Profile For Infidel

Infidel's Info

Boulder City, NV

Company Driver In Training

3 years, 11 months ago

Infidel's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Jim Palmer

Are you retired with tri care? If not check their healthcare. It's a weakspot. My GF sells insurance so It wasn't a issue for me.

Swift, Prime, or Roehl

Well I have done 2 orientations so far since graduating from CDL school last October. First company ended with a terrible experience. Second is Roehl. Matter of fact Im there now.

So far I have nothing bad to say. And a lot good to say. First I had my choice of transportation too orientation, or what they call phase 1. Which is more accurate cause you will do more than normal orientation at other companies. Most companies will let you rent a car and they may reimburse gas or up too the price of a Greyhound ticket. Well not only did they pay for all of it. But they rented it for me. I just had to pick it up. Their phase 1 is orientation and real world training rolled into one. I have been here since Monday and this morning we spent hours practicing 45 and 45 degree backs. The kind you might have to do in a truck stop. Which you dont learn in school. I was just me so I had a great opportunity to do one after another. Thats the thing as well. We only had 2 people here in my phase. Unfortunately the other guy didnt cut it. But that leaves me alone till Im done on Monday. Thats a lot of one on one with an instructor. But I did get kinda lucky on that. We have also had classes on route mapping, load securement and log booking. Everyone here is very respectful and professional so far. I am scheduled as of now to go with my OTR trainer Monday or Tuesday. Its kinda up in the air so far. Im not officially hired until Monday.

Jim Palmer

Thats the over the road training part after you have your CDL. Its going to be team driving from the beginning once you go with your trainer. And you will run hard from the first day.

They just started their CDL program. Which I didn't do. So I dont know about that.

Im going too try to send you a PM. Never done it before.

Roehl longevity bonus?

Nice, let us know how it goes. :)

What if you tell them you don't want the bonus at all (now...or later)? You can't owe money that was/never will be given to you!

Yeah I found out that the money that you payback is actually not the bonus. Seems to say that in the contract. In legal speak. Its kinda confusing. So if you refuse the bonus it has no effect.

Roehl longevity bonus?

So I pulled the trigger. Decided to sign the contract. Mostly because of all the positive stuff I saw about Roehl. From posters here and other sources. Not all the information I found was positive but most was. And most of the bad stuff was a little old.

I report 4 JAN in Phoenix. And so far so good. As a matter of fact I already have one good thing too report. Once the paperwork was finally signed and we were getting set up for what I need to be there. They asked "So what is your preferred method of travel?" what? Every other company I talked too (which was a lot) just sends you a greyhound ticket. If you want to get there another way then thats on you. They told me I could fly, bus or rental car. So I said I would prefer to rent a car (yeah I dont like to fly, I have control issues. Not pretty I know. But it is what it is). So they then told me that they would set up a rental with their preferred rental company and they would send me the reservation. Even asked if I would like to pick it up the day before I travel. Too easy!

Only thing I worry about is getting home when they say they will get me home. Only cause I never see Roehl trucks coming through my part of Southern Nevada. I dont go into Vegas much anymore so maybe they run on the 15 mostly. But I never see them run through Boulder City. Which as some of you may know gets a lot of interstate traffic funneled through it. I asked about this so I will have to trust them.

Signed training contract

Good Luck!

I too have done the deed. Just for the OTR training part. I already have my CDL.

When you go out with your trainer (sleeping situation)

It might take all of two minutes to completely change bedding. But a sleeping bag will resolve that issue. It's really not a big deal. Training is going to be so stressful that where you sleep will be the last of your concerns, you'll probably be grateful to get any kind of decent sleep at all. Getting used to the truck moving while you sleep without waking up constantly is a chore for many.

Honestly that's my main concern more then anything. I'm already setting myself up as it being complete hell for about a month. Sorta like being in Alcatraz. I know some might say oh that's a negative way of thinking not to me it's not. There is negative, positive and then realistic thinking and i think realistically. You are basically moving in with a complete stranger living in a box and it's another dude. I don't even move my girlfriends into my house that quick.

It's crazy nothing else about this job has me worried more then the time out with a trainer. Plus if you get one that you don't get along with all those other problems become that much worse. I watched a youtube video of a knight driver kicking his student out of his truck on the side of the highway.

Well it took me longer than 2 minutes. I did it wrong. I brought a sheet set. Fitted sheet, regular sheet, a blanket and pillow case. I wasn't told about team driving so I was ill prepared. And Im a little picky about how I set myself up.

And yep I got very little sleep in 10 hours. The constant moving and swaying was unnerving.

And like you. This is the worst part for me. Its just gonna depend on the type of person I get. If Im paired with the right trainer it wont even be like working. But if its another like my first.... ugh.

