2 weeks notice is given. So, for example, you can drive for 6 weeks, then let us know before your 2 weeks home time that you do not wish to continue. This will ensure you do not incur an early termination fee and gives us time to make arrangements to replace you in the truck.

Will I really be able to make $1,200+ if I’m paying for all these services?

Yes, the income ranges quoted on the website are based on what you can expect to make AFTER expenses such as fuel, cost of services for dispatch, truck lease, etc.

Is this driving for a company or is it just O/O?

While it is an owner operator setup, the services we offer through Lobos and our sister companies combines many of the benefits you would see as a company driver with the income opportunities of an owner operator.

What if I get in an accident? How is that handled?

You are responsible for your actions behind the wheel, however, the trucks are insured and you will be working under your own LLC so your liability is limited. It would be much the same as if you were to get into an accident in your own car or a car you rent/lease. You will be responsible for deductibles but insurance is there to cover the rest.

I hope this answers some questions; I will post more information again when I have more time.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Just to touch on this briefly...

Regarding the man the poster took home, he had to leave due to ineligibility for a CDL through the DMV at the time. We wished him the best and he worked out a deal with the poster to get a ride home. Lobos was not involved with that at all.

Regarding reimbursing travel, we offer to purchase a bus ticket for travelers or we will reimburse up to the price of a bus ticket if the traveler wishes to fly or drive themselves out. The reimbursement is typically placed on their paycard which is issued shortly after the paperwork is completed (which includes the contract). That being said, it is difficult to reimburse someone via any method when they leave before you can do so. As of this posting, Lobos has no information on how to reimburse the poster other than perhaps mailing out a check to the address he gave on his paperwork. If the poster would like to contact us then perhaps we could do some other method.

As for being the worst experience of his life, I am a little confused. If driving over the interstate from New Hampshire to Utah, reading a contract and then going back on the road is the worst experience of his life, I think driving a semi over the road may not be the best life choice for this gentleman.

We recruit from all over the country and often our ad campaigns will run in certain regions for one week, then onto a different region the next week. We advertise through Craigslist, Indeed, Google, and other avenues so we reach a pretty wide demographic of people. We are one of the few places that will work with drivers who have little to no experience and with drivers who have a past criminal record so we also reach that group of people. Whether someone is from the east coast, the west coast, or anywhere in between or if they have thousands in the bank or pennies, it doesn't really impact us. We bring people out here to conduct business with us and if they decide to not follow through on that, then we wish them the best of luck and our business is concluded. We are very clear before we purchase a bus ticket or tell someone to drive out that we will only cover travel to the office and if they choose not to move forward then they will be responsible for their travel home. That's not a hidden "gotcha" clause or anything like that. We are happy to pay for someone to travel out and work with us but if they decide not to work with us then our business is done and we're not obligated to spend money on that person for anything. We are happy to give them a ride to the bus station or public transit system which will take them directly to the airport, but we're not going to pay for someone who is not doing business with us.

I would avoid this place altogether. This place sucks and in my opinion is a scam. I got to Lobo last week and did not sign the contract. I have 2 and 1/2 months of driving experience and I could have ruined my life signing that piece of **** 51 page contract that they hardly went over. The guy next to me signed it and I asked if he read all of it. I have to be carefull what I say on here because Lobo could sue me.

On Wednesday I left the building and took a 73 year old man home who was there for CDL training. He wanted to leave. He had no way to get home and thankfully i had my car and my taxes were returned to my bank the day i left. I drove my own car there and asked if I could get my travel reimbursments back. It hasn't happened yet. I spent approx $120.00 in fuel driving out and $110.00 in hotels.

Going to Lobo was the worst experience of my life. It might be yours too. At one point when I was low on cash before my taxes were returned I was close to signing it. What options did I have? Lobo wouldn't give me gas money to get back. From what it seems they take students who live a very long ways from SLC. I'm from New Hampshire, the man I drove home lives in Kentucky. Three other people I met were from new york, mississippi, and Kentucky. I belive i met a driver from north carolina. Doesn't that seem odd? To me it seems like they like taking people who need money fast and live a long ways away so backing out would be a $200-300 bus ticket or possible $500-1000 flight. Lobo... why didn't I meet any students or drivers from Utah or Idaho? There is a million things I want to say but I'm guessing your a pro af suing people. I'll use my words carefully Lobo.

If you do happen to look over the 51 page contract, i would advise you to have an attorney present. Do not skip anything and even if you don't have a dime to your name being homeless might be better than being with .......

