Comments By Allan Burden

https://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss7/ballanburden/4FA0A882-2BB5-4299-9B9D-A8826FCBCCDC.jpg avatar

You fellow flatbedders will get this...

The very first thing I learned about new tarps....THEY ARE NOT FOLDED RIGHT !!!! Unfortunately, I learned this in the middle of the night, snowing, on an icy load...about cured me of flatbedding...lol So take those fancy new tarps out and fold them like you like them....

I can't believe a company would only give you lumber tarps if you also haul steel. You never need a big tarp for steel, but steel is sometimes hard on tarps, so a smaller tarp is easier to repair, or replace...AND holes in your lumber tarps can cost you alot in damaged freight...

You are so right about not being folded correctly. I had just got these from the shop, they are now done right ;)

You fellow flatbedders will get this...

No lumber tarps for me. I am on a dedicated account and the only reason I have tarps at all i s to pick up a coil and bring it back to SC so I can get more custom chassis from Freightliner to haul back to IN/MI.

Personal Vehicle???? I live in BFE And closest bus station/Interstate is three hours away

I drive for Swift in their Flatbed division.

You fellow flatbedders will get this...

Got two brand new steel tarps!!! So excited to replace my old ugly ones. Pay no attention to the disheveled state of my catwalk. The truck is in the shop and I am rearranging ;). rolled-up flatbed tarps secured to a truck for storage

We need TT stickers for our trucks

I've been saying forever that I would get hats, T-shirts, and all that kind of stuff made up but I never seem to get to it.

Darn life just gets in the way sometimes, don't it? Hahaha. Some swag would be sweet though.

Every terminal I have been in has driver parking and I drove my POV to training. The companies do not mind. We, my company, has terminals in Albuquerque and Denver and we train.

We need TT stickers for our trucks

Brett has the tracker app under the menu tab. If we update that when we park for a break one can see who is nearby. The stickers would be cool too, though.

Question about hometime

With Swift I tell them the zipcode I want to be in and the day I want to be there and they have got me there everytime and on time. The general rule of thumb is to request to be home a day or two before a date you MUST be home by, at least for Swifties. You never know how the load is gonna play out.

Finally got my truck!

121753. I am the guy in the white Cascadia with Swift on the side. The name is just wishful thinking though. Prime trucks are the only ones we can pass haha.

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

Thank you Allan and best wishes to you. Glad to hear things worked out for you in the long run. I am considering going tanker division but have questions about it before I go that route. I have heard that being tanker reduces the ability of the dispatcher to match the driver up to requested destinations, i.e. when I want to take days off in a particular city and need a load to take me there. Also I have heard that there can be more deadheading and more chances of there being gaps in getting loads compared to reefer. But I want to talk to someone here at Prime that is in it and can give me firsthand information.

Be blessed and be safe!

I see a ton of Prime tankers in the Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan part of my route. If I remember correctly, the tanker specific training is in the Chicago area. I have not seen a Prime tanker in the southeast. Does not mean they are not here of course. Schnieder has a huge tanker fleet and I see those guys everywhere. The nice thing about Prime tanker is that it is all food grade though. Oh, have you been to the Millenium Building yet? I do miss that terminal. There is not a nicer one in the nation for any company.

Same problem with students and instructors.......

So very true. I have been through the training/mentoring process twice with two different companies. I did not know anything then amd I am still learning every mile I roll. Excellent post.

Finally got my truck!

Good luck with Prime! I wish I would have went flatbed when I was with them, as I now drive flatbed for Swift and I love it. The great thing about buying your equipment is that it's yours when you pay it off, if you become an O/O you are set and ready. You guys haul a ton of stuff into the Caterpillar plant in Clayton NC so maybe I'll bump into you one of these days. Be safe!

Realistic Expectations

Yes it is very possible. We have a driver here at Roehl that has 4.5 million miles and not one ticket or preventable accident. He was also name the Professional Trucker Association trucker of the year. That was huge because they gave him a brand new Ford pick up with the honor. I, also know of another driver that has 2.5 million safe miles. It is possible but hard to achieve. We all have moments where we become distracted or make a bad decision. Sometimes nothing bad happens. Be safe and strive to be one of these guys or gals that have achieved greatness.

Great post and so very true! Sure, luck is a part of it but one's driving habits are the biggest factor in having a blemish free career.

Flatbed Division with Swift

Please do! I am wanna get any and all info on Swift. I will be going to school there in a couple of months. Thank You!

Good luck on your quest. I will give any information I have, good and bad. Will post as I have a chance to do longer posts, it's hard on my iphone LOL. I trained with a van mentor due to being a non-smoker and after completing my 240 hours with him went to flatbed as I was hired for. They have flatbed mentors, just not many. Swift is a large company with something around 15,000 van drivers I think...there are only 250 of us flatbedders. Where are you located at? Swift has a large number of terminals, but only a few that dispatch for flatbed...Phoenix, Gary, and Greer is doing a few dedicated accounts once more. Any questions, ask away...I will be glad to help.

Flatbed Division with Swift

I have been on and off TT since 2010ish I think...hehehe...and originally started with Prime and documented that experience here. I chose to leave before fully completing my training, but had my CDL A already, due to my wife having pregnancy complications. After things settled down it was time to come back out on the road. Prime would not hire me back but I found an job I like even better, I have been driving in the flatbed division for Swift since February of this year and am on a great dedicated account now. Thought I would start a topic for anybody looking for information on Swift Flatbed as there's not a lot out there...be safe!

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

You seem to have a steady and solid head on your shoulders and should do very well with Prime. I obtained my CDL by going through Prime's training and documented my experience here as well, right up to the point I went home due to my wife having some complications with her pregnancy. I was out of trucking for nearly a year and when I tried to return I tried to return to Prime, but they said no :(. I still think Prime is a great place to get your start, it's not the easiest carrier to work for as they expect you to be a grown adult and make the right decisions but they do not treat you unfairly. I am now driving a flatbed for Swift and enjoy it here just as much. Good luck to you and be safe on the road!

It's Prime Time!

Well, I got back to Springfield two days ago. Was gone about two weeks and accumulated about 85 hours of drive time. Spent two days on the pad polishing up my backing and took my tests for my CDL A today. The result...I trifecta'd! Get a $250 bonus for passing everything on the first try! Leaving out for a load to California in the morning.

The day has finally arrived!

That's awesome! Congratulations :)

It's Prime Time!

Brett, thanks for the kind words. Roadkill, I will post as much as I can. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. To update everyone, I am currently sitting in MS waiting on a load of sweet potatoes to haul to Wisconsin. This will be my longest haul so far. Have done a couple of 250 milers with a good bit of city driving to make sure I am good and broke in...glad I don't have any heart problems hahaha. Really enjoying life right now. It's not been all sunshine and cupcakes though, there have been some very tough moments of missing home and being out of my comfort zone and dealing wih others attitude issues. But I just try to keep my head held high and be nice to anyone and everyone. Kill 'em with kindness, it's always worked for me. Ya'll stay safe out there.

The day has finally arrived!

I have seen a lot of Celadon trucks in the Tennessee and Mississippi area. Probably had 15 or more go by today. Keep up the good work and you will be on the road in no time.