Profile For Mike W.

Mike W.'s Info

6 years, 11 months ago

Mike W.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Garmin Releases

Thanks TT you rock!

Garmin Releases

I'm in the market for a new Garmin. Right now I use the Nuvi 465 which I like but the maps need to be updated and its not worth paying for maps. I might as well buy a new one with lifetime map updates.

Just wondering if anyone know how often Garmin releases a newer version. The 570 is the most currant one, but I would hate to buy it and then have Garmin come out with its newer version

Thanks Mike

The new medical card

Sorry. I got the answer. This is by far the best truckers web site out there! All I had to do was type in the search box "new medical card". It would have been nice if they told me that in the docs office.

The new medical card

Does anyone know if it is legal to reduce the medical card so it will be easier to put in you wallet? They used to be a size where you can just fold it in half to the size of a credit card and slip it into your wallet. What knuckle head thought of this!? How am I suppose to put this in my wallet?

Thx Mike

Hours of service

I'm sure this is a dumb question for most of you, but you know the saying, ..a dumb question it the one not asked. So here goes. If a driver is working an 8 day / 70 hr week, can he/she work 8.75 hrs 7 days a week without a break? Is the 34 hour reset a requirement each week?

Thanks Mike

Why do drivers do this?

ROOKIES

Why do drivers do this?

Something I cannot figure out, but maybe someone can explain, is why a driver will, instead of opening their doors before starting to back-in, they will struggle to get their truck lined up with the door first, AND THEN STOP, slowly walk to the back of the trailer, open the doors, fool around with the door ties a bit, then slowly walk back to the cab, and then back straight in, ALL THE WHILE THE WHOLE YARD IS AT A STAND STILL WAITING FOR THIS DRIVER TO FINISH. There is no valid reason to do this.

Instead, open your doors in a spot that doesn't block the traffic flow, if there is a problem with your door tie, deal with it (bungie, etc). THEN back in and let everyone go on their merry way.

In serious need of a pep talk...

As far as backing is concerned I think I might have something to offer here. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse a new driver, but any driver that backs up well will understand what I mean. First of all, on the road test your judged on how many pull-ups you do. Do too many and you fail. FORGET THAT! Thats behind you now. Don't stress over how many pull-ups you do, just don't hit anything.

One thing that I find all new drivers do is concentrate on where to turn the steering wheel. Turn to the left, trailer goes left, turn to the right, and trailer goes right. This is fine just to get your license but to be a good backer you have to go passed that. I'm not saying that this is not going to take some practice but THIS IS THE KEY, YOU HAVE TO THINK OF YOUR DRIVE TIRES AS BEING THE STEER TIRES FOR THE TRAILER. Think of it, if your tractor is jacked to the left, and you turn your wheel to the right, which way will the tailer go? Not to the right like your taught in TT school. Its going to continue to go to the left because the tractor (AND DRIVE TIRES) are turned to the left. The trailer won't start to go to the right until the tractor drive tires are jacked to the right.

So often I see new drivers get the tandems right where there supposed to be, and then, because the trailer is not parallel with the hole, they pull way up and start the whole process all over again. What you need to do is get the tandems where you want them and then just jack the tractor in whatever direction you need to get the trailer parallel with the whole, DONT WORRY ABOUT HOW MANY PULL-UPS IT TAKES. Keep the pull-ups short, just a few feet, back and forth is needed to jack the tractor drives tire in the direction you need to go to line-up the trailer with the whole, once its straight, do the same amount of short pull-ups to get the tractor back in line (straight) with the trailer. The tandems will still be where you put them because your pull-ups and back-ups WERE SHORT ( remember too if there is over hang on the trailer, keep the tandems away from the other trucks/trailers until the trailer is parallel with the whole) Once the tractor is straight in front of the trailer, back you go! End of story,

As you practice this, you will need fewer pull-up to back in. In time you will be able to back-in one shot (going slowly, you don't have to be a cowboy) almost every time. And if you don't, who cares, just do a few pull-ups.

Just remember, THINK OF THE TRACTOR DRIVE TIRES AS THE STEER TIRES FOR THE TAILER. It might take a while for this to "click", but once it does you will understand what I mean.

Haven issues shifting

If ya can't find it ...grind it!

In my opinion, if a trainer expects you to shift perfectly as a new driver, he or she, is expecting too much.

Hourly or by the mile

The last time I say down and figured it out I make about 14 to 16 bucks an hour. I drive OTR and I average 2500 miles a week @ 40 cpm. That is a heck of a lot better than anything I would make at home. I do agree the pay needs to go up but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

Wow! I guess that's not too bad if someone is living in S Carolina somewhere, but in Jersey, that's not going to pay the bills. Not to mention, all the time spent working. I don't ask for much, but I would like a little bit of a life too.