When you go out with your trainer (sleeping situation)

So you change the bedding every day? The trainer has his bed setup with his sheet blankets and pillows so when its time for you to sleep you move all of that off and put your stuff on? Sounds like a blast.

Thats what I had to do. And yeah it was big fun.... Specially while hes rushing you.

Are Emotional Support Dogs Allowed In Trucking?

Blake H. said.

"So someone with depression shouldn't be allowed to drive? Or PTSD? Well there goes 80% of your workforce and most veterans."

Not true. One of my jobs in the military was mental health. Most of the veteran population have never seen combat. And out of those that have its hovers around 10-14 percent of those who report symptoms of PTSD. This is a hard stat to track. As PTSD includes a lot of things. Its a moving target with lots of variables. Time being a big one.

I was able to sit in on a study by a group studying the effects of stress on the human brain. They were working with the Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape school. Reportedly one of the most stressful schools a regular soldier could get into. It was just really neat to here these people talk about peoples brains reacting to stress. As it turns out the most combat troops have a much lower instance of PTSD overall. The lowest being in the Special Forces community. These guys that probably see the worst warfare has to offer. Most reported PTSD cases seem to come from the guys who didn't expect (and maybe didn't get as much training for) being in the thick of combat. But were put there none the less.

In perspective feeling sad or angry doesn't mean you are broken everyone feels that way sometimes. Its how well you deal with. Even if its diagnose-able doesn't mean your malfunctioning. Even remembering bad things form the past doesn't make it PTSD. Their are lots factors that go into it.

Just neat stuff I learned I thought I would share.

Are Emotional Support Dogs Allowed In Trucking?

One of my friends is about to start school...does swift accept ESD (Emotional Support Dog)?

Just find a company that allows pets. Their are lots of them. It was the last thing that made me finally do this. I found out some companies will let me bring a dog. Just know many shippers and receivers have strict rules about your pets. Not allowed out on their property and definitely not in the building.

Are Emotional Support Dogs Allowed In Trucking?

One of my friends is about to start school...does swift accept ESD?

As a lifelong dog person, I've been involved in dog training for years as a member of a kennel club when I lived in Illinois. Never heard of an "emotional support dog" though, is that along the lines of a "Service Dog" or more like a "Therapy Dog" Certified by TDI? Certified service animals are covered by ADA, so service animals are allowed in public places such as stores, restaurants, and yes even in the workplace. There are some caveats but I'm not quite familiar enough with the law to know all the nuances. I don't think therapy dogs have the same protections since they don't go through the same level of training required of a service dog.

Neat another dog trainer turned trucker. I too was a professional trainer for many years. My personal experience lies mostly with working dogs however. Protection, scent detection and now sheep dogs (aka herding). I am a firm believer in that a dog should never be breed for how it looks.

As someone stated per the ADA rules these dogs are NOT service dogs. The trouble with this is they usually have no training. They are just there to make a person feel better. Well by that definition you have just described a pet. What normally happens is that person will tell their doctor they need this so the doctor will write a note/or maybe a prescription for this "emotional support dog". And said person goes to the internet orders them a new service dog vest. Their of too the grocery store to show everyone what a special snowflake they are. Problem is that that a note from your doctor is not legal. Its not binding under the ADA. But store owners are way to scared to challenge it. So in most cases people get away with it. And I have seen these dogs on tables tops were people eat. Nonstop barking on Buses, laying out in the aisle (instead of under the seat or the person as true service dogs are trained to do). They have little training at best. This is going to become a problem for those people who actually need their service animals. It just takes a few bad instances. When I drove the handicapped bus we had one person who's ESD would bite you! You had to be careful.

Sorry if I sound kinda harsh about it. But this one thing I do know a lot about. And I'm sick of not being allowed to take my very well trained dogs into places like parks. Because of other peoples failure to control or clean up after their dogs. Only to see a owner chasing down their "service dogs" cause they wanted to come see me. We went to a national park here in Nevada. Brought the dogs only to see a no dogs on trail sign. Not even on leash! While we left our dogs behind we saw 4! Yes 4 dogs on that hike. All with their little orange vests and no obedience at all.

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

I have never seen that either. Just the OJT military apprenticeship program. Also you guys may already know this. But that is part of the GI bill but its a bit different. You get it no matter if you took the GI bill or not (Yeah I was one of those... Dont ask! I will just say I was young and stupid and wanted the beer money.). If you served a certain amount of days after 9-11.

A different view of team driving before going solo

Sorry I messed that post all up. Was trying to quote just one sentence. Didn't work. And it blocked out yelled? It was funny cause my girlfriend was in the room saying goodbye for the day and she read it. "Wait a minute. This a trucker forum and your not allowed to swear!?" Lol just thought I would share that.

