Comments By C T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0358244001511466099-48285.jpg avatar
  • C T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Jerk cut me off then slammed on the brakes bringing me to a complete stop in the middle of rush hour traffic!

I don't belive Richard c is the driver in the video. It has been posted elsewhere before. Also it's unlikely someone would use this as their very 1st post here but who knows.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Maverick Bound

Hey man sorry for late reply, had a late pickup. great to here you got in, which division will you be in? also not really sure how the referrals work but I'd gladly accept one. let me know if you have any questions.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

HOS for new people

I'll say this man. you just started what a month, two months ago? it takes time to become efficient doing this job. It wasn't until I was well over 6 months before I started to "get it". In my opinion, it takes about 3 times doing a type of load like slinkys or anything else to understand how to get it done efficiently. I'd say just hang in there and don't give up. Once you get your big pay bump at 6 months you'll be making better money too.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

HOS for new people

Villain, while flatbed is tough at times its not all bad. I'd rather tarp in the rain for 45 minutes and hit the road than waste away at a dock for 8 hrs. that's just me though. also, figuring out your hourly pay is kinda useless. I don't consider everything I do out here work anyway. if I'm cruising down the road listening to xm radio and sipping a Pepsi being paid is it really working? maybe so but don't feel like it

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

HOS for new people

Had to log in to reply to this. I'm assuming you're still with maverick? I've been here 2 years now. When I started it took me at least 3 hrs to finish a load. Between being inexperienced and paranoid, sometimes it took longer. As you said, you will get faster in time. I've run into several new guys that had similar issues with HOS. What I do is go on duty as soon as I get to a place and put loading in the remarks section. Once you've checked in, backed in or gotten to where you need to be its about 15 min. I'll usually wait until I'm loaded and ready to work before going off duty. By then 30-45 min have gone buy. By the time you're done, your 30 min break is in and you're ready to roll. The only way to get better is by practicing, watching other drivers, asking for help or tips. Everything from how you put your bungies on to how you put your straps away cost you time. You have to figure out small ways of saving time whilst safely securing/unsecuring. I've gotten to where I can do everything in a timely manner so I have more time to drive. Of course some things are out of your control but you get the idea.

And as far as detention pay goes, as long as you show some on duty time they don't fight you on it. If you think it will be a while, send in that macro 42 as soon as it's been 2 hrs and you're not loaded/unloaded. And yes you can be off duty in that time. You have 2hrs from when you send your macro 3 to request it so don't forget.

Posted:  6 months ago

Urine and hair tests

For our urine test it was a same room type thing. they didn't exactly watch you but they could see if you were doing anything to alter your sample. I don't have much hair on my head so they took some from my armpit. if you can't or won't provide a sample it's not a good start for you. at the end of the day, these companies have a huge amount liability and want to reduce that as much as possible

Posted:  6 months ago

I need to decide between Prime, Schneider or Maverick

No I'm regional Atlantic. I considered the TN dedicated but if didn't want to run that many loads in a week. I'm in the Regional Atlantic division. The TN account may work out for you depending on where you live.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Patience at the pumps

Luckily for me maverick let's us fuel at any loves/pilot/flying j whenever we want. not too many fuel options in certain areas so I end up at the dumpy ones sometimes.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Team versus solo driving

I've always wondered if the pay for team drivers was really worth it. I've heard of teams at line haul companies making great money after a while and also couples. I'm doing OK here at Maverick and I got my own space. To each their own I suppose.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Lumpers: Highest You Had To Pay

Pardon my ignorance here since I've only done flatbed, but you have to pay people to unload the stuff THEY ordered? Am I missing something? confused.gifconfused.gifwtf.gif

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

DT-12 transmission

What year truck did you get? I had a 13 when I first started and had lots of problems with it

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed newbie.

I'm with maverick now. honestly you can't go wrong with any of the companies mentioned. home on weekends and decent pay is the norm. it will come down to what suits you and your location. some companies have more options in different areas of the country. as was mentioned earlier don't worry about the automatics, most companies are going that way and will train on manuals anyway

Posted:  7 months ago

Maverick Glass OTR

I'm starting to lose count of all the maverick drivers on here lol congratulations and good luck out there

Posted:  7 months ago

Completed Maverick Student program

Wow. small world, I was there at the terminal Tuesday afternoon. went in a grabbed grabbed a drink, all the students were on lunch break. maybe I saw you? Anyway, welcome aboard and congrats on getting this far. that malvern place is a doozy for your first work assignment but you've got plenty of numbers to call and videos if you need help. stay safe and keep us updated

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Another Topic Just For Fun - What was your last load? How much did it weigh? How many miles?

Picked this behemoth up in malvern, AR and went to Louisville, KY fairly light at 32k. 500 miles or so

0285043001521165556.jpg

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

No didn't cost me anything. if you already have your cdl everything is free.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

I'm regional Atlantic, home weekly

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed Physical Tests..

Hey marty, sorry for late reply. they keep us busy here at Maverick Transportation. Things may have changed since I left orientation but probably not to much. Just a few things I remember doing include climbing up and down from a flatbed trailer properly, climbing up onto a practice load (over 6ft), balancing on a rail or bench by walking across it, lifting a box of weights, grip strength, eyesight, pulse, reflexes, flexibility and more stuff. if you have specific questions I can try and answer. And sorry for huge run on sentence but there's lots of things they look for.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Deciding between Roehl and Swift Flatbed

Completely understandable glenn. And yea I usually get stuck going up and down 77. Got lucky and ran Midwest this week

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Deciding between Roehl and Swift Flatbed

I've waited a few days to post on this thread because it looked like you were really set on those two companies. Any reason why you haven't mentioned any other flatbed companies? Specifically maverick? Biggest downside is probably the fact that you don't have a clue yet. Our school we use has quite the waiting list. But don't limit yourself to just 2 companies. Lots of options out there.