Comments By Mark P.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig8.jpg avatar
  • Mark P.
  • Comments:

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Mark P. philosophises:

Whatever happens, happens.

Don't let this happen to you. It's true anyone can end up on the wrong end of an accident or unexpected event. Ask "Sully" Sullenberger the airline pilot with 29 years commercial experience who had to land in the Hudson River in 2009.

But you should do your best to learn to anticipate anything that may happen while you drive. Mark, I'm not knocking you, because I know after this you will be an expert on anticipating black ice situations. But "whatever happens, happens" is not an attitude to take as a person responsible for 80,000 pounds of metal and freight rolling down any highway.

I meant that in regards to whatever action is taken by Prime!

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

They towed me into SLC and told me I have to do the TNT training again.

Did you have winter driving training on your original TNT phase?

So first time down cabbage patch

Yeah I feel like they won't though. From the way it sounds like there was you, I and another driver all had no other vehicles involved. My fleet manager told me they are not in the business of firing people. I truly wish I could of done something different though I'm not sure what. Basically I learned not to go down the road empty until I see rocks on the road.

What's it like having a Fleet Manager that will communicate?

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

I have had zero communication other than head to Medford to get a load. This is a drop and hook contrary to Road Assist telling me to not drop the trailer until I got to Salt Lake City. I have asked about heading into the terminal and have received no reply. No word from any department about anything actually and I am through asking questions that are disregarded.

So first time down cabbage patch

Yep were you the other one? I wasn't sure what else to do but hold on if 15mph can cause a jack knife and it's my fault I'll take the responsibility but man I thought I was a dead man.

I saw no chain advisories online or on hwy signs...just to carry them... Other trucks flying past me with dual tires had no chains and were tossing up water spray. Gotta head thru SLC terminal. If they wanna boot me they can go ahead.

So first time down cabbage patch

That's where it got me yesterday too. Empty trlr, super singles. Were you in the other Prime truck?

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Whatever happens, happens.

Posted:  7 years ago

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Did you try calling directly to safety? If you haven't heard from your Fleet Manager by tomorrow morning, that is what I would do.

Since it was just you involved, pretty good chance it might be a un-avoidable instead of preventable accident. Keep your fingers crossed.

Ernie

I called my FM immediately once I got the seat cushion out of my backside. He transferred me to Safety. Spoke with Road Assist also. Am told that they informed dispatch to get me a load through the Salt Lake City terminal. Just no idea when that might materialize.

Posted:  7 years ago

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

So, what you are saying is, the trailer hit the back of the cab of the truck?

I've never driven for Prime, so I don't know how they are going to react.

Any damage to the trailer? Is it a reefer? If so, any damage to the refrigeration unit?

If you hit ice, what is Prime's policy on driving on ice?

They might count it as an "accident," they might not. It might be "at fault," or it might be "not at fault."

Dave

Yep... Cab swung left when I hit the gravel and the trailer met my side of the sleeper. Some damage to the side of the trailer and landing gear. I have found no policy on ice driving other than its the driver's decision. Of course since this was ice that was not there one moment and there the next... I didn't get much decision time.

Posted:  7 years ago

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Heading east on 84 in Oregon about 6 this morning. Surface was wet, no chain or ice advisories. Trailer was empty and it was very windy so was maintaining. 45-50mph. Other trucks going by had no chains on. Before mm325, it started snowing and sleeting hard and I slowed to 30-35. Long story short, coming downhill at that point I was in the right lane and suddenly was sliding toward the left. Tractor hit the median gravel and the trailer crunched the sleeper behind me. Got the truck restarted and pulled the trailer all the way onto the median as other trucks slid by. One went in the ditch at the bottom of the hill. I was not cited and the truck did not have to be towed. Anybody know how Prime handles these things? I have been sitting ar a truck stop all day with zero word from my Fleet Manager.

Heading to Cheyenne

Leaving the Kansas City area tonight for a Friday delivery in Cheyenne. Any best online resource for monitoring road conditions? Hearing that weather conditions in that area will be deteriorating during the day Friday. Thanks!

Powered Coolers?

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Powered Coolers?

Been considering purchasing one as I drive a lightweight truck with no room for a fridge. Just wondered if any of you use one of the powered coolers or had any bad experiences with a particular brand.

Thanks and stay safe!

Prime Fleet Mgr Issues

Well for starters most dispatchers hate phone calls. They prefer to communicate over Qualcomm exclusively unless it's an emergency or something rare and complex. I have heard of dispatchers that prefer using the phone, but that's quite rare.

But this kind of stuff seems normal. You just have to work through it. I mean, we can't tell what's going on or who's fault anything is from a few sentences. But it normally takes a few months for a driver and dispatcher to get to know how the other one works. In this case if they give you an appointment time you can't make then you have procedures for that. Every company is a bit different. But normally you send in an ETA and shoot a message to dispatch letting them know the situation and that's all you can do. If you can't physically make an appointment time your truck's time and location is being tracked and your logbook hours are available. So if they try to give you a service failure and you contest it, management should be able to look things up in the computer and know within five minutes if you could have made that appointment time or not.

Thanks for the advice. This site has been a big help for this newbie!

Prime Fleet Mgr Issues

So you're sitting 13 miles from your destination thought now (2pm) and you cannot make a 5:15 a.m. appointment tomorrow morning? Or did I miss something?

Possibly 05:15 today, Thursday. Mark has driven dispiritedly yesterday and today, and is now waiting for a new delivery time because it was not possible to make 05:15. I'm guessing, but Mark doesn't want to arrive at the DC just to be turned away because he doesn't have a delivery appointment.

Just found out a couple of unknowns that would have made me a lot less grumpy. The pickup location sets the delivery appts with the DC... Not Prime. And am told they are billing the pickup location for detention pay due to the delivery appt time being unrealistic. So at least I am not just sitting dead in the water.

Prime Fleet Mgr Issues

Ok so my typing sucks today. I'll just say I'm glad I don't have a governed truck lol.

Wouls have been able to possibly make the appt if I had been able to run 5 over the speed limit!

Prime Fleet Mgr Issues

I try to communicate via QC as much as possible so there's a "paper trail". I only made the phone call at the suggestion of another Prime driver. Maybe I caught the guy on a bad day and I am overthinking things.

Prime Fleet Mgr Issues

The appointment was for THIS morning. Apologies if I was unclear.

Prime Fleet Mgr Issues

So... Sitting in Punta Gorda FL about 13 miles from the Sam's Club DC. Left Clayton NC with a load for the DC yesterday morning at 6:30am. Approx 26 hrs travel time counting mandated breaks. I was told to provide an ETA when I was able to do so with some accuracy. Drove about 3 hrs to get an idea of average speed with my light load and as I pulled into a truck stop to send the msg I received a QC msg with a 5:15am appt time. Not possible. I sent a response reminding them an ETA had been requested. So far no new appt has been set. Called my FM to check and he would not speak to me. Once on another load with refused freight for Walmart in VA he had told me to "just show up and see if they'll take it". We all know how well that works with Walmart... I have not been told this is a service failure and it should not be. Prime's trucks will not run fast enough for me to make the appt time I was given. I just cannot handle petulance from someone like this. Anyone ever have a similar situation? Do I need to consider requesting a different FM?

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Prime Learner's Permit Test, Pre-Trip?

For my permit exam at Prime I had to take 3 different written tests: Air brakes Combination vehicles Tanker The pretrip itself is during the actual CDL License exam.

And I tried to put each item on the permit test on a different line. Didn't know it would look like I forgot punctuation when I submitted the reply!