Profile For Kurt G.

Kurt G.'s Info

ME

Experienced Driver

3 years, 11 months ago

Kurt G.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Kurt G.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Ha ha, so basically, both. I was just curious. Anyway, you can think what you want about how tough I am, but I can defend my points and I don't need to hide behind what Brett wrote.

Sorry for the digression everyone. Carry on.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

OH Please Kurt! SMH

confused.gif

"SMH" because you disagree, or because you don't think that matters?

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Never mind, I shouldn't have bothered posting. I should have known I'd just get a lecture instead of a discussion.

Feeling sensitive today are we? He wasn't lecturing you in the least. He was just answering your question and carrying on a respectable conversation.

As my dad used to say, toughen up buttercup.

Well, maybe 'lecture' is the wrong word, but I think Tractor Man's post has a bit of a "you're an idiot" tone to it, and I *am* sensitive to that. (And as contrast, your response doesn't have that tone). But I think maybe he didn't get exactly what my question was, and I guess that's my fault for not being clear. I don't think it's a matter of not being tough enough, but sometimes it just doesn't seem worth the trouble to argue my point. Then I wish I hadn't bothered posting at all because if I don't keep responding it looks like I'm admitting my post was stupid.

Having said that, I think Tractor Man's second post might have the answer. It could be the spokesman was thinking that probably the brakes failed because the driver didn't use a low gear to safely descend the hill. At the beginning of that youtube video there's a sign warning trucks that they aren't at the bottom of the hill yet, maybe he ignored that or didn't notice it.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Why would that be? Maybe he was coming down the hill too fast or something?

Because 8 or 10 people are dead!?

4, actually. But yeah, people getting killed is a requirement for a homicide charge, but it doesn't explain why it's the driver's fault no matter what failed.

The driver is responsible for the mechanical soundness and safety of hie equipment. Have you ever seen the signs at the top of a big downgrade? "BRAKE CHECK AREA AHEAD. ALL TRUCKS MUST STOP". That sign isn't there to keep the sign company in business. Do you heed that sign? I do, and am blown away by the number of trucks that just go blowing by as I am checking things out. Also, if he was in the proper gear at the top of the hill, with a properly operating engine brake, he would not have blown by those cars at that high rate of speed. Pure negligence at the very least on the drivers part.

Maybe, but you don't know what the failure was, and don't know whether or not he checked his brakes at the top. Surely a driver is only responsible for mechanical problems that could have been found while doing the required inspections. So I'm wondering how the police spokesman is so sure unless he has more information than is being released.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Truck Crash Colorado - With Videos

Article on cnn.com says that the driver said his brakes failed (as someone mentioned above). The thing that interests me from the article is this:

When asked whether there were any mechanical issues with the truck, [Lakewood Police agent] Countryman said it is something his department is looking into, but he believes even if there were a mechanical issue, vehicular manslaughter charges would still stick.

Why would that be? Maybe he was coming down the hill too fast or something?

Posted:  5 months ago

My satanic fifth wheel

I think you said in another thread that you got it checked out, but it sounds like you need it checked again. It's ridiculous to have to spend an hour getting it to release. Also if it's not working right it could be dangerous.

I notice that twice it released right away after waiting some time. That makes me wonder if it could somehow be air pressure related. Does the air pressure hold when you're parked? Maybe you could try pumping the brakes to reduce the air pressure before pulling the releae. It's a long shot, don't know why air pressure would have anything to do with it except that it does have an air release button, but it's a thought.

Posted:  5 months ago

Phone hot spot connection

A couple things that I found out the hard way: you can have unlimited data on your phone plan but sometimes the hotspot data is limited, and it's easy to use a good chunk just watching youtube videos for a few hours. Also, if you have a windows laptop, go to the network settings for that connection and set it to 'metered'. Doing that will limit tbe amount of updating it does over that connection. Unfortunately, last I knew it was impossible to completely stop windows 10 from doing some updates whenever it wanted.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Uxbridge Massachusetts

I haven't been there for a couple years, but yeah, they have parking and a bathroom for drivers. They have drive-up check in so you can sit in your truck if there's a line, and they usually have empties.

When I was going there south on 146, my gps was telling me to turn right off the exit, but you have to turn left to get to the truck entrance. But if you're coming from Conn. I guess you'd be going north on 146, then it looks like you do turn right.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

My truck did not have any AC power.

