Comments By Mark P.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig8.jpg avatar
  • Mark P.
  • Comments:

Black Ice... Update

So I finally got dispatched back to Prime in Springfield after running a load from Idaho to New York and then from New York to Kansas City. Now at the Campus Inn and scheduled to take a safety class tomorrow morning. And have been assigned a new (to me not to Prime) tractor. An International this time... Let you know what I think of it. So if any of you are in Springfield let me know!

I enjoyed my International when I drove @ swift.. I found it had a lot more room then the Volvo/Frieghtliner. My personal opinion...

Enjoy your rest.

Thanks! I have not driven one of the Volvos so can't comment there. I do find the International interior suits me better - dash layout, storage, etc. In fact like the exterior styling over the Cascadia as well. Just preference. This one has the Navistar motor and not the Maxxforce. I will see how it goes once I am pulling trailers with it.

Black Ice... Update

I gotta get my blood pressure down

Put down the salt shaker and grab the pepper sauce. Made a surprising difference for me.

Wal Mart Parking

I have always made a point of checking with store management in person at any Wal Mart where I parked overnight and certainly folllowed all of the rules of truck parking etiquette. But there will always be those rude ones. I am lucky to have a sympathetic Lowes manager at the store near my house so I always have a parking spot if I pass thru my home town with a load. Especially since the closest truck stop is 40 something miles from my house.

Wal Mart Parking

Mark, it might not be what you're thinking. It could be that Prime has had a lot of their equipment vandalized while parked at Walmart. I don't know what's going on but there could be a lot of different reasons. I remember Daniel B having his trailer "tagged" with spray paint while parked at a Walmart.

Guess I should elaborate that the message included the fact that a driver had been issued several hundred Dollars to get his truck out of impound. But good info - guess I have been lucky and only parked in relatively crime free areas.

There are some WMs because of local ordinances that prohibit overnight truck parking and also may have noise ordinances. Even though I run Walmart Deficated, I always inform the manager on duty that I am breaking in his lot.

Arg! I meant "dedicated". Auto fill, I hate it. Sorry, OMG! I will crawl into the closest hole now...

Really glad I didn't have a mouthful of food when I read that. I will never be able to look at a dedicated route the same way again.

Wal Mart Parking

Wal Mart Parking

Got a message on Qualcomm yesterday that no Prime trucks were allowed to park overnight in Wal Mart store parking lots effective immediately. Has anyone driving for other carriers heard anything similar? Or did Prime do something so awful that they were singled out...?

Just started training with Prime

Yes. I generally end up with a drop within 50 miles of home and bobtail to my driveway off duty.

Just started training with Prime

I leave for training at the end of this month. I'm sure I'll be posting more when I start. As if know I have a few questions for anyone that works with them.

1. How does home time work, I know they give you 1 day per week and you can go home for 4 days max. But when you go home do they try and give you a drop off near where you live and also do you get paid the miles it takes you to drive home?

2.When you first start training and orientation, and you complete the first 2-4weeks of non-paid training. When will you be allowed your first home time. Is it after you complete your 2-3 months of paid training and become a solo driver?

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to starting. Going to start reading up on study guides ASAP.

Hi Brian... Generally you get assigned a load as near as possible to your hometown and a place to drop the trailer. If you can park the truck at home so much the better. In the TNT phase home time really depends on your instructor's schedule. I got lucky and had a week at home during TNT since my instructor already had a family vacation planned. But you should plan on being out at least 6 weeks at first unless you have an instructor who is willing to drop you off near home before he takes a break. Odds are that won't happen since he gets more money more quickly for getting you trained and upgraded ASAP. Good luck!

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Hi folks... Back in phone territory again in South Bend IN. Still no word anything to be done by Prime as far as action or even getting the truck through Springfield for repair. Got a 2500 mile load as my next assignment so I am guessing I am not high on the priority list. I will have to get through Springfield before the 31st for permits etc so if anything more develops I will pass it along....

