Comments By Nolaman

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0026499001521759924-43467.jpg avatar
  • Nolaman
  • Comments:

Big Scott is now on the air.

Big Scott... you ought give your truck number as well since it's larger and easier to see, especially while driving. -Done Gone

Three TTers meet at the same time.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world.... those who are good at math, and those who aren't!! haha. rofl-1.gif It was a nice day. Nice to have met Errol and you. Good luck with CFI and in your driving career. BTW... Blueberry muffins ARE good!! Be safe.

Paying Dues: Enduring "The Suck"

I was saddled with a Trainer, who is Rude, has less knowledge than me, & is your steriotypical "Super Trucker"

If you're at C.C., I was there too. I was a much better driver than my trainer, and he asked me to teach him how to back!! I knew I had to spend just a few weeks with him, and I ended spending several months with him because, as bad of a driver as he was, he was not too difficult to get along with, and he was clean and he was neat. I did start training new guys later for the $300 training bonus, and most of the people were just fine. I didn't care for one, but, as I said, it's just for a few weeks. C.C. is a way to open doors for you into other companies. Believe me, they did so for me. A lot of companies that told me no before I went to C.C. told me yes after 6 months at C.C. As you said "dues must be paid", and they will be, and they will be worth it!!

Carolina Cargo....yes or no

Tyler... Good Luck. C.C. gave me a chance, and I actually loved working there. If you've been there, you know the good and bad things about C.C., but I'll tell you that working there gave me a lot of experience quickly. I worked harder there, and I had to do more weighing and tandem sliding than I can remember, but I got a lot of good experience. I believe I got years of experience in just one year with C.C. When I moved to another company, people would say things like, just wait till you go here or there, or have to do this or that, and I had already been to those places, and done those things, because I worked for C.C. Anyhow, as you said... dues must be paid. They gave me a chance, experience, and opened doors for me. I am also very thankful for Carolina Cargo, and I keep in touch with several people whom I became friends with there. Tell Samantha, Curtis, Jeff, Leah, Wendy and Corey that Tony says hello and that he misses them!! --Done Gone

Carolina Cargo... Door Opener... Good Job...

That goes to prove that the TT theory about how the name on the side of the trucks doesn't matter. If you have what it takes to do this job, you can be successful anywhere.

I know CC is generally known for accepting drivers that other companies won't or can't. It's good to know they're an OK place to work. Thanks for sharing.

I truly enjoyed working at CC. I was and am very thankful for CC. The dispatchers knew me by name, and after they got to know me, joked around with me and cared about me as a person. I was constantly rolling, and they thanked me often for my efforts. Their name causes people to look down on the drivers, but I believe I could have gone up against anyone in so many areas of driver responsibilities and skills. Some of the "docks" we had to dock to were in muddy fields and spots where a 53' trailer couldn't fit without the driver being "creative". I would put my backing skills up against anyone. I've had drivers with 20 and 30 years of experience who didn't realize that I was a new driver at the time tell me how impressed they were with my backing skills. We'd have to make 5 pick ups. It was our responsibility to schedule, coordinate, and make them. We'd have to scale often, then maybe have the load reloaded or have some product removed because almost every broker used us to get every ounce they could on the trailer. Many times I had to have a couple of pallets removed because I was over 80,000 lbs!! In spite of the hard work, I LOVED it. It was a challenge. I knew some drivers made snide remarks about us, but I didn't care. They were not paying or providing money for me. Carolina Cargo was! I'd see other trucks that had lost control and ended up in the median or shoulder as I, a lowly Carolina Cargo driver, continued past them. Bottom line is... You're correct... anyone can succeed irrgardless of the name on the door IF the driver fits there, has a good attitude, and put forth the effort. "Gratitude is an attitude, and attitude is everything."

