Profile For RevBigTag

RevBigTag's Info

Rincon, GA

Considering A Career

4 years ago

RevBigTag's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Starting TDI today

I've only posted a few times, but have benefitted greatly from the insights on this forum. Just wanted to let everyone know that I finally took the plunge and went with TDI in Forsyth GA. We are on our second day and supposed to get our permits tomorrow.

My questions to the group are....we have been given a stack of applications and from my research most of the companies they are pushing are not very good companies to work for. I have applied to Abilene, Jim Palmer, Schneider, Swift, Danny Herman Trucking, PTL, and Prime. I was accepted earlier to go to training at Prime and decided to put that off and go to school on my own so I'm sure I can get on with them. Are there any other good companies that will hire student driver, just out of school, where the Savannah GA area is within their hiring area?

Thanks for any help you could offer,

Scott

I went to TDI Forsythe. Not as polished as some other schools from what I've seen, but they teach you what you need.

I went from TDI to Stevens, and have been happy with it. The pay is lower than some, but the support for new drivers is good.

That is for sure true. It is very frustrating actually. Especially when you have paid out of pocket and all these other guys are here on a free ride goofing around, and a new trainer every day telling you something different. It is really aggravating. I already had a cdl b which I got through the school system and the trainers there were much better.

Starting TDI today

The recruiters will tell you if they're hiring from your area.

I graduated from TDI Milton, FL over two years ago. The only apps we filled out were for companies hiring in our area.

I've been a Schneider driver since graduating TDI.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I have applied to Schneider and talked with a recruiter. Nice to know you are having a good experience.

Starting TDI today

Editor's Note: Check out our very thorough review of TDI Truck Driver Institute

I've only posted a few times, but have benefited greatly from the insights on this forum. Just wanted to let everyone know that I finally took the plunge and went with TDI in Forsyth GA. We are on our second day and supposed to get our permits tomorrow.

Thanks for any help you could offer,

Scott

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

Thanks Scott D for your update on the situation with Covenant. Would love to hear more about your guys experience. We have still not made any decision as of yet. We are not in a position to "have" to move on from our current jobs...so we want to make sure we get all the info that we can.

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

That would be great.

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

I know it has been a while, but any updates on anyone's training or info about training husband/wife teams?

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

I had heard some good things about Henderson from another board. Are you going to be able to train together once you have completed the CDL training?

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

Ok, spoke with Schneider and, according to the recruiter, they do train teams together. A very short training period though. He said eighteen straight days of training total including orientation, paperwork, simulator training, etc. Maybe only 8-10 days on the road. Trainer stays in hotel at night (unless he doesn't want to leave his truck in your hands overnight while he is in the hotel), trainer is not part of the team (not bunked out while newbies are driving). Recruiter said we would train out of Indianapolis (assuming because we are in Cincinnati). They have a dedicated run for Amazon out of northern Kentucky to MD and NJ that they are currently hiring teams for. OTR has a sign-on bonus, the Amazon account does not.

We are pre-hired at Werner at the moment, applying to Schneider this week. Will relay any more info if I get it.

Any new info?

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

Thanks again for all the replies. Looking forward to hearing about your and your wife's adventure Scott D.

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

No Gary...you are absolutely right. Ideally I would love to be able to train together. That would be perfect. And my wife of 25 years I certainly would not throw to the wolves. I thank you and appreciate your insight. Please feel free to give any other wisdom you may want to impart.

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

Thanks for all the ideas. I would like to do training together but the consensus seems to be that training together wouldn't be good. But if it is doable, I think that would be best for us.

Husband Wife Team Driving Help!

Hey all,

Been reading up a lot on this an one other trucking forum. So thankful for all the articles, experiences, and information that is available. Everyone here is great. My wife and I are in our 40's...contemplating being team drivers. I drove for 3 years for FedEx Home delivery, but never over the road. I have a class B. license and doing some part time bus driving now. I mention the FedEx driving because I know what it is to be out in a vehicle for 12+ hours a day. I am by no means saying that compares with otr drivers.

We are looking at what might be the best possible route for us to take to get CDL's and sign on with a company. Because we don't have, or at least won't have any income if we are both in school/training then we need to take a quicker route to school than a Community College which does have a trucking class in our area. I have been researching Central Refrigerated, Prime, and Hendersen...but would really like anyone's opinion on these or any other options.

BTW, we live in GA near Savannah. Probably aren't looking to make the change until beginning of next year. Also, we are not tied to this area so we could move/relocate if needed.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,