Comments By Minnie Mouse

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/yellow-pete.jpg avatar

Pardon my venting on CDL applications......

In the last month I have put in more apps than I can count. I can understand being turned down for a job because I cant do it. But this week I was turned down for two one because my credit score was too low and the other was cause I'm female. They wasn't even bashful about it! We don't train women! All I want to do is drive! But because I don't have the money to pay for school on my own, able get my own loan or have a ***** I cant! I'm at my wits end. This shouldn't be this hard. wtf.gifwtf.gif

Got a pre hire now what

I dont qualify for the WIA program. According to them I make to much money. I have been turned down by a loan company. Im looking into other companies now I just liked what May offered and really wanted to go with them. Oh by the way Mickey is flat broke.

Got a pre hire now what

I got a pre hire from May Trucking. Now I need to come up with the money for the school. May doesn't pay for the school but will help me repay. any tips on where to go for the financial backing?

Posted:  9 years ago

My Swift Return Home

..Ok...so who told you that you failed your eval??? Because it sounds funny that you were told you failed, but they had it in their system that you passed...wtf-2.gif

It was my instructor that told me on the spot even signed the exit paper work saying that I didnt pass. It made me ask wtf.gif

I really do wander how long it would have to them to find out the truth had I got on the bus for the next part of the training. I'm sure it would have caught up with me real soon.

Posted:  9 years ago

My Swift Return Home

My adventure began at 515 pm Saturday evening. I get on the bus and head to Memphis to the Greyhound depot to go home. When I get there Tony ( class room instructor/bus driver) doesn't have a confirmation number for my bus ticket cuz they didn't order me one. So he tells me he will get me one within the hour. So I wait at greyhound for my ticket. An hour later I get my ticket to the wrong place. I get hold of Ms Betty she tries to get the right one but the system was closed for the day. So they put me up in the Clarion for the night. I get back to Greyhound this morning to get the next bus out and the system is still closed. When she gets the confirmation number its for the bus that leaves Monday 8 am. So she sends me back to the Clarion for the night.

Some how the system was saying I passed my eval and should be headed to my home terminal. That is why I got the wrong ticket to start with. Makes me asked the question What if I had got on the bus?

They keep apologizing about the mix up on my tickets. Truth be known I'm having a blast. Nice motel pool gym wifi and cable TV. I do have a room mate today. Later we are going out to eat Memphis BBQ.

Swift could have left me at Greyhound until my bus came in or just right out not care what happened to me. I'm not an employee at this time, just another student that says she will be back to try again. In my book Swift has treated me right and made up for the ticket problems. As soon as I can I will be back here to finish what I started.

Posted:  9 years ago

PSD and TNT during driving school: what do these mean?

I've seen where several people have mentioned PSD and TNT during the CDL training, but I'm unable to find out what these mean. I've done internet searches, but no luck. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

PSD is permitted student driver. TNT (I don't know what it stand for) it refers to the time when you are on the truck with the trainer after you have the "real" CDL in hand.

Swift Transport Training Academy

Minnie, you can do the same thing Pebbles (Juelma) did, she just went to another company school. The second time around she made it thru with flying colors.....Don't give up, if this is what you want to do...it will eat you up every time you see a semi heading down the hiway.... Whatever you decide, you will forever be a Asphalt Sister.....keep in touch with me.

Thanks I am looking into what I should do next. I may just get the money to come back to Swift. It will keep me from going any deeper in debit. I would really to find a company that pays during training. I have been a month with out a check and it sucks.

Sorry about the negative post early. I'm so mad at myself right now. Talked to a co-student he said I had it in the box twice and I pulled out. I couldn't see the cones to tell if I was in the box or not. I did the 90 with only one pull up. Grrrr I could kick my own butt if I could.

Swift Transport Training Academy

Thanks I will do that. I should be home Sunday. Going to see the kids and my dog and reintegrate. Im physical and mental done at this point.

Swift Transport Training Academy

I didn't make it. I miss my eval by 2 points. I can pay $750 for another week but I don't have it. So I will be on the greyhound tomorrow headed home to lick my wounds and face my kids. Thanks to all the has wish me well and giving me advice I thanks you so much and I will you all the best.