Does anyone have about CFI & Western Express

I drive for CFI. I don't know how the school training is done, but I spoke with students who said they stayed in a different place than the LaQuinta hotel in Joplin where the new recruits are while going through orientation. The hotel is very nice, and the breakfast is VERY good, with coffee available 24 hours a day. They pay only $25/day for orientation, but it's worth it as it's only for 4-5 days, then you get your truck and first load that does show up on the next check. However, they are changing from weekly pay to pay every 2 weeks in March 2017...something I'm NOT looking forward to. The students I spoke with said it's not as nice there as the LaQuinta, and that it's boring there with not much to do on the weekends. The only student I spoke with at length said she rented a car from time to time to get places, and that the school isn't in Joplin. She also mentioned that after you graduate that you have to go home to your state to obtain your license!!

Carolina Cargo... Door Opener... Good Job...

Big Scott... I did respond to the email address you gave. I gave you my contact information.

Carolina Cargo... Door Opener... Good Job...

Hi Susan. I truly enjoyed Carolina Cargo. One has to do so much there, and go anywhere. Deals with brokers, driver managers, other drivers, time management, etc... Actually, the training, situations, trips, etc... at C.C. caused me to be a much better driver than people I've met who have the same experience as I, but I've seen a lot more situations than they have. When I posted my first post about C.C., Brett actually responded by saying I have already learned an important asset...ATTITUDE!! He said I'd be successful anywhere with a great attitude. I try daily to have the best attitude of anyone I may meet. I LOVE driving, and I'm at a good company, but it was more like family at C.C., whereas it's more like a job here. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it's just different. That, plus the fact that I have a sincere appreciation for the opportunity C.C. gave me, and I am a very loyal person. I feel a sense of loyalty to them. They are a good company, and they do NOT cheat drivers.

Carolina Cargo... Door Opener... Good Job...

I worked for Carolina Cargo for almost a year before I had to move to a company that could guarantee me home by certain dates... (legal reasons). I really liked it there, and I miss C.C. Being a team driver company, it wasn't easy for them to get me home when I was required to be, so I had to leave and get a job with a company that guarantees home by a required date. I won't say the name of my new company, but they are large, solo driving, and let drivers take their trucks home. I NEVER worried about my truck at C.C., and it was often gone over with a fine tooth comb by the mechanics, as required by Randolph. I am always having problems at my new "better" company. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in a hotel room as I type this because of truck problems... again! If you find yourself "having" to go to C.C., just have a good attitude, apply yourself, drive, prove yourself responsible and dependable, and appreciate the opportunity. The "terminal" sucks, and there is no shower or driver lounge. One warning... the 1st month is the toughest to make it through financially. They pay per trip, and it takes 3 "legs" to make a trip, so you will need to squeeze every penny for the first month. Try to have a couple of hundred bucks on you if at all possible, even if you have to borrow it until you get rolling. After that, you'll be just fine. They pay little, but there are bonuses and incentives that will raise your pay considerably. Actually, I'm not making much more here than I was at C.C. It doesn't matter how much you get per mile if the miles aren't there! Anyhow, I really enjoyed C.C., and I keep in touch with them as I made a lot of friends there, both with other drivers, and with the office people. It was like family there. It's a job here.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

CDL graduate

G-Town.... very kind answer. I would say Swift and Carolina are more like oranges and melons...very different. Carolina does offer solo driving after 6 months, but orientation and training are very different. One could be trained by another driver with only 5000 miles of training himself. I was already better at backing fresh out of school than was my trainer!! Carolina has only one terminal, and it is more of a repair shop/office. There is no place for drivers to relax except 2 very worn out couches. Carolina drivers sleep in their trucks while their truck is being worked on, or awaiting a load. Carolina is small enough that you'll know everyone soon, but too small to have any frills. -Done Gone

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Glourious Carolina Cargo!

Mcchuckles...... update please.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Carolina Cargo - Attitude - It is what you want it to be!

