Profile For Florida Phil

Florida Phil's Info

Kissimmee , FL

Company Driver In Training

3 years, 7 months ago

Florida Phil's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

AUTOSOCK SNOW SOCKS TRACTION DEVICE

Greetings forum,

Does anyone have experience with these fancy shmancy tire socks? The price is steep compared to good ol’ tire chains but thankfully I’ve been blessed by trucking (indirectly thanks to this awesome site) to be able to afford them. Any trucker out there own them? Just looking for an honest review of the product.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

Mid Florida Campus CDL A program

Formerly known as Mid Florida Campus and part of Orange Technical College. Located in the Central Florida Orlando area.

Greetings TT forum,

I wanted to start this thread simply for there to be info on the CDL school I recently attended and graduated from. Great school, awesome experience, & not a single complaint to be truthfully honest. Bret mentioned he attended this school though not for a CDL program. Anyway, so as to avoid sounding like a I am promoting the school I will cut this short. Simply google the names I provided and give them a call. Their weekly orientation is quite informative and will give you an overview of the entire program, which includes CDL B courses as well.

The GOLD STANDARD of trucking forums

Greetings everyone,

I want to take a moment to thank everyone involved in this wonderful site. I recently received my CDL A from the state of Florida & consider this site a main contributor to that goal. I stumbled upon this site about a year ago and could not have been more grateful for doing so. Thank you Rick for all your efforts. Thank you to ALL moderators for keeping such a high standard of quality & defending it tooth & nail. Thank you to every single person who replies to threads for sharing your personal experiences and your insight. I will keep y'all posted on where I go from here. One last time, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU 😊

TruckingTruth Merchandise Available Soon! Need Advice.

-Lightweight or heavyweight denim woven shirt (long sleeve & shirtsleeve)

-woven flannel shirt with quilted lining

-Skullcap (beanie) -balaclava -bandana

Using a DRONE for backing

Hey, Bill.

Appreciate your input. I will continue researching the topic for further details. I'll keep you posted once I have found the precise answer I am seeking.

Ps. Yes, that is my ugly mug. 6 mos. of not shaving. Can't wait to see what 1 year looks like!

I read your bio. Interesting life of yours. You OTR?

Using a DRONE for backing

Bill, I just figured out how to properly attach the link

How to back a trailer successfully Pt1

Using a DRONE for backing

Hey, there Bill.

I included the link for you review.

Using a DRONE for backing

Greetings forum,

I viewed a YouTuber's video who posts recorded footage of himself backing into parking spots at truck stops. His video includes him commenting on his own skill, such as where he could improve and the such. He clearly and emphatically states that he is NOT controlling the drone as he is parking. The drone hovers over him.

So, my question to the forum will is:

-Can anyone help explain if these drones simply record ONLY or do they provide real-time footage via some sort of screen inside the cab thus serving as an eye-in-the-sky?

Your general thoughts & comments are obviously welcomed

When to apply with Trucking Companies?

Hi Sharon,

I found this great post by a member called Thinkstoomuch titled List of Questions to ask a Recruiter. Type that into the search box.

Your 1st interview, how did it go?

Again, thank you so much to everyone who had been kind enough to reply to my questions. Your personal accounts shed some much needed light onto this new path I find myself embarking on.

Your 1st interview, how did it go?

Thank you everyone for your replies. Truly do appreciate your detailed answers.

Work history

How do I prepare for this?

Sure I have all my W-2's from the past 10 years but what I don't have is accurate contact info to all my previous employers. Is it my responsibility to go out and obtain accurate contact to hand over to a recruiter, so that they can go out & verify my work history?

Your 1st interview, how did it go?

Greetings everyone,

I am asking of you to take a trip down memory lane and try to remember that first interview you underwent for your first real trucking job. Although I am many weeks away from finding myself in this scenario I do like to research before hand and try to visualize myself going through the motions.