Message to Lobo... where the **** is my travel reimbursement money? What do you have to say for the hardship you cause for many people? Why did I have to drive a 73 year old man home? What would have happened if he was left stranded? Why didnt you reiminbuse him in the office? What the heck are you? In my opinion things like you shouldn't exist and your a complete ****ing joke. I hope you go away and disappear.

I still want my travel reimbursements.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

So here's a question? Given the amount of conversations on here regarding lease purchase opportunities and the high rate of failure. What does your company do specifically to ensure the success of your lease operators? I know companies like Schneider and Dart actually offer classes to help L/O understand and manage their business to put them on a path to success.

On the lease length I'd have to get an answer from our sister company on how exactly that end of it works to give you specific details, but I do know that, assuming the school debt is paid in full, you can give 2 weeks notice of termination of the contract and that will allow you to exit the contract without any penalty. You're not stuck in a long-term lease or anything like that. Our payment plan is based on how much the graduate makes each week so the payments scale with their settlements (this is to ensure that if there is a bad week the graduate isn't stuck with a huge payment without much income for that week), but if a student is driving well and applying themselves they should be able to pay back the school within 5 - 8 months.

On ensuring success, we are always looking for ways to help our guys succeed. We don't have formalized classes for guys that are not performing well, but that is something we're looking into. As of right now, we do try to help those guys out, though. We bring them back through our office so that we can sit with them and go over anything they're just not understanding or that they need help with. We also try to match up drivers based on the need of the truck. So, if we know we have a guy that is not growing and performing as well as he should, we try to get a stronger driver in with him so they can learn good habits from their co-driver and hopefully catch on with what they need to do to succeed.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

So basically. Student signs up, gets CDL, gets 12 weeks ots talking, then forced into a lease.

Got it.

It's an overly simplified description, but it would be student signs up, student pays for school or enrolls in financing program, student gets CDL, gets 12 weeks OTR training, if they do our financing program then they sign on with a lease and full support services until they pay off the school.

Nothing is forced. Either you pay for the services you're receiving upfront via cash or through a loan or you defer the cost and work through our owner-operator system (which includes a truck lease and full support services such as dispatching, brokering, accounting, safety, compliance, etc.) to pay it over time out of your weekly settlements.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

And yes i pay very good attention to everybdetail to evoid being suckered by thieves!!! All the guys currently enrolled and staying in that apartment feel robbed and stuck some have no money to get home and some are stuck in that contract because they got swindled in.. one of the students there was calling his bank attempting to get the loan through them to get out of your 6500 fee.. if a man cant even look another man in the eyes and tell him **** straight hr is a *****.....

Above quote written by Anthony M on page 4.

Do I have a comment? Anthony's comment stands on it's own.

The fact that the comment you quoted is barely legible English aside, it doesn't have anything to do with the comment that was just posted and addressed. Anthony M's comment was also from over 3 months ago and doesn't even say what we supposedly did wrong to cause this reaction. reposting that comment in response to what the thread is discussing now is just trolling.

At any rate, our website is very clear about what you can expect and what you will receive if you go through our program. It has been overhauled and updated since this thread was started to remove any confusing wording and has everything you need to know about the CDL program.

Wildhorsewrangler wrote this about Lobos:

It was not promised as advertised like for instance : Class room instructions , no certified instructor or instructors , it all self taught. They give you a CDL manual to study with that's all you get then after you pass the written exam you wait fourteen days. Then you go with a non certified instructor to learn the basic of backing up, offset backing, and parallel parking after that then go to the DOT test site and take their test. The first time I went I failed because wasn't properly taught those maneuvers the only thing that passed was my pretrip inspection. Now since passed everything this past Friday they want me to become a owner operator. How can I find a company that will help me with my advance training that I can trust? Please point me in the right direction.

I copied this from the diary forum and pasted to the Lobos thread...the saga continues.

1. We do not advertise nor do we claim to have certified instructors of any kind. We advertise that we have an instructor with his CDL who will prepare you to take the CDL driving test in our truck and we will pay for the test fees. We are a course designed to help you obtain your CDL and on the road training to get you started with a CDL career. We give students the tools they need to succeed, but the student must do the work.

2. It is made very clear before a ticket is purchased for the student to travel out to our school that the written test preparation is largely self-study though we do have an instructor available to help with questions and parts where the student might be confused. Once they pass their written test, the DMV has a mandatory 2 week waiting period before the student can take their driving test. During that 2 weeks the student works with our instructor to prepare for that test and they have virtually unlimited practice time in our truck.

