Comments By Cory D.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-blur.jpg avatar
  • Cory D.
  • Comments:

Having a truck without an APU

Is there any chargeable inverter that you can plug into a cigarette light for a long time to run on its own without charging...? Something like a generator.

Having a truck without an APU

In addition to Not4hire's great information, and additional thing to keep in mind, is that many devices that use motors (blow dryer, food processor etc...) use roughly2-7 times their normal current at start up. So If its a 12v 2amp motor, at start up itll be more like 12v 10amp.

If unaccounted for during your power distribution planning, you'll at best trip the fuse and at worst you'll burn down your truck. So be sure to either start those heavy draw items first, or have a more than ample electrical system to run your gear.

At best I'm just going to use a inverter for my laptop, heater and possibly cooking.

I'm not trying to get too power hungry and burn a fuse.

Having a truck without an APU

Just remember, big inverters draw big power and can deplete your batteries quickly under continuous use. My recommendation is to run the engine (or APU) when doing something like cooking a meal or making coffee. Then you can shut off the engine and eat your meal in peace-and-quiet while surfing the web with your laptop plugged in.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject. The issue I have with my truck is it doesn't idle when it's cold.

Any suggestions?

Having a truck without an APU

Thanks, any difficultly setting it up?

Just plug it in to one of the 12 volt outlets in your truck.

Cool, first time getting one so bear with me.

Do you know if they run on their on supply source? Because it might drain the truck battery much quicker.

Having a truck without an APU

All kinds of power inverters...up to 400-450 watts that plug in 12V or much more if wired directly to battery. It's up to your company as to which way they let you do it but just a laptop, tv or small stuff the 400 watts should be fine. If you're talking microwave you'll need a little more I think. I run a 410 watt and its fine for my tv tablet and such.

Thanks, any difficultly setting it up?

Having a truck without an APU

Is there anything I can use to have steady electricity in my truck? My last company had one and it's a different ball game with one now.

Plus I was planning to bring my laptop as well. Any help is appreciated.

Fedex Ground vs Schneider Dedicated

If you're being offered a dedicated job with weekly hometime, they're only gonna send you so far away before working you back toward home.

I'm only a Driver for Schneider, not a Recruiter. I don't mean to contradict anyone, but dedicated usually has a specific area. Also, that dedicated position is probably listed on schneiderjobs.com, check it out.

Where do you live? That might make a difference also.

If you're still trying to decide and getting home weekly is a must, you gotta get a firm confidence level on the job's ability to meet your needs.

Yeah that's what I thought myself, I think the second woman I talked to was misinformed. I live in MS, it said on the site Schneider is supporting one of their primary mill location in Pennington AL.

Fedex Ground vs Schneider Dedicated

You wanna know where you'll go? I'm not sure. If they told you it's Georgia Pacific dedicated, the recruiter should be able to tell you.

I've only hauled a few GP loads and here's what I know; your trailer better be damage-free, clean and in GOOD repair. Some GP locations will reject a trailer >10 years old. I mean they even check the cross members underneath. Also, their drop lots (especially in the south) are horrendous mud puddles. But what's new, right?

Plan on finding the location in the middle of nowhere and sometimes very difficult in the dark.

If you plan for a crazy experience, you will probably do just fine. Like a lot of things in trucking, right?

My recruiter told me I"ll be going from Oklahoma/Texas to Georgia/Carolinas, after doing some research on it and talking to another person who works in recruiting she told me I'll be going to all 36 states or something of the sort in the east coast. I mean I know the routes won't be the same but now 2 ppl are telling me 2 different things.

No problem man, I'll have to check into Express though because I didn't know they had route deliveries too, and the no benefits thing to me is a turnoff.

I thought you needed some years of exp before you can haul freight for Fedex? I got 8 months at most.

It may vary depending on the area. Where I live when I applied I only had eight months of driving experience (didn't have a cdl at the time) and they were going to take me. I never ended up working for them but I really liked them. But it is a non-cdl job.

Interesting, I gotta do some more research, got at least a week to decide something.

Fedex Ground vs Schneider Dedicated

The guy told me it's seasonal but if I put in better performance it could turn into full time, they seem like nice ppl even thought I'm leaning more towards Schneider for that experience just like you said and better pay. As look as they are willing to route me back home like they claim then I am more than happy with that.

I was surprised when the guy told me that FedEx Ground isn't actually employed under them, they are just contractors that work for them hence why they don't have no benefits.

Sorry I didn't realize you already knew that about FedEx. If you were to get on full time it's a great job -- pretty steady work and you get your exercise. But no benefits sucks. Have you looked into FedEx Express? It's more or less the same thing (more residential deliveries rather than businesses) but they don't contract out like Ground does, so you'd get benefits and probably better pay. It's also not a bad plan if you want to get into semi-driving eventually since FedEx does have an apprenticeship program to get your cdl and drive 18 wheelers for them (FedEx Freight).

Fedex Ground vs Schneider Dedicated

Sorry for your loss. And your Dad's situation.

Only YOU can answer the deciding questions. Most important is MUST you be there every day for your Dad? If so, decision is made, right? If not, what's the plan to care for Dad?

Schneider has been good for me, but I'm OTR. $50k is probably more realistic for year two.

Thanks, it's a tough one but like I said I'm leaning towards Schneider because with me being gone for a week isn't bad but the 2-3 weeks of being away really got to me after the recent events that occurred.

Btw, what are some of the places Schneider goes to? My recruiter said I'll be hauling paper goods.

Sry fot the double post.

