Comments By SouthernJourneyman

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Swamprat1979/23151729549_14c85b6ab3_o_zps0jfzuizg.jpg avatar

Posted:  6 years ago

Buying a C.B. radio

I use a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Very happy with it and does everything you need. Love's had the on sale usually. Got mine it was on sale plus a $20 mail in rebate that I need to send off.

Something to keep in mind. All CB radios are limited to 4 watts. So you're only paying for better features and better components when you get a more expensive radio. And some of those features do come in handy like being able to control RF gain and such.

Posted:  6 years ago

Does Having An APU/EPU Really Matter?

1- yes I have APU. And I love it. Having the APU allows for a refrigerator instead of an electric cooler. All trucks also have the 1500w inverter. So I can cook and stuff without running the engine. Not sure that I would go with a company OTR and not have APU.

2- Melton really pushes for us to idle as little as possible. Also the trucks shut down after a bit. I think it may be 5 minutes of idle before it shuts down. Which only applies if you are in neutral and brakes are set. But if your APU is broke down you can idle if needed. I believe as long as you don't set the truck brake it will run longer. Not to sure about that though.

3- Our MPG is calculated on a 90-day average. So you have to do pretty bad before you are penalized. I'm not sure exactly what the penalty is though. Apparently I left the paper at home. I do know we are supposed to keep mileage above 6.0mpg average. So you'd have to do pretty bad to be lower this that over 90 days. For keeping it at 6.8 and higher we do get a mileage bonus. Starting at 6.8 you get $0.01 with another cent for each tenth.

I can't remember how much fuel the APU saves but it is a significant amount. I'll give an example. When I took my home time for Christmas I parked the truck Thursday night. It stayed parked until Sunday morning the following week. So 10 day with the APU cycling on and off. When I parked the fuel gauge showed just barely touching the 1/2 mark. When I left it was sitting pretty much on the mark.

Probably would have used less if I had turned the climate control off, then it only turns on to keep the batteries charges. But my kids wanted to camp out in the truck every night.

Posted:  6 years ago

Downshifting

Thank you G-Town. Completely agree with your post. While skipping a gear may be necessary at times, there is a reason for 1-1 downshifting. Remember you are using the engine to slow the truck down. I barely use my breaks until coming to a complete stop. Slowing down enough to skip several gears at once puts a lot of wear on the brakes and you have very little engine torque to help.

Posted:  6 years ago

Dear Indiana congressmen...

You ain't kidding. Thought I-94 was gonna send me off the road earlier today. These roads are rough even for a former log hauler.

Posted:  6 years ago

Simple Redneck Pleasures

Andrew- you may want to start your own thread with your question. May get a faster answer instead of resurrecting a 2 year old thread.

Posted:  6 years ago

Downshifting

I find that in the 2015-16 freightliner cascadia, it downshifts best around 1500 rpm

You sure about that? Cascadia I drove was limited and would barely hit 1500. Should be downshifting closer to 1000-1200 at the most.

Posted:  6 years ago

2 questions

I'm sure it would be ok. They make electric skillets and lunchbox heaters that will hit 300* to plug into the 12v outlet. Can't imagine an air purifier drawing more power than those.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Trucking school starts in less than 8 hours...

Just do whatever you do to relax. Stay positive. You've got this. In a few months you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Melton Trucking

As a Melton driver I have to call BS on this one. I have not seen this type of behavior from anyone at the company and all drivers I have spoken with love it here with one exception. And he's one of those that got into trucking without any knowledge of how the industry works, such as home time and all that. When I went through orientation the instructors were very professional. Yes they were conducting and 8 day interview and watching everything, but they were trying to help us succeed. Even had one guy they sent home because of falsified info. The guy left cussing and yelling acting like an idiot but they still extended professional courtesy. One guy voluntarily left, said he would fail the drug test. Guess what, they bought his bus ticket back home. In fact everyone that was sent home was provided a bus ticket on Melton's dime. When we were on the yard learning securement and tarping the instructors were very professional when they pointed out mistakes. They didn't criticize anyone or point fingers and laugh. And if anyone had trouble with anything, such as lifting a tarp up on the trailer they were good about showing us ways to get it up there, like rolling it up a v-board. Sounds like this guy probably went in with a serious attitude problem or something else and got sent home. Now he's all butthurt about it and wants to blame it all on Melton. Just like all the haters we get from Swift or Werner or any other company.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Help finding strap winder!