3. I see this is one of the students who just passed the first portion of their course and are going into the second portion (12 weeks of on the road training). I can tell you right now that they are not being made an owner operator at this point. They are in 12 weeks of hands on training with another driver working with us and our sister companies. Since they are going through our Vocation Payment Program they will be LATER set up as an owner operator utilizing the services of Lobos and our sister companies once their 12 weeks of training is over. This program delays their tuition costs so they haven't paid a dime on any of the services, food, lodging, travel, etc. they've received thus far. When they start making money through our owner-operator services then a portion of their weekly settlement will be applied towards their tuition and once that tuition is paid then their contract is fulfilled and they are free to pursue whatever path they wish.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Thank you to everyone who has provided constructive criticism and feedback. I've made some immediate changes to the site based on comments made today that should provide some additional details, make some sections less ambiguous, and removes some wording that may have been misleading.

The site needs more updates but hopefully this should help in the interim. I really have wanted to completely remake the website for a while from the ground up with my own wording but unfortunately my other responsibilities at the office have kept me from being able to do so. I've really only had time to edit and add to existing content that was here before I started. I look forward, however, to presenting something completely redone by the new year that will be much better. I really appreciate, again, everyone's suggestions and input.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Lobos A has made the following request:

Again, if I could get some constructive feedback on the website with questions you'd like to see answered on the site please let me know. From what I could gather from this last round of... colorful responses, you'd like to see more information about the contracts. Are there any specific points on that which you would like to see? Do you have any other questions you'd like to see answered on the website?

OK constructive. My previous background was in IT, transportation automation so I think I can speak from some level of experience.

What puzzles me after a cursory review of your website is if you employ professional drivers with experience (by definition over 1 year, your trainers), then why are you asking us to assist you with this (for free I might add)? With that said are you a former or current driver? Do you work with a content advisor who either was or is a professional driver? Honestly your website doesn't reflect either of those things. So right from the start, it lacks a professional driver's perspective and is far too "marketing-centric". Your audience is truck drivers, not professional business people. If you haven't already you should consider hiring a competent content advisor, even if on a consulting basis and be willing to pay for it. They are out there...google it or go into Dice.com.

I have about an hour of free time before I must get rolling so I will attempt to provide some examples of where I see deficiencies and suggested content modification. I will try to be straight with you, but make no mistake, I am only doing this to help current and future student drivers who visit this forum.

I'm asking for feedback as it was this forum that made the complaints about our website. This thread has been full of criticism but a lot of it is constructive. The audience here wants our site to be more informative so I'm asking what do you guys want to see.

My personal background is in social media management, PR, marketing, and project management. However, the content of the website is reviewed and monitored by people within the company who do have several years (over 9) of experience behind the wheel of a semi. I have been given recommendations from them on what content to post. That being said, it obviously is not as inclusive or clear as the population of drivers on this forum would like. So, that is why I am asking what would you guys like to see on the site to feel like things are presented in a way that everyone in this demographic will be able to understand and follow in order to know what they're getting into. The goal of this forum is to help drivers get the most accurate information on elements of the trucking industry; my goal is to recruit drivers and students to work with us. Those two goals are not mutually exclusive. Having the information presented in the way this group of people would like makes things more accurate and clear and in doing so, it helps us avoid situations where we're paying out money for guys to drive for us only to have them decline and leave which wastes our time and resources.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

What about my question? Do you let drivers train after only six weeks, as your website claims? If so, what leads you to think that's in any way safe?

Sorry, I missed that one. Yes, you can become a trainer after 6 weeks IF you're coming in with your CDL and your performance shows that you're able to handle being a trainer. Trainers are picked based on their performance, their experience level, and how well they are able to work with their co-drivers. So it's not like you come in, get your CDL, drive for 6 weeks and then boom you're a trainer.

RE: getting your license for free, there are options where you can have a company sponsor your training to where you would get your CDL for free. Here is what is listed on our website: "We also work with other carriers who are willing to take on and sponsor drivers who graduate with high performance from our school. If you qualify for this option and meet the carriers' requirements then you can get your CDL training for free!"

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

Our guys absolutely can make $1,200 a week right out of the gate. Once you go through the school, if you choose to work with us or finance your school through working with us after graduation (which is interest free by the way as it says on the website) then you start out at 50% of the profit of the truck each week. We had one of our students just make $1,500 last week and he's been graduated a grand total of 3 weeks.