DSTURBD, I've only now (09/26!) seen your response. Good luck with Stephens.... I hope all is going well. Actually, I met a Stephens driver in Nogales, AZ. Parking being what it is there, and produce making it through customs caused us both concern for our 14 hour clocks. We hung out together, and worked together at the best approaches to our individual situations if we both faced the worst circumstances. Luckily, we each got lucky and were gone the following day. He was a good guy. He liked his job there, and I hope you do as well. I have really enjoyed working at Carolina Cargo, and coming to this company has been a good decision for my situation. The only issue I have had the last 9 months is getting home when I request. This is a small company, and I (patting myself on the back) am a very good, reliable and dependable driver, and I think they run me until they absolutely have to let me go home. I have been offered jobs from other companies, and I've stayed with Carolina until now, but I am considering a move. This isn't because of any problem with Carolina, but I've reached the top of their pay scale, and getting home is difficult. Carolina has been a blessing to me, and a door opener for me. I FULLY RECOMMEND Carolina Cargo to anyone having trouble finding a driving job, especially if already living near Rock Hill, S.C. I love and appreciate that company, and I am thankful for them, and I love driving.

Carolina Cargo - Attitude - It is what you want it to be!

OK.... it's been a few months. I have a handle now, it's "Done Gone". I met a lady driver who called herself "Gotta' Go", and I told her "Too late, I've done gone", and it became my handle. Anyhow, time to update you on my Carolina Cargo experience... I've been with Carolina Cargo for just over 6 months. I went from .10 to .12 to .14 to .16/mile. I got the raises every other month. I do get paid .16 for every mile the truck is driven, plus the bonuses I mentioned originally. I just received a 6 month bonus of $1000! I've been all over the country. I still LOVE driving, and Carolina Cargo. The driver managers are so nice. They try to keep me rolling continually. They still thank me for my efforts, and treat me with respect. The service dept. keeps my truck in great repair. The company everyone told me to stay away from turned out to be a blessing. I'm getting experience. The driver managers found that they can depend on me, and they keep me running. Everything's going fine, and I am very happy here.

What's a good company to start out with?

Brandon..... BTW.......Sincerely, thank you so much for your service. I did see several videos on YouTube by an ex-military man who started with Maverick, and he seemed to be getting good training.

What's a good company to start out with?

Brandon, Do you have any idea what you want to do? Tanker? Flatbed, Reefer? OTR? Regional? Dedicated? Take a look at the articles Big Scott recommended. My only advice is this... in almost all cases, it's you and your attitude that matters more than the company!! If you're a good, safe driver with a great attitude, you'll do great wherever you decide to work. The patient, safe, cooperative, good drivers rise to the top of the miles driven at every company... it's not coincidence!! -Done Gone

Carolina Cargo....yes or no

I heard horrible things about Carolina Cargo as well, but I had only a couple of other options, and I decided that C.C. was the "best of the worst" options. I am so glad I went to C.C.!! They must have realized they were getting a bad reputation, even among people with few options, and changed a few policies because I find the pay, treatment, equipment to be just fine. Granted, this is my 1st trucking job, and I have nothing to compare them to, but the only negatives I've found is I can't take my 2015 Pete home for breaks, and I have to drive to and from my home 700 miles from their terminal. It's worth it for $800-$1000/week! Just don't be lazy, want to drive a lot of miles, be able to handle being constantly on the road, have a co-driver for 6 months (then you have an option to go solo), and, most importantly...have a great attitude. Be grateful for a well paying, secure job, and act like it! You'll be amazed at how much you'll be driving and how much money you'll make. I LOVE DRIVING!! (Disclaimer-I am older, single w/a girlfriend who supports and encourages me. If I were married, younger, and/or had children at home, I'm not sure I could do this because of all the time spent away from home) I encourage you to NOT let others put false fears in your mind. Carolina Cargo is a 2nd chance company...take advantage of the opportunity at a 2nd chance. Again, be grateful (gratitude is an attitude). Be positive.

Carolina Cargo - Attitude - It is what you want it to be!

I started with Carolina Cargo when no one else would hire me because of my past. I drove my car there Monday of Thanksgiving week 2015, and I stayed at the Motel 6. Monday was paperwork and a urine test. They took care of "breakfast" at the hotel, and lunch was pizza at the terminal as it was the following day. Tuesday was verbal instruction on DOT regulations, and company procedures, what is expected of us, and pay scale and procedures. (Note: I am new to trucking and this is my 1st trucking job)

I was actually in a truck and driving Tuesday night! I have a co-driver, and we get along well (I am told this is a blessing, and I believe it is) We have a 2015 Peterbilt w/an APU! We drive all over the country, and we are both anxious to make miles, so things are going well. I started at .10cents per mile, BUT...I get bonuses for on time deliveries, mileage bonuses, and raises!!

