Comments By SamTon

https://cal16han.edublogs.org/files/2013/05/Patriotic_Semi_Truck23_CDL_Life-2jhvkg8.jpg avatar
  • SamTon
  • Comments:

Dang cpap

Just got off the phone with Melton the process has been put on hold until they get a 30 day report

Hmm...did you just start using it? I'm supposed to start orientation next week (with a different company) and I suspect they are going to have me do a sleep test, and I suspect they will determine that I have sleep apnea, and I was wondering if that will end up sending me home until data is collected.

I had sinus surgery and just got back on it I have to be on it 30 days to get a report.

Dang cpap

What happens if I fail the hair test?

In the phone interview I just had she causally says how long has it been since you smoked dope. I don't was my answer. If you want to drive a truck don't do drugs. Don't do them anyway. Stupid people do drugs.trucks are dangerous stay away from them if you do them. Report me to Brett if you want

Flatbed likes dislikes

Likes:

- It's physically and mentally challenging

- Shippers/receivers are usually much quicker than at big DCs

- Lots of variety

- You get to actually see and interact with your cargo

- You rarely have to worry about low clearances

- Great pay

- You often get to drive to very unique locations

Dislikes:

- Tarping in extreme weather conditions

I can't think of any other dislikes right now!

so if I could get out of harping I would be in great shape. Sounds good

Flatbed likes dislikes

Likes:

- It's physically and mentally challenging

- Shippers/receivers are usually much quicker than at big DCs

- Lots of variety

- You get to actually see and interact with your cargo

- You rarely have to worry about low clearances

- Great pay

- You often get to drive to very unique locations

Dislikes:

- Tarping in extreme weather conditions

I can't think of any other dislikes right now!

Thanks!!

What do companies mean by 'Home time'?

I want to be helpful,that's just my nature. There are lots of companies with day cab jobs around here surely there are some up there. I don't think over the road is the best thingg for you right now if you have kids that need you at home . Don't give up you seem like a nice person

Floating Gears

When my uncle was teaching me I was pulling a loaded coal bucket grinding gears he stood beside me mashing the pedal going back and forth from 14 th to 15 th cussing telling me how to do it. So practice practice practice

Flatbed likes dislikes

What do you like or not like about pulling a flatbed?

Floating Gears

how am i accelerating when I'm supposed to be slowing down.

Only use the accelerator once you've pulled the truck out of gear. In neutral, using the accelerator will not increase your speed. It will only bump your rpms up, allowing you to match the rpms needed for the gear you're downshifting into. I hope that makes sense, I'm no good at explaining things like that.

Both methods of shifting are fine. If you prefer to double clutch, it's not a big deal. Keep trying to learn, since that's what your trainer wants (and it might just click and you'll end up preferring floating), but once you're in your own truck you can kick floating to the curb forever if you like.

And the only stupid question is the one that's not asked.

makes sence. You are exactly right

Flatbed

I'd be real cautious about going flatbed then. Not saying all companies are the same but I have a tall load I have to climb almost once a week.

/span

Will Melton let you take a ladder

Your favorite region of the country?

I have to agree with G Town. If you have never seen a sunrise or sunset in the desert then you are truly missing out. Of course you can't forget the great salt Plains in utah......or the many other scenes that one can see out the windshield.

Your right all through there is nice

Your favorite region of the country?

We have been to all 48. They all have their good points. Northern California and Oregon stick out in my mind

What do companies mean by 'Home time'?

Have you looked at R&L carriers they hire in your state or yellow freight. A ltl sounds what you need

Another physical question

According to this page, you can take the whisper test using hearing aids.

Well that's good news!! Thanks:)

Another physical question

Just saw where they give a whisper test. I already have hearing aids is this going to be a problem? I start the process Monday

Loaner Truck

Not to sound dumb but what is a def tank?

DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid

It's that horrible stuff that all newer trucks have to run thanks to the lovely state of California. If you remember the scene in Red Dawn (the original) where they pee in the radiator, this is literally letting livestock pee in your exhaust in an effort to make it cleaner.

The red dawn thing. Funny. At least these new engines are keeping us mechanics busy

Buying a C.B. radio

I use a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. Very happy with it and does everything you need. Love's had the on sale usually. Got mine it was on sale plus a $20 mail in rebate that I need to send off.

Something to keep in mind. All CB radios are limited to 4 watts. So you're only paying for better features and better components when you get a more expensive radio. And some of those features do come in handy like being able to control RF gain and such.

Sounds good thanks! Hey Southernjourneyman I am going to send you a text message when I get home and get to the other phone

Buying a C.B. radio

The most common CB's you'll find in trucks and the ones that in my opinion are sure-fire best bets are either the Cobra 29 or Uniden PC78, which are almost equivalent radios. There are numerous versions of each model with all sorts of features to choose from. But you're getting radios that are in a comfortable price range, built really well, and battle tested for decades. They are also very flexible and expandable. You can add all sorts of extra power and sound effects right inside the radio chassis. They also come with SWR calibration so you know when your antennas are tuned properly to your system.

My setup for years and years was a Uniden PC78 with an Astatic noise-cancelling mic and what was then a Connex brand echo board and bigger finals put in it. I also had excellent antennas that were well tuned to the system. It was a rock solid system I used for years. It sounded fantastic, it had good power so I could broadcast well, and it never let me down. I retired with it and it's still sitting in my closet I think. Fantastic radio.

Great! thanks! Want to sell it?

Buying a C.B. radio

I want to buy a radio any suggestions on which one to buy? recommendations?

Question.

Hope it's ok for me to ask this...from my understanding, different companies specialized in different types of transport (reefer, flatbed, etc) and some have more than one type.

If for example I'm interested in Roehl because of their flexible home time, what are my options? I've read that they mostly do flatbeds, and I don't think that's a good idea for me to do that. I don't want to have to handle tarps, straps and such. I don't think I'm strong enough for it. I want to drive, not break my back. I also read that reefers are often coast to coast, and again, probably not a good idea if I want to be home every week.

A friend of mine drove for Ruan and loved them. Check them out