A different view of team driving before going solo

Phox wants "proof":

Also, it is sad when owner-ops get into training simply to have free labor to drive for them. They would be the last to argue for side-by-side training.

This is exactly what happened to me. I can see some benefit to team driving for the person being trained. But I will not do it again.

I dont know how its supposed to work but in my case my trainer was very little help at all. After the first day he was asleep or on the phone. Only too get ****ed when I was doing something wrong. But it seemed like a whirlwind when I was doing it. Seemed like we had very little time for training. But that was probably just him.

When you go out with your trainer (sleeping situation)

I did teams with my trainer from day 1. And I was told we would not be teaming. So if you don't want too, make sure they are very clear about it. It was gross but my case was extreme. I have to go with a trainer again and I won't hire on with a company that does teams as part of training. Just my personal preference.

Trainer refuses to put chains on is saying we are gonna wait a week for snowstorm to pass

"Not all trainers should be trainers," A -freakin- men!

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

Yes, please post and let me know what they say. I really do like what I see on their website. However the website says 120k miles, so 75k is even better

I know that the 75k is for those with CDL's coming into the company. Pretty much all we need is to do orientation and then get assigned our trainers.

Do you have anything specific you want to know? I'll be sure to add it to the list. They're my first choice and, if we both go with them maybe we'll see each other! :D

Yens!!! We pulled that game out! Sorry had to add that...

Yeah thats cool Harley. But I wasn't mad at the company for the contract. I was disappointed but not mad. I understand why they do it. All companies have an angle to retain good people. I don't like their angle is all. And Im just a bit jaded I think from a bad experience (with another company). So it set me back. I am 44 years old and worked a lot of jobs. So has my wife. We have never heard of anything like this. Her co-worker who is older has a husband who has been trucking for 20+ years, had never heard of it. He didn't bad mouth it. Just said it sounded weird.

I was a little upset with Errol. I just feel he was quick to imply something that was not the case. And after I tried to correct his assumptions it was like he didn't even read them. So.... yeah I cant help that. All I can do is try not too feed the fire. Which admittedly I didn't do very good job of.

Good luck to both of you guys. If I go I will be going to Phoenix so odds are we wont bump into each other at orientation lol.

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

Hharleywood, I got confused in here and actually thought Infidel had started this thread - My bad! Part of the information I gave him was intended for you. Rather than re-do it all, just take a look at what I stated above, and if you find anything useful, then I'm glad to have offered it!

It's all good here. Thread got hijacked but I think my answer is still here, just gotta sift through the negativity. I already know as a brand new driver I will have e to make a commitment to someone. I am ok with that and also understand why.

Me too. Im as committed to any company as they are committed to me.

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

Hey Infidel, sorry about the references to Swift - I was totally confused when I jumped in here. The Original Poster inquired about Swift, and I got you confused with them.

I remember who you are now, thanks for reminding me about that previous post about your experience with a bad trainer. I think if you can just get past that indentured idea, or fear, you will be fine at Roehl. They have some really great training, but it is shorter than many folks prefer. I happen to be of the opinion that your best training comes after you are running solo anyway. Roehl really has their system down, and will assign you to a special dispatcher at first to help you get the training wheels off and start running like a professional. I like their system, it is fast paced, but they will also make sure you are ready before they put you out there.

I would like to add as someone who has signed their contract that if you are even moderately good at knowing how to work the system out here you will be fine. I normally clear around 2300 miles a week and I really enjoy working for them. They do a really good job at getting me home when I want to go and the pay is always spot on. The main thing that trucking truth doesn't teach is the need to be an independent person everything else I learned from this website and community and I would say I'm succeeding at my new career. That all being said yes there are some rough patches like truck breakdowns and spending 20 hrs at a receiver waiting to be unloaded but all in all its a great company very straight forward and I'm glad I made the choice to be here

Another fellow yenzer? This game is killing me...

Thanks for the feed back. Being that the contract was a miles based thing versus a time of employment thing did give me some pause. 'What if Im not getting miles?'. Seems like you feel me on that concern. But its working out well for you. Overall sounds pretty good.

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

Yeah I feel bad. I totally hijacked it. I was one who wanted more training time with the trainer. After that experience my feeling on that have changed to say the least. So the 2 weeks with a trainer feels good to me. But the training wheel dispatcher ( lol ) sounds like a good to me as well. I didn't know that. In my first 2 days trucking I was made to run my clock out. I was a bit surprised at the pace. Hell I was driving up and down mountain passes in Montana in my first 3 hours. And yeah getting yelled at for not getting it right.

Thanks again!