Hourly or by the mile

I have been driving a truck for over 25 years as an hourly paid, local driver, so I know nothing about getting paid by the trip or mileage. I'm getting too old to be fingerprinting freight anymore so a left a job to get to something that's "no touch". I just took a job that advertised 18.00 an hour (ouch, but I'll take it since it's no touch). After going through all the drug and background check they eagerly hired me. I even turned down a few jobs and stopped looking thinking that this was the job I would stick with. Low and behold, once I start I'm told that I'm home ever night, but the trips that are over 300 miles are paid at .42 a mile. The boss told me that they would calculate it both ways and give me which ever is higher ( hourly or mileage). After talking to some of the other drivers, they say that never happens. Im with the company for about a week now and I only worked 1 day on the clock. If a load pays .42 a mile for 400 miles (its actually 417 but who's counting) that comes out to $168. I spent 11 hours from the time I started my pre-trip until I finished my post-trip, NOT including 30 min break. $168 divided by 11 hours comes out to $15.27 an hour! And it was a great day, no traffic, and no delays. I can't imagine what it would be like with bad weather and delays. After I get my first check, I'll sit down with the boss and discuss this and hopefully work this out. Everyone in the office is extremely nice, but at this point I'm feeling like I've been bamboozled.

Is this what it's like? Have any of you guys ever sat down to look at what your actually earning per hour. I see plenty of jobs advertised as 60-70K a year but they don't say how much you have to work to make that. When you think of how much responsibility it is to get a rig from point A to B, the salaries that are being offered are a disgrace.

Your opinions, PLEASE

Thanks, Mike

Central Transport

True, true, Brett, I challenge anyone to name one industry where there is such a huge demand for good workers, yet even with a clean driving record, no convictions, and good credit, you have to put up with more drama than in any other profession.

Central Transport

Thanks for the info, Rhythm, you might just have helped me make the decision to pull the trigger on my thoughts of getting out of this business for good. You see, I'm collecting a pension from a union job that closed down, but its not enough to maintain my currant lifestyle, not to mention I also need medical benefits. I had a union job for 21 years, doing pick ups and deliveries, with a big truck, but not within a cross-dock operation. From what I understand, there is a lot more pressure on you in a traditional P&D job. I'm at a point in my life where I want to start winding a bit until i can retire completely. I'm not looking to get rich at this point. I would just like a fair paying job, maybe even a low paying job with reasonable hours during the day, and some reasonable medical benefits. You can't believe how hard it is to accomplish that in the trucking industry these days. I'm even thinking of driving a school bus, but that would mean cutting back in life style in order to make ends meet. But hay, a simpler life might be just what I need.

Thanks

Central Transport

Thanks for the feedback Brett ,

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has worked for them. As i'm sure your aware, most info on the net (outside of this site) is usually unnecessarily negative. However, I have seen this company on the road for years and have to say that the equipment is not the prettiest. I'm not new to old equipment, but it has to be safe. The terminal near me advertised that they got new tractors, so I thought I would apply since their so close. But tractors are only part of your equipment and I've been reading that they don't take care of their trailers, forklifts, as well as other equipment, even the scanners used to check the freight. I read that if the scanner breaks, you don't get paid for that time since the scanner has to show activity or it will log you off (Its an hourly paid job). Anyway, they sent me for a physical, and it's looks like they might call me this week. I think that what I am just going to have to do is have a frank conversation with the TM about these concerns. I figure if he doesn't like my asking about it, (negative stuff is all over the internet, even some you tube videos) then maybe there is some truth to these rumors. I can't see that good trucking company would be upset about a driver that's concerned about safety.

Thanks again. (And thanks for this site, you do a great job with it)

Mike

Central Transport

Has anyone here heard, or know anything about Central Transport? I think they are based in Michigan, but i'm not sure. They're the ones with the (ugly) yellow trucks. LOL. They have a terminal very close to me so I applied for a local job there. They sent me for a physical and drug test and it looks like they are going to call me this week. HOWEVER, I have been reading a lot of negative stuff about them. I've never seen so much negative stuff about one company. I'm looking to this forum because I know I'll get the truth about them here.

I'm not trying to patronize anyone here. The fact is, this site is appropriately named. All the other sites seem to be filled with hate and exaggerations. But even there you will usually find some positive stuff. Not the case with Central Transport. Its all bad.

I need help to make a decision.

Thanks Mike

Training / Orientation

Yeah, thats what I though. Thanks for the reply.

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Training / Orientation

HI All,

I've been driving for a long time but this is something brand new to me. I tried to find this topic in the forum but with no success.

Anyway, I just got a new job and have to go to training for about 3 - 4 days to learn how to operate a pneumatic trailer, something that's also new to me. The company is putting me up in a hotel. I decided to drive my own vehicle there simply because it would be easier than taking a bus or train. I didn't ask if it was "paid training" or not(I'm not too worried if its not). I'm just wondering what companies typically pay, or reimburse to drivers for training like this. I'm sure there are good companies and bad companies. This is a good company. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in compensation or reimbursements

Thanks

Background checks

Thanks. I was just about to go with the other one that was suggested GoodHire.com. I read some good stuff about them, and the pricing seemed right. But I go back and look at hireright again

Background checks

Try hireright.com or goodhire.com call both of them and ask what is in their detailed report. This way you don't spend your money for nothing. Hopefully you get exactly what you need. Good luck.

Thanks Will look at those sites

So much for hireright.com Check this out https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2012/08/where-hireright-solutions-went-wrong

I'll check the other one