So, let's say you are a recent grad w/ CDL A in hand and no experience. How does the interview go? I am sure it's by phone but with smart phones being prevalent can SKYPEing or iPhone FACETIME be implemented as a way of providing a more intimate interview experience? What are some standard type questions and can you remember and left-field questions that caught on off guard?

How long?

Dude, no problem.

There is a lot of knowledge to be gained on this website alone! The members of this forum are quite friendly, sincere, and honest. Feel free to ask any and all questions. Any advise from Brett Aquila is golden, so I recommend seeking out any articles and the such with his name attached to it.

How long?

Hey, there Rick.

I happen to be a newbie to this forum. I recently passed my permit test as well as all endorsements (tanker, D/T, HAZMAT) on the first try. I, too, am the type of student that must re-read materiel in order to fully absorb the knowledge in front of me. My primary source of study materiel was my state's CDL handbook. This websites CDL training tools complimented my primary source materiel very nicely. Shoot, I'll go out on limb and say that I'm quite sure I would have passed the permits exams solely studying High Road CDL materiel. Yea, it's that good! I personally completed ONLY 54% of the High Road training program. I did not complete 100% the High Road Training program because I wanted to thoroughly study my state's handbook.

Here was my routine for preparing for the exams:

-studied CDL handbook

-made flash cards

-practiced High Road program

-took several practice test online

I studied for approximately 8 months. Yes, I know that's a bit excessive but I wanted to be more than prepared for the permits tests. I have never been inside a tractor nor am I mechanically inclined which is why I chose to study that much.

If you can afford to take it slow then do so. If you cannot then I have faith you will succeed under the pressure of time constraints.

Tuition Reimbursement eligibility?

Wuz'up Bill,

Happy to hear you start driving school Nov. 21. I see that you had considered attending company sponsored CDL school yet decided to pay out of pocket. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, would you share your reasons as to why? Just curious is all. I ask because I myself had considered that route but decided to pay out of pocket.

Tuition Reimbursement eligibility?

Hey, Patrick.

Thanx for your time and input. If I graduate from private CDL school, paid out of pocket, I simply present my receipts to the company I sign on with? I mean, I'll have official print outs from the cashiers office at the community college I'll be graduating from and the such.

Tuition Reimbursement eligibility?

Greetings everyone,

I see that companies who DO and DO NOT offer Company Sponsored CDL Training promote Tuition Reimbursement. Does this apply to new CDL holders whom are hired on immediately after completing private CDL school? In other words, after I complete my program at a local community college my new employer will reimburse me my tuition? Am I understanding this correctly?

Solo vs. Team during training

That depends on your company system. At Swift, trainees are paid by the hour: On Duty Driving and On Duty Not Driving time. The miles, all of them, go to the trainer. The Driving time is what gets you out of training when you hit 400 miles.

Hey, Errol. Is ON DUTY when the trainee is behind the wheel and using his personal clock? Also, without prying too much what were the wages like? No offense taken should you not wish to divulge. What is considered ON DUTY TIME NOT DRIVING and is there any time when you do not get paid whatsoever?

Solo vs. Team during training

Nice to meet you, Old school. Greatly appreciate the anecdote. Your words of wisdom do not fall on deaf ears. Personally speaking I do not have a preference whether I fall into a SOLO or TEAM training set-up. I came across these options when researching companies here on TT and I simply wanted the forum to respond.....and respond it has! I pray to the heavens that when it comes time for me to step into that trainers truck that it will be a human who is as eager to bestow their knowledge & wisdom on to me as I am to absorb their teachings.

Solo vs. Team during training

Werner is one of the major companies that hires out of Florida, but I can tell you from personal experience that it is often difficult getting freight into Florida for home time and even more so getting freight coming back out.

Hey, magick. Would you be kind and elaborate on this statement of yours. Possibly reword it in layman's terms for me. Hometime is not my top priority, by the way, being that I'm pretty much a freebird.