While I haven't used this one in particular I can comment on features that I do not like about it just from watching the video. Yes it does have a loop that allows it to hang on the rub rail, but without a screw to tighten it down it is going to move around while winding, I don't like that. I want it to be good and stable. The other thing is that I don't have to take my strap winder apart to pull the strap off. I wind it up and pull the strap right of the prongs, no problem. Also the cost. Even full price mine would have been right around $25. It's a fairly heavy gauge steel and unless I throw it down and start stomping on it I should have no trouble, or tighten it down to the point that that screw or nut strips out. But I don't do those things. I tend to take care of my equipment.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Help finding strap winder!

James you beat me to it. Another flaw I see in this design is there is no screw to tighten it in the rub rail. I imagine it rocks around pretty bad as a magnet doesn't do much good on an aluminum trailer.

Quick Question

As for the microwaveable stuff I haven't been in a truck stop yet that didn't have a microwave. Cup of noodles is easier than ramen since its self contained. I ate a lot of Bologna since my trainer had a fridge. Also tuna fish. You can go in the truck stop and get the little cardboard hotdog tray and fill it with onions, relish, mustard, mayo and mix with your tuna fish. There's also Vienna sausage, potty meat, spam and such. Find one of those glass storage bowls with the lid. Then you can buy cans of soup to microwave. Old trick, if you don't have access to microwave take the can of soup and put on the exhaust manifold when you leave in the morning. By lunchtime it will be piping hot. You can also wrap some foods in tinfoil and cook this way. Works kinda like a slow cooker.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Help finding strap winder!

Yeah it's the same one I've got. And you can get them cheaper at the terminal. I just forgot to pick one up while I was there. Been winding straps by hand the last couple weeks and that's no fun. Had thought about making my own but I had enough points on my Loves card that it didn't cost to much. Think it's like $25 or so

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Help finding strap winder!

Yeah I actually almost passed over it. But just got curious about what was in the little box. All you could see was the end of the boxes, no writing or anything visible until you actually pulled it from the shelf. Now I wonder just how many times I've walked past those.

Staying at a hotel

Yeah should have specified. Wouldn't want to climb up on a van. Lol

Staying at a hotel

As for the exercise, I like to walk the parking lot for at least 30 minutes a day or so. There are also tons of bodyweight exercises you can do, just be sure to get some sort of exercise mat. Even with that I prefer to exercise on the trailer if there is room. All sorts of nasty fluids on those parking lots. I've also been considering getting some of the resistance bands to work with. I really like kettlebell training, did that in the past a bit. But I don't want to carry to much weight on the truck either. So not real sure yet.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Help finding strap winder!

I looked for a couple weeks before finding one at Loves the other day. It was in a small rectangular white box on a bottom shelf near the straps.

It's a decent one, not like the crappy ones in the blister pack I've seen hanging on the rack.

You guys own a car?

If your just going to be gone a couple weeks at a time it won't be so bad. Just run it around when your home so you keep fresh gas in the fuel system. Also use an oil additive like Lucas. What it does is thicken the oil viscosity just enough that it will not all run down to the drain pan. That is what really wears an engine, almost like a dry start up. Keeping in garage will help keep the critters out but I would still put some traps out or get a cat. Mice can get in anywhere and for some reason love wire insulation. Also, wouldn't hurt to put in a quick disconnect on your battery or at least pull the positive lead. This will keep the battery from draining down. Since it will be in the garage leave the windows down just a bit to allow circulation. If it's gonna be more than a couple weeks you may want to think about putting it on jack stands. This will help save your tires. But unless it's gonna sit for a month or more or you have bias ply tires I wouldn't worry about it. (You have radials, just put that in there for other folks that may be reading).

You guys own a car?

If your going to keep it your wife needs to drive it once a week. Sitting is about the worst thing you can do to a vehicle. Gas will eventually varnish and bugger up the fuel system, tires start to dry rot, moisture finds a way to build up inside causing mold and mildew, oh and rats/mice/squirrels. Some sort of rodent is going to get in there and start chewing wires.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

In Cab cameras on the driver

SouthernJourneyman, just help me out here. Why would the camera need to be on focusing on the empty drivers seat when the truck is NOT moving? You say that it is to capture someone hitting your truck, ok, wouldn't you want the camera then to be facing outside, rather than on the empty drivers seat? I am all for outside facing cameras (dash cams) but see limited value in having the camera on the driver.

It is a single unit that has both an outward facing lens and an inward facing lens. They operate simultaneously. So you cannot turn off the one without turning off the entire unit.

Hope that explains a bit better.