The reason a couple of the numbers are different is because there's different levels of pay depending on if you're at 50% or 75% (as a trainer). One of our top trainers made $1,700 last week and he has been known to clear $2,200 when he's driving really hard.

Our system is setup so that you get out of it what you put into it. If you're with us to drive hard and apply yourself like the two guys I mentioned above, then you'll be very successful. If you're looking for a company to help you feel entitled to hand holding, babysitting, and all expenses paid trips then we're not for you.

While yes, we do have guys who come in to drive with us who do not have a lot of money, it is not our responsibility to help them manage their finances. When someone comes to our office on our dime we expect them to work with us and start driving. If they choose to not go with us then we're out the money we spent on them so we're not going to pay additional money because they didn't plan ahead.

Yes, we do require contracts and yes, that contract does mean that you're liable for your actions behind the wheel. If other companies can afford to reward their drivers for totaling their trucks by giving them new trucks and raises then that's great for them. We, on the other hand, go off of performance and not wrecking expensive equipment.

So yes, if you come out here without any kind of backup plan and you decide you don't want to sign a contract then you may be stuck in Utah. Again, we're not responsible for other people's personal finances. However, our contract allows drivers to back out of the arrangement after only 6 weeks. So, if you're not willing to give us a try for 6 weeks and you cannot afford a trip back home then please, do not apply.

Someone asked "What does financing the schooling and job placement have to do with each other?"

Here is that information right off our website: "Tuition Assistance Program We understand you probably don't have thousands of dollars saved up in the bank for CDL school. We offer a job placement program that allows you to attend our school with no upfront costs! After you complete your advanced skills training we will get you a job with one of our partner companies. You just have to commit to stay with that job for 6 months and your school tuition of $6,500 will be delayed until you start your job! Once you start your job, you will have the potential to make over $1,200 a week right out of graduation. We will work with you to setup a payment plan based on what you make each week so you never pay more than you can afford!"

Another question: "the average driver makes about $35,000 their first year in this industry. Your drivers are going to make double that?"

Absolutely. Again, you get out of it what you put into it so if you're driving well, getting good fuel economy, staying in route, and making appointments on time then yes, you can absolutely make between $45,000 - $65,000 a year ($1,200 - $1,700 per week with 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule).

Another question: ""you don't have to worry about finding a job after graduation" probably because you're requiring them to sign some sort of a lease agreement to lease on with your affiliate partners, correct?"

If they choose to work with us to pay off the school then yes, they will need to go through our Owner-Operator program. However, if they finance it themselves then there is no obligation. We had a student do that recently, actually. He paid for the school on his own and graduated without signing on for a lease contract or anything like that.

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

So, to briefly touch on John's comments. He arrived 2 days ago after having phone conversations with our recruiting staff about the program, about how owner operators work, and how there would be a contract he would need to sign. He was also given the website which has been updated with a lot more information (and I'm working on adding even more before the end of the year). So, let me address some gross exaggerations and untruths.

Apartments: We currently have 3 apartments, two are 3 bedrooms and one is 2 bedrooms. Each apartment has two people per bedroom and 1 person in the main room. So the max we have living in one apartment is 7, not 11.

Food: I've seen the receipts from the shopping trips for the school apartments and while it isn't gourmet 5 course meals, it's not devoid of nutritional value either. There's plenty of non-processed proteins and other non-junk foods.

Travel: It was explained over the phone before John came out that we do not cover return travel. We're not a travel agency, we don't pay for vacation trips to Utah, and that was explained. John was brought out to start a job and he chose to not go through with it and we parted ways. We did provide him with room and board while he was here and we took him to the station when we parted ways. It should really be understood here that we are out a not insignificant amount of money because John chose to not go forward with our job opportunity so it did not benefit us in any way to have him leave.

Contracts: We do require a contract to work with us. These contracts do bind the driver to LIMITED financial responsibility for the truck that they are leasing. Just like if you were to drive as a company driver, you're still going to be responsible for your actions while you're behind the wheel. John was convinced that he would be charged the full price of the truck if anything happened despite our assurances that this wasn't the case. Things like that are why insurance exists. The trucks are insured for cases where something does happen to protect everyone involved from financial liability. Owner-operators are also set up as a LLC which, again, has LIMITED LIABILITY. For whatever reason no amount of conversation would convince him that nobody would be coming after his house and possessions if he got into a wreck in the truck. Regarding multiple contracts, we do have sister companies that operate in the same building that provide leasing services, dispatch services, and billing/accounting services. The whole system is designed to give drivers the benefits of working for a big trucking company, while making the income and having the freedom of an owner-operator. Payments, splitting the profit of the truck, how expenses play into that, etc. were all discussed on the phone.