Fedex Ground vs Schneider Dedicated

If you need to be home often to take care if your dad you might want to look into some other options honestly. The Schneider is almost definitely the better of the two. Is FedEx Ground offering to employ you directly or through an agency. Are you sure it's a permanent position? I also interviewed for a job with FedEx Ground last year and found out it was a seasonal position and I wouldn't be working directly for them. From what I understood even the full time drivers didn't work directly for FedEx but worked for third party companies.

To break it down..Schneider will pay better although you'll be working more. They also might eventually have options to have you home daily if you stick around. You will also get verifiable tractor trailer experience with them. Schneider is probably a better career choice, but what is best for you really depends on what you need.

Sorry for your loss. And your Dad's situation.

Fedex Ground vs Schneider Dedicated

Hey guys, I now have two jobs that are being offered to me as we speak I would like to hear others suggestion on it.

I already got my foot in the door for Schneider where I was told I'll be making .34 cents per mile and my miles are averaging up to 2400 -2800 a week and suppose to equal out to 53k - 58k a year. I'll be on a georgia pacific account where I'll be home every weekend and has benefits.

Fed Ex Ground, I was told I'll be making 90 or 100 dollars a day driving the small Fedex Box trucks running routes and delivering mail to ppl. They don't have no benefits but said they are working on getting some there so I'm not sure how long that will take. Not sure how much these ppl are averaging a year but I could imagine it'll be less than Schneider, plus I'll be home everyday.

I'm torn between the decision though, my mom passed 2 months ago and my dad is sick and has no one to provide care for him if I'm not home.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Starting to have doubts with this profession

Well Schneider did say they have a dedicated route where I'm home every weekend, but I already got 3 preventable and they still willing to accept me.

I'm skeptical on the situation.

If you do stay otr, you're probably best off staying with Maverick for a while. The longer you stay and the more people you meet, the less you are "just a number."

Tbh if I ever do go back to OTR they're the only company I can see myself going back too. Their terminal is like 10 miles away and they work with you to get you home.

Starting to have doubts with this profession

I drive for Maverick, they don't go all 48 they're like midwest and southeast. They're not on a contract either but I asked for a dedicated account but to no avail there wasn't one. I might ask if they got one in Glass though b/c I'm running reefer with them.

They're a great company thought and my FM is nice.

Gotcha. If you are really determined to stick it out for a year just so you can get that sense of accomplishment, I'd keep asking. Don't just ask the same person over and over. Do that, and ask different people. I'm sure there are other options you dont know about.

If not, no big deal. Lol. That's just what I would do.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I'm skeptical on the situation.

Starting to have doubts with this profession

Hey there.

I've been with my company for 7 months and it's about to be my 8th month with them, at first when I started out driving trucks I liked it, it wasn't bad and you get paid weekly. One of my gripes is that you be home every 2 or 3 weeks which is why I'm trying(Keyword "Trying.") to stick out this year thing with the company.

Honestly I would've preferred driving a straight truck that involves me doing something other than driving.

Today I was at Sysco in Memphis, this was my third or fourth time being there at the receiving, the backing there is terrible as it was not designed for a truck with a sleeper cab and a 53' foot trailer from what my Trainer told me months back and I believe him too. I like truck driving and all but I hate getting these feelings like "Why are they sending me here to back into an area not designed for these type of trucks/Trailer.?" Granted, that this wasn't the first time I've had backing like these but it's really starting to wear out on me. I wanna be content with the job I'm doing.

I got an interview with Waste Management(Face to Face) where I'll be driving a Straight Truck and possibly be more involved with the work besides driving from what I've been told on the phone with them.(Hopefully.) I'm actually trying to push for a straight truck job as we speak, WM was a start and I can only hope it gets better from here on out because I'm ready to turn the keys in.

Don't get me wrong they're a good company.

What company are you with? Do they have any dedicated or local gigs you could get on where you'd be home more often or even every night? I'm running dedicated with Swift and it's alot different than typical otr. Maybe they have shuttle runs, where you just drive 500 miles round trip each day, the same exact trip?

There's nothing wrong with leaving in less than a year, unless you've got a contract to keep--then you might end up owing your company money. Still, it's neat to achieve a goal you set for yourself when you started. Ask around at your company. There are probably options you dont know about.

They're a great company thought and my FM is nice.

Starting to have doubts with this profession

Hey. There is no shame in finding out that OTR is not for you. There is about a 90 percent turnover rate in this Business. You certainly are not alone. Waste Management is a huge company. It should be a very stable job. There will ALWAYS be garbage, and SOMEONE has to haul it!

rofl-2.gifshocked.png

Good Luck!

Thanks, they start you off with 16$ an hour which isn't bad in Mississippi, just trying to see what my options are b/c OTR isn't the answer lol.

Starting to have doubts with this profession

Hey there.

Don't get me wrong they're a good company.

3 preventable accidents in the first year

I agree with that. If your Company stuck with you through three preventables, I think it would be a very nice "Thank You Card" to stick it out with them for another year. I don't want to say you owe them, but...........maybe you do?

smile.gifgood-luck.gif

Yeah, my FM is nice as well.

I just hate now that I look back at the accidents I caused now and realized there were so many things I could've did to prevent it. After the trip to NY and NJ it bolstered my confidence.

3 preventable accidents in the first year

Like how do you deal with something like this under your driving record? I mean I've gotten much better at the job than I was back in the past but now if I try to get on with another company that has an better offer this is the main thing they'll look at.

Keep in mind most companies have a three strike rule.

The only reasonable choice you have is stick it out for at least another year to prove you can drive accident free for a full 12 months. Or work for a Mom & Pop that isn't as concerned with that, but likely you will not have a better deal there.

Be safe.

Got nothing to lose with the first suggestion I guess.

3 preventable accidents in the first year