I got a .02cents raise/mile, and expect 3 more .02cent/mile raises by the end of the year! I get paid if I or he is driving! I have the option of going solo after 6 months, but I got a taste of solo driving because my co-driver went on vacation, and I must say that I HATED IT! Spending so much time sitting and waiting on time to allow me to drive again was aggravating.

I like the wheels always turning. I like the idea of making money whenever the wheels are turning> sure, I get paid twice as much as a solo driver, but I spend too much time sitting. I don't like sitting still so much. Carolina Cargo will keep you moving if you want to. They have a lot of miles for anyone who wants them, and I want them. I LOVE DRIVING!! Everything about it... interstate, city, back roads, especially difficult backing (I like challenges).

It takes a while to get used to life on the road, but not being lazy, accepting situations, and being motivated to make miles makes it easier. We communicate with dispatch via e-mail. I like verbal communication, so this is a difficult part of the job for me, but attitude is a major thing--have a great attitude, and you'll do great! Once dispatch knows you are dependable, they will have you driving all the time!! This is what I've experienced. IF THEY LEARN THEY CAN DEPEND ON YOU, YOU CAN DEPEND ON THEM TO KEEP YOU ROLLING!!

Pay works like this... they keep a check "in the hole". Your 1st check will be $300 minus taxes after your first 3 turns. (This comes from your orientation pay) It takes 3 turns to make a trip. A turn is dropping or picking up. Basically, 5000 miles. You should make this weekly! 5000 miles equals $500. But wait, you were on time, so you make more money! But wait, you did well with your mileage (MPG), and you get another bonus!! (trucks are governed at 65mph, so good mileage is easy) What was a $500 trip becomes a $1000 trip! They figure your pay minus your $59/day per diem, so your net pay is much better. (this is something you must consider if you don't have good years paying into social security and are planning to rely on S.S., then you may may want to leave C.C. after you have experience and can)

There are bonuses at certain mileage levels accomplished, and time spend with company. You can get advances. They do cover fuel, repairs, tolls, etc... You shouldn't have to come out of pocket for anything except food. They use Love's for fuel, but you'll learn to use Love's for fuel, free food, and showers, and others who are much more driver friendly in terms of amenities when you're stuck for any amount of time. Vacations are unpaid! Time off is unpaid! "If the wheels aren't turning, you aren't earning", but they are so flexible if you want time off, and I like that.

I LOVE THIS COMPANY and JOB!! They gave me opportunity when no one else would. They pay me well. They thank me all the time for my work and service. They never bother me (I hated the micromanagement at my last job) They gave me a raise, with more to come, and make me feel appreciated. I have been approached by USA and ConWay since starting here, but I like it here.

There are negatives... the "terminal" is terrible and in the middle of nowhere, no paid time off, they use Love's, you have to follow the fuel route they give you, you have to get there on your own, you have to get home and back on your own (but they'll let you get off and on while your co-driver is driving if you cooridinate with them in advance), they expect you to drive a lot, it's hard to be off on the exact date you aim for.

I listen to drivers from other companies complain about their companies, and I have come to realize that they're all about the same. The difference seems to be the attitude of the driver. I am considered to be at a "terrible company", and I think it's great! I have heard drivers from "great companies" complain about how terrible their company is. I don't have much experience, but I plan to stay here at least 6-12 months. I have met drivers who left but came back because they didn't make the miles or money promised by other companies.

Gratitude is an attitude! Have a great attitude, and this will be a great job with a great company! I realize I am a rookie, and "green". Please take into consideration my inexperience, but also realize that I am not a younger man, and I have much life experience. Carolina Cargo has a new pay structure, is buying new trucks, and has good incentives. -Tony