Profile For Kurt G.

Kurt G.'s Info

ME

Experienced Driver

3 years, 3 months ago

Kurt G.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Kurt G.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 days, 17 hours ago

Jake brake in icy conditions?

I think you also have to be careful when downshifting, for the same reason as the jake brakes. Use the brakes, they will spread the stopping force over all the wheels, and you also have ABS if some wheels lose traction.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

GPS issues

Lol. I know it is Wal Mart. I was frustrated when I sent the message.

Lol, just checking. Last time I had to type it in I couldn't remember how many L's it had. Anyway, I guess most things with a search function these days will find it as long as you get close.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

GPS issues

I haven't used a garmin, but you know it's "Walmart" and not "wall mart", right? Maybe that will make a difference.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Historic "Super Load" in Canada

You know what would suck, is if you stopped for fuel and the Super Load was in line before you.

Lol, I'm pretty sure that thing will not be pulling into any fuel island in the world, usually loads like that with multiple trucks powering it have a fuel truck traveling along with them for refueling.

Ha, ha, I was joking of course. But I did once pull in to a Pilot in Sturbridge MA and found a National Guard convoy in the fuel line. They were considerate enough to only use 3 of the 6 fuel lanes though.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Historic "Super Load" in Canada

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Portland Maine area folks, CDL schools....

Well, I guess some of the 'drama' that happened while I was there wouldn't be relevant now. I know they did seem to be having a problem with the student success rate when I was there, specifically the percentage of students passing their CDL test on the first attempt. You could probably ask the school about their current stats. I also don't know how their stats compare to other schools.

Having said that, I've met a lot of drivers who went there. Like you said, it's the only one around. Heavy C wrote about his time there somewhere on this site, if you can find the thread. If I remeber correctly, he only had good things to say.

Thanks for the reply! Would you mind elaborating a little?

Not going to get too deep into it, but I will not be going to a company sponsored training. Will be private school for me!

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Portland Maine area folks, CDL schools....

I went to NTI a few years ago. I could write a lot about what happened while I was there, but I'll just say that I passed and got my CDL which was the goal, so I can't argue with that. I would say if you can possibly take the weekday classes then do that, because when I was there the weekend classes were much more crowded, so we got a lot more time behind the wheel during the weekday classes. It might be a better idea to look in to company training programs, as was mentioned above. In any case, good luck.

Posted:  1 month ago

Got To Get A Sleep Study Done

Any word on why he wanted the sleep study done? Do you fit the metrics usually used neck size 17 inches and BMI 35?

My neck size is about 14 inches give or take, I am over weight so that is probably another concern. When I went on for my 30-45 day evaluation I had to do a sleep study questionnaire. So the answers I provided probably gave them a reason to give me one. As I have gotten 3 DOT 2 year medical cards in the last year, one for my taxi permit, one for when I got to the trucking school, and one for when I got to Schneider.

So the sleep study questionnaire is probably the main reason.

I think what they do is that they aren't as strict on the guidelines at your initial physical because the Schneider insurance covers 100% of the testing and cpap machine and supplies, but the insurance coverage doesn't kick in until, what is it, 90 days? So I think they reevaluate drivers after they are insured instead of sticking you with the bill before you are even hired for certain, which is pretty cool

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

17.5 tire upgrade help! speed rating j?

This probably isn't the best place to ask such questions because it's a forum mostly for beginner drivers who drive company equipment. That said, I think you are confusing "speed rating" with "load range" because they both use some of the same letters. Search for info on load range h and j. As for max speed, one article I found says that all north american tires are at least L speed range which is 75mph. I think by getting tires with a higher load range you have increased the weigh you can have on those axles (as far as tire rating anyway, you still have to comply with any load limits for roads you drive on of course).