School Trucks: I'm not certain that I'd call a 2015 automatic Peterbilt a horrid rig... We do have a dirt lot with cones where we have the students do a lot of their practicing and yes, they do have practice time on their own. However they also have plenty of time with the instructor who has had his CDL for more than 6 months.

So, I hope that helps clear up some exaggerations and false information. Unfortunately this kind of thing does happen when some people don't listen to everything and get upset when you don't tell them everything they want to hear.

On a side note, I am looking for more input on our website lobosinterstate.com. I'm wondering if there is anything that is not on there that you guys think we should have or if something isn't clear that could be explained better?

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

No what you are doing is not telling people so they get to Utah and when they don't sign they have to pay their own ride home... And that's shady...

As you just pointed out, WE pay for them to get to our office. WE pay that. It's not in our best interests to mislead people to come out here and then have them not go with us. That costs us money. There is this misconception here that we somehow intentionally "spring" things on people for some kind of laugh. The fact is that most people that come out understand what is going on and they get here with a solid concept of what to expect and they go out and make good money. Some people take some extra consideration and explanation. That is why we've started putting things in written form and we have new drivers and students sign these documents before they come out stating that they understand what has been laid out in the document and that is what they can expect. That holds both of us accountable.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Anyone heard of Lobos Interstate Services?

That's why I answered Tony the way I did. There are certain details in his complaint that do match up with Lobo's published teaching plan, and several elements of ripping people off.

If Matt is a recruiter, and is not sure whether he discussed contracts and leasing with a candidate (or a mark!), Matt is way defficient in his scruples.

I have a lot of different phone calls every day and the conversation I had with Anthony was sometime in September. I don't recall every word I said to him on that phone call so, yes, it is possible I didn't use the word "contract" specifically. I don't know if you guys have tried to get jobs in other industries but they typically don't say things like "you're going to have to fill out a W4" or "you're going to need to sign a company policy contract" when you talk to them about the job on a phone interview because it's common knowledge that those things have to happen in order to start working. Would you call McDonald's shady because they don't tell their cooks they have to fill out a W4 on the phone?

It's not like we're throwing outrageous terms in the fine print of a contract and secretly putting the page in with other forms for the guys to sign. Everything is explained in great detail in our office before anything is signed. That's why we pay for travel to bring them out to our office if they are not in-state. We want to be able to sit down with them, in-person, to cover every little detail that is going on with our system and what they can expect out on the road. I would LOVE to be able to spend 2 hours with every single person that calls in about our opportunities going through our entire orientation process but, the fact of the matter, is that is just not practical. Like I mentioned in the post from yesterday, we are continually improving our processes to make things better. We're now doing checklists, summaries, etc. all written down and presented before anyone gets on a bus so they can know exactly what to expect. This came about because (and I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me) I will tell someone something explicitly on the phone and they say they were told something entirely different from what I said three days later. So, in order to combat that kind of issue, we're not only going over things on the phone but we're doing the written summary of the phone conversation and having them sign that paper to show that they understand everything.

My goal is to eliminate all confusion out of the recruiting process without spending 2 hours on every potential phone call that comes into the office. I will fully admit that things were confusing when I first started with the company 5 months ago and I thank Brett for bringing some things to my attention as well that I've been able to correct. It's an ongoing process, though, and I'm working on it every day. There are some things that you would think are a given (like the fact that you have to sign a contract and paperwork before taking out a very expensive truck) that I've had to spell out for people before. I'll fully admit that it's been a learning process for me, but I think things are significantly better now than when I started and I will continue to improve things as time goes on.

I'm sorry, but I am not going to address Brett's post as I've already explained a lot of that. I've already explained that our marketing is designed to have people call in so that all questions can be asked and things can be explained and proper expectations can be set. In the past the proper expectations haven't always been set; most drivers get it and understand but there are a few, like Anthony, that don't and that's why we've been improving out processes and sending out a lot of the information in writing before we book people's travel. I know videos are being worked on as well by another person I work with to explain everything in video form as well. I'm sorry our entire orientation process isn't on the website, but, as I've said many many times here, anyone can call us and we'll be happy to explain things and answer any questions.