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

So the saga continues as I scratch my head. Shop foreman here in SLC says the truck needs to go to Freightliner for repair and am waiting for Prime's Road Assist folks to determine if I take it to their facility here or in Springfield MO. Fleet Manager says to let him know what RA decides. Still no word whatsoever as to any action to be taken in terms of going back to a training situation etc.

Sometimes no word is good. But if you are like me I wouldn't have any finger nails left as the unknowing would be eating me up. Been following this and hope things work out for you

Thanks friend. So far I have no word on when to go to Springfield, but am making a local delivery tomorrow morning here in SLC. And I have run out of fingernails to chew just fyi.

Trucker spouse normal or not

No. No. No. I would not give a stranger a ride even in a truck I owned. And would certainly never give the future Mrs any reason to doubt my fidelity. This all sounds "messed up" to put it politely.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

What to do/expect in a jacknife situation?

The school I attended didn't really say much about this topic and the company I hired on with doesn't have much of a training period...like 3 days to be exact. I've been driving alone for over 5 weeks now and just thought I should know something about this if/when the situation arises.

I can tell you from recent experience that you barely have time to react. Keep your feet off the pedals, keep a good grip on the wheel and don't overcorrect. You won't have time to steer much anyway. Once the trailer has met the tractor you're pretty much just waiting for the skid to stop. I saw another truck jacknife one day. Happened as fast as you could spin a toy truck sideways by hand. When in doubt about the road surface.... Slow down.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Are you leasing? I Mena hence the loaner truck?

Nope. Company. So it'll be another lightweight.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Hopefully it's the same, just have to redo the training. I've been in the ramada since Friday night just waiting on another trainer. Have to call my dispatcher tomorrow see if I need it for another night. Hope the guy is legit. Have to downsize my posessions.

If they have you redo training be sure to get a receipt for your load locks and tire chains. You turn them in at the gatehouse just make sure you get a name, signature and date. I had to press to get the signature and date, most of the people working in the terminal are pretty biased against drivers. I don't blame themthey deal with alot of negative people but they could be a bit more accommodating of you ask me.

Were you driving an International? Think I saw it. My future Mrs is riding with me so no idea how that might affect things. I feel in Limbo here. No word from any level, but it takes an act of God to get my FM to communicate.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

So far very little to tell. Didn't have to pee in a cup when I came in the gate, dropped my trailer and talked to the shop foreman who says they will look at my truck in the morning. Probably will have to go to the Freightliner dealer he says. Also told me I would be set up with a loaner truck. No word at all from my Fleet Manager or Safety or anyone else.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

And just arrived at the SLC terminal. So I will share what goes on next.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Whether or not you go back out for training, you learned a hard lesson and didn't get yourself or anyone else hurt which is a good thing. One simple piece of advice regarding the weather, keep an eye on the thermometer, I'm being your truck has one. You mentioned it was windy which drives the temperature down and will speed up ice formation. Even though it might have been above freezing, it's still possible so if that temp drops below 40 and that wind is kicking up, be on the lookout.

Appreciate the tip. Lived in MI growing up bit been in GA for over 30 years now so that one would be good to remember. Do have a thermometer on the dash. It was reading 32 when other vehicles were still kicking up water spray. Not sure if that is an accuracy issue or there was already treatment on that bit of road.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

A clarification:

I meant that in regards to whatever action is taken by Prime!

Yeah, you don't have much control there. But remember Second Chance talked his way back into a job!

Headed towards the SLC terminal. I have a feeling I will learn what my fate is once I arrive. Spoke to my former Trainer and he said he would be glad to take me back out if they put me back in training. I am not feeling like I will be out on my backside. Just hope that whatever happens the accident goes down as unavoidable. The Oregon State Trooper who wrote it up certainly did not hold me to blame. And to further clarify - I am immensely respectful of the potential danger my truck poses to myself and anyone else on the road. I take safe driving very seriously. I was down to +/- 30mph when I hit the ice and trying to slow further. But we all will never stop learning if we know what's good for us.