Comments By C T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0358244001511466099-48285.jpg avatar
  • C T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Routing

Sorry for late reply, but it doesn't really matter which way you take. There really isn't a "quick" way around. I live here. The traffic is always terrible, and with the superbowl in town, it will only be worse. Your best bet is to just leave early and flip a coin.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

The flatbedders will understand

The best part is when the 8ft tarp freezes over night and you've gotta basically peel the thing off the load.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Buuurrrrr, It's Cold Up Here!

One of the few things I don't miss about flatbed lol, stay warm out there.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Maverick Transportation

As long as you show up on time and don't do anything stupid it shouldn't be a problem. It is an uncomfortable experience nit knowing what to expect and not being guaranteed anything but you can do it.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Maverick Transportation

Hey nooga, meant to reply earlier but was busy. I went to a cdl school in the area back in 2016. I drove for maverick for 2 years or so before going local. They are a great company to work for and if I ever go back otr that's where I'll be. I wouldn't get too hung up on the "if we hire you" thing. Any company that brings you in for orientation can't promise you'll be hired before you pass physicals and drug tests. That's the industry standard and not a maverick thing. Since you also put in an application with McElroy, you're clearly OK with doing flatbed so why not try Maverick out? Even if you don't like flatbed you can always switch back to reefer.

Now since you live in Chattanooga, home time shouldn't be a problem since tons of freight comes through there. Parking your truck may be an issue since there aren't really any truck stops out there. I lived about 30 min south of chatt off 75 where there were several. You may need to get creative when you bring your truck home. You will see a lot of Atlanta, and I mean a lot of Atlanta. I can't say much about the reefer side but with flatbed almost all of my home loads either went through there or around there somewhere.

Also, the agility test was pretty thorough when I went through there. They also test for sleep apnea if you're neck is over a certain size. The 5 ft crate that wolverine mentioned would be a challenge if you're a bigger person. HOWEVER, we had a guy that was probably 6'8 or taller and over 350 lbs get up there so it's not impossible.

Can't think of anything else but let me know if you got anymore questions.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

LTL DAY CAB meals

I got a lil yeti cup that I keep ice in all day for drinks that I store in my bag. I can keep microwavable stuff in the bag and heat it up later. Unfortunately since I'm so new I don't have an assigned truck or route so it's pretty tough right now.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

One year later

Bruce. There are millions of white drivers out there. "Minorities and those with limited opportunities" is a thing of the past pops, just saying. Anyway, if I were you NeekIODN, I'd try to get into ltl somehow. I'll be 29 this year and want to build a nice future for my family. Ltl jobs can be very rewarding once you have seniority built up. It's not uncommon to make 100k+ doing drop and hook no touch.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

*sigh* Western Express

Brett we really need a popcorn smiley on here.

Posted:  2 months ago

My update

BTW milage pay is very competitive here.

Posted:  2 months ago

My update

I'm with FedEx freight

Posted:  2 months ago

OTR Ride Along Training Question

Well unless there's some medical issue or something seriously impeding your ability to live with someone else you're going to have to tough it out. We've all been there before, some have had better experiences than others but you push through it. At least one year of otr is recommended before moving on to something else, especially o/o stuff which is another story.

Posted:  2 months ago

My update

Sounds similar to my recent move. I've been with FedEx since October so I'm low on seniority with you lol. Welcome aboard

Posted:  2 months ago

PA interstates shutdown

Hey Rainy at least you didn't have to get out there and tarp lol. Stay warm

Posted:  2 months ago

PA interstates shutdown

I do miss some aspects of otr but this is not one of them. It's a bone chilling 50 degrees out right now and I'm on the couch. Be safe out there drivers.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Got it narrowed down to 2 companies.....I hope

Close to the GA boarder you say? I used to stay by the boarder myself off 85. Hometime wasn't a problem. But let's clear one thing up, no recruiter can guarantee you anything. They're in an office behind a desk being paid to recruit you. I'm not saying the company won't try and deliver on those promises but nothing is written in stone when it comes to some things. As far as pay goes, I'm not sure how McElroys works so I can't say for sure, but Maverick has everything posted on their website. They have single bunk midroof sleepers for solo drivers and condos for trainers.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Got it narrowed down to 2 companies.....I hope

2 excellent choices to start off flatbedding. As far as which one is better, do you like red trucks or maroon? I don't believe there's a clear winner here, it depends on which suits you better. I was with maverick for 2.5 years, nothing bad to say about them. They're not perfect obviously but they did what the recruiter told me they would. I will mention that they have some of the nicest equipment for flatbed amongst the major players. Not sure how McElroys trucks and trailers are outfitted but Maverick had newer trucks and trailers. Everything will really depend on where SC you are. If you're close to the coast, home time will be an issue, with Maverick anyway. Parrot may be lurking sonewhere, he's the McElroy expert around here. I'll be glad to answer any questions when I can.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Dry van or flatbed

We can't really tell you what's best because only you know your situation. Some people recommend getting some dry van experience before trying another style of trucking. Like turtle said, I'd only pulled flatbed before I came to FedEx. I enjoyed the hours the most, being outdoors and the challenge of each load. Dry van may be more straight forward but it's no piece of cake either. Decide what you're looking for in home time, pay, equipment, area of operation, etc and go from there.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Get Rich? 😆

Well I'm a road driver, not sure what you city slickers are up to. But there's always dock work available.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Get Rich? 😆

I've only been with FedEx a few months but there's plenty potential here. There are guys here that do very well for themselves. Ltl is definitely an upgrade.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sleeping on ramps

Absolutely not. Not only is it extremely dangerous, you can also get a ticket. An officer can wake you up and tell you to move anyway. Best thing you can do is plan ahead and park it early if you must to make sure you get yourself a spot. I don't know ow what you haul or what hours you operate but I'd avoid ramps for sure.