Comments By C T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0358244001511466099-48285.jpg avatar
  • C T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

HOS for new people

Had to log in to reply to this. I'm assuming you're still with maverick? I've been here 2 years now. When I started it took me at least 3 hrs to finish a load. Between being inexperienced and paranoid, sometimes it took longer. As you said, you will get faster in time. I've run into several new guys that had similar issues with HOS. What I do is go on duty as soon as I get to a place and put loading in the remarks section. Once you've checked in, backed in or gotten to where you need to be its about 15 min. I'll usually wait until I'm loaded and ready to work before going off duty. By then 30-45 min have gone buy. By the time you're done, your 30 min break is in and you're ready to roll. The only way to get better is by practicing, watching other drivers, asking for help or tips. Everything from how you put your bungies on to how you put your straps away cost you time. You have to figure out small ways of saving time whilst safely securing/unsecuring. I've gotten to where I can do everything in a timely manner so I have more time to drive. Of course some things are out of your control but you get the idea.

And as far as detention pay goes, as long as you show some on duty time they don't fight you on it. If you think it will be a while, send in that macro 42 as soon as it's been 2 hrs and you're not loaded/unloaded. And yes you can be off duty in that time. You have 2hrs from when you send your macro 3 to request it so don't forget.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Urine and hair tests

For our urine test it was a same room type thing. they didn't exactly watch you but they could see if you were doing anything to alter your sample. I don't have much hair on my head so they took some from my armpit. if you can't or won't provide a sample it's not a good start for you. at the end of the day, these companies have a huge amount liability and want to reduce that as much as possible

Posted:  4 months ago

I need to decide between Prime, Schneider or Maverick

No I'm regional Atlantic. I considered the TN dedicated but if didn't want to run that many loads in a week. I'm in the Regional Atlantic division. The TN account may work out for you depending on where you live.

Posted:  4 months ago

Patience at the pumps

Luckily for me maverick let's us fuel at any loves/pilot/flying j whenever we want. not too many fuel options in certain areas so I end up at the dumpy ones sometimes.

Posted:  4 months ago

Team versus solo driving

I've always wondered if the pay for team drivers was really worth it. I've heard of teams at line haul companies making great money after a while and also couples. I'm doing OK here at Maverick and I got my own space. To each their own I suppose.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Lumpers: Highest You Had To Pay

Pardon my ignorance here since I've only done flatbed, but you have to pay people to unload the stuff THEY ordered? Am I missing something? confused.gifconfused.gifwtf.gif

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

DT-12 transmission

What year truck did you get? I had a 13 when I first started and had lots of problems with it

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed newbie.

I'm with maverick now. honestly you can't go wrong with any of the companies mentioned. home on weekends and decent pay is the norm. it will come down to what suits you and your location. some companies have more options in different areas of the country. as was mentioned earlier don't worry about the automatics, most companies are going that way and will train on manuals anyway

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Maverick Glass OTR

I'm starting to lose count of all the maverick drivers on here lol congratulations and good luck out there

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Completed Maverick Student program

Wow. small world, I was there at the terminal Tuesday afternoon. went in a grabbed grabbed a drink, all the students were on lunch break. maybe I saw you? Anyway, welcome aboard and congrats on getting this far. that malvern place is a doozy for your first work assignment but you've got plenty of numbers to call and videos if you need help. stay safe and keep us updated

Posted:  5 months ago

Another Topic Just For Fun - What was your last load? How much did it weigh? How many miles?

Picked this behemoth up in malvern, AR and went to Louisville, KY fairly light at 32k. 500 miles or so

0285043001521165556.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

No didn't cost me anything. if you already have your cdl everything is free.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

I'm regional Atlantic, home weekly

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

Hey marty, sorry for late reply. they keep us busy here at Maverick Transportation. Things may have changed since I left orientation but probably not to much. Just a few things I remember doing include climbing up and down from a flatbed trailer properly, climbing up onto a practice load (over 6ft), balancing on a rail or bench by walking across it, lifting a box of weights, grip strength, eyesight, pulse, reflexes, flexibility and more stuff. if you have specific questions I can try and answer. And sorry for huge run on sentence but there's lots of things they look for.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Deciding between Roehl and Swift Flatbed

Completely understandable glenn. And yea I usually get stuck going up and down 77. Got lucky and ran Midwest this week

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Deciding between Roehl and Swift Flatbed

I've waited a few days to post on this thread because it looked like you were really set on those two companies. Any reason why you haven't mentioned any other flatbed companies? Specifically maverick? Biggest downside is probably the fact that you don't have a clue yet. Our school we use has quite the waiting list. But don't limit yourself to just 2 companies. Lots of options out there.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Picking the right company to start with

Can't really go wrong with any of these companies. There are many more that may suit you as well if you do your research. Don't be so quick to dismiss flatbed. I started flatbed out the gate and so have many others. What you can do is look into companies like Prime, Maverick(where I am), swift, Roehl, that have different types of freight. That way if you decide you want to try one of their options you can make the switch within the company. Good luck to you.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Got cought with weed

Dude wtf please tell me this is a joke

Posted:  6 months ago

Need a little experience

Yo welcome to the forum. Unfortunately what you are asking is not really doable by any company drivers and not advisable anyway. What you will find is that most reputable companies will want you to have either company training or a school certificate with 160hrs behind the wheel. Someone should hop on here and provide some links soon. There are several ways to go about getting your cdl depending on your situation so fill us in.

Posted:  6 months ago

Maverick Glass OTR

There are some dedicated accounts in certain spots, but otr is 2 weeks minimum.