Hey Minnie..that is really a bummer..I know it's got to sting to get so close. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can pay $750 for another week? What do your instructors at Swift say? I know others who didn't pass on the first try and then got another chance to go again? Even if you can't stay right now, don't give up. Go home, spend some time with your family and don't think about this right now. In a week or two, give us a shout and let's get this ball rolling again.

I did the free week now I have to pay $750 towards my loan to go another week. The instructors said pay the money asap and come back soon so I don't forget what I learned. Right now I cant afford to keep this going I'm way deep in debt. Worst part is I have to pay Swift and not be able to drive.

Tonight's the night

So I do my eval tonight. I feel more confident then I did last week. Please wish me well cross fingers toes and eyes for me.

Swift Transport Training Academy

Fixing to take a nap before I go to the range tonight. I feel very confident about tonight. I was in the study/laundry room this morning going over the backing skills with some of the newer students, helping them has also is making it click more for me. I'm going to go in tonight with the can do this I got this attitude.

Swift Transport Training Academy

Well I have 24 hours off. The bus will be back until Monday night to take us to the range. I will have a eval on Wednesday or Thursday and will be able to do a re-eval on Friday. They was 13 of us that was rolled into the 3rd week. One went home due to the shed he backed into another became sick and went home.

The past week we had 57 students and 22 trucks. It was really hard to get drive time. This class is smaller around 30. So I should be able to get more time to drive. I have been over driving the truck now that I understand what I'm doing wrong I can get it in the box. I have to tweak it to limit the pull ups. I know if I can pass my eval I can pass the DVM. They make it harder so you can trifecta.

Wish me luck.

Swift Transport Training Academy

Hey, that's awesome news for you! Not so awesome for the "shed destroyer" guy.

Someone had just asked on another thread about the most common reasons people get sent home from these training program. I forgot to mention "running over a shed". rofl-3.gif

My instructor said a few weeks ago a guy thought he would do a u turn on the station that was set up for parallel parking. He got the trail hung up on a light pole when the truck stopped he pop it in 3 gear and hit the excelerator. The trailer was destroyed along with the pole and lights went out.

Swift Transport Training Academy

I had a really great day today. I got the 90 three times in a row! I have a new range instructor and he walked me thought it half a dozen times. He is a little bit on the drill sergeant side but what he said clicked. I only killed two cones today lol. I also found out that we can request the truck and "station" we want to do our eval. That will help also.

We did lose a classmate. He got the truck all jack up and hit a storage building. His spotter was jumping up and down yelling stop and he didn't. The trailer is damage the shed is scrap metal and he is on his way home via greyhound.

Swift Transport Training Academy

Well I didn't pass my eval so I get another week to work on them. I was told that I'm over driving the truck. So I worked on that for the remainder of the day. I understand what they are saying but putting it in to play is harder than it sounds. Wish me luck, cross your fingers, and send good happy vibes my way.good-luck-2.gif

Swift Transport Training Academy

Night backing you say?? We didn't have that at the Phoenix school. Would have liked to have had that training first.. lol

Night time makes it so different. We put our flashlights in the cones and hope we don't run over them. My room mate has killed about 12 of them. We also eval out at night if we don't make it we have a chance to redo it Friday during the day. I can get them in the daytime but once the sun goes down I'm lost.

Swift Transport Training Academy

I get into the truck every time I get a chance. Last night was bad. We was hit with a thunderstorm but we still worked on the range. It was a great time to find out my boots had holes in them but the rain suite worked great the rest of me was dry. My trainer said I'm doing great and I'm right on track. I do my eval to Wesday or Thursday. At least tonight its not raining dancing-dog.gif

Swift Transport Training Academy

On my 2nd week at the Swift Academy . We are working at night backing and its raining cats and dogs. i think I'm doing ok. we get evaluation Wednesday or Thursday if we don't pass we get a 2nd chance Friday if we can't do it by then we can stay another week. I'm puting in as much drive time to get the skills down. wish me luck ill keep you posted

Things are great

Hello to all. just a note to let you all know its going well. i don't have a internet connection so all i have is my phone. after the mess up with greyhound i got to millington tn after midnight Sunday night. but its all been great since! did backing today and will again rest of the week. let you all know more when i can get a wifi connection