I should probably have said that it wasn't so much that the truck batteries wouldn't run the cpap all night. Sometimes they wouldn't last all night without running the cpap, like if I tried to cook something after I stopped, or if I forgot to turn the headlights off for a couple hours after stopping. I know my truck had 4 batteries wired in parallel, which seems like a lot of power even if they aren't "deep discharge" batteries like you'd ideally want to use to run things with an inverter. So I kind of suspected that the actual problem was that one or more of the batteries wasn't working 100%, but they didn't want to replace them as long as the truck continued to start. But I could be wrong, I don't know.

Anyway, I think if a truck is having problems with power lasting all night, it might make sense to have a battery dedicated to the cpap. I know at Schneider they monitored usage and if you missed more than 3 nights out of 10 you couldn't drive until you caught up, so it was important to be able to use it.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Experienced opinions needed - tire issue

Lol, this time g-town's the speed typer. He posted his while I was writing, didn't mean to repeat what he said.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Experienced opinions needed - tire issue

I'm not an expert on brakes by any means, but if the air pressure was low I could imagine one wheel locking up, since it would depend on the weigh on it, the traction, the condition of the brake pads, etc. So maybe that wheel locked but the others were just dragging the brakes.

As for the truck problem affecting the trailer, I guess maybe since there's only one compressor, if it can't pressurize the truck system because of a leak it probably can't add pressure to the trailer either. I think there are check valves so that if part of the system has a leak then other parts will maintain pressure to allow you to stop, but eventually you probably lose pressure to the whole system.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

That's exactly what I got from Schneider. My truck batteries wouldn't run the cpap all night when it was cold out, so they gave me a canvas carry bag with a battery in it (car battery size), a charger, and a small power inverter. During the day I would plug the inverter into a 12 volt outlet and plug the charger into it to charge the battery while I was driving, then at night I had a female 12 volt connector with battery clips, and the 12 volt power supply which came with the cpap machine. Worked great. The battery would actually run the cpap machine for several nights without recharging.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

What a week

Well, at least you have that new tractor to mitigate your sorrows! 🤒

That's true! I don't even have to be setup in a hotel, just stating in my truck until tomorrow! rofl-3.gif

The only bad part is, I'm parked behind the shop(the shop told me to park here) so the bathroom is a pretty good walk away...

Well, the shop told you that so they'd know where to find it. If they're not gong to get to it tomorrow you could park out front tonight. Unless you think they might get to it tonight, but in that case you won't have a place to stay.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Tight Situation

Grumpy Old Man types faster than I do....

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Tight Situation

If the trailer is low enough, backing under it will pick it up enough for you to pull it out and get to the landing gear. If not, sometimes you can crawl under and get to the crank, and turn it a few times to get some clearance to pull it out. Otherwise you find a yard jockey or a reasonable substitue like you guys did.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Other Schneider Drivers or opinions

I left Schneider over a year ago, but when I was there I heard people complaining about the same thing (being stuck in the northeast). They used to pay shorthaul pay for short trips, but I don't know if they still do. It used to be if the trip was short enough you'd make twice the normal pay per mile. Anyway, they must be short of drivers for home depot. Just before I left they were gearing up to take over that DC, and I was interested but I didn't live close enough to Westfield.

Home Depot is probably really busy with seasonal stuff. Hopefully they'll let you do your time there then get you moving west soon.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Help me learn about Lumpers

I think I asked about this a couple years ago, because the first time I had to use lumpers it was a small company and it was obviously the company employees unloading the truck. So I was kind of puzzled how they got away with charging the carrier to unload stuff the company had ordered. They even had a paper hanging on the office wall that listed the maximum amount each carrier would pay before questioning it. But I guess it's just the way things work. If carriers know that the shipping includes unloading then I suppose they take that in to account.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Omg, locked my keys in my truck again

Some truck stops sell kits to unlock doors, like a thin metal strip to shove down the window. Or maybe someone else there has something.

Yeah... and then the next time, the kit is locked inside the truck lol

But the point is that it's cheaper than paying a locksmith to come, even if you throw the kit away when you're done. But I'd keep it in case someone else needed it some day.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Omg, locked my keys in my truck again

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

I ran over a kitchen sink!

Good thing it was only ceramic.

Watching your video led me to spend an hour watching other videos about "people having bad days".