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Backing Question

I agree with what others have said, I'm thinking it's more of a training thing than a test, and 'passing' probably means you look like you know something about backing a trailer into a space. Anyway I don't know anything about Werner or that simulation, and I'm not an expert on backing or anything, but FWIW I would say that you want to watch the tandems and some imaginary line that extends out from the space. You need to get the trailer lined up with the space before the back end gets there, so focus on getting the tandems around an imaginary corner that's a ways out from the actual corner. If you watch the end of the trailer and the opening of the space then I think that makes it more difficult. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

New local job

We don't get mad when people disagree with us. We might get a little testy when people say dumb or false things though.

I'm actually glad to hear that those bottled water loads don't produce a surge. I've never hauled one, but I assumed the total mass of water would have that effect.

See there, you made me happy by setting me straight! smile.gif

Now we will wait and see if somebody wants to contradict you. rofl-1.gif

Ha ha, it's ok, I guess I was being a little snide because a few times in the past I've ruffled some feathers by disagreeing with 'the powers that be' (and one time for agreeing, because my post was apparently 'too similar' to what had already been posted).

Anyway, good luck again, Derrick.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

New local job

Congrats Derrick, I hope you'll be happy with the new job. I find myself in the Boston area quite a bit at my current job, so I'll be interested to hear what your stops are like. BTW, I hate to disagree with people here because some of them get angry about it, but as someone who's been to Hollis many times I can tell you that a load of bottled water does not have any noticeable 'slosh' or surge. But I can't argue with being careful. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Backing Up

If you ever find yourself at the Shrewsbury Mass. OC, see if Brad has time to give you some tips (if he's still there). He gave me some tips that dramatically improved my backing.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Schneider requiring me to get a chauffeur license?

I have a guess (which I suppose isn't worth much): when I went to Schneider orientation/training, they actually hired everyone the first day, something about only employees were allowed to drive their trucks. If you passed, they 'transferred' you to a regular driver, otherwise they let you go. So if they're doing the same for the cdl training, maybe you need a chauffeur license to be employed as a driver while getting a cdl, or something like that.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Surprised

Sounds like you should go to the interview, if you can work it. If you get the offer you can make the hard decision, if you don't then you won't have to wonder if you should have tried.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Hwy training without living in truck?

John T, I'm with you, I was concerned about having to live in a truck with someone else. We all have issues we struggle with, and maybe there is a problem that you don't want to post here. This place likes to employ the "tough love", but unfortunately sometimes, in my opinion anyway, it can cross over in to unnecessary insults and piling on.

In any case, to do some piling on myself: if you want to drive a truck, do something about it *today*. As has been pointed out, you can't wait or you will have wasted your training. You should call a Schneider recruiter today. They have the shortest training i think, you can deal with it for 5 or 6 days. I should point out that when I started there I was told that during training the student would stay in the truck while the trainer stayed in a motel (or was it the other way around?), but that's not really what happens, you both stay in the truck. I think maybe they have you sign a paper that says you won't stay together in the truck just so that if something happens later they can say they told you not to.

Anyway, get out there and do it. It might be true that trucking is living on someone else's terms, but it's also true that once you get past training you'll be on your own and you won't have to go through that again. Good luck.

Posted:  4 months ago

Post Accident Training

I've been through the same thing at the same OC, and I agree with the above, I think you'll be ok. They will talk to you about how the accident happened and what you learned, then they'll have you write out what you plan to do to avoid it in the future. That also serves as a written warning. Then they may have you drive with a trainer so they can see if you have developed any bad habits and maybe will give you some extra training.

Posted:  4 months ago

Questions About Scales

You did the right thing in that you had a doubt so you pulled in. But I'm familiar with that station, and the "all trucks must enter" flashing lights just mean that the station is open, so if your qualcomm told you to bypass, you could have bypassed.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Can a hauler cause this damage?

Looks like more than a thin coat of rust on the damaged part, seems like that would have had to happen some time ago.

Posted:  5 months ago

Question in regards to the 8/70 clock

...Of course sleeper berth also works that way, so by "off duty" i meant either off duty or sleeper berth.